Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks that Tom Arnold was genuinely good in Big Bully. This and True Lies are probably the only good movies he was ever in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

B-Rock452 posted:

Blown Away is going to be a great episode, if you haven't seen it just go watch it now.

This is one of those movies they've brought up so many times that I thought they already did it.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks that Tom Arnold was genuinely good in Big Bully. This and True Lies are probably the only good movies he was ever in.

He was also great on his short-lived 90s sitcom The Jackie Thomas Show.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So what movies did you guys call in and request?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zapruder Film

Henker
May 5, 2009

Called in Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. I actually enjoy this movie a lot, but it's also incredibly stupid so it's good riff material. I think they'll also appreciate the big troll monster who's an actual puppet and not CGI.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

explosivo posted:

Zapruder Film

See? Now, this goon is thinking.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I went with Oliver and Company for WHM and tried again for Night of the Hunter for WLM.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I don’t know if they’ll honor my request of “Any white guy karate movie”

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Is there a code or anything from the Patreon to send the Patreon requests, or are they just open to everyone?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I’m requesting one of the Hey Arnold episodes with Jim Belushi for AD and Wish Upon for whm.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Well phone number won’t work for me, so I’ll just hope ya’ll know what you’re doing.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Well phone number won’t work for me, so I’ll just hope ya’ll know what you’re doing.

You calling from a Swedish number? I’m wondering if 3 isn’t playing nice

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

teen witch posted:

You calling from a Swedish number? I’m wondering if 3 isn’t playing nice

Yes and I’ve got Telia, dunno what’s it about, I’ve called them previous years.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

If you want to write up your request and PM me with what to say I'll call it in for you

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Same! Past years was super easy.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

BiggerBoat posted:

So what movies did you guys call in and request?

'100 Girls' for WHM, and 'Ravenous' (the Antonia Bird film) for WLM. It's one of my favorite movies, it rarely gets talked about, and I know Chris and Eric are fans, so my fingers are crossed.

For Nexus, I went with the WWE crossover episode from season 6 of voyager.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Leatherhead posted:

For Nexus, I went with the WWE crossover episode from season 6 of voyager.

I feel like ive seen waaaaaaaay too much voyager and I have no recollection of this. What season/episode is this?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arson Daily posted:

I feel like ive seen waaaaaaaay too much voyager and I have no recollection of this. What season/episode is this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunkatse

Seven of Nine gets Rock Bottomed.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I sent in Roadhouse and Starship Troopers for wlm and A Night in Sickbay and Acquisition for The Nexus. They've dodged Enterprise for far too long. Also Darth Maul's big yellow brother Savage Opress for gleepglossary.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Okay, I'm not crazy, right? They have used the term "the hammer" to refer to the actor who gets the AND in the billing multiple times in the past? Because Jupin's confusion at that in the Big Bully episode has me questioning myself.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I can’t remember it popping up in WHM but it is definitely used on either the Blank Check main feed or patreon commentaries.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I do not recall that term ever being used

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Steve has definitely used it before.

I called in Tiptoes again.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

for yet another year I forgot to request Skippy the Jedi Droid for the Gleep Glossary

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Me too but the guy running through cloud city with an ice cream maker who is force sensitive somehow

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm probably behind in my WHM lore because I don't get what "I've got it by the way" means. Something about sequels that are good/better than the original? What episode is it from?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Forktoss posted:

I'm probably behind in my WHM lore because I don't get what "I've got it by the way" means. Something about sequels that are good/better than the original? What episode is it from?

Scream 2. Its from a scene in that movie where one of the characters is in a film class discussing how no sequels are better than the original and he busts out a super smug 'Godfather part 2'

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SO I guess my WHM/YT algorithms eventually decided that I need to learn who Neil Breen is and holy poo poo. As a bad movie watcher, I can't believe I never heard of this guy. There's even a thread on him!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892972&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=neil,breen&pagenumber=1

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 5, 2022

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone should know who Neil Breen is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zore posted:

Scream 2. Its from a scene in that movie where one of the characters is in a film class discussing how no sequels are better than the original and he busts out a super smug 'Godfather part 2'

The scene super sucks, because Aliens and T2 are both written off as one guy having a “hard on for Cameron”, but they’re both worthy of being talked about. And yeah, the sheer smugness of, “I’ve got it, by the way…” will always be funny, to me.

Also, I never took any film study classes in college, but I imagine they weren’t just sitting around arguing about what sequels are the best. Or I’m wrong, and I should have taken some of those classes.

Scream really should have been a “one and done” movie. Then we could have been saved from the Jay and Silent Bob cameo in part 3.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I myself have no idea where "THEY FOUND SEMEN IN 'ER, JACK" is from

thrawn527 posted:

Also, I never took any film study classes in college, but I imagine they weren’t just sitting around arguing about what sequels are the best. Or I’m wrong, and I should have taken some of those classes.

I took one, granted it was community college level, but we spent more time watching movies with the occasional pause and discussion from the instructor than anything

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I myself have no idea where "THEY FOUND SEMEN IN 'ER, JACK" is from

It's from a movie that I can't recall the name of starring Cary Elwes and Alicia Silverstone(?)

They first reference it in the A Letter From Death Row episode. Might be the only episode where they reference it; can't recall

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Everyone should know who Neil Breen is.

Seconded. Not sure how he flew under my radar.

He's like some strange combination of the guys who made Birdemic and Billy Jack.

E:

Maybe with some Steven Seagal books thrown in.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 5, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry_Ed posted:

It's from a movie that I can't recall the name of starring Cary Elwes and Alicia Silverstone(?)

They first reference it in the A Letter From Death Row episode. Might be the only episode where they reference it; can't recall

For years I've been thinking that it was from a Law and Order: SVU episode.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

For years I've been thinking that it was from a Law and Order: SVU episode.

*pointing at basketball* THEY FOUND A MONKEY IN 'ER, CRAGEN!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

When are the listener requests revealed?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

The scene super sucks, because Aliens and T2 are both written off as one guy having a “hard on for Cameron”, but they’re both worthy of being talked about. And yeah, the sheer smugness of, “I’ve got it, by the way…” will always be funny, to me.

It’s a time not too far removed from the point when PT Anderson went to film school and on the first day a professor told the class if they wanted to make some crap like Terminator 2 they were in the wrong class. To which Anderson could only think “but T2 is a good movie? Why wouldn’t I want to learn how to do that?” Today, Cameron would be brought up as a great populist filmmaker, but up to Titanic, he didn’t have the “so I made the highest grossing movie of all time by a long shot and then did it again to knock my previous movie off that top spot” thing so he was viewed as a low brow action guy who had made one attempt to step outside his comfort zone and had it be met with a shrug (The Abyss).

It’s also a perfect time capsule of a moment because nine days after Scream 2 came out (Dec 10, 1997), Titanic arrived. Scream 2 had a bigger opening weekend ($32m to $27m), but, well, we know where things went from there for the boat film. So Scream 2 is like the last possible movie that could drop that sort of talk in and not have it be a horribly outdated reference for the opening weekend audience.

I’m gonna venture a guess and say that Williamson probably heard similar sort of talk when he was in college and took some film classes and just threaded those memories into the scenes for the movie. He started college in 1990, so if he took like a second or third year screenwriting course or something T2 would have been the freshest thing in people’s memory.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

When are the listener requests revealed?

Probably close to the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Cameo posted:

It’s a time not too far removed from the point when PT Anderson went to film school and on the first day a professor told the class if they wanted to make some crap like Terminator 2 they were in the wrong class. To which Anderson could only think “but T2 is a good movie? Why wouldn’t I want to learn how to do that?” Today, Cameron would be brought up as a great populist filmmaker, but up to Titanic, he didn’t have the “so I made the highest grossing movie of all time by a long shot and then did it again to knock my previous movie off that top spot” thing so he was viewed as a low brow action guy who had made one attempt to step outside his comfort zone and had it be met with a shrug (The Abyss).

It’s also a perfect time capsule of a moment because nine days after Scream 2 came out (Dec 10, 1997), Titanic arrived. Scream 2 had a bigger opening weekend ($32m to $27m), but, well, we know where things went from there for the boat film. So Scream 2 is like the last possible movie that could drop that sort of talk in and not have it be a horribly outdated reference for the opening weekend audience.

I’m gonna venture a guess and say that Williamson probably heard similar sort of talk when he was in college and took some film classes and just threaded those memories into the scenes for the movie. He started college in 1990, so if he took like a second or third year screenwriting course or something T2 would have been the freshest thing in people’s memory.

This is a good post. Thanks!