Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Skinty McEdger posted:

Yeah I don't disagree with this at all. There is a problem now where it's almost like the American scene where if anyone gets truly credible in the jrn's they're pushed up to the heavyweight scene. Also while I've liked the matches, I don't think the annual feed the Jrn champ to the IWGP champ main event does anything for anybody, except reinforce that the heavyweights are more important.

They could have made Ibushi the New Liger. Hell, he's young-ish, they still could. It'd be amazing, if he became the new Jr Ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

They could have made Ibushi the New Liger. Hell, he's young-ish, they still could. It'd be amazing, if he became the new Jr Ace.

Ibushi and NJPW have both made it clear his future is in the heavyweight division and that he's now above the jrn's. I don't see him being relegated back to it.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I really wish they would get rid of the weight classes. any jr that gets over heavily will be moved up anyway. I'd miss Best of the Super Juniors but I think it would be for the better

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

quote:

LARIATOOOOO!!! ‏@SenorLARIATO 22m22 minutes ago

Updated the #NJPWworld recommended viewing list; http://tinyurl.com/NJPW-WORLD all of the 2000's done, onto the 90's next

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/edit#gid=0

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Too sweet. This will help in my quest to watch at least two matches a day.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Thauros posted:

You're right that they need more talent in the pipeline but this is a bit unfair. No one had a loving clue who AJ was and that was in a much bigger arena than Sumo Hall with a card with much less notice. If we go by sheer numbers there was still more people in the house for the AJ match than either of the two IC matches with Fale.

i couldn't check before since i was on my phone but cagematch says both Nakamura/Fale matches outdrew AJ/Okada, the first by 150 or so and the second by about 700. no clue if those figures are accurate. your other points are fair though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

What's up with the colour coding on this?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

i couldn't check before since i was on my phone but cagematch says both Nakamura/Fale matches outdrew AJ/Okada, the first by 150 or so and the second by about 700. no clue if those figures are accurate. your other points are fair though.

Ok the Yokohama show was admittedly slightly more of a disaster than I thought but I'm still not completely wrong:

Back to the Yokohama Arena - 7,800
Dominion 2014 - 7,300 Super No Vacancy
Destruction in Kobe 2014 - 8000 Super No Vacancy
(Numbers courtesy of Strong Style Spirit)

SO it was in betweeen. 500 more than Dominion, slightly less than Destruction

Okada's sold out the midsize arenas for title matches against midcarders - upper midcarders like Kojima, Anderson, and Makabe so I don't think he deserves the blame here. Nakamura's the most popular guy in the company by the metrics of merch sales and World searches but Okada's a draw.

Putting the belt on AJ turned out to be a smart way to create a new viable top level heel but it took a while for him to build heat.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 4, 2014

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

AJ and Tanahashi popped their first sell-out in that arena since what like 2007 or something right? I forget the details

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I've never watched NJPW, should I buy this?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ya

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

elf help book posted:

That depends, do you want to watch some NJPW?

If you do, then sure buy it. If you don't, I wouldn't recommend buying it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

If you have any interest in NJPW at all you should at least give it a shot for the big Dome show January 4th. If it turns out that it's not your thing just cancel.

epitasis posted:

AJ and Tanahashi popped their first sell-out in that arena since what like 2007 or something right? I forget the details

First Sumo Hall sellout not counting G1 Finals since 2007, and that was a special Chono anniversary show.

Edit:

quote:

enuhito(English) ‏@enuhito_eng 18m18 minutes ago

The owner of NJPW Kidani said the realistic goal of NJPWWorld for the first year is 30,000 subscribers.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 4, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Thauros posted:

If you have any interest in NJPW at all you should at least give it a shot for the big Dome show January 4th. If it turns out that it's not your thing just cancel.

Yea, I've been holding off because I assume I'll want to watch that and also not watch it live.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Someone please explain this match to me:

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00132_1_7

(Sting vs Tony Parumora - 1/4/95 - Meltzer: -****, worst rated NJPW match of all time)

Why is Tony wearing gloves
Why is poo poo
Why this tournament
Why.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maxallen posted:

Someone please explain this match to me:

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00132_1_7

(Sting vs Tony Parumora - 1/4/95 - Meltzer: -****, worst rated NJPW match of all time)

Why is poo poo
Why this tournament
Why.

Is that the Tourney that crippled Rick Rude pretty much?

Also in terms of new pushes is Goto too old or part of an older wave?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

gfanikf posted:

Goto is the same age as Shibata. He's been due a good push for a while, but he's really been victim to being the right guy at the wrong time a few times. When they look like they're gonna push him, suddenly there's a better guy to push.

Shame, because Goto is consistently great, and his finisher, the Shouten Kai, is one of the best in New Japan.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 4, 2014

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

maxallen posted:

Why is poo poo
Why this tournament
Why.

Antonio Inoki.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

elf help book posted:

You like weird MMA fights? NJPW was doing them 10 years before PRIDE.
You like puro classics? NJPW has its fair share.
You like best modern era big stage wrestling on the planet? NJPW is doing that right now

Hate selling? Go watch Dragon Gate.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

gfanikf posted:

No it was a stupid one night only NJPW tournament that was MMA Themed. It was Inoki vs. Gerard Gordeau, a guy who was a savate champion in 1991. Tony Palmore was a Karate fighter in the late 70s early 80s and by this time looks like he might have been retired. Inoki had some shoot like fighting to him but Sting was just a body builder trained to pro wrestle. So you have Sting and an old retired karate fighter having a worked shoot match where Sting looks like a complete chump with the fakest and weakest punches I've seen thrown knocking him to the ground. In the end Sting wins that match, Inoki wins his match and then wins the whole tournament.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KungFu Grip posted:

No it was a stupid one night only NJPW tournament that was MMA Themed. It was Inoki vs. Gerard Gordeau, a guy who was a savate champion in 1991. Tony Palmore was a Karate fighter in the late 70s early 80s and by this time looks like he might have been retired. Inoki had some shoot like fighting to him but Sting was just a body builder trained to pro wrestle. So you have Sting and an old retired karate fighter having a worked shoot match where Sting looks like a complete chump with the fakest and weakest punches I've seen thrown knocking him to the ground. In the end Sting wins that match, Inoki wins his match and then wins the whole tournament.

I watched Gerard match and its hilarious because Inoki gets legit lit up several times. Gerard gives no fucks.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KungFu Grip posted:

NJPW's slump during the early 2000s before Jado and Gado was because Inoki loved stuff like this, right?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00211_2_8 peak bullet club

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

dsriggs posted:

Antonio Inoki.

Oh I forgot the next match in this stupid 4 man tournament is Sting vs Inoki, where the match is literally:

Sting gets like 3 long holds on Inoki and I think a single suplex to mix it up. Inoki barely makes it to the ropes each time. Sting hits Inoki with a scoop slam for 2, Sting tries again, Inoki reverses it into a sleeper, Sting and Inoki drop to the mat, the ref looks down and calls for the bell. That was literally the only offense Inoki got the whole match, and they didn't even do the arm drops or an extended fight for conciousness.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

BigRed0427 posted:

NJPW's slump during the early 2000s before Jado and Gado was because Inoki loved stuff like this, right?

That & Inoki encouraged his guys to do stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN-MZUUU1tU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGiIc50-SEc

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I love them so much but that bicycle is so, so ill-advised.

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark
Holy poo poo, Buffer did Bom Ba Ye? Wow.
Yeah Inokism is the best/worst thing to ever happen.

I took Lariato's advice on F4Wonline and watched some early 90s Hase, which I haven't seen in years.
Jesus christ that guy is incredible. Was it just his size that prevented him from getting the main belt?

Gatorfade fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 5, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
As a disgusting shoot-style fanboy, I love Inoki-ism in the same way I love the stupider parts of wcw

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dsriggs posted:

That & Inoki encouraged his guys to do stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN-MZUUU1tU

Yuji, nooooooo That's not how you beat Fedor. His weakness is wrestling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Are there any key matches that people should watch before WK9? Not that NJPW is as storyline driven, but it might help for newer people to have time to watch some of the matches leading up to the biggest event of the year.

Edit: Whoops got my numbers mixed up. I mean the upcoming Tokyo Dome show in January

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 5, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Are there any key matches that people should watch before WK8? Not that NJPW is as storyline driven, but it might help for newer people to have time to watch some of the matches leading up to the biggest event of the year.

If they have a lot of time to kill, every Okada/Tanahashi match since New Beginning 2012 has been building to this.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

LvK posted:

As a disgusting shoot-style fanboy, I love Inoki-ism in the same way I love the stupider parts of wcw

my understanding is a major reason the NJPW fanbase latched onto Tanahashi is because he represented the opposite of the Inoki ideology: pretty boy, very pro-style performer, not a 'real' athlete, etc. i haven't seen much stuff from that era but the 2004 Fujita/Tanahashi match is really really great. i think Tanahashi is at his best when he's working as an underdog, he lacks range as an offensive wrestler imo. i could do without the shoot soccer kicks to the head, but at least it's not Ishikawa/Ikeda...

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark

triplexpac posted:

Are there any key matches that people should watch before WK9? Not that NJPW is as storyline driven, but it might help for newer people to have time to watch some of the matches leading up to the biggest event of the year.

Edit: Whoops got my numbers mixed up. I mean the upcoming Tokyo Dome show in January

I think the main event could call back all six Okada/Tanahashi matches, so definitely those. Ibushi vs Nakamura at 23rd G1 as well. Not too sure other than that. I guess some Goto/Shibata tags and singles to get some history there

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Does anyone know how to change your payment information? I had to replace my card and it's proving difficult to change it to my new one.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it working.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 5, 2014

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Someone posted a decent list on the Observer site:

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/102-japan/40187-recommended-2014-matches-on-njpw-world-to-get-you-set-for-the-tokyo-dome

If they're just looking for angles building to the 1/4 show, it's a good start. Plus it will be a bunch of bad rear end wrestling.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
hooly gently caress this was great http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00067_2_1 (Maeda/Fujinami 06/12/86)

finish kinda sucked but that's the 80s for you, not to mention it was an interpromotional match so yeah

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 6, 2014

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Anyone else having trouble loading videos on Safari? Signed up this morning - Chrome works fine, but no love on Safari.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If you're getting some error about a key, you need to enable third party cookies. My Safari had it disabled by default, changing that setting fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
oh hey here's the infamous sumo hall riot incident http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00081_1_1

haha holy poo poo those "yamero!" chants are loud

edit: lmao all the trash getting thrown in the ring, this owns

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 6, 2014

• Locked thread