Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think my favorite part of this game is the thinly veiled loathing most of the athlum crew have for rush. David in particular doesn't stop hating the little bastard until near the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Onmi posted:

Emma is pretty awesome. One thing that's never... quite explained is why Rush thinks Emma was Irina at first, they don't look alike at all. I guess he just figured "Woman on the battlefield, my sister!" but it does feel like they maybe dropped a plot point.

Rush is dumb. Mystery solved!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Or you can use a trainer to manually change classes if you end up with something undesirable because the system is dumb. Being penalized for using the only revival skill available for what, maybe 1/3 of the game (it's been a while) is bullshit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is too bad that the most hilarious of dick moves this game pulls doesn't happen until over halfway through the game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Decus posted:

extra thing they probably didn't need to add--it'd have been easier

Welcome to the Saga series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"It must be a remnant, because otherwise we wouldn't get to say the word remnant 30 times in any given cutscene."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Does anyone actually know why there are like 80 different generics you can recruit? No one is ever going to use them, outside of maybe one of them fulfilling the requirement for a sidequest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I hate the desert because of one particular part of it. Even with increased run speed from a trainer that part was just awful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Onmi posted:

you could always use a trainer to change his class after recruiting them just to try them out. Oh and uh... put the assembly out of your minds guys.

We wont be back for a while...

I hadn't thought of that, given that according to the trainer I used each version of Jorgen counted as a separate character. I ended up using him anyway, because I cheated in more union capacity just for fun. He never really amounted to much, as you might expect. Perhaps if I ever play the game again I'll use an all-Jorgen union.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I ended up missing the major quest in baaluk, and as such never got a unique leader (gee, guess who it is?). Of course, recruiting anyone too late in the game is pointless.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is a very simple explanation for why so many people know who Rush is, now. loving Oakes can't keep his mouth shut.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

I really like Hinnah, and that quest is such a pain that when I did it the first time I was 100% expecting her to join the party afterward. No such luck. :saddowns:

Including Hannah and Hinnah, there are several other characters with quests and unique models that don't join you afterward. I didn't really think much of it at the time, though I'm aware of what it is about now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Sovani are absurdly long-lived. If some mysterious taciturn sovani who has been around for since before everyone else in the town was born starts making vague predictions of doom, he probably knows what he is talking about. Hell, he was likely present when whatever it was was sealed.

But anyway, the academy took a giant unbound remnant? Exactly how does that work? Also, if all remnants remaining unbound cause dire consequences, what exactly is up with all of the treasure chests which are remnants for no particular reason?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 6, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've gotta question the necessity of them being invisible, though. People love filling up bars. It is what the mmo industry is based on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't really see the point of transcribing that much stuff. Just give a reminder of who a given irrelevant side character is if you do their quest. As for the arts, most of them are just pure damage. If one does something interesting then by all means mention it, but why recreate a large part of the wiki? Besides, questions push new pages forward.

But then, I've played this game so I'm probably biased toward minimalism.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You don't play with fast forward on. I can't take how slow the base battle speed is while playing myself, so trying to watch it is exasperating.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The worst design decision in the game is coming up!

And for a saga game, that's really saying something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The reason I think that Emmy is the worst design decision in the game has nothing to do with the narrative. A large part of any character's usefulness in this game is how long you have access to them. There are several characters who are recruited at the very end of the game, and as such they are largely useless. It takes a long time to develop characters, whether you do it methodically or by just using them. So, Emma, the character you have had access the most aside from Rush, dies and is immediately replaced by her identical daughter. The problem is, Emmy isn't just Emma copied over. As far as gameplay goes, Emmy inherits none of Emma's levels or abilities. She has similar stats and access to more or less the same stuff, but you are starting fresh with her. So, you lose one of the core party members just about everyone uses and get a brand new character whose arts are less developed in return. I guess if you never used Emma for some reason it would be a trade up?

What it comes down to is, why provide a replacement at all if not to transplant Emma's stats, class and equipment over?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Onmi posted:

I actually kind of preferred that. it'd be even worse if she literally came in as a reskin. I mean it's like saying "Oh yeah we didn't like the 30-40 year old woman with her scars so here's her hot young replacement. literally the same but not cut up or old." Again, she just shouldn't have joined until later.

Then they shouldn't have made Emma so drat indispensable. The only two factors of how good a given character is are their innate stats/skills and how much you use them. And then you have a character with top notch stats/skills who you will (and sometimes must) use right from the start of the game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess the idea of losing your stuff without having any input just galls me. In gameplay terms Emma is an asset, no different from your equipment or money. Who wants to lose an asset they spent time grinding up in an unavoidable cutscene? However, if it was just that, I wouldn't really mind too much. After all, there are still more characters than slots and plenty of game left to go. Emma was good, but no one character is all that important in LR's battle system. But then they also jammed Emmy in as an afterthought. If they are gonna provide a nearly identical replacement at all then why not copy over Emma's status to begin with? Or make her differ from Emma, for better or worse.

Edit: I call bullshit, because that image implies someone used Rhagoh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 24, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Cyclops just looks so goddamn goofy. I don't think Rush's talisman being unbound was ever actually mentioned before now, and then you have a weird jester golem out of nowhere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The public was horrified at the dudes in charge misusing remnants, but the duke regained their trust by saying that he would get more remnants. Hurray for remnants, except for when they suck!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder who would be the guy that mentions remnants in every single scene they appear for mr conqueror?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh no, that dastardly Hermeien was trying to figure out how to turn remnants into weapons! It would be awful if someone managed to use the giant floating doom cannon as a weapon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They are obviously having trouble with mumble mumble remnant something or other.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Pity he never ditched the butt cape, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Onmi posted:

So the game has the capacity to handle 8 Player Unions. So you could use the trainer to give yourself 8 Player unions and 40 Leader limit to deploy everyone. This would ultimately be a problem though as Rush can summon the Cyclopse, which would push it to 9. As would a Guest union.

So the best limit is 7/35 If you want to mess around. I find that fun. You'd be surprised how many fights are still super challenging, and how much are worse due to AoE attacks and having more targets in a union.

That seems like it would slow things down unnecessarily, and the battles in this are slow enough as it is. Personally, I liked using 5 full unions. There are only about 25 good characters anyway, though it seems like I used a bunch of physical characters as mages and vice versa.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This quest defeated me. I quit on the second phase, without ever realizing he was lying about the quantities.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I rushed through all 6 of those points without stopping. That was a mistake!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I remember that the top tier hex was supposed to be great, but I never ground it out so I don't remember the specifics.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't remember this at all. Is Ghor even present if you don't do the stuff to recruit him first?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess it is just me, but I still see their interactions as Rush being oblivious and David seething with poorly concealed loathing for Rush.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Inexplicable design choices are the defining trait of saga games.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"im gonna free all the remnants and then they will eat every person in the world"

"actually remnants are very nice and man is the real monster, so im gonna take them all away"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also i hope everyone enjoys the refugee crisis from cities that were dependent on remnants to make inhospitable climates livable. then there were a bunch of big monsters and such which were sealed by remnants, so that's fun too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are crafting components and only limited amounts per playthrough exist for some of them. on the other hand, save editors exist for lr so gently caress that noise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cheat

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are trainers, at least one save editor, and i'm sure there are a few cheatengine tables out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jeez, i would never have the patience to try that bullshit for hours on end.

• Locked thread