Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Bond has always been a very icky and awful character and it's to the credit of most of the Bond actors that one can easily forget it or look past it.

In regards to WLM, I personally would've picked "The Last Crusade" as the dedicated great Connery movie but that's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BigglesSWE posted:

Bond has always been a very icky and awful character and it's to the credit of most of the Bond actors that one can easily forget it or look past it.

In regards to WLM, I personally would've picked "The Last Crusade" as the dedicated great Connery movie but that's me.

Yeah, agreed. Or Untouchables, which is not only a great movie, but the movie that got Connery his Oscar.

They may not want to talk about De Niro so soon after Goodfellas, though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God drat their JCVD impressions make me laugh every time

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahaha holy poo poo, Steve wasn't kidding

https://twitter.com/stephensajdak/status/1378125359623905282

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

So Amazon had Enter the Ninja to stream until just now? Frick.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Just watched/listened to Enter the Ninja and it absolutely ruled. Might be my favorite commentary yet. This is the kind of schlock this format was meant for.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

fatherboxx posted:

This month should be called We Hate Moviesh

:hmmyes:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I missed the last one of these

https://twitter.com/stephensajdak/status/1379114897112449027?s=20

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

15 mins!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfbyz9OIVWc

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Enter the Ninjamentary was excellent and I wish I could enjoy anything in life as much as Shô Kosugi enjoys being an evil Ninja .

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Big Daddy Dispatch is out. Outside of the specialty episodes, it's Connery month, baby!

Episode 540 — You Only Live Twice
Episode 541 — Zardoz
Episode 542 — Highlander
Episode 543 — The Avengers (1998)

Patreon Episodes:
Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — Goldfinger
Animation Damnation — The Mighty Ducks: "Puck Fiction" (s1, e16)
The Nexus: TOS: "A Private Little War" (s1 e19) TNG: "Evolution" (s3, e1)
Gleep Glossary: Ree-Yees
Melr0210: 90210: "Beach Blanket Brandon" (s2, e1) Melrose Place: "Picture Imperfect" (s1, e21)
Once in a Lifetime (Inaugural Episode!): Stalked by My Doctor

I still say there are better Connery movies for WLM, even better Connery Bond movies, than Goldfinger. That's a landmine of a movie. I mean, From Russia With Love is right there, and a MUCH better Bond movie. But Goldfinger is everyone's favorite, for some reason. I'm hoping for a, "Holy poo poo, what was that?" episode, personally.

Oh gently caress yes. The fake James Bond movie, starring Sean Connery and his goddamn toupee.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Oh gently caress yes. The fake James Bond movie, starring Sean Connery and his goddamn toupee.

Wait, you're not thinking of the one he came back for at a different studio, are you? That's Never Say Never Again. You Only Live Twice is an official Bond movie.

It's hard to say, though. Pretty sure he started wearing a toupee around Thunderball.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, you're not thinking of the one he came back for at a different studio, are you? That's Never Say Never Again. You Only Live Twice is an official Bond movie.

It's hard to say, though. Pretty sure he started wearing a toupee around Thunderball.

Oh poo poo, I completely misread that. You're right. Somehow that's even better--I've seen You Only Live Twice more and I can't wait for them to pull it apart, especially the scene with Little Nellie

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

thrawn527 posted:

They did do Never Say Never Again back in the day though

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They did do Never Say Never Again back in the day though

I totally forgot about this. I may have to go back and give it a listen.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Never Say Never Again is in the pantheon of greatest eps, for cold burger king alone.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Just finished the first episode; I am now writing a three page treatment called "Handjob Martin". It's gonna make millions.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Just finished the first episode; I am now writing a three page treatment called "Handjob Martin". It's gonna make millions.

Pro post/username combo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Marin Karin posted:

Never Say Never Again is in the pantheon of greatest eps, for cold burger king alone.

Is this also the riff about riding a horse off a cliff? I don’t remember specifics I just remember losing my poo poo.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Is this also the riff about riding a horse off a cliff? I don’t remember specifics I just remember losing my poo poo.

Yes

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

weekly font posted:

That’s second director longstocking

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

bobkatt013 posted:

That’s second director longstocking

“That horse had 5 simultaneous heart attacks” still makes me laugh uncontrollably every time I hear it. That and “cold Burger King” in that Scottish accent.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GPTribefan posted:

“That horse had 5 simultaneous heart attacks” still makes me laugh uncontrollably every time I hear it. That and “cold Burger King” in that Scottish accent.

"I got some friesh that fell between the seatsh here"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the extended cold Burger King riffs from around then are the only things that have made me turn off or skip an episode. There's something so viscerally revolting to me about cold fast food it was triggering my gag reflex.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'm Sean Connery and this is lady slap!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Marin Karin posted:

Also, Connery not wanting any one to see his 'pepperonis' .

My wife and I still call nipples Pepperonis because of that episode.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
For anyone who doesn't really watch Trek, but listens to the Nexus, that's a really good TOS episode to watch. It's their Vietnam Episode basically, and Kirk basically just has to accept he can't fix this situation.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I buy their live thing tonight I can watch it later as long as it's within a week right? And the video is included?I don't think I'll be able to catch it live but want to check it out.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

explosivo posted:

If I buy their live thing tonight I can watch it later as long as it's within a week right? And the video is included?I don't think I'll be able to catch it live but want to check it out.

I think you can download it anytime during the week.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

explosivo posted:

And the other way I’m pretty sure. I think I bought Dark Fate maybe four days after it was live.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've only ever seen these dudes in pictures and seeing them doing a podcast on video is the weirdest loving thing lol

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This streaming service could use some tweaking

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have no idea why but I somehow managed to convince myself this was a live commentary thing with video when I bought it. It's funny but I'm not sure if I'd pay $10 to watch them livestream a podcast episode in the future, especially if it's a movie I've never seen before lol. Still though, it's my stupid fault and I'm happy to support them anyway so :shrug:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
You Only Live Twice is such a weird movie, I'm glad the guys keyed into how weird and boring it can be. It opens with a big rocket eating smaller, littler rockets, and has Bond flying around a gyrocopter, but we spend so much time loving around in Japan and features some truly appalling yellowface.

I haven't listened to the end of the episode yet, but I was struck by how little Connery seemed like he wanted to be there, especially compared to his performance in Goldfinger. He never looks like he's having fun in YOLT, and he basically phones it in. I think he actually seems more interested in Never Say Never Again, and that movie sucks!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

I have no idea why but I somehow managed to convince myself this was a live commentary thing with video when I bought it. It's funny but I'm not sure if I'd pay $10 to watch them livestream a podcast episode in the future, especially if it's a movie I've never seen before lol. Still though, it's my stupid fault and I'm happy to support them anyway so :shrug:

I wish they were just on a patreon tier. I don't have a huge desire to 'watch' what is basically a podcast, and I really don't like the artificial scarcity involved.

But that Rambo movie was terrible and I do want to see them riff on it, so I might succumb.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coheed and Camembert posted:

I haven't listened to the end of the episode yet, but I was struck by how little Connery seemed like he wanted to be there, especially compared to his performance in Goldfinger. He never looks like he's having fun in YOLT, and he basically phones it in. I think he actually seems more interested in Never Say Never Again, and that movie sucks!

It really speaks to how utterly fed up he was with being James Bond, basically resenting that he was pigeonholed into this role when he (in the words of Michael Caine) "was, and is, a much better actor than just playing James Bond"

Honestly? A neat idea would've been to have the opening fake assassination and then introduce a new actor as Bond after some plastic surgery or something, really leaning into the "everyone thinks James Bond is dead and with a new face he's essentially undetectable". But then again maybe that kind of twist wasn't something that would've worked as well in the late 60s.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Angry_Ed posted:

But then again maybe that kind of twist wasn't something that would've worked as well in the late 60s.

Nah, it would have gone just fine based on recent history. Easily one of the biggest issues with the Bond franchise is that they don't want to engage with the history or explore the question of "what the hell is a James Bond" and it's why parodies and knockoffs can do so much wilder stuff.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

It really speaks to how utterly fed up he was with being James Bond, basically resenting that he was pigeonholed into this role when he (in the words of Michael Caine) "was, and is, a much better actor than just playing James Bond"

And yet Connery came back to the role on two separate occasions after taking some time off. Odd!

Angry_Ed posted:

Honestly? A neat idea would've been to have the opening fake assassination and then introduce a new actor as Bond after some plastic surgery or something, really leaning into the "everyone thinks James Bond is dead and with a new face he's essentially undetectable". But then again maybe that kind of twist wasn't something that would've worked as well in the late 60s.

For what it's worth, I think On Her Majesty's Secret Service, the first post-Connery Bond, did its character introduction perfectly. Have some action and a very good one-liner, and then never bring it up again. It really works, especially after watching all the Connery ones.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Bought and watched the Last Blood live show. First time for one of these, and I didn't really care for it. I'm so used to being able to move around and do stuff while a podcast is on, and it was weird to just sit there and watch them just.....talk. The visual element really added nothing. Won't be doing this again.

As bad as You Only Live Twice was, it is crazy how big its cultural footprint is. It was fun seeing where the man eating piranha pond and volcano lair came from. The Simpsons, Austin Powers, The Incredibles, and others. The score is so The Incredibles it was weirding me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coheed and Camembert posted:

And yet Connery came back to the role on two separate occasions after taking some time off. Odd!

As usual it always comes down to :10bux: (he demanded over 1 Million GBP and got two back-to-back film projects of his choice in addition to that)

fishing with the fam posted:

As bad as You Only Live Twice was, it is crazy how big its cultural footprint is. It was fun seeing where the man eating piranha pond and volcano lair came from. The Simpsons, Austin Powers, The Incredibles, and others. The score is so The Incredibles it was weirding me out.

Just realized that The Incredibles also borrows "secret launch facility" at the same time it borrows the volcano lair.