Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
This thread is for fallout talk, because I don't want to find and bump one of the seven other threads we have about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think the best music mod is the one that adds a song for every single mission name that's named after a song.

Dec 26, 2012

that mod sounds rad, what is it called

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
it's "secret stash", I don't think it's on the nexus. it's in the OP of the modding thread

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i liked fallout 1 and 2 more than 3 and NV......... but i liked every one of those old CRPGs, so i'm a broke brain idiot. that said my fav build was always to use nothing but grenades because it was so bizarrely strong and yet weak. not to mention they were basically impossible to aim without VATS. VATS is cool but i wish bethesda would have made interesting gunplay rather than an extremely cool autoaim function.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really use VATS and I play a lot of new vegas. It's more fun without it

Dec 26, 2012

fronz posted:

I don't really use VATS and I play a lot of new vegas. It's more fun without it

i mostly use it when theres some piece of poo poo scorpion or something i dont want to care about enough to waste ammo on it

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
HEll yes..! Love me some fallout..

also, to get it out of the wway, YES theres a SA reference or 2 in NV.. one of the designers is a goon..

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Larry Parrish posted:

i liked fallout 1 and 2 more than 3 and NV......... but i liked every one of those old CRPGs, so i'm a broke brain idiot. that said my fav build was always to use nothing but grenades because it was so bizarrely strong and yet weak. not to mention they were basically impossible to aim without VATS. VATS is cool but i wish bethesda would have made interesting gunplay rather than an extremely cool autoaim function.

theres a gimmicky build for FO1-2 that lets you throw flares and incinerate people left and right

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

red plastic cup posted:

also, to get it out of the wway, YES theres a SA reference or 2 in NV.. one of the designers is a goon..

johnny 5 aces is like right at the beginning of the game dead on the edge of a cliff with 4 red balls all lined up

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Man Whore posted:

Johnny Guitar loving sucks tho.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

01011001 posted:

i mostly use it when theres some piece of poo poo scorpion or something i dont want to care about enough to waste ammo on it

this is precisely why i dont play old world blues anymore. every enemy is that

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

fronz posted:

i didnt even have melee built up at all and the proton axe or whatever it is kicks their asses no problem

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
ya that dlc gives you a frickin TON of anti-robot weaponry that you can use for a super effective attack

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Minarchist posted:

i didnt even have melee built up at all and the proton axe or whatever it is kicks their asses no problem

it's not fun to

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If you get in to OWB at about level 10-12 it's not hard at all, the enemies are totally reasonable, even the cazadores.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Fallout 4 where are you?

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
please please no more sequels in the gamebryo engine

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I never understood the purpose of VATS in New Vegas. Since they nerfed the near-invulnerability it gave you in Fallout 3, you were always better off just lining up shots in first person.

Dec 26, 2012

fronz posted:

yeah.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dap this post if you can't wait for Bethesda to get back too the roots of the Fallout 3 franchise, with the upcoming Fallout 3: Part 2: Fallout 4.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Dap this post if you can't wait for Bethesda to get back too the roots of the Fallout 3 franchise, with the upcoming Fallout 3: Part 2: Fallout 4.

I'll dap that.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Pookum posted:

please please no more sequels in the gamebryo engine

put it on the xray engine :henget:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

SunAndSpring posted:

I never understood the purpose of VATS in New Vegas. Since they nerfed the near-invulnerability it gave you in Fallout 3, you were always better off just lining up shots in first person.

it's for console players

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

SunAndSpring posted:

use knock knocks special and juggle deathclaws like its tekken

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like getting off tenpenny tower in 3 by jumping off alistair's balcony and VATS punching a guard when you're about to hit the ground

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've dumped a lot of hours into new vegas. I like it so much that I have all the DLC but haven't touched any of it yet. I just kind of like knowing there are all these great adventures for me when i want them.

which is insane because i've spent a lot of time playing games i don't enjoy as much, and don't find as engrossing. why don't I just play the dlc I know I'll enjoy??

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

mr sad posted:

I've dumped a lot of hours into new vegas. I like it so much that I have all the DLC but haven't touched any of it yet. I just kind of like knowing there are all these great adventures for me when i want them.

which is insane because i've spent a lot of time playing games i don't enjoy as much, and don't find as engrossing. why don't I just play the dlc I know I'll enjoy??

I know opinion is mixed on NV's various DLC but I loved them. Played in the right order they constitute a fantastic complementary narrative to the main storyline, with each of the four parts examining one of the basic elements of the Fallout identity: post apocalyptic horror, tribals, madcap super science, etc. So good. You should definitely play through them.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dead money is the best one.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Dead money is the best one.

It's grown on me. Probably the best plotting, and it has ~~Dean-sama~~ <3, but gently caress those holograms and cameras were annoying. Lonesome Road and Wild Hearts are probably my favorites.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
old world blues was a terrible slog

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
id never played a fallout game until 3 came out. the
i couldnt believe it was made by the guys who made morrowind and oblivion (two games i really tried to play but found awful and dull).

then new vegas comes out and goddamn all the great things about 3 are present with more!

the pair of them are still two of my most favourite games to play and when Fallout4 comes out i hope it doesnt use any engine lower than the skyrim one. (which also surprised me with how much i enjoy it)

one thing fallout3 does better than new vegas is the radio. i much prefer the tunes in 3 to the vegassy/show tunes stuff in new vegas. but i can appreciate they are localised radio and that is what would be playing

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

VideoGames posted:

id never played a fallout game until 3 came out. the
i couldnt believe it was made by the guys who made morrowind and oblivion (two games i really tried to play but found awful and dull).

then new vegas comes out and goddamn all the great things about 3 are present with more!

the pair of them are still two of my most favourite games to play and when Fallout4 comes out i hope it doesnt use any engine lower than the skyrim one. (which also surprised me with how much i enjoy it)

one thing fallout3 does better than new vegas is the radio. i much prefer the tunes in 3 to the vegassy/show tunes stuff in new vegas. but i can appreciate they are localised radio and that is what would be playing

Have you played Fallout 1 or 2 since playing the newer ones?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The greatest loss from 2D to 3D was the ability to shoot/hit people in the crotch.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Just recently got NV and I made a huge mistake by starting Dead Money at level 40. VATS was crucial for me to make all those headshots on the ghosts with the starting pistol.

Also NV crashes every time I leave Old World Blues so I stopped playing NV at all, but it was fun.

I breezed through the Happy Trails canyon thing too fast (since nothing seems to scale with level and I was ~45 when I started it), is there a way to pacify everyone? I thought the backstory was sad (RIP cool old ranger guy), but I got there way too late to change my style.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

Mr Tastee posted:

The greatest loss from 2D to 3D was the ability to shoot/hit people in the crotch.

Agreed. Also miss aiming for the eyes. It was the only way I got by the mother deathclaw the first time I played 1.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Real Foogla posted:

Just recently got NV and I made a huge mistake by starting Dead Money at level 40. VATS was crucial for me to make all those headshots on the ghosts with the starting pistol.

Also NV crashes every time I leave Old World Blues so I stopped playing NV at all, but it was fun.

I breezed through the Happy Trails canyon thing too fast (since nothing seems to scale with level and I was ~45 when I started it), is there a way to pacify everyone? I thought the backstory was sad (RIP cool old ranger guy), but I got there way too late to change my style.

Install jesawyer mod.

Dec 26, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Install jesawyer mod.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

red plastic cup posted:

It would have to be nv because 2 came out in 98

Mr Tastee posted:

BERGfu fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Myrmomancer posted:

Have you played Fallout 1 or 2 since playing the newer ones?

i have yes.

both games are really something quite special and 2 does the same as new vegas by building on and improving the things its predecessor does.

the fact that i can make a guy with 1 intel and they communicate in grunts and confusion is a definite plus point

• Locked thread