Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Space Jam is on the margins of what can even be considered a movie. It’s like a clip show with some framing devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I've watched Space Jam 2 and Infinity... There's zero way Eternals is worse than those two.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I will say this about Eternals, and it represents my own variation of “it’s ok to like a movie”: sometimes it’s NOT ok to DEFEND a movie. I liked watching Eternals, and then it immediately left my mind never to be seen or thought of again. I liked it because I’m a Marvel fan and will watch anything they do and that’s it because I like watching a movie without critically thinking, but objectively every single component of the movie was awful and I cannot fathom how someone can stand anywhere and go “NO IT WAS GOOD FOR XYZ”.

Bottom line, I cannot wait to see which attitude opens the show next week: rage or utter exhaustion and resignation.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think part of it is the types of movies they are.

Space Jam is basically a kids movie so you have to accept a certain amount of dumb poo poo. The IP stuff everywhere is definitely a huge WTF but its still just a cartoon movie in the end.

Eternals was marketed as 'finally a comic book movie for real adults!' They hired a Director! It has a sex scene! They shot stuff on location without cgi or green screens! (This was literally a marketing point)

In the end it was just a loving boring movie with lovely FX that does nothing more than shoe horn a Blade ADR line at the very end. I think this makes it a worse movie than Space Jam.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I haven't seen it but I can't imagine Eternals is more boring than Dune 2021, a movie so boring it doesn't actually have any sort of climax
Like I'm amazed these guys keep going on and on about how Dune is their best of 2021 because oh my god was it boring and ponderous and dull and I'm not saying this as someone who has been poisoned by the unending parade of garbage movies that have been released since 2008. It was just awful

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Calaveron posted:

I haven't seen it but I can't imagine Eternals is more boring than Dune 2021, a movie so boring it doesn't actually have any sort of climax
Like I'm amazed these guys keep going on and on about how Dune is their best of 2021 because oh my god was it boring and ponderous and dull and I'm not saying this as someone who has been poisoned by the unending parade of garbage movies that have been released since 2008. It was just awful

I didn't think Dune was boring at all. It's the first 'epic' movie I've seen in a long time. Everything was a spectacle, which is also what Eternals was trying to do but failed because of Marvel's "eh the FX are good enough. Print it." attitude.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Eternals was a solid 2 out of 5 but unless your name is Star Wars or Highlander don't throw a bunch of loving lore at me in a scroll

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Space Jam made me angry, Eternals made me bored. They’re two very different types of bad but Space Jam is worse by quite a bit.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Oh good, can't wait to hear the totally new and original hot take of Marvel being the worst thing ever and destroying cinema and how they do not show the dicks going in or something.

Eternals was too bland to get very worked up about. It was there. And That's probably a bigger knock on a movie then saying its it's terrible. At least when something is terrible, I felt something. I know there are a bunch of people who love the new M4trix, but I honestly feel it was one of the worst of the year, far worse than Eternals, but I will say I remember far more of M4trix then Eternals, so there's that. Eternals was, "...okay, sure."

I avoided Space Jam because why would I even want to watch that?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Time to watch Infinite.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Calaveron posted:

With any other director, I may agree with you on Dune. As it was, it was so well done I can't dislike it too much (even though it was ponderous at times, we had WAY too many visions of Zandaya that go no where, and the "who is the traitor" subplot was basically cut out almost entirely).

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
I liked when the chill punch guy that dies from Train to Busan showed up as a superpowered chill punch guy that dies and then got mildly upset when he, predictably, died. I don't remember anything else about Eternals.

I watched it Tuesday.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Infinite is the best movie of their worst of 2021 month. Which is certainly something.

Throw Chiwetel into Eternals and maybe that changes.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

enigmahfc posted:

I know there are a bunch of people who love the new M4trix, but I honestly feel it was one of the worst of the year,

Yeah this is like your sixth post about how bad Resurrections was. That movie's not perfect but at least its ambitions felt creative and inspired. It felt like the main motivation for Eternals was to prove that a Marvel movie can be Important Cinema, and in that regard it's a colossal failure. I don't know if it's quite as bad as Space Jam, but it's one of the most dull, draining movies I've seen in a long time.

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 20, 2022

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yeah this is like your sixth post about how bad Resurrections was.

Like I said, at least it made me feel something and had poo poo i could remember, for better or worse.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
10 minutes of self promotions before an episode actually starts feels a biiiit excessive. I get it good on them for doing so many live shows and LRMs and such but maaaaan they just drag on and on

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

enigmahfc posted:

Eternals was too bland to get very worked up about. It was there. And That's probably a bigger knock on a movie then saying its it's terrible. At least when something is terrible, I felt something.

Eternals certainly ain't good, but Venom: Let There Be Garbage at least has something to talk about

SkeletonHero posted:

I liked when the chill punch guy that dies from Train to Busan showed up as a superpowered chill punch guy that dies and then got mildly upset when he, predictably, died. I don't remember anything else about Eternals.

That jacked nerd from the Big Sick threw space hadokens at Spyro the Dragon one time

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Calaveron posted:

10 minutes of self promotions before an episode actually starts feels a biiiit excessive. I get it good on them for doing so many live shows and LRMs and such but maaaaan they just drag on and on

Agreed that all the ads in general are really looonnnggg but, you know what? They worked really hard to get where they are and, for my dollar, have provided me with plenty of entertainment. The amount of work shifts they've gotten me through alone pays for itself and the idea of them making some money from what they do is difficult for me to say they should knock it off or tone it down.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 21, 2022

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Every year for LRM I ask for Sub Rosa on the Nexus. It's gonna happen one of these days

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed that all the ads in general are really looonnnggg but, you know what? They worked really hard to get where they are and, for my dollar, have provided me with plenty of entertainment. The amount of work shifts they've gotten me through alone pays for itself and the idea of them making some money from what they do is difficult for me to say they should knock it off or tone it down.

Oh absolutely and I've used their promo code for a product or two but gee it really sucks when you hit the three back to back ads right as you're in the middle of your shower and can't skip Steve desperately trying to make online banking sound cool

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Do NOT worry about Louie Anderson.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mweber posted:

Do NOT worry about Louie Anderson.

This is how I find out?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
This is what I get for eating cat hotdogs yesterday

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/therealsobreiro/status/1484558267493793795

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1484562278989053953

Personally I always figured this is why my podcast app has ffd +30s button. The music they use in ads is nice because you can definitely tell when it's over if you're skipping through it. I listened to Last Podcast for a while after they moved exclusive to Spotify and the way that app makes you listen to ads is something to complain about for sure. That poo poo sucks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Calaveron posted:

Oh absolutely and I've used their promo code for a product or two but gee it really sucks when you hit the three back to back ads right as you're in the middle of your shower and can't skip Steve desperately trying to make online banking sound cool

LOL

I was just about to write a post about WHM shower listening and hitting a long ad break, which is the only time it's a problem for me.

Sorry, WHM crew. I'm not gonna risk electrocution or getting my phone/laptop wet to bypass your online psychiatry pitch.

I wonder if they help write the ads or just read them verbatim in their style. Sometimes they seem to come off the cuff on a few of them and occasionally the sarcasm sneaks through in their delivery.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Usually an ad contract just requires you to hit X, Y, and Z points and you're given freedom beyond that. I think some of them cannot give a poo poo to riff, reading near-verbatim, and then you get Steve going with new acronyms and bits every time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

secretly best girl posted:

Usually an ad contract just requires you to hit X, Y, and Z points and you're given freedom beyond that. I think some of them cannot give a poo poo to riff, reading near-verbatim, and then you get Steve going with new acronyms and bits every time.

I figure that the acronyms are on the ad copy

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I would have said that if it weren't for a few of the absolute bonkers deep nerd drops he's done in one or two.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
I really appreciated Andrew’s stretch of ads.

“Yeah, yeah, what’s next? Oh? Keeps!”

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Billy Gnosis posted:

This is what I get for eating cat hotdogs yesterday

This was literally and I do mean literally the first thing that popped into my head when I found out. :(

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
This is the year I finally get “a night in sickbay” on the nexus.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Fellow shower listeners: get a waterproof bluetooth shower speaker. They’re like 20 bucks and your phone can stay away from the wet and you can skip ads

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
What podcasts are people listening to without ads? Having to listen to people go on and on about ball shavers and pillows is just the price you pay for entertainment these days.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JT Smiley posted:

What podcasts are people listening to without ads? Having to listen to people go on and on about ball shavers and pillows is just the price you pay for entertainment these days.

Junk Food Dinner and Minion Death Cult only have ads for their Patreon theses days.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's basically "you are too small for ads" or "you actively refuse them". A cohost of mine absolutely refuses to do an ad for anything but other shows on our network, no ifs, ands, or buts, and as long as he's paying the hosting, I ain't fighting.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I just wish they offered an ad free version on the patreon for the regular show. Feel like that's worth $10 a month. I get that with my LPOTL sub for $10 a month.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

There are several podcasts I listen to (anything Earwolf, Bill Simmons, etc.) that still say they have ad breaks and then it just kinda skips to the next segment. Maybe because I'm not in the US? Everything Headgum still has them, including WHM.

I would kinda like a ad-free WHM feed because any physical product they are selling I can't get anyway.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Chapo doesn’t do ads but I mean look at their patreon they really really don’t need to. I’m happy with my funny movie boys getting paid as long as I have a skip button

dorium posted:

I just wish they offered an ad free version on the patreon for the regular show. Feel like that's worth $10 a month. I get that with my LPOTL sub for $10 a month.

This would be good. And speaking of the Chapos I wish WHM would do what they do and put up all the free feed stuff on the paid feed so that I only need to have one on my app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Love these guys. 2021 Dune was fine. “They’re not human…they’re BRUTAL!” is such a bad line.