Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

And fair call too, that movie is literally insufferable, in that no human is actually capable of surviving that much suffering.

It's a staggering achievement of ineptitude that still pulled in a decent bundle at the box office. It boggles my mind that anyone could have been convinced to go and see this thing, much less $43.4 million dollars worth of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Wilford Brimley's offense at John Woo daring to ask if he knows how to ride a horse, followed by Wilford Brimley tearing out his stunt double's throat, culminating in Wilford Brimley's horse in Hard Target retiring to the bottom of Wilford Brimley's pot.

Cajun Wilford Brimley is all you need from Hard Target, really.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Also, advertising things that aren't egregiously horrible helps. Shaving supplies are less bad than DraftKings by a wide margin.

I can't help but imagine Andrew finishing the copy, flicking the mic off, turning to an old timey spitoon and just huckin' one or two after having to jaw about DraftKings or Uber.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

When I was a kid I loved watching all those movie special effects shows on the Discovery Channel and one did an entire episode on Dungeons and Dragons. The people working on that movie were so proud of that quicksand floor effect, it got an entire segment dedicated to it.

It really was oatmeal painted to look like floor.

You start to gain a real appreciation for people doing guerilla special effects with only a couple of dimes to rub together. Early Star Trek: The Next Generation used a lot of stuff like that, with the two most memorable ones I can recall being oatmeal under a heat lamp to simulate the surface of a sun, and a camcorder-recorded panning shot of a rock one of the special effects guys had in his backyard to create the texture of a moon.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I would love to listen to a recording of the guys playing D&D for the first time.

I'll second that. I think it'd be a hilarious side episode (considering just how arcane and straight-up weird D&D likely is to an outsider).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Door Opening Noise (Frank Welker)
Ghost Moans & Ghost Throwing Some Pots And Pans Around Noise (Frank Welker)
Upset Dog (Frank Welker)
Craig T. Nelson (Frank Welker)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I was cracking up as soon as Eric revealed that he'd been more-or-less writing his script for the episode for the past 7 or 8 years.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The last time I had takeout pizza, I had to request "no sauce" (I've got an uncomfortable bowel-splitting allergy to garlic/onions) and the cook looked at me like I'd just shot his dog.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Try just asking for breadsticks next time cause that's what it is.

The local place only serves garlic bread. :smith:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The amount of fury they've generated over deliberately over-the-top comedic riffing is still kind of astounding. I love both Mothman Prophecies and Mystery Men and I don't have so much as a draft prepared to send in.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The original Mega Man X had about as much story as the later NES Mega Man games, so I think it's just a case of, "I haven't played this poo poo in 10 years and forgot everything about it," which is fine. It's only past about X3 or X4 where the game starts turning into a stonefaced anime saga.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

"Turbo Hyper Fighting" is such a good title.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm continually amazed by the number of absolute chowderheads that exist in this world.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Speaking of chowderheads, wonder what kicked this off.

The aforementioned chowderhead posted a tweet threatening to call Eric's boss and tell him he was gay, which he almost immediately deleted.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Crocobile posted:

A bit more on-topic; I wonder if the Patreon for WHM will do away with the ads (which haven't really bothered me personally, but ymmv) or if listener request will turn into a Patreon/donation thing?

To be honest, I'm not bothered by the current run of ads. It's when they have to start shilling for Uber or whatever that scuzzy-rear end fantasy sports website was that I start scrolling ahead, looking for the theme music.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A Meat posted:

I've gotten years of enjoyment out of the the podcast, so I'm giving them eight bucks this month, and if I find myself not enjoying the Star Trek podcast or the commentaries, I can always bump it down to three bucks.

Seems totally reasonable to me, these guys deserve some food on their (Mama Celeste gray) plates

Agreed. I've received something like 250+ hours of completely free entertainment from these dudes, so I'm happy to pitch $8 their way for a few months, at the least.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 29, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eric's "she's down on her luck" line just about had me doubled over. They weren't kidding about going blue.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheDon01 posted:

However I really don't like how in the newer episodes it takes FOREVER to get to the actual meat of the podcasts. They got that long rear end intro song, then they plug an upcoming gig or special. I get why they do it, but it's like 6 or 7 minutes of intro the last few episodes.

What's your guys favorite episodes? The Ms Doubtfire episode is what got me hooked, and the rerun of silver bullet reminded me of one of my favorite lines

"Cripple this, cripple that, up on cripple creek"

If I had a gun to my head and couldn't fast forward to the intro music, I'd be grumpy about it, but it's trivial to skip ahead regardless of what platform you're using to listen to it.

Favorite episode now is probably Seventh Son, if only for the constant goofy exclamations of, "He built it outta scraps! In a cave!"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

well why not posted:

I like to imagine that Cabin was revived in some sort of hip NY beer cafe lazarus pit.

It's that scene from Hellboy where they revive Rasputin but with a whole bunch of Banquet Beer being poured into the snaking pattern.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If you're still on the fence about supporting them at the $8 level, episode 2 of The Nexus is one of the funniest episodes of anything they've ever produced.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I want to say L.G. Yahoo is the gang's funniest fake character invention next to Marvin Cinemax III.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

duz posted:

Oh boy, what a bonus at the end of today's episode of The Nexus.

I hope they bring it back as a sometimes feature. It'd probably get real old if it was on every episode, but if they find a real gem once every 3-4 months, then lay it on me.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Butterfly Effect might be my favorite episode. The best part of the episode has to be when the point out how absurd it is to expect audience to believe an entire college hallway is gonna burst out laughing at a armless and legless man falling out of a wheelchair.

It helps that the film is so laughably puerile. I know they're probably playing it up for laughs a little, but that loving stick of old timey cartoon dynamite doesn't belong in a film released in the 2000s.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy I have a father!

Boy oh boy, incoming nerd admission: the thing that genuinely bothered me the most about that fic is how completely out of character Data was. He'd never say that, you loving author!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

How did not a single one of them mention Galaxy Quest in their Tim Allen vs. Larry matchup?

I've never really thought of Galaxy Quest as a "Tim Allen" movie, if that makes any sense. It's easy to forget he's in it because he's starring alongside a suite of incredible actors given a hilarious script that they run with wholeheartedly. It's not like, say, the modern Wicker Man, where the only reason I'm ever going to watch it (or, really, even remember that it exists) is because Nicolas Cage is in it being Nicolas Cage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

does will smith have some kind of scam going where he has to star in at least one insipid, lovely movie a year

He's been on a downward spiral ever since After Earth. I believe someone posted an AV Club article discussing it, but he went from being Hollywood's most bankable star to just a dude appearing in bad movies. It's hard to overstate how badly After Earth (and the various public antics of his two idiot children) cut the throat of his career.

Gonz posted:

How else is he going to purge his Thetans and achieve OT Level VIII?

If the interviews with Jaden Smith are any indication, Will's into far more traditional wackadoodle nonsense like pranic energy.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 3, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yo, Eric, I have a ton of RPGs you guys would love that I could run for you over Skype or whatever. Call me!

I know a guy in New York who's a bigtime D&D fan (and, more importantly, bathes and doesn't sound obnoxious) if they ever needed someone to DM.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm not sure I like your implication, sir. <:mad:>

Haha, oh god, I'm sorry - I sincerely didn't mean to rib at you there specifically. :pwn:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

well why not posted:

count me in for the new ad format being better. i actually suggested a music cue earlier in the thread, so i'm pumped to see it happen.

Completely agreed. It flowed so much better and felt far less forced in.

Count Chocula posted:

When they made the Captain Planet joke I remembered that Katanna was in Geoforce, an even shittier version of The Outsiders.

I kept thinking they were talking about Kitana and was sorely disappointed that we didn't get any weird Mortal Kombat impersonations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly, I think Suicide Squad was pretty much doomed as a movie from the get-go because the original concept kind of relied on the fact that the characters had ties to the larger DCU, and as such didn't have to spend as much time setting up who Deadshot or Boomer or whoever were than in a movie where everyone is a "new" character. Plus with a monthly comic you have more time to set up everyone's personalities and establish relationships.

The whole thing would probably have worked better as a streaming show than as a standalone film.

You can still make it work, but it requires a skilled writer to strip people down to the bare minimum. If you were going with, say, Deadshot from the comics, here's the things the audience needs to know:
  • He wants to die gloriously in battle.
  • He takes unnecessary risks that endanger the team because he wants to die gloriously in battle.
That's it. You can get that done with a couple lines of dialogue and an action scene where Deadshot takes some unnecessary risk that endangers everyone and then gets a stern talking to after or whatever. From there, you can spin any kind of plot you want: maybe he learns that living and fighting is better than dying; maybe he learns the value of teamwork; maybe he doesn't give a rip and goes down in a blaze of glory.

The issue with Suicide Squad is that it's trying to follow the source material too closely and thus feels it has to agonizingly describe every aspect of each character's backstory. Comics are able to do this because of the medium (and their serialized nature). If you're turning it into a movie, you need to boil everyone down to some kind of central desire and how they interact with the rest of the team on their way to getting that desire. I genuinely don't need to know how Harley Quinn became Harley Quinn. Gimme a line like, "I used to be a psychiatrist, until I discovered being crazy was more fun!" or some horseshit, have a few moments of tense interaction that clue us in to what kind of relationship Joker/Quinn are in, and that's all that's necessary.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'll go to bat for Mystery Men any ol' day of the week, but I'm fully understanding of it not being everyone's cup of tea.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing I always loved about it was how the game was set up as the first part of a trilogy that never happened because the game sold terribly. Oh, and every time you died there was an unskippable 25 second cutscene.

You're missing the part where noted idiot Denis Dyack put up a fraudulent lawsuit against Epic Games over the Unreal Engine, got countersued, lost, and was ordered to recall and destroy every single copy of Too Human.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

davidHalestorm posted:

Any of you going to take up Andrew's challenge and recommend him some animes on twitter?

I don't have a Twitter due to being a boring sack of poo poo, but someone should recommend him the first season of Psycho-Pass. It's some legit good sci-fi in the style of Minority Report and features a gun that makes people explode, which seems like a very Andrew Jupin thing to like. Just don't watch the second season, whatever you do.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He has no idea what he's gotten himself into by asking the internet to recommend him anime

For every good recommendation there's going to be three well-meaning but deeply silly people telling him to watch Elven Piss Psychics

It's probably a scathing indictment of my watching habits that I had to sit down and think really hard about what good anime there is out there without anime overreacting (since I know it'd turn Andrew right off it) and all I could think up was Psycho-Pass, Jin-Roh, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and while I love LoGH, it would probably send Andrew right the gently caress to sleep.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Violator posted:

I noticed Bee Movie was high on the trending list on Netflix a few nights ago. Do the boys have that kind of power? Or is it a comedy fad at the moment?

Bee Movie's been a comedy fad for a while because of how flat-out loving bizarre the whole vehicle is.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

L.G. Yahoo, yeah. It's from the Fantastic Four episode if you're interested in re-listening.

Actually, speaking of "what episode was that again": What episode was that again where Andrew's playing the part of a stepdad trying to bond with his stepson and doing terribly at it? I mostly just remember him saying, "Hey, Devin!" a lot and a joke about going to get cigarettes.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 4, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alright, help me decide between DS9 episodes to request: the baseball episode, The Trouble with Tribbles, or the one where Quark crossdresses for some reason that I can't remember? I kinda want to hear their Quark impression more, but the baseball one's a favorite as far as weird episode concepts goes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

duz posted:

We don't have to punish them.

I'm mostly just trying to be a hipster and avoid clubbing my head against all of Voyager's low-hanging fruit. I mean, they have to do the ep where Janeway and Tom turn into salamanders and gently caress eventually, but I imagine at least 30 other people are gonna send that one in.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Are they planning on covering DS9 and Voyager when they're done with TOS and Next Gen five years from now?

They're having a special Listener Request Month for The Nexus where you can send in a DS9/Voyager episode for them to go through.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

What's the episode where Harry Kim gets replaced with a quantum duplicate and everyone decides to never mention it again. That might be a good Threshold alternative.

I feel like all of my memories of Voyager are just "a stupid thing happened" completely devoid of context, like "Neelix and Tuvok got merged into a grotesque horror beast." I can't honestly remember a single enjoyable episode from the show's catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Count Chocula posted:

I dunno, I hate it when bad movie podcast hosts think Last Airbender is an accurate representation of the awesome Avatar cartoon.

Honestly, their lack of knowledge about Avatar is of benefit here, because instead of wincing in embarrassment over how bad the bending looks compared to the show they can laugh at how loving goofy it all looks.