Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love that they do "WHMPODCAST" for stuff they enjoy advertising and actually use, and do "PROMO CODE: HATE" for stuff that they very clearly don't want to plug. It works pretty well as a tell for what's actually worth a poo poo vs. what the Big Daddies are just talking about to pay rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My issue with the adds is that basically always for products not available in Sweden, so for me they're just white noise. I skip them when I can.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kalensc posted:

Main feed is at least 500 hours of content by now, some episodes having a few minutes of ads seems incredibly reasonable to me.

Especially since they add some flair to it. Promo Code: HATE

Yeah, I do like how they're just not reading straight ad copy, or at least make it believable that they're not. I loving hate hearing other podcasts who's ad copy is blatantly just read straight from the script. On the other hand it's also great that thy're not using pre-recorded ads from others, I am very sick of hearing the co-founder of Reddit advertising how great boomers and gen-x businesses are.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Across all the great impressions, I have to say the one that makes me laugh before I even understand the loving joke is Nick Nolte. Andrew's Nick Nolte is a thing of beauty.

rrrrrkkkkrrrreeeeYOUR FUCKIN GRAAAANDMOTHER

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
All I need to start cackling is to hear Andrew or Steve say “aw goddamnit” in their Nolte voice.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I loved their bit of if Nick Nolte was in Unbreakable, from the Another 48 Hours episode.

"THEY CALLED ME MR. GLAAaaAAaaAASSSSS!"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Another 48 Hours has my singular favorite Nolte description:

Andrew: And at this point he becomes... incoherent...

AW GAWD drat, GAWD drat IT ICCCEEE MAAAN

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The better "gawd dammut" is their Wilford Brimley from Hard Target.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

:agreed:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

clown shoes posted:

Well

obviously

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So is Eric's aversion to animated feature length films the reason we haven't had an anime month?

Violator
May 15, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

So is Eric's aversion to animated feature length films the reason we haven't had an anime month?

I think common sense is the reason we haven’t had anime month. I love the show but can’t imagine listening to them make fun of anime for four weeks in a row.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Violator posted:

I think common sense is the reason we haven’t had anime month. I love the show but can’t imagine listening to them make fun of anime for four weeks in a row.

Anime would suck but there is PLENTY of bad animated movies to worth with.

Off the top of my head:

Animated Titantic movie
One of those knock off Pixar movies
A Troll in Central Park
Pebble and the Penhuin (WITH BELUSHI)

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
They guys reference Akira a lot so I don't think they're vehemently anti-anime. It just isn't their thing as a whole, which is fine.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Anime would suck but there is PLENTY of bad animated movies to worth with.

Off the top of my head:

Animated Titantic movie
One of those knock off Pixar movies
A Troll in Central Park
Pebble and the Penhuin (WITH BELUSHI)

I would love this though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHNztg0X3s

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Marin Karin posted:

They guys reference Akira a lot so I don't think they're vehemently anti-anime. It just isn't their thing as a whole, which is fine.

I would love this though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHNztg0X3s

I don't smell burnt toast, but I'm not convinced that I didn't have a stroke.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghOKU8D-lMY

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It never fails to make me laugh that that scene is in a movie about the loving Titanic.

It's like having a rapping cat in a movie about the battle of the Somme.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

kalensc posted:

Main feed is at least 500 hours of content by now, some episodes having a few minutes of ads seems incredibly reasonable to me.

Especially since they add some flair to it. Promo Code: HATE

I was more referring to the fact they went back and added more ads into the middle of the episode. But I don't mind them being there. I guess if they took out outdated ads, that's cool too.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I legit like Ninja Scroll even though I haven't seen it since I was 16, and I know how gross it is. They've mentioned it a few times; Steve and Eric have seen it I guess and reference -that scene-* a lot.

*There's a ninja woman whose specialty is that she has a poisonous vagina, and is sent Black Widow style to seduce and kill important targets. One of the villains is a giant man with stone-like flesh who drinks blood and is super tough. Until he starts raping the ninja woman, then he dies.*
I swear there's some parts in the anime that aren't super gross, like when the main character headbutts a guy to death. It takes quite a few headbutts.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I remember the fight vs. the blind samurai was cool as well. I grew up watching hosed up 90's anime like that and Vampire Hunter D so I have a soft spot for it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Eric's just an expert in making a chekov's gun out of any innocuous little statement or turn of phrase the others do right
Like the whole smegma thing or Steve introducing the thirsty idiom and later Eric claiming someone's getting quenched

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

It's A Wonderful Life may be my new favorite. I haven't stopped laughing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_the_raven

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm gonna rewatch the movie before listening to the episode because it's been years since I've seen it. For anyone who has Amazon Prime, it's on there.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
They’ve been on fire this month holy poo poo!
Throbber might work it’s way into my vocabulary the same way boober has.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gonna admit the eyes got a bit cloudy even when they were just describing the scene at the end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do hope that this week on Patreon is The Nexus, I'll be driving 9 hours on Friday and I love The Wrath of Khan.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So like if I become a patreon I get a link that will allow me to access the super cool feed with like pocketcasts and stuff right? Nothing more complicated than that right?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Calaveron posted:

So like if I become a patreon I get a link that will allow me to access the super cool feed with like pocketcasts and stuff right? Nothing more complicated than that right?

Yeah, you get a custom RSS feed that enables the entire Patreon archive. You also get a link to a Google Drive folder that has the first 100+ episodes not on the default podcast feed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

clown shoes posted:

Yeah, you get a custom RSS feed that enables the entire Patreon archive. You also get a link to a Google Drive folder that has the first 100+ episodes not on the default podcast feed.

Well I know where I'm spending my money when I get home

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

clown shoes posted:

I’ve got access to the old episode archive, but is there an easy way to port those into an iPhone? Do I need to download each individually then move them into the podcast app?

Star Wars was good, Back to the Future was amazing. I liked Eric’s 9/11 investigative strategy, only to use a time machine to eliminate suspects, not prevent the event.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’ve got access to the old episode archive, but is there an easy way to port those into an iPhone? Do I need to download each individually then move them into the podcast app?

The best way is to use iTunes to sync them to your phone. Make sure to change the media kind to "podcasts" in the file options.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
How on EARTH did Uncle Paulie from the Rocky series not make it onto Loser Mt. Rushmore??

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Star Wars was good, Back to the Future was amazing. I liked Eric’s 9/11 investigative strategy, only to use a time machine to eliminate suspects, not prevent the event.

Aw man, not having an easy pocketcasts esque feed to the old episodes really bums me out

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, Jimmy the Raven hahahahahaha

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Holy poo poo, Jimmy the Raven hahahahahaha

Andrew's "What the gently caress?" at that discussion is pure puzzlement.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Spiderverse deserves an on-screen IMO

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

clown shoes posted:

Andrew's "What the gently caress?" at that discussion is pure puzzlement.
I love how fast he goes from that to "this bird better have a star on the Walk of Fame!"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I lost it at the part about 320 Sycamore being a Fight Club house :laffo:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Harry going off to a glass factory in Rochester is because all the glassware in the US was made in up-state NY in the 19th-20th centuries. This place is pretty cool: https://www.cmog.org/

Bedford Falls is based off of Seneca Falls, birthplace of the women's suffrage movement in the US. It has a It's a Wonderful Life museum in the town. I went there and it was kind of sad. Very beautiful town though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I lost it at the part about 320 Sycamore being a Fight Club house :laffo:

That and Cabin's singing SLAYED me. I am DEAD.