Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Listen man, chris cabins got some debts to pay. Why do you think he came back to new york?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The shows are still pretty good, but I wish they would go back to a three host rotating format. In my opinion some of the best episodes were pairing the high energy Andrew and Steve with Eric or Cabin. All four together works sometimes, but seems to make for a surface level "look at this stupid movie!" instead of a smaller group being able to develop wonderful tangents like Hamster Man.

Four hosts seems to slow momentum and make it harder to keep an alternate narrative going. Like the glorious "Dad making fat stacks in Japan" in The Good Son or detailed layout of Muldoons in Halloween III. Even two hosts works fine, like for the Ilsa episode or that one animation damnation.

Side note: the Volcano episode is pure gold. I wouldn't mind disaster expert Justin Case popping up on future episodes.

I felt the same way when Cabin first came back, but I think they've really gelled now. There's been a few bits lately, like Russel Rules and Cum Heist, that have been legendary.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Loose Loomis was a Cabinvention

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
He also had the best bits on the Bee Movie episode.

"What if he crushed him... LIKE A BUG!!!"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Violator posted:

I felt the same way when Cabin first came back, but I think they've really gelled now. There's been a few bits lately, like Russel Rules and Cum Heist, that have been legendary.

Wilford Brimley terrorizing a rabbit and leading a caravan of surl is legendary. Jeremy botching up Trickster's shipping schedule is legendary. Going full-ninja in Pray for Death is legendary. Lambert reading the Mortal Kombat resort schedule is legendary. Those new bits were great, but we gotta give episodes time to breathe before inducting them into the legendary list.

Cabin is great, he was a critical part of Halloween III being one of their best episodes. Also fantastic on Secret Window, carefully breaking down why the movie doesn't work. But in my opinion his style suffers in a four host format as he doesn't have enough time to explain why a film is a failure from an expert perspective (his strength) and falls into trying to emulate Andrew or Steve's absurd characters, which isn't his strong suit.

One big exception to the four host set up is for On-Screens. The slower paced format works perfectly with the whole crew, especially for the Oscar previews as we get great discussion about good films and insight into the host's differing perspectives.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Cabin as the laziest Immortal in Highlander 3 was the best.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Cabin's not as gut-busting funny as the other three, but he's got a certain.. delivery i've always really liked since I started listening to the show. Even simple stuff like his indignant "HO-LEE poo poo" at the "it was crystal blue..." line in the Easy Ride episode, or that "And like I get it, you're running the Cold Tykes Club" in Collateral Beauty are some of my favourite WHM moments. (

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cabin is also responsible for "Prepare for Fluid" from Matrix Revolutions, which is possibly one of the best and most disgusting phrases ever used.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also he was what made the Hard Target episode a top five best episode

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I would LOVE to hear Kurt Russel nut

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
Fart House Blues starring Michael Caine made me lose my poo poo.

Also never forget Crabin's loving hilarious "just a bunch of naked women saying sorry"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
There's young producers on soundcloud RIGHT NOW making Synthbilly the hot new thing

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The way Eric just COMMITS to the word nut followed by Andrew's guffaw murdered me.

Which episode is "naked women saying sorry" from again?

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 5, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Good episode, but I'll admit I'm a little disappointed by no return of the Russell Rules. I'd love for them to do a one-shot episode of it, just the host talking and responding to nobody.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

An Overboard episode of WHM is a dream come true because that's a film that's so blatantly creepy that even a dense fella like me can notice. The sadist in me wants to see the story of Overboard directed by someone like the Coen brothers where Goldie Hawn offs herself halfway through the movie and the Kurt Russell character has to deal with covering his tracks as Goldie Hawn's family tries to track down what happened to their daughter while Russell's kids are traumatized with their new mother killing herself kickstarting their homicide career.

Speaking of weird alternate versions of film, the funniest part of the Mrs. Doubtfire episode is all the alternate dramatic versions of that film the WHM guys brainstorm up. It was a good episode to revisit. The Blame it on Rio episode was a different story. That episode was a lot harder to listen to the second time around.

Coming back to the Butterfly Effect was a joy and that might be my favourite WHM episode. The overall sophormoric edginess to it is so laughable the WHM guys know exactly how to roll their eyes at it. I never saw it but I can picture what kind of movie it is. It's exactly as Andrew said, that it's freshman's first screenplay and full of amateur mistakes and quirks.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Funny episode. I've never seen Overboard but always thought it looked bad. The various Michael Shannon impressions cracked me up.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Spatulater bro! posted:

Funny episode. I've never seen Overboard but always thought it looked bad. The various Michael Shannon impressions cracked me up.

Their Michael Shannon impersonation is the exact same as their Dermot Mulroney impersonation from the My Best Friend's Wedding episode

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Blame It On Rio is so horrifying. I love the episode.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Their Michael Shannon impersonation is the exact same as their Dermot Mulroney impersonation from the My Best Friend's Wedding episode

So their Tom Berenger?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Calaveron posted:

So their Tom Berenger?

ohmygodimgonnakillherohmygodimgonnakillherohmygodimgonnakillherohmygodimgonnakillherohmygodimgonnakillher

Good times.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Calaveron posted:

So their Tom Berenger?

I feel like the Shannon/Mulroney voice is notably slower than the Berenger voice

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The way Eric just COMMITS to the word nut followed by Andrew's guffaw murdered me.

Which episode is "naked women saying sorry" from again?

Demolition Man

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What does everybody think about their new Onscreen chatlog idea in the Dispatch email? It was a nice surprise to get so much content this time. And if you didn't make it to the bottom yet, after Overboard they're going to do Sidekicks! Kid me loved that movie.

WHM Slack posted:

ericszyszka
It didn't feel like an X-Men movie. I loved that.

chriscabin
And because it feels like an actual movie and not an episode of the X-Men TV series being released theatrically.

stephensajdak
It's the only X-Men movie with boobers.

ericszyszka
You mention these boobers. Where were they again?

stephensajdak
Logan gets flashed by the bachelorette party.

andrewjupin
I'm fine with it. I'd flash Hugh Jackman too.

stephensajdak
And I'm like...alright. you're rated R. I get it.

ericszyszka
Oh, right. So what?

chriscabin
Yeah, that was idiotic.

stephensajdak
I'm no prude, but it feels like too much of a nod to our friend Martin Cinemax III.

ericszyszka
Didn't realize I was on a podcast with Mike Pence.

chriscabin
Why do you need them? Why do you need to even have the conversation "hey, we're gonna need your tits for this shot."

andrewjupin
"::sluuuuuurp:: Fantastic film, Hugh! I loved every precious, boober second! ::sluuuuuuurp::"

stephensajdak
"Well Logan (slurp) You just found yourself in the 10:45 slot on Cinemax!""

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 6, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Blame It On Rio is so horrifying. I love the episode.

That episode isn't comedy so much as group therapy talking through PTSD.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Thinking about the Overboard episode, what's interesting is how they all basically agree it's a fun movie with great chemistry between the leads. Generally positive opinions. Yet it's the one trait - the super problematic kidnapping plot device - that makes them all agree it's horrible. Have there been other episode where they basically like the movie except for one huge glaring problem?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

That was NOT how I thought that sentence would end, I was absolutely busting a gut

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Spatulater bro! posted:

Thinking about the Overboard episode, what's interesting is how they all basically agree it's a fun movie with great chemistry between the leads. Generally positive opinions. Yet it's the one trait - the super problematic kidnapping plot device - that makes them all agree it's horrible. Have there been other episode where they basically like the movie except for one huge glaring problem?

To be fair, the initial kidnapping branches off into several other heinous crimes. Really though, the only thing really keeping Overboard afloat is the chemistry between Hawn and Russell. Very, very few movies are going to get some on screen chemistry that good.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What does everybody think about their new Onscreen chatlog idea in the Dispatch email? It was a nice surprise to get so much content this time. And if you didn't make it to the bottom yet, after Overboard they're going to do Sidekicks! Kid me loved that movie.

I didn't even know that was there until you pointed it out TB, I found it super funny! Wolvie and Jupin's reluctance to say it was my fave part.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

sean10mm posted:

That episode isn't comedy so much as group therapy talking through PTSD.

My favourite bit in that episode is how they're talking about how they normally watch movies separately, bit Jupin, Chris and Steve all saw it together before recording and Jupin laughing at Steve's completely horrified reaction to it. "I'm Italian, russian, half-jewish, have a lot of Mediterranean in my blood; olive skinned for the most part. I am white as a sheet as I record this podcast. I am loving albino right now, because it's disgusting".

God, that episode rules.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
ahahahaha holy poo poo the new nexus episode rules.

"Jim, I have to go back to my cabin, i've got a case of the fuckin' Puke Dick!"

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Grondoth posted:

There's young producers on soundcloud RIGHT NOW making Synthbilly the hot new thing

Please tell me there's synthwave Ennio Morricone remixes.
I haven't seen Overboard, but I have seen the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 trailer. They spent zillions of dollars on special effects but the big reveal is still Kurt Russell's smile. That thing is powerful.

That X-Men chat is hilarious, but Duckfeed's Days of Future Cast Logan episode gave us Gambit working for Mr. Skinester.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 7, 2017

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I'm pretty happy with the reaction they had to the TOS slash fic I found for them

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

A Meat posted:

I'm pretty happy with the reaction they had to the TOS slash fic I found for them

This one was better than potty training Data. I could only listen to the first 5 seconds of that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Listening to old episodes, and I came across one of the earliest instances of the gang talking about Gallagher, which in turn has one of my favorite Eric moments. They spend about five minutes riffing about the sledge-o-matic and the giant couch and whatever, and just as they're about to move on to the next subject Eric interjects completely deadpan:

"He is a living nightmare."

Dying.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
hey, what's th edeal with the Cat in the Hat movie? why do I never see it talked about like Bee Movie and Food Fight n poo poo? where's it fit in the Myers oeuvre? cuz it's on TV and it's freaking me the gently caress out

I don't know whether it was "good" or "bad" but it seems like an obvious listener request.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Fart City posted:

Listening to old episodes, and I came across one of the earliest instances of the gang talking about Gallagher, which in turn has one of my favorite Eric moments. They spend about five minutes riffing about the sledge-o-matic and the giant couch and whatever, and just as they're about to move on to the next subject Eric interjects completely deadpan:

"He is a living nightmare."

Dying.

Which ep was that?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It might be the greatest horror movie ever made though

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

kalensc posted:

Which ep was that?

Sorry, but I'm honestly not sure. I've been reworking my way through the back catalog at work, multiple episodes at a time, so it all kind of blurs together. I know they got on Gallagher because they did a tangent about lovely stand up comedy set designs, and I'm pretty sure it predates the WTF interview because they didn't do any of the "I can do [blank], Mark" bits. I'm thinking it was probably a summer rerun of a very early episode.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fart City posted:

Sorry, but I'm honestly not sure. I've been reworking my way through the back catalog at work, multiple episodes at a time, so it all kind of blurs together. I know they got on Gallagher because they did a tangent about lovely stand up comedy set designs, and I'm pretty sure it predates the WTF interview because they didn't do any of the "I can do [blank], Mark" bits. I'm thinking it was probably a summer rerun of a very early episode.

Was it part of the derail about the exec at Netflix whose only job is to come up with godawful titles for standup specials? I loved that bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Punkin Spunkin posted:

hey, what's th edeal with the Cat in the Hat movie? why do I never see it talked about like Bee Movie and Food Fight n poo poo? where's it fit in the Myers oeuvre? cuz it's on TV and it's freaking me the gently caress out

I don't know whether it was "good" or "bad" but it seems like an obvious listener request.

It's one of those movies that might be too bizarre and bad for WHM. It's just a series of bad ideas, everything about that film is grotesque.When I first saw it was almost enlightening. Admittedly it took me a long time to develop any kind of taste and CitH was several examples on what not to do in your movie. I had already hated it but it got non-stop viewership while I was babysitting my nephew. When he decided it was time to switch over to Chicken Little, it was a relief.