Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best team so far?
This poll is closed.
Warriors 117 48.35%
Raptors 39 16.12%
Bulls 15 6.20%
TrailBlazers 25 10.33%
Grizzlies 46 19.01%
Total: 242 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Mornacale posted:

If OKC is slotted in as the 8th seed as the season winds down, would it be worth it for the top teams to purposefully tank for the 2nd spot?

I wouldn't. You're going to have to go through them or a team good enough to beat them to end up in the finals anyway, might as well make sure you have home court advantage throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

Kibner posted:

Some locals are trying to give the Smoothie King Arena the nickname "The Blender". I actually kinda like that.

Those names are fun. Minute Maid Park was called "The Juicebox" for a bit before everyone forgot the Astros existed.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

MourningView posted:

everyone wants to live in warm and scenic philadelphia it's true

who could forget all the major free agents they've signed recently like

huh

hmmm

uhhhh

NICK YOUNG

The LA and NY teams can't sign every free agent. I think Philly is comfortably in the "not big enough to be a draw, not small enough to be a deterrent" class of cities with the likes of Washington, Houston, Phoenix, and other similar places. If Noel and Embiid look good when they eventually get to play together and can drag the rest of the lovely roster to .500 I think they'll be just fine, but that's a pretty big if.

houstonguy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 3, 2014

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

Rick posted:

E: Speaking of blowing things up, does the thread think Jennings and Smith finish the season as Pistons?

I haven't watched any Pistons games this year so I can't speak for Jennings, but who would want Josh Smith? He's got 2 years left on his contract after this one at $13.5 million each and his TS% is .399.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion
Joe Johnson's contract seems completely unmovable to me, but then again, it was already traded once. Still, I'm really blanking on any team that would want him. He has 2 years at $24 million each left on his contract. What playoff team has that much in free cap space or unwanted contracts? And isn't planning on making a run for a free agent this offseason or the next? Billy King should be praying that there is a GM as dumb as he is and also extremely desperate for a playoff berth.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

WhyteRyce posted:

Kobe rode Lin during practice; daring him to shoot. "I talked his a-- right into that bull----. I talked his a-- right into that bull----.”

More people need to talk poo poo about Jeremy Lin

They won't if Nick Young has anything to say about it.

@ArashMarkazi
Nick Young pulled Jeremy Lin and Jordan Clarkson to the side after practice and told them to stand up for themselves after Kobe got on them.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

BIZORT posted:

I think Rockets fans bitch about Donatas because he launches too many jumpers

He's shown flashes before, but up until a few weeks ago he definitely looked like the worst player on the team to get regular minutes. But after all the injuries happened he started performing extremely well, he and Harden have been carrying the team. I hope his new level of play is sustainable, I'm worried about Terrence Jones' nerve issue and even if he does come back healthy, D-Mo could slide to the 5 for some small ball lineups while Howard is resting the bones in his knees that are smashing together.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

EvanTH posted:

What prominent nickname did ONeal have other than Shaq?

Shaq is still incredibly bitter towards Dwight Howard for usurping his self-appointed "Superman" nickname.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

danucleus posted:

Del Negro (who's a good player development coach, btw)

Unfortunately, you get the "good player development coach" label by having your team immediately start playing better the second you get fired. Del Negro "developed" Noah and Rose to top out at .500, while Thibs was able to take them to the conference finals at the very next opportunity.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion
What are the Suns going to do with Dragic next year? He has a player option for $7.5 million, but his market value is way more than that so I'm fairly certain he enters free agency. If bbref is correct the Suns will be at $55 million once Dragic has forgone his player option. If he signs a deal anywhere close to what Bledsole got it'll cap the Suns out.

I like this Suns team but I'm not sure they can be legitimate contenders with the current level of talent.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion
The hot dog idea isn't half bad in theory, but in practice there is no way I'm wasting my bitcoins (which I expect by 2020 to be the only accepted currency at King's games) on 3 quarters of Ty Corbin coaching 4 on 5 basketball for a 50% discount on 8btc hot dogs.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

The Glumslinger posted:

Well thats a whole pile of nothing

Hey that pile of nothing is the Mav's entire bench, thank you very much

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

Intruder posted:

Seeing some Rockets fans saying "Well Dragic is better anyway" which I'm not really sure what the point of is since there's been no indication I've seen that he's on the trading block or that he's coming to Houston in particular

Well, Stein or somebody tweeted earlier that Dragic had surpassed Rondo on the Rocket's wish list, but yeah, seeing as how he used the term "wish list" I wouldn't celebrate just quite yet. But considering his player option next season and the fact that they have Bledsole and Thomas, I wouldn't be shocked if Phoenix is quietly listening to offers and prepared to pull the trigger if they can get a good haul. Not that I think Houston would be the ones to offer it.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion
I'm happy that Mavs fan get to feel the joy of getting such a talented player, and I'm sure they are going to play some awesome basketball, but boy am I bummed that Mark Cuban gets to feel good about himself today!

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

Doltos posted:

I'll forever be mystified by goons' intense hatred of a pretty fun owner

He stole my dream of being a comic book superhero

EDIT: vvvvvvv Good point! vvvvvvv

houstonguy fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 19, 2014

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The West is so loving good, man.

For sure...Even as a Rockets fan, I'm not mad. If we can't make it through these new Mavs we wouldn't make it through the Warriors, or Spurs, or Grizzlies, or Blazers, or Clippers, or Thunder. These playoffs are going to be some of the best we've seen in a while.

WYA posted:

I would put Pelicans higher

I would put the Nets lower. No picks, huge contracts, no cap space. I just can't see how they become anywhere close to good within the next 5 year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

the_american_dream posted:

Houston was in on Rondo too. Rumored to be anyway

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--celtics-deal-rajon-rondo-to-mavs-231537852.html

"As time progressed with the Houston-Boston talks, there was a sense within the Celtics that Houston was simply trying to drive the price up on a deal for the Mavericks, sources said."

Rondo would be a step up from Beverly, but not enough of one to give up 3 rotation guys and 2 picks, especially given the current injury situation on the Rockets. I think Houston would have been willing to give up more in a few months if Terrence Jones got healthy, but I think Boston wanted to pull the trigger now to flip the assets they got before the deadline

• Locked thread