Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
10 years ago today, HDI and I commissioned. Ooof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SheaMMd8H5g&t=130s

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Godholio posted:

10 years ago today, HDI and I commissioned. Ooof.

All nobles must hang.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Rekinom posted:

I don't know how you would ever get a more obvious sign in life that you can do better than this job. It's like you're dating a really fat girl to build up your self esteem.

Enlisted marry fat girls though

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
drat I got sacked with the most try hard hua supervisor and it's already looking like things are gonna blow

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

On the bright side you just scored front-row seats to their eventual spiral into hopelessness and despair

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
I managed to only make an rear end of myself once by backing into a podium at the squadron xmas party. I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't get more drunk :(

Did get to wear a workaholics bear suit tho and have people's wives checkin me out all night.

If only my body didn't turn into a little bitch when liquor is poured into it.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Alright, got orders to Korea and I'm leaving in a couple of months. Should I buy a phone here and get it unlocked or just pick up one of their huge tablet phones?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Option C: Drink yourself stupid and recreate Michael Hutchence's finest work.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

Option C: Drink yourself stupid and recreate Robert Mapplethorpe's finest work.

Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

I :airquote: a lot

Eyre Kneed posted:

Alright, got orders to Korea and I'm leaving in a couple of months. Should I buy a phone here and get it unlocked or just pick up one of their huge tablet phones?

Osan or Kunsan?

It's been 10 years since I was there, but I'd just wait and get a phone when you get there. There's usually half a dozen shops that'll jailbreak/root your device and put all kinds of god-mode apps on it.

AntennaGeek
May 30, 2011

Either someone in my squadron is having a bad time with chemo, or they thought it'd be funny to leave four handfuls of pubic hair in the urinal.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Well it has begun. SSgt Tryhard sent me stupid passive aggressive fb message because I didn't attention some mandatory squadron function last Friday. I was told about last minute as I was heading out the door and it sounded like a social thing, not mando at all. I haven't seen him so I asked a few of the other guys and they're like 'wtf that definitely wasn't mandatory, we weren't there'. I ask him about it and he said some poo poo along the lines of, "for MY airmen all these events ARE mandatory. You at least need to show up and shake hands for 20 minutes or so."

gently caress right off with that

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Rough Lobster posted:

Well it has begun. SSgt Tryhard sent me stupid passive aggressive fb message because I didn't attention some mandatory squadron function last Friday. I was told about last minute as I was heading out the door and it sounded like a social thing, not mando at all. I haven't seen him so I asked a few of the other guys and they're like 'wtf that definitely wasn't mandatory, we weren't there'. I ask him about it and he said some poo poo along the lines of, "for MY airmen all these events ARE mandatory. You at least need to show up and shake hands for 20 minutes or so."

lol

welcome to the life of a (non-flying) officer.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Rough Lobster posted:

"for MY airmen all these events ARE mandatory. You at least need to show up and shake hands for 20 minutes or so."

Did he clearly state this in your initial feedback? Flip the script on him and say his standards weren't clear and that you can't read minds...and that his standards are gay.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Nah we didn't even have the feedback yet.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Tell him to gently caress himself with a concertina wire wrapped broom stick.

If command doesn't clearly state mandatory, my rear end is going to volunteer its self to be sitting on the couch drunk. Not knob slobbing some fuckwit MSgt that I don't even know.

Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

I :airquote: a lot

some fuckwit MSgt

That hurts man...
:qq:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Also defriended him from facebook...

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Merry Christmas everyone from The Netherlands! These are all over Amsterdam right now:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Went home. Happy Holidays from California. Yay for mild weather

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Slobber posted:

Osan or Kunsan?

It's been 10 years since I was there, but I'd just wait and get a phone when you get there. There's usually half a dozen shops that'll jailbreak/root your device and put all kinds of god-mode apps on it.

Basically this. Both bases have some guys in the BX that will do it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The Onion's Top Drones of 2014

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Rough Lobster posted:

Why would you be friends with your supervisor on facebook? You can restrict non-friend messages too.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

xaarman posted:

Merry Christmas everyone from The Netherlands! These are all over Amsterdam right now:

How many airmen from Spangdahlem have died?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

lol...this would've been even funnier to me if they'd used actual tail numbers, because I've physically worked with both of those Reaper airframes and one of the Preds.

Gonna print off one of the Pred ones and put it up at work since it's one of our current tails.

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth
Any air force nurses in here? I've just graduated and I'm toying with the idea of rejoining the military.

I just wanted to know what deployment schedules/locations were most prominent for nurses.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

SirDrinksAlot posted:

Any air force nurses in here? I've just graduated and I'm toying with the idea of rejoining the military.

I just wanted to know what deployment schedules/locations were most prominent for nurses.

A Colonel nurse vented to my buddy when he worked in Retirements for a half hour about how she was punching because she was sick of her nurses. The Air Force was hurting so bad for nurses they basically did whatever they want because they knew the Air Force needed them more than they needed it and were a bunch of self-entitled shits that basically formed a union against leadership. Sounds pretty drat good but this info is a few years old so I don't know if it's changed since then.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

SirDrinksAlot posted:

If you want to be a good nurse, stay far away.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SirDrinksAlot posted:

Do you believe Motrin is the cure for everything from chronic bronchitis to seizures to Raynaud's Syndrome? If so, Air Force medicine my be right for you!

Because that's all they wanted to give three of my coworkers, each of whom had one of these.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I like how all of these answers could be seen coming and none of them actually address deployment schedules/locations. Afraid I don't have any answers either.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Locations are everywhere. Not just air force installations, either. Deployment schedule is something that can change on a moment's notice. The AF standard used to be 4 months deployed, 12 months home, if you deployed. Then it shifted to 6 gone, 12 home, but still not everyone was deploying. Now, based on what I'm hearing from friends still in, you're either gone for x months then home for the minimum dwell time required then gone again, or not deploying at all. The AF seems stuck in this unpredictable purgatory that's halfway between the old "deploy as a squadron" concept and the individual-based AEF cycle.

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth

Godholio posted:

Locations are everywhere. Not just air force installations, either. Deployment schedule is something that can change on a moment's notice. The AF standard used to be 4 months deployed, 12 months home, if you deployed. Then it shifted to 6 gone, 12 home, but still not everyone was deploying. Now, based on what I'm hearing from friends still in, you're either gone for x months then home for the minimum dwell time required then gone again, or not deploying at all. The AF seems stuck in this unpredictable purgatory that's halfway between the old "deploy as a squadron" concept and the individual-based AEF cycle.

That sounds like a pretty lax deployment sched actually.

It's something i'm seriously considering as I kind of miss the routine, the uniform, and the discounted movie tickets.

Any idea how it works for prior enlisted? Any idea on what the actual process is from sign-up to getting out into the fleet? Do nurses go through a type of officer training school? and what rank would I actually enter in as? I assume it'd be an O-1, but I haven't heard any concrete info.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

I like how all of these answers could be seen coming and none of them actually address deployment schedules/locations. Afraid I don't have any answers either.

Dude, nobody knows deployment schedules anymore. We got in our nice comfortable desert rut and now like Godholio said some people are going like crazy and others not at all. So, I guess that's the answer for him - nobody knows! If you really don't want to deploy, a good bet is to try to avoid anywhere AFSOC has a presence.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've heard that at least as far as AMC goes, you aren't allowed to volunteer for out of cycle deployments. :eng99:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

If you can read through GiP and still think "hey, this isn't a half bad option" then you either should sign up or get a lobotomy.

6 and one half dozen to the other. Option two just saves you 4-6 years and gives you better post surgical care.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

If you can read through GiP and still think "hey, this isn't a half bad option" then you either should sign up for sodomy or get a lobotomy.

It just has that ring to it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SirDrinksAlot posted:

That sounds like a pretty lax deployment sched actually.
Any idea how it works for prior enlisted? Any idea on what the actual process is from sign-up to getting out into the fleet? Do nurses go through a type of officer training school? and what rank would I actually enter in as? I assume it'd be an O-1, but I haven't heard any concrete info.

Yeah it was great. But it disappeared a few years ago. Keep in mind that being not-deployed doesn't mean you're home. You've still got TDYs and training to go through, which might put you in rear end in a top hat, AZ for a few weeks here, Nellis for a few weeks there, then 8 weeks in Alabama, etc. My favorite is how during the four months prior to deployment (spin-up) we weren't allowed to take leave. Then four or five months deployed, then an immediate three week TDY followed by seven months in a training program that doesn't allow leave. Graduate, then "You're a month behind your crew in spin-up." Deploy for five months, then ANOTHER no-leave training program (over 270 days long), then back into spin-up. Etc.

Edit: Actually nurses go through COT, which is the easier version of OTS (COT is healthcare professionals, lawyers, and chaplains, BOT is everyone else). So your rank would depend on your career experience. If you're a new nurse, you'll be an O-1 or O-1E.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
"Hey its that medical guy! You look like Luigi, we love you!"

I was going for the Captain Price look with this mustache I haven't shaved in like 3 months but whatever. Africa is cool because everyone is either naked or dressed like a ninja but they all live in filth and its hilarious.

• Locked thread