Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Niggurath posted:

That's where all the danger in people's lives lie. To the left.

They don't call it the sinister side for nothing! :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

Was it my imagination, or did the POV get shifted down a couple/few feet when we began seeing the action as Asahi?

I noticed that too. That and the lighter footsteps are a good way to indicate that you're now a child character.

KillerEggplant fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 18, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Niggurath posted:

That's where all the danger in people's lives lie. To the left.
Technically for this game series it's true because in the second game you get a curse on your left eye I think that lets you see spooky stuff.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Fabricated posted:

Technically for this game series it's true because in the second game you get a curse on your left eye I think that lets you see spooky stuff.

So then does all the spooky stuff happen in the left screen? Cause if so that sounds pretty cool, and with this game's control scheme would mean that can't see the danger if you're looking directly at it. :ghost:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

dijon du jour posted:

So then does all the spooky stuff happen in the left screen? Cause if so that sounds pretty cool, and with this game's control scheme would mean that can't see the danger if you're looking directly at it. :ghost:
Hmmm, that makes me curious as well and I'll probably try out the game either way just for shits and giggles. I'm also a bit curious as there is a new mode unlocked in this game called 'Unseeable Mode'? Or something like that and I have no idea what it is.

KillerEggplant posted:

I noticed that too. That and the lighter footsteps are a good way to indicate that you're now a child character.
Aye, it's a pretty subtle change overall and it really adds to that entire scenario. Also I'm still surprised how well the cutscenes in this game look and just how grisly the game will get for a Nintendo game.

Also even though it was on the previous page, I do appreciate this picture of Davey:

Especially with his cocked eye view.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 19, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dijon du jour posted:

You can see environmental bits touched by the curse with your left eye, and it fuzzes up when regrets get close so it's basically like using the TS in this first game to see if they're nearby without the hassle. You can see most of the regrets in the game though with your uncursed eye though.

Also the second game has you pick between two locations every day rather than just a standard linear path. There's more cursed game action as well, including a cursed "I Wanna Be the Guy" style platformer.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 19, 2014

WhiteHawk
May 5, 2009
Really diggin' the LP as always Niggurath.
The game isn't scary to me - but it's interesting and sort of eerie.

HOWEVER
I was in Japan two years ago and I visited the Nakano Broadway mall thingie from a couple of posts ago.
So... I made this
http://imgur.com/a/DsTg3

See if you can spot the areas we've been in as brave Davey!

BenS
Nov 11, 2014
Man, fall behind a little bit and suddenly the entire story changes on me. I wasn't expecting anything like Asahi's mom getting murdered. Or the entire debacle at the company.

I kind of like how the game's changed it up a bit, and especially how it finds ways to play things to its strengths. The way the screen blurred while you were listening to Riko's statue, right before she appeared was the perfect way of building up that scene and the subsequent flight, seriously.

Definitely looking forward to the last days wrapping it all up. Very curious about how it plays out.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Yeah, I was sort of expecting a programmer at the company to go stir crazy and harikari so their ghost would haunt the game. Because if they couldn't finish the game then no one could!!!/spoiler] That doesn't make much sense, honestly. I definitely wasn't expecting [spoiler]someone from the company to go and murder the man's family. There had better be a decent reason for that.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I sincerely love the music in this game and this section has one of the better renditions of the game's main theme.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I guess you don't need to get caught by the spooky ghosts to die or turn into a regret or whatever. I still don't get what happened to Odaka.

Like everyone else just kinda...became a regret, and Riko got grabbed by Odaka.

Odaka somehow drowned.

Also another thing that's a staple in Japanese horror games: All forms of Japanese spiritual wards don't do jack poo poo. Prayer ropes, paper talismans, holy salt, gates, sacred seals, Dokko, sutra boxes, willow branches, prayer beads, etc usually festoon everything in J-Horror games that focus on Japanese spirituality/ghosts/etc and are useless.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As good as this game's sound is the lighting is a different story, the flashlight does weird things when it hits the walls and those candles were just literal spheres of light with a radius.

So right at the very end there You weren't actually being chased by Ooyama? It's just the funky bassline setting the mood for those final 5 minutes?

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

What a cool game and a sorta refreshing take on J-horror games in general. It's a shame this never left Japan, but of course it's anything but hard to explain why this is.

Still, it's quite fun to imagine what certain "localized" versions of the game might be like. If this were set in the US, the "nameless game" probably would be an old-skool Doom-style FPS. In Germany, on the other hand, it most likely would be either a point-and-click adventure game or some kind of crappy vehicle sim, and in Sweden, it just might be some kind of brainy platformer.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Going to state the same thing everyone else has said: this game's atmosphere is great! Although it's a little goofy to be dodging ghosts only to get a game update and immediately boot it up. At any rate I'm on the edge of my seat to see how it all ends, thanks for doing this LP.

So when you're playing this for the first time, and you're getting killed by the regrets due to lack of clairvoyance...does that kill the mood of the game?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Going to state the same thing everyone else has said: this game's atmosphere is great! Although it's a little goofy to be dodging ghosts only to get a game update and immediately boot it up. At any rate I'm on the edge of my seat to see how it all ends, thanks for doing this LP.

So when you're playing this for the first time, and you're getting killed by the regrets due to lack of clairvoyance...does that kill the mood of the game?
Really the only frustration is when it seems like you should be able to get by a regret and instead the game expects you to backtrack, or leave the room, to get by. That's why the mall was more of an annoyance; the hotel usually gave enough audio tells and by this point in the game you're used to being on edge with the presence of ghosts. Also the game is pretty good with allowing you to save whenever you want with the 'Suspend' function in the TS menu.

fixelbrumpf posted:

What a cool game and a sorta refreshing take on J-horror games in general. It's a shame this never left Japan, but of course it's anything but hard to explain why this is.

Still, it's quite fun to imagine what certain "localized" versions of the game might be like. If this were set in the US, the "nameless game" probably would be an old-skool Doom-style FPS. In Germany, on the other hand, it most likely would be either a point-and-click adventure game or some kind of crappy vehicle sim, and in Sweden, it just might be some kind of brainy platformer.
Yeah, it's a bit bizarre to me that they'd localize something like Theresia and not this game when I think that there'd be a larger audience for Nanashi. I think though that the literal title of the game could be a pretty easy sell to America, the problem would be if they tried to leave in the pun for the title as well and it would come out to "Nameless Game (774....because you see those are evil numbers in Asian cultures and also the game is a seven day curse and four is death....and well it's a nameless game too)".

Also there's my own confusion with the sequel being titled Nanashi no Game: Me; because the me is a kanji for eye and I keep mentally thinking it means like 'me' as in 'I'....and I'm just an idiot.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

As good as this game's sound is the lighting is a different story, the flashlight does weird things when it hits the walls and those candles were just literal spheres of light with a radius.

So right at the very end there You weren't actually being chased by Ooyama? It's just the funky bassline setting the mood for those final 5 minutes?
In the end I was just happy I got the flashlight working properly in the emulator; the game mostly runs well but there are two instances where the game wants you to use the flashlight and to get that running properly requires other stuff....but yeah, it never looked that great in the first place in the game. But it does it's job mostly of limiting your view and leaving you worried.

Also yeah, as far as I know, Ooyama is merely chasing you in that single hallway and not any further. I've honestly been trying my best to look for every scare or event because it does have some interesting scares, and just some doofy scares. Like the blood bath and the evil distorted Hitsune Miku or the occupied toilet. It's just weird to me how other LP's I found just kinda rushed through the game and missed this stuff.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I guess you don't need to get caught by the spooky ghosts to die or turn into a regret or whatever. I still don't get what happened to Odaka.

Like everyone else just kinda...became a regret, and Riko got grabbed by Odaka.

Odaka somehow drowned.

My guess would be that the game forced him into becoming the drowned sacrifice from its first chapter. Given that what's inside the game seems to be capable of affecting the real world in various different ways - the regret in this chapter being chased away, or the flowers in the subway cars before Riko's death, for example - it doesn't seem to me to be too much of a stretch that it could drown his sprite and accordingly drown him outside the game.

I wonder if the game starts in the same place for every new player? Or do its chapters swap around, presenting a different narrative for each player?

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
A question for those more familiar with J-horror, what's with the twist here? Looking over most J-horror since Ringu, including games like Corpse Party, this type of twist always seems to be present. Is this a spin on a standard trope in classic Japanese cinema? The message that it is impossible to defeat your fate is pretty ingrained in Japanese fiction overall, so are horror characters just oblivious to genre conventions?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Burzmali posted:

A question for those more familiar with J-horror, what's with the twist here? Looking over most J-horror since Ringu, including games like Corpse Party, this type of twist always seems to be present. Is this a spin on a standard trope in classic Japanese cinema? The message that it is impossible to defeat your fate is pretty ingrained in Japanese fiction overall, so are horror characters just oblivious to genre conventions?
The game isn't over yet.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Maybe this was asked before, but what's the deal with the items? Do you need them all to get the "good ending"?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

BKPR posted:

Maybe this was asked before, but what's the deal with the items? Do you need them all to get the "good ending"?
Yeah, they are required for the good ending; I've just been purposely vague about it.

Burzmali posted:

Yeah, it's just the go to with Japanese horror endings to be either super bleak and hopeless, or bleakly happy (i.e. everyone is dead and the hero is emotional/physically destroyed but the evil is destroyed). Whether it be Ringu, Ju-on, Kairo, Noroi....all of them deal with being unable to escape and the inevitability of death.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I wonder if you can cheat angry J-Ghosts out of trapping your soul in torment forever by killing yourself before the deadline. Does J-Debt follow you into the grave?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Better yet, get another curse from another ghost and have the two ghosts fight over who gets your soul.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
"Oh, hey, creepy TV girl. Why are you here? You want my soul? Boy howdy, get in line. Creepy DS and creepy cell phone girl are already here, I'm still waiting on Satan and that kid from the abandoned subway car."

E: I get the odd feeling that this somehow exists and is probably a weird high school anime.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 24, 2014

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

And now I'm thinking of Cabin in the Woods.

I'd hate to spoil anything about it, but there's a brilliant subplot in it with some relevance to the topic at hand.

"How hard is it to kill nine-year olds?"

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 24, 2014

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Jsor posted:

"Oh, hey, creepy TV girl. Why are you here? You want my soul? Boy howdy, get in line. Creepy DS and creepy cell phone girl are already here, I'm still waiting on Satan and that kid from the abandoned subway car."

E: I get the odd feeling that this somehow exists and is probably a weird high school anime.

Gather up all of the 7-days curses, then go solve the Hellraiser puzzlebox.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Is "kid from an abandoned subway car" a reference to something?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mraagvpeine posted:

Just generic "train to nowhere" urban legends.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Japan just has very strange urban legends, like the slit-mouthed woman.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Niggurath posted:

Japan just has very strange urban legends, like the slit-mouthed woman.

I, for one, prefer the Toilet ghosts. Yes, there are two of them. (Disclaimer: not really any weirder than Bloody Mary when put under analysis)

E: While Hanako-san (the first toilet ghost) is basically Bloody Mary in that it requires a specific ritual, the Slit-Mouthed Woman, Red Mantle (second toilet ghost), and Teke Teke really embody that sort of "you're hosed" aspect of Japanese horror. Where due to the inscrutable whims of fate you come across some ghost and there's really just not much you can do about it at that point.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 24, 2014

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jsor posted:

It's the setup to the j-horror harem anime nobody asked for.

Also, inescapable fate my arse, the slit mouth woman is the most easily flustered murderous spirit I've ever heard of:

Wikipedia posted:

When the legend reappeared, the 1970s rumors of ways to escape also emerged. Some sources say she can also be confused by the victim answering her question with ambiguous answers, such as "You are average" or "So-so". Unsure of what to do, she will give a person enough time to escape while she is lost in thought. Another escape route is to tell her one has a previous engagement; she will pardon her manners and excuse herself. In some variations of the tale, she can be distracted by fruit or candies thrown at her which she will then pick up, thus giving the victim a chance to run. She will also be at an advantage to run toward you if she has the chance. Another way is for the child to ask her if the child is pretty; she will get confused and leave.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Asian ghost/demon mythology can get really weird.

There are Asian demons you can stop by throwing a fist full of rice at them, because they are compelled to stop and count all of the grains.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That's like the old vampire myths.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, it's just the go to with Japanese horror endings to be either super bleak and hopeless, or bleakly happy (i.e. everyone is dead and the hero is emotional/physically destroyed but the evil is destroyed). Whether it be Ringu, Ju-on, Kairo, Noroi....all of them deal with being unable to escape and the inevitability of death.
I'm just curious as to why the protagonists are so determined to "get to the bottom of it" before the curse runs its course. In American horror, typically the source of the curse is discovered midway through the second act and then the protagonists spend the rest of the movie running around looking for a hammer large enough to drive whatever spiritual stake they've got their hearts set on through the weak point of the monster.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, they are required for the good ending; I've just been purposely vague about it.
One thing I wish the game did was give the Adventure Game/RPG aspect of the game more substance than just being an extension of the story. I can't imagine I would have started looking for items until after visiting the mall and by that point it seems like it's too late to get the best ending.

Aside from the off colored flowers at the gravestone, is there any real indication from the game that you should be collecting these items until the end?

quote:

I remember the ending to Apartment 1303 (the japanese version) echoing this. "Even if you solve the problem, you still will be killed" seems to be a common theme with these types of horror stories.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Jsor posted:

Depending on who wrote it, I might watch it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

One thing I wish the game did was give the Adventure Game/RPG aspect of the game more substance than just being an extension of the story. I can't imagine I would have started looking for items until after visiting the mall and by that point it seems like it's too late to get the best ending.

Aside from the off colored flowers at the gravestone, is there any real indication from the game that you should be collecting these items until the end?
From my own perspective it's just meant to be another unfinished aspect of the meta game and part of the overall mystery about the purpose of the game itself (which gets explained more thoroughly in the final day). But sadly no, there's no real indication that you need to collect them; it's just additional flair for the curious.

Burzmali posted:

I'm just curious as to why the protagonists are so determined to "get to the bottom of it" before the curse runs its course. In American horror, typically the source of the curse is discovered midway through the second act and then the protagonists spend the rest of the movie running around looking for a hammer large enough to drive whatever spiritual stake they've got their hearts set on through the weak point of the monster.
On that end I'm not entirely sure; most J-horror I see usually leaves the true horror as a twist at the end. Like in Ringu it was thought that just laying the soul of the little girl to rest would solve it but guess what...she's actually evil and going to kill you! I honestly think sometimes that the Japanese will take a working idea and beat a dead horse till it's a fine paste, and that's where some of these tropes really start to develop more than any societal reasoning. So Ringu, and it's take on horror, became an international success so they decided to keep doing it.

Which is a shame because hidden underneath that are some real interesting horror gems like Hiruko the Goblin or the super bizarre Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

If the girl is getting revenge on her papa for the sake of her and her mother...why is she taking it out on others that have no relation to the family? If she hates the game the father worked on, why not just make it an unplayable mess then?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

If the girl is getting revenge on her papa for the sake of her and her mother...why is she taking it out on others that have no relation to the family? If she hates the game the father worked on, why not just make it an unplayable mess then?

It's like in Ju-on. It doesn't matter that you didn't do anything to the vengeful spirit you moved into the house, or in this case you played the game.

Niggurath posted:

From my own perspective it's just meant to be another unfinished aspect of the meta game and part of the overall mystery about the purpose of the game itself (which gets explained more thoroughly in the final day). But sadly no, there's no real indication that you need to collect them; it's just additional flair for the curious.
I can't remember the ending of this game so I guess I'll have to wait to put everything in context. I do wish that there was more emphasis on using the game to solve puzzles in the real world rather than just dumping plot. Since the game is meant to reflect real world places it would be neat to have the player swapping between the real world where they have to evade regrets, and the game world where they have to maybe unlock doors that correlate to the real world or move objects out of there way. Maybe just do more puzzles like the train sequence where an action in the game helps the player know how to avoid danger in the real world.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Pixeltendo posted:

She already explained her hatred extended to all games and TS users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jsor posted:

John Constantine pulled this off by selling his soul to two powerful demons, and if they tried to claim his soul they would spark a massive war in hell - something neither wants so they were forced to cure his cancer to delay things until they figure out what to do.

• Locked thread