Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best team so far?
This poll is closed.
Warriors 117 48.35%
Raptors 39 16.12%
Bulls 15 6.20%
TrailBlazers 25 10.33%
Grizzlies 46 19.01%
Total: 242 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I've long awaited the return of the American Giannis Antetokounmpo, AKA the American Greek KD, I only hope he can live up to our expectations

it preserved the ellipsis in the copy paste dangit this won't stand i greatly enjoy that moving picture http://fat.gfycat.com/UnconsciousVengefulIchneumonfly.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

Their two most important players got to sit out a quarter of the season and may be fresher for the last chunk. They may out-perform even last year. If Durant and Westbrook are both able to stay healthy and didn't come back too soon I'd really like their odds of getting into the playoffs.

Yeah had they come back in a month this would be over but right now it may in the end be advantageous. Although they also won't have the luxury of rest near the end of the season so the Spurs and Clippers still may be fresher than them in the end (although it doesn't look like rest stopped Chris Paul from being out of gas in the playoffs last year).

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I was really hoping OKC would miss the playoffs. They've managed to get some wins I didn't think they would.

Also disappointed with OP for trolling with that poll.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
If OKC is slotted in as the 8th seed as the season winds down, would it be worth it for the top teams to purposefully tank for the 2nd spot?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Mornacale posted:

If OKC is slotted in as the 8th seed as the season winds down, would it be worth it for the top teams to purposefully tank for the 2nd spot?

Yes.

Holy poo poo GSW is gonna be the 1 seed and lose to OKC in the first round.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Mornacale posted:

I wouldn't. You're going to have to go through them or a team good enough to beat them to end up in the finals anyway, might as well make sure you have home court advantage throughout.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If you were in the East and OKC was also in the East then sure, but it's not like the separation between 7 seed in the West and OKC is the biggest in the world. Hell the current 7 seed is the Clippers

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

EvanTH posted:

I've long awaited the return of the American Giannis Antetokounmpo, AKA the American Greek KD, I only hope he can live up to our expectations

it preserved the ellipsis in the copy paste dangit this won't stand i greatly enjoy that moving picture http://fat.gfycat.com/UnconsciousVengefulIchneumonfly.mp4

What is the all-nba starting 5 scary coaches of all time? Quinn Synder and.....

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Mornacale posted:

There is no way a coach or team would intentionally give up guaranteed homecourt advantage throughout the conference playoffs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Winning the loving West and then running into quite possibly the best team in the conference at full strength in the first drat round would really suck though.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
There's going to be no easy series in the first round in the West. It's going to be murderer's row all the way down from 1 to 8.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Papercut posted:

There is no way a coach or team would intentionally give up guaranteed homecourt advantage throughout the conference playoffs.

While intentionally is a bit strong, I would definitely not be pushing as hard as I would otherwise to run into a healthy OKC.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

There's going to be no easy series in the first round in the West. It's going to be murderer's row all the way down from 1 to 8.

I mean there will be a lot of good teams, but OKC if they play at the level they were at for most of last year is quite a bit better than a normal 5-8 seed in the west would be.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It'll be Grizz-OKC in the first round again.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Yesterday I said Teague wasn't playing that well when I meant to say Horford. To make up for that, here's bballbreakdown about Teague

http://bballbreakdown.com/2014/12/02/keeping-the-drive-alive-jeff-teagues-offensive-emergence/

quote:

Teague earns his keep as one of the game’s premier talents at a singular, immensely desirable element: getting to the hoop. By every conceivable measure, from numerical metrics to visual assessment, he is among the NBA’s top drivers and is only improving in his sixth season out of Wake Forest.

First, some numbers. SportVU data on NBA.com defines a “drive” as any play where a ball-handler begins at least 20 feet from the hoop and ends up within 10 feet, and Teague drives more times per game than any player in the league besides Ty Lawson, after ranking fourth last year behind Lawson, Tony Parker, and Tyreke Evans. It is far from volume for volumes sake, however, as Teague is a top five presence among per-minute scoring leaders on drives among qualified players (11.2 points-per-48 minutes on drives, fourth in the league – up from 8.3 last year, which placed him 11th).

Teague might have the quickest first step in the league, and is absolutely one of the fastest players on the planet with the ball in his hands. It has long been a common observation among soccer fans (or football for the purists) throughout Lionel Messi’s rise to superstardom that he seems to run faster with the ball than without, and Teague is in the same mold. He nearly broke Twitter last week with this dunk, but perhaps the most remarkable part of the play was just how quickly he went from standing still to being five feet past a bewildered Jeremy Lin:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I just read Zach Lowe's column about fixing the NBA playoffs, specifically about fixing the gulf between the East and West. Is it possible that the NBA change the playoff system midseason? My instinct is to say hell no, but they sure as hell tried to change the draft mid-stride.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Of course not and I really haven't seen a decent proposal yet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

joshtothemaxx posted:

I just read Zach Lowe's column about fixing the NBA playoffs, specifically about fixing the gulf between the East and West. Is it possible that the NBA change the playoff system midseason? My instinct is to say hell no, but they sure as hell tried to change the draft mid-stride.

No they wouldn't, but the NBA is pretty good about making changes when they need to, so you could see them decide around all-star break to make a change for next season.

Either way though, I don't expect something like this to be done in less than a year. If they do shake things up it'll probably be 2 or 3 years from now.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Dexo posted:

While intentionally is a bit strong, I would definitely not be pushing as hard as I would otherwise to run into a healthy OKC.

There aren't going to be any gimme matchups in the West. A team wouldn't trade home court in the Conference Finals in order to face the Clippers instead of OKC in the first round.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

joshtothemaxx posted:

I don't think it will ever happen, let along happen mid season.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

joshtothemaxx posted:

If the number of votes needed for this to happen is more than the number of votes held by Western Conference teams then it will never happen.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It's really just sad because there's no other explanation for it other than for the last 2 or so decades there have been many more chronically mismanaged franchises in the East than the West.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Expand league to 42 teams. Everyone plays a home-away series. Take top X teams to playoffs. Done.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

joshtothemaxx posted:

Expand league to 42 teams. Everyone plays a home-away series. Take top X teams to playoffs. Done.

The NBA could finally return to Omaha.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I liked his point that even if you just reseed it with the current schedule, it's still significantly more fair that what we have right now. I mean you can stand back and say "ehhhh, gotta fix the schedules before we mix the two conferences together" but any schedule disparity is in the east's favour. It's certainly not any more unfair than the seeding as it currently happens and almost definitely competitively better.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

HMS Beagle posted:

The NBA could finally return to Omaha.

The Waterloo Hawks of Iowa's long awaited return can also happen.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Voted Bulls even thought I know there are no objective criteria by which they are the best at anything.

Apologies if this is old news but I just saw it on Facebook, Kwe Parker holy cow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWfvGiMXmAw

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Okay, so Justin Bieber really did meet with the Clippers, but the first story from last summer about Blake slapping him around is still a made-up story.

Its kind of hard to keep track what stories about Bieber are true or not.

Also, the best made-up story would be where Bieber went to a LA Clippers event and Sterling offered his mistresses a chance to see a "beautiful Canadian body".

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The problem is that every team in the East other than Philly is trying hard to make the playoffs this season or the next. So none of the those owners would vote for a reseed/rebalance.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

glowing-fish posted:

Okay, so Justin Bieber really did meet with the Clippers, but the first story from last summer about Blake slapping him around is still a made-up story.

Its kind of hard to keep track what stories about Bieber are true or not.

Also, the best made-up story would be where Bieber went to a LA Clippers event and Sterling offered his mistresses a chance to see a "beautiful Canadian body".

The best Bieber story is when Orlando Bloom got into a minor fight with him and Leonardo Dicaprio cheered for Bloom on the side.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Top sixteen teams by win percentage regardless of conference get split up into four pools of four. (1-2-3-4 / 5-6-7-8 / 9-10-11-12 / 13-14-15-16) one seed from each of those sets is put into a Group A/B/C/D and then we have a basketball world cup format every year. Home and Away in group stage, Top 2 teams advance to the final eight. Top 1 team in each group gets home court. Hell yeah.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It'll be Grizz-OKC in the first round again.

please no, I don't know if I can handle that again

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Look out Smoothie King Center, you've got some competition

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Talking Stick Resort Arena

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Let's grab a bite to eat, then head over to The Stick for some professional basketball.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

It's really loud in The Stick tonight!!!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Golden State is really rocking the instagram game

http://instagram.com/p/wHhBIAzfRr/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Some locals are trying to give the Smoothie King Arena the nickname "The Blender". I actually kinda like that.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Kibner posted:

Some locals are trying to give the Smoothie King Arena the nickname "The Blender". I actually kinda like that.

Those names are fun. Minute Maid Park was called "The Juicebox" for a bit before everyone forgot the Astros existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Kibner posted:

That's pretty nice. I don't mind the stick either. Your official name can be dumb as hell as long as you get a sufficient nickname.

• Locked thread