Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best team so far?
This poll is closed.
Warriors 117 48.35%
Raptors 39 16.12%
Bulls 15 6.20%
TrailBlazers 25 10.33%
Grizzlies 46 19.01%
Total: 242 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

glowing-fish posted:

Actively trying to score points for the other team is a sign that tanking has gone too far, imho

What's worse, trying to score for the other team or trying to prevent a team from scoring for you? If you foul them on the shot do they get two or three free throws? (the refs noticed the fuckup because there was a foul on the first possession)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Boston really does play the right way, the players are just bad at playing

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kyrie Irving has his own "Signature shoe" with Nike now.

So there's that.

LeBron James ‏@KingJames 4m4 minutes ago
At my boy k1irving signature shoe launch in NYC! Congrats homie and welcome to the signature family!!… http://instagram.com/p/wKpOtXCTJs/

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Johnny Buckets :monocle:
https://vine.co/v/Ovg0aUt6lHz

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

I had an anti-tanking idea. I don't know if it makes any sense, but it is kind of amusing to think about.

What if, before the season started, the league secretly generated a list of maybe 50 games, and whoever won those games(if applicable) would get an extra pingpong ball in the lottery?

That way, it would make sense to want to do at least moderately well, because no one would know which game could be one of the special ones that would increase the chances in the lottery.

If the game was won by a team that wasn't going into the lottery, (which most of them wouldn't be), then it just wouldn't count. At the end of the year, it would probably only be a dozen extra ping-pong balls spread among the 14 teams that would be in the lottery. Not enough to make a big difference, but enough to add a bit of uncertainty, and make total tanking a sub-optimal strategy.

Looking at the math of this I'm not seeing incentive at all. Hypothetically, even if one lottery team was given all fifty bonus games and won all fifty that's only fifty more balls or a 5% difference. No fifty win team is ever going to be in the lottery.

If this number of balls was increased to something statistically significant (like a few hundred) it would just give the better record lottery teams a tiny better shot at the top 3 picks and not any kind of disincentive to the worst teams.

How about the bottom five teams are entered into a Hunger Games tournament. That'd do it.

EvanTH posted:

Many years ago some of my friends realized you could eat out of the garbage. They're gainfully employed they just don't give a poo poo, food's expensive and people throw away whole sandwiches. "If you're willing to eat out of the garbage you can find yourself something to eat in 10 minutes." America is a place of much abundance, especially the cities. Take a sandwich off the top of the trash.

With that in mind, homeless people are using your money to buy drugs, and Dennis would've spent your $70 on hard liquor.

Make the bottom five NBA teams eat out of the trash the following year. Building a stronger NBA one step at a time.

Sheriff posted:

I haven't watched any Pistons games this year so I can't speak for Jennings, but who would want Josh Smith? He's got 2 years left on his contract after this one at $13.5 million each and his TS% is .399.

Someone not familiar with TS%.

Cool Buff Man posted:

"Thus far in the NBA season, 140 players have started ten or more games.

Of those 140, 139 of them have posted at least one game where they’ve shot over 50% from the field."

Josh Smith stars as Mr. 140

He's on pace to have the worst shooting season since Guy Rodgers on the 1966 San Francisco Warriors.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

John Wallker

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Derrick Rose double digits in games played.

Actually I was just looking at his /36 stats and they are pretty good, maybe he can play more than 26 mpg soon.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

So Kobe is on pace to catch MJ in five games? That's loving crazy.

This season so far has just made him firmer on retirement after next season though so I don't think he's catching Kareem.

A mere four games and only 99 points away.

glowing-fish posted:

Here is some good basketball related news: Tim Duncan gave a quarter million dollars towards opening a cancer research center in San Antonio.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/tim-duncan-donates-247000-fund-ground-breaking-san-antonio-cancer-genome-research-project

Maybe he'll win the J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award.

Lockback posted:

Brandon Jennings is shooting 38% from 3 taking 6 per 36, which is really good. He's also getting to the line more. I would definitely want Jennings if he was available, but I don't know why Detroit would get rid of him.

Kyle Korver is somehow shooting nearly 60% from three this season.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ross posted:

Derrick Rose double digits in games played.

Actually I was just looking at his /36 stats and they are pretty good, maybe he can play more than 26 mpg soon.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/DidTheSixersWin/status/540344843814588416

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gently caress the Timberwolves

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

triple sulk posted:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

triple sulk posted:

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
As a team, the 76ers shot 39/21/64 in their first win tonight.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Zogo posted:

Kyle Korver is somehow shooting nearly 60% from three this season.

Korver is possibly the best 3 point shooter of all time so no surprise

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Nothing good happens to Brandon Knight

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

K.C. Johnson ‏@KCJHoop now8 seconds ago

Thibodeau praised Gasol for reminding team that playing through soreness and fatigue is part of NBA after double OT loss Tuesday.

Thibs already has Gasol indoctrinated. This whole team is going to be dead by march.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Monta Ellis is cool and good.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I love hearing the egocentric biases espoused from the greats from each generation. Isiah Thomas has been quoted as saying that todays NBA players are playing checkers while the 1980s NBA was playing chess. Wilt believed 1980s players were inferior to the 60s and 70s era: http://youtu.be/KJb2Gb7cmX0?t=3m45s

I have a hunch the 1940s and 1950s players were saying the same thing ("the shot clock takes the strategy out of the game!") So you can see, logically, the greatest basketball guys were actually shooting into peach baskets because they studied under the tutelage of the demigod known as Dr. James Naismith.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Though it should be known that I dont think they have much of a choice. This is a clear example that there is not enough talent in the league to make 30 teams acceptable, let alone competitive.

The league has a ton of talent it's just not (and never will be) possible to evenly distribute it on a season to season basis.

I'd think most would agree that the talent level in the league increases from year to year (despite former players insanely believing their era was the best).

BIZORT posted:

I never thought much of Reed from the little I'd seen of him and then read as well but god drat he was a really good player. He's giving up a good 5 inches to Kareem as well. Willis does a great job challenging every shot and recovering to keep Kareem off the boards as well

Wilt speaks complimentary concerning him in that video I posted above. One of my favorite stats recently is that Kareem has a career TS% on par with guys like Kyle Korver and Kevin Martin (elite FT and 3P shooters) but shot the ball enough to reach nearly 40K points.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Burn in hell Timberwolves

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Wow

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Intruder posted:

In actual basketball news, it's not looking good for Dwight tonight so expect another Grizzlies blowout. The Rockets are getting so desperate for big men (they currently have one player active who is taller than 6'8) they have recalled Clint Capela from the D league though and with the blowout imminent I expect plenty of garbage time minutes giving him an opportunity to get out on the floor :toot:

e: Or maybe he'll play over Dorsey, whose opponents have a 37.1 PER against him :stonk:

Pretty happy to be wrong on this one

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Top Hats Monthly posted:

That loss wasn't entirely surprising though. Seriously, they were playing a team trying to not break the season-start loss record and they had no Pekovic, no Rubio, no Martin, and Mo Williams was the point guard.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Crazy Ted posted:

That loss wasn't entirely surprising though. Seriously, they were playing a team trying to not break the season-start loss record and they had no Pekovic, no Rubio, no Martin, and Mo Williams was the point guard.

Still it's kinda :yikes:

My friends grandpa sold his tickets that he has had since 94 :laffo: this broke him

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 4, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

K.J. McDaniels is looking like the smartest motherfucker in the league insisting on that one-year deal so he can high-tail it out of Philly as soon as his season in purgatory is over.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Lowry just got a career high 39 points

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Elfrid Payton: a worse shooter than Rubio?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Strawberry Panda posted:

Elfrid Payton: a worse shooter than Rubio?
I still insist that Brandon Jennings is the worst shooter in the league because - unlike Rubio - Jennings insists on jacking up shots like he's an elite shooting guard and thus hurts his team more.

EDIT: I do see that he's shooting a career-high .413 from the floor to start the season however.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

The anger flowing on my twitter feed right now is just beautiful

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Crazy Ted posted:

EDIT: I do see that he's shooting a career-high .413 from the floor to start the season however.

Brandon Jennings is proof literally any ability to create a shot no matter how awful will keep you in the league.

loving below 40 fg% still nets him above MLE.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The anger flowing on my twitter feed right now is just beautiful
Maybe tomorrow will be the day Dan Barreiro finally strokes out of life on the air. A man can hope.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Crazy Ted posted:

K.J. McDaniels is looking like the smartest motherfucker in the league insisting on that one-year deal so he can high-tail it out of Philly as soon as his season in purgatory is over.

The Sixers still hold his rights as a RFA

Hes not going anywhere if the Sixers want him

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Warriors are #1 in the league right now. Right before their schedule gets harder.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Zogo posted:

I love hearing the egocentric biases espoused from the greats from each generation. Isiah Thomas has been quoted as saying that todays NBA players are playing checkers while the 1980s NBA was playing chess. Wilt believed 1980s players were inferior to the 60s and 70s era: http://youtu.be/KJb2Gb7cmX0?t=3m45s

They're loving idiots. Put Isiah's bad boys in place of today's pistons and they wouldn't look much better.

Josh Smith is the closest thing we'll get to a 1980's all star entering a time machine and trying to compete in the modern NBA.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well yeah the bad boys Pistons weren't built for the current NBA ruleset at all

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I wish I had more time to watch all the good teams like Golden State. I'm taking a week off between Christmas and New Years, and I'm gonna watch some Warriors basketball and little kids dancing at the games.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

dokmo doubted the awesomeness of Ben McLemore but I guess he's been pretty good so far this year
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2014/12/3/7330415/the-emergence-of-ben-mclemore

I haven't been paying attention to stats so I didn't know his shooting took a huge turn around. I've just noticed him being much more aggressive on the court and using his athleticism to make plays

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 4, 2014

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I don't even know what radio station I'm on, all I hear is two guys who sound like Beavis and Butthead laughing about Minnesota. Also a caller "Should've left the target center for the north stars"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

triple sulk posted:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

https://twitter.com/rickyrubio9/status/540366421709303808

Crazy Ted posted:

Maybe tomorrow will be the day Dan Barreiro finally strokes out of life on the air. A man can hope.

That's the spirit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I'm dying

I want Glen Taylor to sell the team and flee to Aruba while Flip Saunders says "Please leave the room if this will offend you"

• Locked thread