Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I kinda like the Transformers movies as a seeing is believing/what the gently caress is even going on spectacle. Every sequel contradicting the previous entry along with Optimus becoming more of a face ripping psychopath each movie is a fun trainwreck to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Not to mention by Transformers 4/5, the series is not rewarding the increasingly annoying "protagonist" to all the chaos, but actively going "Look how much this guy sucks". That tone helps so much.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh boy the Scooby Doo movie's next

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rody One Half posted:

"I prefer Transformers wholesale to this" oh my god Chris
I'm with Chris, honestly v:shobon:v

Rewatching these movies bored me out of my mind. At least in Transformers there's some cool action going on.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rody One Half posted:

I missed your apostrophe at first and went GOD NO, I CAN'T DO ANOTHER ENTIRE SERIES

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

MELRO2010 and the phrase "maybe DONNA" are really getting me through every week at this point

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I love the implication that Aaron Spelling started calling Tori Spelling, his own daughter, Donna for everything.

"You know who could be in Scream 2? DONNA."

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I don't think I've seen a single frame of the fifth Pirates movie. The last few weeks I'd been trying to think of what the subtitle was but I couldn't even do it. That movie barely exists to me.

Rody One Half posted:

That's a movie I've been wondering when they'd do for a while.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Andorra posted:

I don't think I've seen a single frame of the fifth Pirates movie. The last few weeks I'd been trying to think of what the subtitle was but I couldn't even do it. That movie barely exists to me.

I really didn't know there was a 5th until WHM announced it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Iron Crowned posted:

I really didn't know there was a 5th until WHM announced it.

You could tell me there have been seven Pirates movies, and I would have believed you

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I thought the 5th Pirates movie came out back in like 2015. It's barely 3 years old, May 2017. I usually remember something about movies that I've seen, but I can't remember a goddamn thing about Pirates 5.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
The only thing I remember about Pirates 5 is that Depp had to wear an earpiece to feed him his lines since he couldn't remember any of them. And it really, really shows.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I can remember the exact moment I dipped on the Pirates franchise. It was the second movie, during the voodoo priestess exposition dump. The movie had been tedious so far, but it felt like it was setting up the rules of the finale so I figured there was another fifteen, twenty minutes left at the most. When I checked, there was still an hour and a half remaining - I wasn't even halfway through. The rest of the film had remained a mystery until the recent episode.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't know how I didn't know there were 5 Pirates movies until WHM announced they were covering all 5. Or maybe I did but forgot. I had MoviePass at the time it came out and I was using it to see a lot of movies in theaters, even stuff I didn't really care about, but I never saw Pirates 5 until last night.

It was a pretty poo poo movie, so I missed nothing by not seeing it in theaters.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You could tell me there have been seven Pirates movies, and I would have believed you

I genuinely did think there were 7 and was surprised when they said this was the last.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

This is my first time watching Melrose Place so I can enjoy the syncable commentary and there's so much to enjoy even just in the background. The Apple IIe or whatever in their apartments bring back so many memories.

Also as someone who ashamedly likes pop punk holy poo poo was that some terrible pop punk when they're listening to the boom box.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The pop punk wasn't part of the original airing, was it?

The WHM guys often exaggerate parts of the movies/show for comedic effect but they are not exaggerating how much Billy suck. My lord does Billy suck.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, rewatching No Country for Old Men before listening to the episode on it is so much better than doing that with the Pirates movies lol

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I worked in a small 5 screen theater when No Country for Old Men came out. I've probably seen it on the big screen at least 10 times.

Near the end of its run I would get into the habit to watching the last 15 minutes or show of every screening on my shift to see how the audience reacts to its abrupt finale.

Most of the time as soon as Tommy Lee Jones finishes his last line and it smashes to black at least one person in the show would just go

"WHAT?"

and then there is this weird awkward bit of pure silence where the rest of the audience is collectively trying to determine if anything else may happen like a mid credit sequence or something.

As a theater employee all I want you to do is not make a mess and GTFO of the theater so I can clean up your mess and then do drugs in the parking garage, repeat.

So during this lull I would loudly proclaim from the exit "YUP, THATS IT. ITS OVER. THE END"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
They should have planned to an improved fake 6th Pirates movie because I probably would've gotten twenty minutes in before realizing what was up

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m with Chris Cabin for once: Hail Caesar rules.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
These guys are so great I swear to god. This is by far my favorite podcast. MY coworkers think I'm insane because I randomly burst out laughing on the production floor or at my desk.

Just being able to make me laugh by making fun of a movie or TV show I've never even loving seen is quite an accomplishment. Most satire like that requires actual knowledge of the subject or seeing it in real time like MST. Their callbacks, timing and ability not to step on each other as they riff takes real talent. And holy poo poo had no idea there were FIVE POTC movies.

Been binging thru the Melr0210 episodes after a month of free SIrius radio and for some reason, after watching a few clips of the show, I don't get the Billy impression even though it cracks me up. Their over the top impression made me go look it up and....He doesn't sound like that? :shrug: I don't know anything about either of these shows but looking up some clips and... my god they're bad. Not sure what's worse, the acting or the writing. Yee gods.

Anyhow, that's my random complimentary post on this funny podcast.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's a great impression not because Billy sounds like that at all, but because it is the most accurate way to impersonate Billy regardless

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m with Chris Cabin for once: Hail Caesar rules.

It's fantastic and I'll never understand how anybody couldn't like it

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I really want that "There Will Be Blood" episode tho. Eric always did a good Daniel Plainview.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
speaking of Chris Cabin being correct

https://twitter.com/Crabin/status/1269350794106732544

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I'm really enjoying MELR0210 but the commentary episode really killed the momentum for anyone not watching along.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

These guys are so great I swear to god. This is by far my favorite podcast. MY coworkers think I'm insane because I randomly burst out laughing on the production floor or at my desk.

Just being able to make me laugh by making fun of a movie or TV show I've never even loving seen is quite an accomplishment. Most satire like that requires actual knowledge of the subject or seeing it in real time like MST. Their callbacks, timing and ability not to step on each other as they riff takes real talent. And holy poo poo had no idea there were FIVE POTC movies.

This is definitely one of the main reasons that I stopped listening to HDTGM and the Flophouse. All too often I'd listen to an episode from either of those shows where if I hadn't seen the movie beforehand, then I wasn't going to get any decent idea what it was about, and all I'd end up with was a lot of contextless riffing. That's never been an issue with WHM, where I've listened to scores of episodes on movies I've never even heard of before, much less seen, where the guys not only can give me tons of laughs, but make me get fully on board with their thoughtful criticism and suggested plot changes.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Chris Cabin is incredible on Twitter. I don't have an account, but I was linked to a tweet of his by someone and I spent, like, 40 minutes going through his time line. He's very funny.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

jojoinnit posted:

The dance sequence alone justifies the movie's existence, and everything to do with the communists is amazing.

DangerDummy! posted:

Chris Cabin is incredible on Twitter. I don't have an account, but I was linked to a tweet of his by someone and I spent, like, 40 minutes going through his time line. He's very funny.

Turns out he's also a Pilot G-2 07 fan, which is the most correct of all opinions.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Turns out he's also a Pilot G-2 07 fan, which is the most correct of all opinions.

Truly a good man. I used to buy those for work but they always vanished.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

jojoinnit posted:

Admittedly I haven't seen it since theaters, but I remember it just feeling like a bunch of fun but forgettable skits and cameos without any real narrative thrust behind them. Brolin's character was kind of thin, and his debate on whether or not to leave Hollywood never really felt that consequential. It's probably my least favorite of the Coens, but to be fair that's still a lot better than most people can even dream of doing.

Actually, the more I think about it, the movie might have worked a lot better as a Buster Scruggs-style anthology of smaller stories taking place at the studio. Then the lack of a through-line might not have felt like such a missed opportunity.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Gettin' Place is a pretty good WHM bit

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I miss Martin cinemax the third

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

I miss Martin cinemax the third

Unfortunately he's been #MeToo'd and his plea deal to rat out Weinstein failed.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

https://twitter.com/whmpodcast/status/1270017339367579657?s=21

it’s loving happening folks

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Full schedule for anyone interested, and holy poo poo am I ready for the impression town that will be 490.

Episode 487 — Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Episode 488 — Scooby Doo (2002)
Episode 489 — The Mummy (2001)
Episode 490 — The Expendables

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — No Country for Old Men
Animation Damnation — Scooby Doo Where are You?: "Mystery Mask Mix-Up" (s1, e2)
The Nexus: TOS: "Journey to Babel" (s2, e10) TNG: "The Icarus Factor" (s2, e14)
Gleep Glossary: Salacious B. Crumb
A Side Order of Sleaze: Basket Case
Quarterly Synch-able Commentary: Cats (2019)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Bloody furious that The Mummy isn't a WLM situation but I'm very happy to get an ep on it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
But....The Mummy is good? Regardless it should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
They might have actually hosed up the titles or the year. The Mummy is 1999 and The Mummy Returns is 2001