Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

I tend to like Gleep Glossary because the majority of episodes are about some EU guy you've never heard of and doesn't really matter to the core Star Wars story. It's basically just listening to them riff on some random sci-fi bullshit that just happens to be in the SW universe, but I can understand being uninterested if you just don't care about Star Wars at all.

I don’t know what you mean. I’ve heard of everyone they’re talking about. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hockles posted:

I've never seen a Star Trek episode or know anything about the franchise, but I enjoy Nexus. They make me think about actually watching TNG

You should watch TNG. I started because of the Nexus and it's fantastic. Really can't get into any other star trek stuff but I enjoy hearing them talk about TOS anyway. Mostly for the Bones jokes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

I don’t know what you mean. I’ve heard of everyone they’re talking about. :colbert:

:negative::same::negative:

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

JT Smiley posted:

My podcast feed has been pretty light lately, maybe it's time to finally start the Nexus. That and the gleep glossary are basically the only WHM shows I don't really listen to cause I'm not a big fan of either priorities.

The Nexus is a great listen. Their impersonations and exaggerations of the shows' characters are so much fun. What they've done to McCoy is hilarious.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kneecaps posted:

The Nexus is a great listen. Their impersonations and exaggerations of the shows' characters are so much fun. What they've done to McCoy is hilarious.

Their McCoy is an entirely unique character from the show's McCoy, and it's loving amazing. The Nexus is worth listening to for him alone.

"Ya ever feel like a freak on a leash, Jim boy?"

Oh I know. I've seen you at the meetings.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I must defend my Star Wars cred and say that I was just posting that for a prospective listener, I myself am a close personal friend of Lowbacca and IG-88.

But I never actually read much EU, I can already tell that a poster with Thrawn name and avatar is much more powerful than I in that respect. When I was a young kid I was gifted The Crystal Star and I don't think I've read a single Star Wars novel in the intervening 25 years. I had a bunch of those guides that Eric pulls from though. The Star Wars Technical Journal was my favorite thing ever and I'm so sad that it was given away at some point in my growing up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

I must defend my Star Wars cred and say that I was just posting that for a prospective listener, I myself am a close personal friend of Lowbacca and IG-88.

But I never actually read much EU, I can already tell that a poster with Thrawn name and avatar is much more powerful than I in that respect. When I was a young kid I was gifted The Crystal Star and I don't think I've read a single Star Wars novel in the intervening 25 years. I had a bunch of those guides that Eric pulls from though. The Star Wars Technical Journal was my favorite thing ever and I'm so sad that it was given away at some point in my growing up.

I kid, because years ago I ran a thread here on SA where we read through terrible Star Wars books and made fun of them. I started the thread off by reading the truly awful "Jedi Prince" books, featuring both Ken and Trioculous, two characters most Star Wars fans have (rightfully) tried to forget existed, but were a hell of a lot of fun to make fun of in the thread. Needless to say, I lost my poo poo when they were the focus of their own Gleep Glossary episodes.

I would certainly never try to diminish anyone else's Star Wars cred. Gatekeepers are rear end in a top hat losers. I'm the nice kind of loser.

Also, if you read The Crystal Star, I completely understand why you stopped for 25 years. Terrible book.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 27, 2022

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I just watched the first Blade movie for the first time, and would really like to hear what the WHM boys think about it. It’s pretty good, but has a lot of odd little touches that it would be interesting to hear their takes on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tac Dibar posted:

I just watched the first Blade movie for the first time, and would really like to hear what the WHM boys think about it. It’s pretty good, but has a lot of odd little touches that it would be interesting to hear their takes on.

I could see it being the WLM of the month whenever the new Blade is released.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I haven't seen Blade in a long time but I recall really loving it when I watched it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't seen Blade in a long time but I recall really loving it when I watched it

The opening scene is beyond reproach. After that, it's been so long that I really can't remember if it's any better than, "Pretty drat good." Which is better than most MCU movies, I guess.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's incredibly good and I feel like they'd need Angelica on for it because on a rewatch last year I basically came away going "this might be the blackest superhero film period". I forgot how much the film leans in on him being hunted on all sides both because the vamps want him dead and the police go BIG BLACK DUDE KILL IT when a vampire is murdering a lady right next to him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Blade rules and I really need to rewatch it. It's been a few years since I've seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-5pEx_MWwg

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I was the Eternals episode years old when I learned that Blade was a marvel property. That diminishes it somewhat for me. Also that Eternals movie sounds tedious as gently caress and even the comedy podcast about it was boring.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arson Daily posted:

Also that Eternals movie sounds tedious as gently caress and even the comedy podcast about it was boring.
I watched it Monday night. Can confirm.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arson Daily posted:

I was the Eternals episode years old when I learned that Blade was a marvel property. That diminishes it somewhat for me. Also that Eternals movie sounds tedious as gently caress and even the comedy podcast about it was boring.

Blade showed up in the 90's X-Men cartoon show every once in a while, so I knew he was Marvel from way back when. And it was "big news" a little while back that Mahershala Ali wanted to use his Oscar cred to make a Blade movie. Like, he apparently contacted Marvel and was like, "Blade, book it." I'm hoping his enthusiasm for the character will help make for a decent movie, but it has a lot working against it.

Also, yeah, Eternals is an awful movie. Easily the worst of the MCU. Thor 2 was boring. Iron Man 2 was aimless. Eternals is just bad. It seems to be a moment where the movie going audience is starting to wonder if Marvel is going to keep being for them. But I'm sure they'll course correct and get back to making movies most people love again.

I like, but don't love, almost all of the MCU movies (and even love a few of them). But there's just nothing to Eternals. 2.5 hours of exposition until they finally close their eyes, point, and say, "Uh, he's the bad guy."

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

But Eros and Pip was lit AF

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Tac Dibar posted:

The League of Extraordinary Gentleman episode was a trojan horse to do an intervention with Cabin about his crippling addiction to Blade. They like it, but I agree a full WLM would be cool.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
There is a scene in blade where he slaps around a cop in broad daylight on a crowded city street and I can't even imagine the hilarious outcry if they included a scene like that in the new one. Blade rules

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

I was the Eternals episode years old when I learned that Blade was a marvel property. That diminishes it somewhat for me.

It really shouldn't though. Blade preceded X-Men, Spiderman and was decades before the MCU and the Marvel "house style" or whatever it is that might be turning you off (edit: movie wise). Even if you don't know it comes from a comic book, it holds up 100% as just a standalone movie. It's a "marvel property" in the same way that "Road to Perdition" is a comic book/graphic novel or "Stand By Me" and Shawshank Redemption are Stephen King stories in the sense that it really doesn't matter and it's loving great.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 28, 2022

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

thrawn527 posted:

Blade showed up in the 90's X-Men cartoon show every once in a while, so I knew he was Marvel from way back when. And it was "big news" a little while back that Mahershala Ali wanted to use his Oscar cred to make a Blade movie. Like, he apparently contacted Marvel and was like, "Blade, book it." I'm hoping his enthusiasm for the character will help make for a decent movie, but it has a lot working against it.

You're thinking if the Spider-Man animated series, where Blade would show to take on Morbius every so often. I always thought he was lame as a kid and when the movie rolled around I was blown away by how badass he was. Back in high school my shop teacher couldn't give a gently caress less about his job and let us watch a bootleg copy of Blade during class instead of teaching us.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

JT Smiley posted:

You're thinking if the Spider-Man animated series, where Blade would show to take on Morbius every so often. I always thought he was lame as a kid and when the movie rolled around I was blown away by how badass he was. Back in high school my shop teacher couldn't give a gently caress less about his job and let us watch a bootleg copy of Blade during class instead of teaching us.

poo poo, you're right. I'm always mixing those two up.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

It really shouldn't though. Blade preceded X-Men, Spiderman and was decades before the MCU and the Marvel "house style" or whatever it is that might be turning you off (edit: movie wise). Even if you don't know it comes from a comic book, it holds up 100% as just a standalone movie. It's a "marvel property" in the same way that "Road to Perdition" is a comic book/graphic novel or "Stand By Me" and Shawshank Redemption are Stephen King stories in the sense that it really doesn't matter and it's loving great.

I know I'm just loving around a little. I love blade and it absolutely doesn't fit the "superhero" stereotype. It's just badass Wesley Snipes stabbing motherfuckers that are always trying to ice skate uphill. Blade 2 got me a noise complaint from my neighbors for the club scene and my subwoofer turned up really high.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

The only thing I remember about Blade in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon is how he throws a gas bomb at Spidey, he starts choking and we get the cliffhanger music and cut to commercial. When we come back Spidey suddenly sniffs and yells "GARLIC? You just bombed me with GARLIC? What are you, some kind of a NUT?" and Blade just goes "...you're not a vampire?" Funniest poo poo ever for 10 year old Ace.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

A Marvel property originally produced and released by New Line, which at that time was wholly under control of Time Warner.

This basically means that for a couple years there, the most successful Marvel movie was made by a studio that shared a parent company with DC.

Then X-Men came out and that was no longer true, but there’s still something funny about “the company that owns DC made the Marvel movie that finally let Marvel say something other than Howard The Duck is their most successful cinematic endeavor.”

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Cameo posted:

A Marvel property originally produced and released by New Line, which at that time was wholly under control of Time Warner.

This basically means that for a couple years there, the most successful Marvel movie was made by a studio that shared a parent company with DC.

Then X-Men came out and that was no longer true, but there’s still something funny about “the company that owns DC made the Marvel movie that finally let Marvel say something other than Howard The Duck is their most successful cinematic endeavor.”

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's amazing just how many lovely Marvel movies there were before Blade.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
If we were living in a proper society, we'd be debating Matt Salinger and Big McLargehuge's portrayals of Cap in the way we do with Bond actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p11I6ZZYcbM

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
What’s the deadline for listener requests? I’m tempted to call in “Tiptoes” but I suspect they’re not comfortable to talk about a movie with such abhorrent representation of little people, but otherwise I’m thinking “Milk Money” or “Blank Check” for that awful 90’s kid movie stuff.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

What’s the deadline for listener requests? I’m tempted to call in “Tiptoes” but I suspect they’re not comfortable to talk about a movie with such abhorrent representation of little people, but otherwise I’m thinking “Milk Money” or “Blank Check” for that awful 90’s kid movie stuff.

Milk Money is horrendous - call it in.

I need to get over my anxiety stutters and do the same

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm the fake ears. Because cutting 2 holes in the mask wasn't in the budget.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Update

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm the fake ears. Because cutting 2 holes in the mask wasn't in the budget.

Look at that mask. The idea of sticking my ears through that material is giving me anxiety.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Blade showing up in the spider-man cartoon ruled because they wouldn’t let him use a real sword so he had a lightsaber instead.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Rageaholic posted:

Blade rules and I really need to rewatch it. It's been a few years since I've seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-5pEx_MWwg

Sorry this is the best line delivery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64y4ow5y_8

Though I have to admit, it destroys my suspension of disbelief to show an ambulance leaving a hospital

Anyway, I watched Shang-Chi and couldn't tell you the plot, but I remember the fight scenes.
I watched Eternals and all I remember is chuckling slightly at Kingo saying "dishoom" as he threw space hadokens, and howling at the stupidity of naming him "Kingo"

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 29, 2022

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Pops Mgee posted:

Blade showing up in the spider-man cartoon ruled because they wouldn’t let him use a real sword so he had a lightsaber instead.

I refuse to believe the show that wouldn't let Spider-Man throw a punch or land near pigeons actually let him use that thing. I just remember him waving it around a lot.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

thrawn527 posted:

I kid, because years ago I ran a thread here on SA where we read through terrible Star Wars books and made fun of them. I started the thread off by reading the truly awful "Jedi Prince" books, featuring both Ken and Trioculous, two characters most Star Wars fans have (rightfully) tried to forget existed, but were a hell of a lot of fun to make fun of in the thread. Needless to say, I lost my poo poo when they were the focus of their own Gleep Glossary episodes.

I would certainly never try to diminish anyone else's Star Wars cred. Gatekeepers are rear end in a top hat losers. I'm the nice kind of loser.

Also, if you read The Crystal Star, I completely understand why you stopped for 25 years. Terrible book.

I loved that thread, god that brings up some memories. I read so, so many EU books in the 90s/early 00s and still embarrassingly have Opinions on Disney nuking it all for Eps 7-9. I did a small scream when I saw the prominent thanks to Kevin J. Anderson in the Dune credits. Kevin J. loving Anderson?!? Seriously? Mr Jedi Academy Trilogy, that KJA? My husband was completely puzzled by my violent reaction. (Side note: I should really get into the Gleep Glossary, shouldn't I?)

Anyway: watched Eternals last night to prep for the episode on it, god drat that was a dreadful film! Knew it would be bad when the opening scroll came up, so I have high expectations for the lads.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Side note: I should really get into the Gleep Glossary, shouldn't I?

When it comes to a WHM podcast, if you have to ask the answer is yes.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Gleep Glossary is honestly the one thing that keeps me on the higher tier nowadays. That and the Lifetime show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Deadly Mile High Club is an all time great episode and anyone who hasn't heard it needs to fix that immediately.