Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I think some of it is because it seems safer and easier to take a new character and build a heel out of them. Unless you can give them the Goldberg/'80s Hogan push a fresh heel is going to quickly build credibility with jobber/midcard squashes, cheap shots on the established upper card faces and interviews where they/their manager runs the cheap heat flowchart. As long as they win and look strong doing it you can take a new/rebooted character from debut to at/near main event heel status in under a year (Umaga, Rusev, Khali, Taker, Angle, list goes on.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If turning a big heel into a face was the secret to making a star, they'd have to start calling him The Bigger Than Jesus Show

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Why aren't these young guys impressing me and going out of their way to grab the brass ring in my tightly scripted, creatively stifling environment where experimentation and dissent are swiftly punished?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Davros1 posted:

See how lazy Punk and Bryan were/are? They weren't even trying to grab the brass ring!

When you look at CM Punk all I can think "yeah there goes a guy who really didn't want to be the face of the company and just wanted to make cheques on Superstars." Vince is right.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I got a good laugh at both Punk and Vince complaining about millennials.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I felt the most interesting thing in that interview was Vince revealing that he feels he's the Stone Cold character for real.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Fat Lowtax posted:

The thing about this RAW was that it wasn't even memorably bad. Nothing ridiculous happened. It just reminded me of a late-stage Impact in that every single thing was completely inconsequential.

the worst wrestling can be is bland, so in this way, it was the worst i've seen in a while.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Animal-Mother posted:

I felt the most interesting thing in that interview was Vince revealing that he feels he's the Stone Cold character for real.

Yeah? That's been known for a while. Vince is this unique individual who is somehow a rich millionaire but he also loving hates the rich. He thinks they're all stuck up assholes who need to get a good mudhole stomped in them. Hell the initial basis for the HHH character was "My loving neighbours all think I'm uncultured because I'm in the wrestling business" and yes, do not let revisionist history fool you, when Ted Turner called up to tell vince he was in the 'Rasslin' Business Vince's response was not that he was in Entertainment, it was that he was in the WRESTLING Business.

You're looking at a guy who actually, really, well and truly loves Wrestling, and I know that's loving weird to hear, but he's got a giant chip on his shoulder where Raw draws what it draws, and advertisers low ball him. That people turn their nose up and go "Oh, Wrestling?" And it fuels the fury of 1000 suns as he (Egged on by his bucktoothed stooge) tries to make it "Accepted"

However the ball missed, is the ball so many people have missed. In an attempt to make wrestling more 'accepted' the fans of wrestling have been driven away, and the people who didn't like it don't care.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Yeah? That's been known for a while. Vince is this unique individual who is somehow a rich millionaire but he also loving hates the rich. He thinks they're all stuck up assholes who need to get a good mudhole stomped in them. Hell the initial basis for the HHH character was "My loving neighbours all think I'm uncultured because I'm in the wrestling business" and yes, do not let revisionist history fool you, when Ted Turner called up to tell vince he was in the 'Rasslin' Business Vince's response was not that he was in Entertainment, it was that he was in the WRESTLING Business.

Vince hates the rich because he's never managed to fit in with or be accepted by them for numerous reasons, not the least of which is that he comes off as the most awkward person possible when taken out of his work setting. He's a very odd dude with pretty obvious insecurity issues and he's tried harder than any other multi-millionaire entrepreneur I can think of to branch off/escape from the only business he's ever been largely successful at.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

Vince hates the rich because he's never managed to fit in with or be accepted by them for numerous reasons, not the least of which is that he comes off as the most awkward person possible when taken out of his work setting. He's a very odd dude with pretty obvious insecurity issues and he's tried harder than any other multi-millionaire entrepreneur I can think of to branch off/escape from the only business he's ever been largely successful at.

no wonder him and Donald Trump are such good friends

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dexters Secret posted:

no wonder him and Donald Trump are such good friends

if these two were left in a closet together overnight one of them would devour the other one whole like a snake. I can't imagine any other outcome

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

MacDougall posted:

That being said, like I said to me at least I've always felt like a guy who is over as a heel and has the crowd organically shift or the booking very subtly start altering his character to move the crowd behind him is at least an easier way to create a top face. Than running someone as a main event face from the word go. It might be a sign of the times that a guy who has no dark edge can't really connect with the people so much? Once you see a character's dark side you can connect better with them when they are doing the babyface routine.

The great thing with Rollins is that he has found a character "Whiny entitled douche," and people seem to HATE it.

Rollins is really drat good in the ring and he knows enough high spots to get baby face heat back.

It's so weird, but Rollins and Ambrose never really register as being that tall to me. I don't know why.

-

With how hard they're apparently planning on pushing Reigns, I wonder if he could wind up getting 'Die Rocky Die' kind of heat.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 2, 2014

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think Vince has spent the last couple decades desperately trying to get the mainstream entertainment industry to take him seriously. It's kind of pathetic and alienates his core audience.

I also fastforwarded a chunk of Raw and wondering if anything came of the anonymous Raw GM. I figured they'd be too embarrassed to bring it back but when they did I figured they'd have to go somewhere with it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Writer Cath posted:

With how hard they're apparently planning on pushing Reigns, I wonder if he could wind up getting 'Die Rocky Die' kind of heat.

That sort of forced booking tends to Anoa'i people

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Writer Cath posted:

It's so weird, but Rollins and Ambrose never really register as being that tall to me. I don't know why.

I have the same problem. When Jericho referred to Seth as a big guy in their interview, it threw me. He's just a lil flippy dude (who happens to be 6'1" and jacked)!

I think that Dean doesn't seem so tall because he hunches his shoulders and doesn't wrestle tall. He's way too scrappy to be the biggest Shield member.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I got home at 11 last night and started Raw from the beginning. I think I watched the opening segment, the Wyatt stuff, the Heyman thing and the main event and fast forwarded everything else. It was a good way to watch raw.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

quote:

- Austin asks McMahon when he's going to retire. McMahon says he's enjoying it now more than ever, he's healthy, he's working as many hours as ever before. He says physically he isn't losing a step, and doesn't think he is mentally. He said some people think he's out of touch, but those people are just critics.

lol it's never going to end

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I have the same problem. When Jericho referred to Seth as a big guy in their interview, it threw me. He's just a lil flippy dude (who happens to be 6'1" and jacked)!

I think that Dean doesn't seem so tall because he hunches his shoulders and doesn't wrestle tall. He's way too scrappy to be the biggest Shield member.

Holy poo poo Ambrose IS taller than Reigns!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

lol it's never going to end

"I'm not out of touch at all. To prove it, here's LARRY THE CABLE GUY!!!!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I never understood that 'People who say x are just critics' line of thought as if it's supposed to dismiss it. While it's true that a critics job is to criticize something, it doesn't mean it's their job to FALSELY criticize something.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

sportsgenius86 posted:

I got home at 11 last night and started Raw from the beginning. I think I watched the opening segment, the Wyatt stuff, the Heyman thing and the main event and fast forwarded everything else. It was a good way to watch raw.

If you fastforwarded the Erick Rowan backstage interview you missed the best part of the show.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Niwrad posted:

I think Vince has spent the last couple decades desperately trying to get the mainstream entertainment industry to take him seriously. It's kind of pathetic and alienates his core audience.

I also fastforwarded a chunk of Raw and wondering if anything came of the anonymous Raw GM. I figured they'd be too embarrassed to bring it back but when they did I figured they'd have to go somewhere with it.

I'm pretty sure there was one announcement at the start of the show setting up Cena/Rollins for MITB and then it was never heard from again.

Also no mention of who would be running the show next week, assuming they are doing a "different GM every week" storyline until they decide what they're actually doing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Blasmeister posted:

If you fastforwarded the Erick Rowan backstage interview you missed the best part of the show.

I watched that because I read the discussion thread to see what was worth viewing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

I watched nine Prince Devitt matches and the Vince interview. It was a good way to watch raw.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Between that Vince interview & last night's Raw I am really down on WWE right now haha.

To be fair I had to give up on Raw after they pinned The New Day. Between the 6 hour opening segment and then immediately beating the group they've been hyping for weeks, I could tell this show wouldn't have anything for me.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That sort of forced booking tends to Anoa'i people

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh MAN, you guys. I know people hate wrestling dreams posts, but I had this really hosed up nightmare where the end of Raw was actually the opening of Raw and—

triplexpac posted:

To be fair I had to give up on Raw after they pinned The New Day. Between the 6 hour opening segment and then immediately beating the group they've been hyping for weeks, I could tell this show wouldn't have anything for me.

Is... is this still the dream :stonk:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

triplexpac posted:

immediately beating the group they've been hyping for weeks

And then they jobbed out Catsaro! :smith:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chinston Wurchill posted:

And then they jobbed out Catsaro! :smith:

yeah after that Vince interview I wouldn't be expecting them to dominate the tag scene

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
As someone who casually watches Raw after not watching any wrestling since 2009 or so, I mostly find it frustrating that even though there are interesting/talented people (many of them guys I enjoyed watching in the indies back then) every Raw is just a cookie cutter predictable event with the same opening talking segment, and the same guys wrestling each other again and again, going back since I started watching again this past spring.

It's the exact opposite of the idea of 'anything can happen in the WWE'

However, I'm hyped at the possibility that I'll get to see Cesaro vs Swagger, or Usos vs Dusts or Cena vs anyone again soon!!!!

edit: also this means no one gets over because matches don't mean anything

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 2, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

hi i fell asleep early last night, how bullshit was the vince podcast

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

hi i fell asleep early last night, how bullshit was the vince podcast

Quite bullshit, but Austin did ask the hard questions to his credit. Listen to the Observer rundown of it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

doin' that now, thanks

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Quite bullshit, but Austin did ask the hard questions to his credit. Listen to the Observer rundown of it.

Yeah Dave running down the Vince interview was quite interesting.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Honestly I'm pretty okay with Cesaro and Ziggler being in the midcard forever as long as they get time to have cool matches

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I really had hoped Austin would talk about the diversity issue with the champion, especially on the night where New Day gets jobbed out on their RAW debut.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Shima Honnou posted:

Actually Erick Rowan is a very interesting supergenius.
I think this was the most hilarious part of RAW to me. It's like if they had just decided to keep Kane dressed as Issac Yankem but declare he was also the Undertaker's brother who was now the new Diesel. It's Eric Rowan everybody! The genius vinter convict hillbilly who wears a sheep mask for no readily apparent reason! I understand that their roster is so thin right now that they can't afford to give anybody who isn't a black guy time off to re-gimmick them but I can't help laughing at the whole thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vintimus Prime posted:

I really had hoped Austin would talk about the diversity issue with the champion, especially on the night where New Day gets jobbed out on their RAW debut.
hes from austin texas

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Vintimus Prime posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
It seriously blows my mind that they just jobbed the New Day guys out like that in what was essentially their debut. Smackdown never counts, lets be real here.

How can it not make every single viewer feel like they wasted their time? Weeks of vignettes hyping up these guys and they lose in the middle of a gauntlet match.

Maybe they're going to turn them heel immediately, angry black man stable sick of the man making them dance.

• Locked thread