Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Rush (Mystic)
Torgal
L.

David (Combat)
Pagus
Blocter

Emma (Combat)
Baulson
C.

It's what I'd probably do. A restore-user in each union and the characters I like the voice clips of best as leaders. I mean, I guess Pagus is kinda wasted in a Combat union but eh.

Also I have a mixed bunch of feelings on Mr. Diggs. I like he's just some random mole robot appearing out of nowhere and the game's all 'welp, have at it!', but I hate that loving loop chance animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Count me in on someone who'd benefit from a lore cheat sheet. I was pretty much going 'why should I care about this sidequest? Why's everything called Mantroskylo?' after reading.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

A little typo: your table of contents for the lore post says "The Skykes"

Really helpful, though. Nice and neat. But man that's a lot of npc background chatter.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Sidequests. definitely.

Melphina looks freakin neat. Shimmery blue spheres just hanging out above the town.

Roobanguy posted:

i like to imagine he stuck his hand out for a high five after saying this.

Rush really does seem like that kind of goof. :allears:

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Beating old men up is its own reward?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Looked at it now, but it wouldn't bother me if you just went over them the once in the relevant introductory update without going back and adding as you go.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

In the first round, the Ferocious Lion tore one unfortunate member of the Balterossan team into six pieces and threw them into the stands!
That sure was a spectacle to see, Jimma, but at least five lucky fans left with a truly memorable souvenir!

Heh. Hell of a mental image.

I like Caedmon. I vote for him.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

I'm more of a screenshot kind of guy. I typically only watch videos whenever someone says "you should watch this".

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Something about that casual spray of stone the Conqueror flicks up at Emma really gets to me and makes me think 'jesus this Conqueror guy is real good at murdering folks isn't he'.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Emmy's first meeting could be reporting to David in Nagapur after laying some groundwork into confronting Hermeien. She's already traveling, she's got a personal stake in his takedown so she has a reason to be proactive and it gives a chance for another "spitting image of her mother" scene if they really wanted to keep that. But then again, she'd have to get the information Marina just gave the rest of the protags somehow first. And I can't fault the timing of what happens here if Emmy came back to Athlum to pay her last respects to her mother and she has to re-enter David's service.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Huh. That... makes a lot of sense. The way Cyclops came out of the ground made me at first think it was just somehow sleeping underneath the castle or something and Rush seized the chance to bind it, but if it's his Talisman, that's way neater.

Also nice detail on the benching Rush thing

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Crazed old swordsman, betting rear end in a top hat, and multiple personality hitman seem murderous and evil when you read their quest dialogue, but there's plenty of RPGs where you recruit questionable people to fight for you. This was definitely a surprise for me... Guess Rush isn't getting a date with those girls after all.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

[i]This I think is another misstep the game makes. There is absolutely no story devoted to rationalizing WHY Rush would hire Jager, who kidnapped his sister and was still fighting him in Nagapur. You just walk into the guild and hire him of your own free will. It might have been better if there was a sidequest with him before you could hire him, as a way to bridge the transition of “end of disc boss” to “trusted ally”.

Discussion Question: Were you expecting Jager to be the surprise mystery guest party member? If not, then who?

I don't know, I kind of like that you can just surprise find him in the guild ranks and the fill-in-the-blanks of his description being "Ex-captain of the third committee". It seems like a perfect case of the player's experience matching Rush's. Does Rush and the player give him a chance because he was a tough customer in their previous fights, or does he ignore him because he was a jerk?

I was expecting some random character like Glenys, but this makes sense in hindsight. Who makes for a better surprise than a former enemy? (Hermeien would be the comedy option but he's a stupid dick)

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Want to see more but life is life. No problem.

Looking at all the party members, Jager has like twice the hp as most other character in the game. He's the first to break 3 digits. Super strong? Much better than racist Torgalbuddy.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Flipped a coin. Came up tails. Monster hunting continues(?)

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Huh. That's a weird quest. Do we get to find out that remnant's deal later? Because this is the first time we've had a bigger-than-a-treasure-chest remnant that hasn't gotten a name. Or at least I don't remember any others.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

This dicklord! :argh: Why are you not dead?

No, I take it back, this means we get to kill him. :woop:

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Not sure if this is heading towards everything crumbling down because gently caress you Leshau or if there's actually some sort of optimism here.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

I'll go with 9.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Cyclops picking up the Gae Bolg with its goofy claw hands is just precious. :allears:

No idea what that's about though. It's not like they showed our merry band walking into a remote remnant rejection trap

booksnake
May 4, 2009

We are a patient niche audience(?)

booksnake
May 4, 2009

I'm thoroughly mystified at what is going on. But the big C pasted Hermeien so I don't actually care why he's leaving

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Well, they're called Remnants, so I'd really have to go with "mad science of a past civilization" even if that might be a bit cliche

Pretty weird comment by Ghor, on that note. It's wrong on principle to want to create Remnants...? Why does wanting to make a Remnant make you a fool? It's not like they're all rear end in a top hat types like the sword.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Well, you are starting with your morale bar behind, which means you're underleveled, right?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Darien, I'd say. He doesn't sound like he has much in the way of unique niches unlike the wonder bangle thing or being able to activate arcana

booksnake
May 4, 2009

The essence of JRPGs. Delicious.

Wyngale is great because he's completely batshit. Look at his list of battle quotes.

wiki's fourth entry posted:

-*Insane laughter*

Well, ok then. I feel like I should work in :catstare: into this comment somehow, because it feels incredibly odd that he's on the protagonist side in this game

booksnake
May 4, 2009

I've always been kind of partial to "imaginary" entities going all Descartes and deciding to exist by their own will. You go, Kate.

I was not expecting that bit with Ghor Mysterious Masked Yama, but I suppose that's kind of a common gag in the medium

Also, thanks for enduring the tedium for these character bits

booksnake
May 4, 2009

"They can survive the self-destruct"? What the heck game

booksnake
May 4, 2009

That red ring was a weird way to die... but really, I think the answer to Wagram's question is 'because no one has explained what the gently caress the Conqueror is trying to do except beat up cool old ladies and steal giant swords'

booksnake
May 4, 2009

This guild task bull makes me not want to go back to this game

But the battle clips make me change my mind

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Yeah that didn't look fun at all. I'm not exactly a creative genius when it comes to battle tactics but it looks like the only real move is 'heal every turn or die'

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Every treasure chest is a mimic!

booksnake
May 4, 2009

So if you were just running through the main plot, you'd get a middle-of-the-road Conqueror and getting the weakest Conqueror is some kind of reward for selectively choosing sidequests?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure there were points where the difference between life and death was super slim. Stuff like the first War God leaving you with two unions up, Lob Omen blocking instead of getting killed in its deadlock, the dodge by Ghor where Rush's union would've died after the surprise second War God...

That probably fulfills their design choices, like the 'small instant-kill chance on attack' you said he had, which implies that they want no strategy to be completely unshakable, but hoo boy. Tense stuff.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

quote:

Hinnah, Legendary Alchemist
Zuido, Legendary Bard

:raise: Sure okay game. I can kind of see the Alchemist with her charm special, but Bard???

Awesome fight though. Thinking about it some more, I'm surprised they had the restraint not to throw the paired sisters and Young at you at the same time.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 13, 2016

booksnake
May 4, 2009

In simplest terms, Bard is just the name the game gives a class which has Potions as their highest art. Alchemist is the same for a unit which has Shards as their highest.

Oh, right. Logical (although a bit jarringly flavorless, compared to how everybody gets a unique stat name).

Sweet imposing shot of the Lost just hovering past the edge of the... bridge?

I'm tickled but not surprised that David can death stare someone into submission

booksnake
May 4, 2009

I'll break the rising trend and guess 13 tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Thanks a lot for showing this off.

How fitting that Irina was critical for winning that fight.

• Locked thread