Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Can I just say as a Scot, that I really appreciate the use of 'Radjie' in the prologue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm pretty sure that's for selecting which barrel to fire from first.

OK, here's a query for the gun-nuts out there - why are there breach-loaded hunting shotguns with an over-under barrel arrangement? I mean, if you're going out hunting, surely the risk of missing is due to lack of horizontal shot spread, not vertical shot spread.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

That may well be the widest train I have ever seen in my life.

Actually, all the vehicles in this game seem gigantic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

Everett True was posted for a while in the newspaper comics megathread. He was a fat dude who admonished or assaulted people for doing stupid poo poo, most of which is still understandable today. For a period example, he beat a man for wearing a wristwatch, as that was women's apparel at the time. When the Great War broke out, Everett was very anti-German. I think one comic might have involved frankfurters as being unAmerican. Anyway, it was a generally amusing comic until the war broke out and then it turned into a propaganda strip.

I remember that strip! In face, I also recall the interesting tidbit about the wrist-watch and why it became more... acceptable for men to have them - viz you were much less likely to get your head blown off during WWI if all you had to do was look at your wrist as opposed to take a watch out yer pocket.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

Now I think the nazis were jerks for ruining... a cool mustache.

Chaplin pulled it off; but it was NEVER cool.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Holy gently caress the coffee on the tray at the start of this level.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Re. comment about the concentration camps, not all of them were extermination factories, though there were several that were. Others had more specified purposes. Of special note - just in case you were ever thinking that the representation of the Nazais in this game was OTT - is UWZ Lager Lebrechtsdorf– Potulitz, a concentration camp specifically made to benefit from the slave labour of children. Yes, children.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Obviously it is not the same kind of media or genre, but it reminds me of Edgar Wright's cinematography. And that ain't a bad thing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hell, consider the Mosquito light bomber, built by the British. Made of Balsa wood, if I recall correctly.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Engels' eyes reminded me of a china dolls eyes - which at first reminded me of Jaws re. Quinns description of the shark, but then when taking into account her jaw being shattered it turns her from looking like a person into some kind of an uncanny valley manniquin. You see this thing talking; communicating like a human, but the eyes (or at least, my eyes) scream that what you are seeing is not human.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The video on the differences due to censorship is... strangely hilarious, though one can understand it given Germany's current laws that not even this game of 'slaughter all Nazis' is exempt from the iconography/word ban. Though changing the 'SS' lapel to a triangle seems... a bit of a poor choice, to say the least.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rasler posted:

Since this thread often strays into the sheer stupidity and evil of the Nazis, I thought I'd share this article about mad killer Nazi super cows.

I'm not kidding.

And again, the idea of a providing a superior form of product over established norms is under-mined by the stupidity of the Nazis.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

JcDent posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order - the deeper you go, the better it gets. It's like the exact opposite of Bioshock: Infinite.

Did you notice how Tekla, when handling the pistol, tilts the gun so that the aim is more on the left? I think it is because she's actually blind in her right eye, which is also supported by how 'lazy' her right eyelid is.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You know, when name came up for the LKW's newest upgrade, I thought it was going to make it into a laser-lmg instead of a single-shot rifle.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Since the German speech in this game has been pointed out to be highly varied, i.e. you can tell where the people come from due to their accents, I can only assume "Bang bang soda pop" and "Corral Johnny" are things used in German pop culture. Is that the case?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK... I suppose I'm going to ask something that not a lot of people have knowledge of, but I feel I have to ask - the game has done a fantastic job with the aesthetics of Nazism, i.e. grandious, overtly-Tuetonic-modernist style-architecture, with Prussian militaristic stylings (God, that sounded so pretentious), but what about the design of the vault? I mean, I can understand the use of hexagons and triangles based off of the Star of David - but was that type of... pattern and cylindrical/circular room shapes utilised in early Jewish architecture/design?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Am I making too great an assumption in thinking that the German language is very literal when it comes to nouns? Hospital = injury-house, ambulance = injury-wagon, canary = Canaries bird, hell even glove = hand-shoe.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It makes one wonder what a good 'universal' language would entail of - I mean, I know about Esperanto; but what would people here think a... a simple, uncomplicated language should entail of?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, it was a world war.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Holy crap - so that's what that taste is! I'd never say the primary taste of root beer was toothpaste, but I can taste hints of it when drinking it. Also, it explains why I much prefer shandy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

:gonk: OOOOHH! The tattoo removal!

Edit: Truth be told, I was reminded a LOT of Kubrik's 2001 as well as Dr. Strangelove, what with the war room.

Also, MMM! Killing Nazis just feels better on the moon!

Ain't that funny?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 20, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh yeah - what is the difference between 'Germany' and Germania'.

And don't say 'ia'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Are there other games that have a level set in the 'hub' area of the protagonist like this? This one seems strangely effective.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

A good game; certainly not as camp as W2009. Frankly, I can't say that I liked the 2nd-to-last fight; though I suppose that was really more a precursor to the actual last fight. Gameplay-wise it could be better made; but... story-wise it is effective enough. And visceral.

E: I am also VERY interested on seeing more that you alluded to at the end of the video, also how are you supposed to be able to crack the Enigma code yourself, without the Internet?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 30, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It may not be the most relevant thing, but all the talk about the letters and memos reminds me that there's currenly on the Beeb a historical drama of the television recording of the Adolf Eichmann trial. Pretty harrowing stuff; frankly.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I noticed in the Wyatt timeline, Scotland's under Nazi rule - were there any countries that were taken in the Fergus timeline that are free under Wyatt?

Heck, re. the treatment of black people in America during WWII, there are a number of books that discuss how the population in Britain considered the treatment of black soldiers by their own army as something the Nazi's would have done; I believe it is discussed thoroughly in When Jim Crow met John Bull.

Of course, that's not to say that there was plenty of racism in Britain, both then and now. For example, guess when the last advertised black-and-white minstrel show was done in Scotland. Answer: 2005.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I can see what Anya saw in Blazko - and I'm saying that as a perfectly straight guy and all.

• Locked thread