Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
Personally really looking forward to our first Torii Hunter Dale Scott gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
At the end of the offseason, pour out a line of shots, one for every veteran player Ruben Amaro fails to trade.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Groucho Marxist posted:

Fail implies that they were seriously trying

Care to source the claim that a front office is operating in bad faith, or is this just repeating a stupid meme with no basis?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
When you keep "just missing" on signings, and when a player signs with another team for $68 mil when you were reportedly offering $90-100 mil.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

When you keep "just missing" on signings, and when a player signs with another team for $68 mil when you were reportedly offering $90-100 mil.

And the rep keeps calling you trying to push season seats citing those very efforts as if I owe him or the franchise something.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

thompson posted:

And the rep keeps calling you trying to push season seats citing those very efforts as if I owe him or the franchise something.
I get multiple calls from Padres reps each season now, simply because I buy tickets for ~6-8 people once each time the Dodgers are in town. They are pretty aggressive about calling people.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Did a rep really call you and say we almost signed this Cuban ballplayer named Yasmany Tomas, please buy some tickets? That's amazing if you got that phone call.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
what else do they have really? "hey remember 1998? man that was some team, with Gwynn, Caminiti, and Kevin Brown...so how many tickets should I put you down for?"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

"Come down to the park early and spend some nice family time in the new Bud Selig Padres Hall of Fame Plaza!"

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

our foul pole looks like a drat golf club that's cool. wait do we still do that??

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

We'll be memorializing Tony Gwynn all year. Tony Gwynn dying is a good excuse for having a lovely team, right?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it's a very pretty park okay

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Did a rep really call you and say we almost signed this Cuban ballplayer named Yasmany Tomas, please buy some tickets? That's amazing if you got that phone call.

My girlfriend had a rep call too and she said that they were really pushing a Pablo Sandoval signing as well as some "international power hitters." loving retarded. She picks up her phone and I never do so there ya go. I'm sure I would have been fed the same crap at which point I would have told him that it's cheaper to buy from stubhub than from the ticket office. Such bullshit.

thompson fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 2, 2014

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
The idea that the Friars are desperate enough to get butts in the seats that they're timing sales calls with MLBTR news cycles is comedy gold.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

thompson posted:

My girlfriend had a rep call too and she said that they were really pushing a Pablo Sandoval signing as well as some "international power hitters." loving retarded. She picks up her phone and I never do so there ya go. I'm sure I would have been fed the same crap at which point I would have told him that it's cheaper to buy from stubhub than from the ticket office. Such bullshit.

Hahaha I didn't think teams went that far with it

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

bawfuls posted:

I get multiple calls from Padres reps each season now, simply because I buy tickets for ~6-8 people once each time the Dodgers are in town. They are pretty aggressive about calling people.

When the Yankees were in Atlanta a few years ago, I signed up for ticket info for those games specifically. They called me repeatedly trying to sell me a plan and apparently "No, you see, I live in New York this would be a fun trip I am not interested in a Tuesday game versus the Marlins in April" isn't a thing that registers to them. I wound up not going because they insisted on only selling the tickets through these dumb mini plans until very close to the games.

Anyway, after that they then called me multiple times over the next two years to try and sell me season tickets.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
My boss has Yankees season tickets so they just sent a hot chick to our office to try and talk him into getting a suite.

It's the New York Islanders that we're constantly getting phone calls from. Probably because we have tickets to every NY team except them.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 2, 2014

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Monday_ posted:

My boss has Yankees season tickets so they just sent a hot chick to our office to try and talk him into getting a suite.

It's the New York Islanders that we're constantly getting phone calls from. Probably because we have tickets to every NY team except them.
Reminds me of this great ad campaign:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Abner Assington posted:

Reminds me of this great ad campaign:

The first time I saw that billboard I actually stopped and laughed out loud.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

leokitty posted:

When the Yankees were in Atlanta a few years ago, I signed up for ticket info for those games specifically. They called me repeatedly trying to sell me a plan and apparently "No, you see, I live in New York this would be a fun trip I am not interested in a Tuesday game versus the Marlins in April" isn't a thing that registers to them. I wound up not going because they insisted on only selling the tickets through these dumb mini plans until very close to the games.

Anyway, after that they then called me multiple times over the next two years to try and sell me season tickets.

I worked for the Clippers in a sales capacity at the very beginning of my career some 6 years ago. You have to feel for some of these kids as they're making somewhere from $8-14 an hour tops ($8 is what the Clippers paid, $14 is what the Padres pay) along with 2% commission, all on the dream that they can make it into the front office. They have to make 75 calls a day (they yell at you if you don't) and when you quantify the lead base and take away that most teams have 8-12 people it's no wonder people get called so much.

But yeah, tough gig for a bad team. I made a season seat sale my first day and they treated me like I was the second coming. 3 days later I left and quit over the phone.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Daniel Descalso nontendered :toot:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Groucho Marxist posted:

Daniel Descalso nontendered :toot:

Cardinals signed Matt Belisle, too. Am I missing something or is he basically just an older version of Seth Maness?

Which I'm fine with.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Braves non-tendered the corpse of Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Belisle is probably a depth signing to get Carlos Martinez out of the bullpen but Cardinals Magic will make him 2015's version of Pat Neshek

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know they won't be ready for opening day but if you asked me what fulll-on tanking might look like from the Braves, this is it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Medlen might not be completely cooked. I think it would be worth taking a flier on for any team. If he doesn't work out it's a neglegible cost.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mets non-tender Eric Young Jr. If your team needs a one dimensional base stealer you're in luck!

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Braves apparently making a push for Markakis. Somebody should explain to Frank Wren what "rebuilding" means.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vernacular posted:

Braves apparently making a push for Markakis. Somebody should explain to Frank Wren what "rebuilding" means.
Frank Wren got fired.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Harlock posted:

Medlen might not be completely cooked. I think it would be worth taking a flier on for any team. If he doesn't work out it's a neglegible cost.
Rumor is the Braves might actually try for something short and built around incentives.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Frank Wren got fired.

Ah that's right. It just felt so right to pin the act of trading Heyward but also signing Markakis under the umbrella of rebuilding on Wren.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

FairGame posted:

Cardinals signed Matt Belisle, too. Am I missing something or is he basically just an older version of Seth Maness?

Which I'm fine with.

Belisle was a pretty solid 7th/8th inning guy. Until Jim Tracy having him pitch 85+ innings in like three consecutive years finally caught up with him the past couple of years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Reds traded Chris Heisey to the Dodgers for Matt Magill

Twins signed Torii Hunter to a 1 year deal for $10.5 mil

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

the Rockies are trying to move Rosario. Who wants a terrible defensive catcher/DH???

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Twins signed Torii Hunter to a 1 year deal for $10.5 mil

Thank goodness they're taking that bullet. Appreciate you, Twins :unsmith:

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Ok why did we trade Matt Magill for Chris Heisey, ANOTHER outfielder? Help me wise ones. Guess they expect to be trading away several other outfielders over the next couple months.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tetrix posted:

Ok why did we trade Matt Magill for Chris Heisey, ANOTHER outfielder? Help me wise ones. Guess they expect to be trading away several other outfielders over the next couple months.

:stare: Chris heisey walks less than Matt Adams yet strikes out like a quarter of the time

FairGame fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 3, 2014

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Thank goodness they're taking that bullet. Appreciate you, Twins :unsmith:

Thank god. I was already beginning to accept that we'd have to have him, but now I don't. I wanted literally anybody else.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

How is Torii worth even $5MM per year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

Tetrix posted:

An outfielder is certainly gone and the only guy on the roster really capable of playing CF is Puig since you aren't gonna put Pederson on the bench. Heisey is a strange target for backup center fielder but he's better than the current options.

Ed>> Also Heisey still has options left and with how many position players the Dodgers have this makes a big difference.

regfairfield fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 3, 2014

• Locked thread