Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I love this loving game, everyone should buy it. I will be watching this with a giant smile. Some of the dialog in this game also makes Rush to be a sassy dick. Not voiced, but most of the text based stuff is swear to GOD the localizers having a tonne of fun with the game.

Also I always modded the game to just equip my party with whatever (It's an option in the Ini, you just change to No to a Yes.) and on later playthroughs, I used a trainer to have all of my unique leaders in unions. Which made battles huge and caused my computer to strain but was SO worth it.

There's also one giant area of the game that I used to set up a battle against somewhere around 200 foes. You'll see it when we get there.

I just... I love this game, it's so fun, the music is so good too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Stelas posted:

Last Remnant owns, as does Dave.

I'm kind of staggered your NG was a 100% sidequest run. Was that, in and of itself, a fresh game? What the hell BR were you when you took on the Fallen?

I was about 86 and beat him in 7 turns, I think I got lucky.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I remember that opening. I watched my brother play a bit of this game.

Looks more interesting than I remember. Maybe I should try it out sometime.

Also, Rush is an idiot, Emma is cool.

Rush is an idiot, but I do like him, because at the very least he has his goal and it's not likely he's trying to drag absolutely everyone in the world to go charging around for it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

the real best thing in this game are the yes/no dialog choices in side quests. who ever wrote those were having a lot of fun.

Yes, good god if you play this game you owe it to read all the incidental NPC dialog and unvoiced stuff. It's amazing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Drachir D Nalem posted:

Wait, you shouldn't grind in this game? That's probably what I did wrong then, because I like exploring and have a need to fight everything I see, upgrade everything I got and collect everything shiny or in a box of any kind.

Here's the thing, fighting what you see properly (that is, chaining them all together with the mechanic that hasn't been introduced yet) is perfectly fine, and you will get through the game... if not great then reasonably fine? there's a lot of invisible EXP bars because it's a SaGa game.

But if you try 'GRINDING' you're going to suffer.

There are two or three areas in the game where you can 'Grind' with specific methods.

Another thing to consider is that the lower level you are, the faster you learn abilities and such, which is why saying "You shouldn't grind" isn't quite correct, it's rather, "You need to fight and grind correctly."

But honestly, so long as you learn chaining, you should be fine.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So... so many mixed feelings. I'll also remove that if it causes a problem.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm glad you're doing this. I absolutely love this game. It's gorgeous, fun as hell, and you can tell lots of effort was put into breathing life into the characters.

I bought it on release day and played the everliving poo poo out of it, but got to a point in the game where no matter what I tried, I couldn't trigger the next plot flag :eng99:

Looking forward to seeing where I went wrong.

Despite all the polish their is one thing the devs didn't manage to put in. A second game mode for another character who has yet to appear.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The fourth stat?
Saga games! Everyone.

I didnt notice it when I first played it but yes, it totally is a saga game in apl but name.

This was literally in development as "SaGa Frontier 3" and then in the end they decided to call it The Last Remnant

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I would complain about how Rush greeted and talks to David, but considering who his parents are I'm just glad he didn't grow up to be a recluse and awkward around people.

The other thing is he grows better about it. In the Japanese audio (which the game comes with just in case you're curious) he still calls him David and acts friendly, the problem was not using -Sama, or in translation, calling him Lord David. But yeah, it's a very good thing that he's not super awkward around people.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rubix Squid posted:

Nice to see TLR getting an LP. It's a pretty great game. Just wish I could figure out how to hack UE3 into letting me tinker with it.

There is a trainer you can use to do fun stuff with the game

So... much fun (Faces of future leaders blanked out)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Charlett posted:

I bought Last Remnant for the 2.50 sale when SE was having a blowout sale on Steam, and I played it all of once and got literally to this point in the game.

I couldn't get further than that because 1, the main character's name is Rush Sykes, 2, the main character *should* have been Emma and I am completely afraid that the game will make her out to be the "evil frozen bitch" (or eventually realize how *wrong she was about Rush's greatness Nyoron*) and 3, The Main Character's Name is Rush Freaking Sykes.

That said, I am hoping this LP tells me how the game works because while I can handle Saga 1, 2, and 3 when I played them on the Game Boy as a 12 year old, I was very much intimidated by the UI and the battles in this game. Maybe I can see that I was wrong about my first thoughts and enjoy it like others have.

So you only got this far and you think the main character should be Emma and you're basing this off a total of... like 5-7 minutes of gameplay.

To be frank, you sound like you didn't want to play the game. Especially if your main problem was "The relationship between two characters who have just met MIGHT be one of one of them being cold towards the other and the other being 'Great' in spite of his beginning of the game stupidity." followed by "The protagonist is named Rush Sykes"

Seriously, the game hasn't even begun yet!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Stelas posted:

Rush owns and that's a fact, and I don't know why the intro's so disjointed and dumb outside of the writers having no idea how to introduce him to the rest of the game. He's upbeat, proactive, and even when things get him down he bounces back in short order.

I hope you go into union strategy a bit, because I love the system but it's one of the biggest stumbling blocks early on, especially against bosses like giant loving birds. When it finally clicks and you start rotating unions in and out it's really neat.

Also formations, I have beaten the game and I really need help to understand formations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

In a vanilla game, I tend to go with Pagus to unlock magic sooner. So do that.

Also yeah at times I feel the translations, while mostly good, had some tonal problems, like with Rush essentially saying "Actually I wanna go investigate around the town" and it comes off as "I'm going to go charge off again on my own."

He is very goal oriented though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think my favorite part of this game is the thinly veiled loathing most of the athlum crew have for rush. David in particular doesn't stop hating the little bastard until near the end of the game.

We had completely different views on Rush and David's relationship.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lotish posted:

Speaking of classes, it sounds like being the class you want can be kind of a hassle, but are there any classes you don't want to land in or is it all just preference?

Scout. And the sad thing is it's really loving easy to fall into Scout, since it just means "Use a lot of Item arts" and believe you me, if you don't turn it off, you'll use a LOT of Item Arts.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Emma is a cool lady. Calm, strong sense of duty and loyalty, facial scars, nice haircut and can kick lots of rear end. That's not your usual first female party member in JRPGs. Usually it's a timid, pretty girl who is a glorified nurse/mother replacement. This game seems pretty cool so far.

Emma is pretty awesome. One thing that's never... quite explained is why Rush thinks Emma was Irina at first, they don't look alike at all. I guess he just figured "Woman on the battlefield, my sister!" but it does feel like they maybe dropped a plot point.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TLR has a lot of charm and effort put into its map designs, but really this starting tutorial stuff can be the most dangerous part of the game. Because until you get out of it you don't have control over unions or anyone else but Rush's equipment. Which is just dangerous.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also the reason to turn of Herbs, for the short version, is that Item arts are also considered when it determines your class. and that's likely to put you into Scout, which is a bad class.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Or you can use a trainer to manually change classes if you end up with something undesirable because the system is dumb. Being penalized for using the only revival skill available for what, maybe 1/3 of the game (it's been a while) is bullshit.

I use the trainer to do silly things like expanding the amount of allowed Unions and units to encompass all of the unique leaders. Well... max of 7 unions because the game crashes if you have 8 and then do something we can't do yet.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 8, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If you what now? I don't believe I've mentioned that yet, since it won't come up for a LONG time and it's kinda neat when it does. Tag or remove that bit, please.

Coming soon, I'm working on a mini-update about Classes and class-changing. Some or all of that will end up in mechanics post after the OP.

The most dangerous part comes up in a couple dungeons from now, just before the game gives you full control.

Done, fingers got ahead of my brain. And yeah that dungeon, I had the best equipment synthesized at the time, and on hard mode, and essentially it was a coin toss if I was going to win. The thread will see when we get there, but honestly the hardest part of the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah the class system in this game has no visible way to track it, no in game explanation, and will likely confuse you until you go read it up on a wiki.

I somehow once locked Rush into the mystic class line even though I was endlessly spamming combat arts.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Glazius posted:

"Don't sweat it, Dave. We're the good guys!"

He really is simple, isn't he?

It's a good kind of simple, but yes, up until this point Rush's life has been living on an island with his sister in a simple existence, so his thoughtset is still very simple.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

David has two bound remnants, the Gae Bolg and it's gun. Another person in Athlem is bound to the Valeria Heart.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

What, were those guys just standing there waiting for someone to come?

It will make sense in time what they were there for. Although the game will keep one mystery under wraps and basically be the only major part of the story and lore you'll be sussing out for yourself.

But Rush will be back soon, and keep in mind as much as he was blindly putting his faith in Athlum, it's pretty obvious to the player that the generals and David mostly see him as a weapon. But his love for Irina (and it wont be creepy at all, he just wants to protect his little sister. Also I hate that things have gotten to the point where I have to specify that it is love of family.) means that he is willing to cast aside Athlum rather than sit it out.

Both Rush and David and the generals will grow to change in attidudes towards each other. And as Stabbey said, Rush never repeats this mistake of charging out with everyone trying to stop him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

We're not quite out of the tutorial yet. One more dungeon and then the game officially steps back and goes "You got this poo poo." unfortunately that final dungeon, especially on hard mode, can be impossibly hard. As for the mysterious woman who gives you the first side quest... I have beaten the game and I still don't get her deal, maybe I'll figure it out this time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

I always got the impression it meant he was snooty or entitled like a stereotypical socialite rather than possibly gay.

Wagner doesn't give a gently caress about what anyone thinks about him. Dude also has the DEEPEST voice in the japanese audio, like... I know sometimes there's a disconnect but holy crap.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

Oh I know all about (I thought his name was Wagram), I just meant from an aesthetic approach. I was gonna hold off til we saw him more, but yeah, don't let the fan fool you.

Eh, I'm bad remembering names without double checking. I just thought he was a caster when I first saw him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This boss can wipe you in hard mode before you even get a chance to attack. even on NG+ with the best synthesized weapons this guy is a FUCKER.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

Worse than Final Fantasy Tactics Chocobos? Chococure :argh:

on the first turn of battle the birds have the largest dick move in the world. You'll see when we get there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

My main problem with ally requested material is when they start asking for things that don't drop and can't be mined. It's all fun and games until Damien decides to be a dick

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Again, the unvoiced dialogue in theis game, especially the accept/deny quest dialog is funny as hell, and you can tell whoever was doing it had a ball with it. It also leads to Rush being a hilarious dick.

Also I was unaware the game started dropping hints about the Conqueror this early,

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Agean90 posted:

It takes a very special kind of douche to call himself Wilfred Hermeien.

Old Willy is NOT the Conqueror, we wont be meeting him for another short while.

Also the moment we get to Elysium is about the same time the game pretty much takes its hands off the controls and goes "Have fun with that." because there is a full 1/3rd of the world map you will NEVER go to unless you decide to explore it. And it's a lot of content that's a lot of fun to play through. In fact one of the things that sold me on The Last Remnant was how it promoted exploring the world to find content, because again, must be stressed. You never have to explore that part of the continent, but there's like 4 towns and countless areas down there. It brings back the old school mentality of optional content that you didn't have to pay for.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Again, the moment the characters began asking me for items that aren't dropped, mined, or brought I just went "Bugger this for a game of soldier" and kit them out myself.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also, Beltarossa is a town that I'm 99% sure the game plot never goes, in fact it's basically the gateway to a third of the world, and you've never forced or prompted to go down there.

This is where the game cracks open puts its feet up and goes "Right! You got all the basics down right? Now explore to your hearts content!" and I loving love it for it!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I hate the desert because of one particular part of it. Even with increased run speed from a trainer that part was just awful.

I know that part, Stabbey knows that part, everyone who plays TLR knows that part. It's the worst part of the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Decus posted:

It's a real shame some of Jorgen's more interesting unique classes are locked so late into the game. If you want to recruit him soon-ish, before he'd probably just see the bench immediately rather than soon after, I think it's actually only a choice between two classes since I remember the third needing an item from the second half of the game, even if earlier than the item for the other four.

I've thought about cheating in the items early, but far as I can tell you then run into the issue of the PC version assigning the Jorgen with those classes a near end-game starting BR, stats to somewhat match and weapons that definitely match. You could put in the effort to change all of those things too, but absent that the best you could do is work your unions such that as a whole his is smaller/more balanced to your actual BR at the time. Never done it, but have thought about it.

you could always use a trainer to change his class after recruiting them just to try them out. Oh and uh... put the assembly out of your minds guys.

We wont be back for a while...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

For Jorgen... hmm... Aristocrat The sad thing with Jorgen is yeah, his multiple choice past is really interesting and you'll never use him. Not as bad as the 360 version where NONE of the unique leaders are getting used.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Huh, I could have sworn you were going to set up the other quest so you fought both bosses at the same time. I guess you didn't wanna risk it.

And the worst part of the game just passed us by, gently caress the Silent Soul, because you don't know what the pillars are until you talk to them, so what took 16 minutes could easily take double or more. The only way to deal with Silent Soul is Window TLR, activate a Trainer to give yourself triple speed, and just saying "gently caress Everything" and rush it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That’s impossible as far as I know. Do you remember how side-quests instantly dump you into the appropriate dungeon? You can only have one active at once.

No it's entirely possible, if you do then one of the bosses will join the fight as... sort of a guest.

It changes no rewards but It's interesting, and I have tried it myself so I can confirm it works

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I actually wasn't going to mention anything because I didn't remember... Anyway, I think this is one of the reasons the game is so fun to me. It's dense as hell. And I never even found Baalurk my first time through even with the exploring. But you can pretty much explore all of Beltarossa's areas from the moment You're allowed to leave Elysion. I don't remember many roadblocks in this game in fact. beyond the game itself expanding previously unreachable parts of areas for quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yeha Rush is starting to become a Big Shot among the cities due to all the insane things he's doing in the side quests. But yeah most of the quests we've left behind either can't really be done, or are easy to forget.

Still we're going back now, and it's time for more of the plot to get written.

• Locked thread