Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

But it is a Gul Dukat episode.

It's definitely one of the weirder DS9 episodes. Like, I get that Gul Dukat's an egomaniac who dreams himself a Machiavellian schemer, but turning the entire station into a Cube-style deathtrap with a holographic version of him taunting everyone's a bit of a stretch for the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't get the love for Equilibrium. It's like a first year creative writing student got to make a movie. It's garbage.

It's a hilarious pastiche of every dystopian sci-fi novel/film you've ever seen with an aesthetic that screams, "The Matrix came out only three years ago!" (Watch that clip above and listen to how hard Christian Bale is trying to channel Keanu.) It's humorously overwrought, but it's competently edited and has a unique enough (if downright laughable) action sequence conceit with its Gun-Kata to keep you interested.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gyges posted:

I haven't watched it in forever, but doesn't Equilibrium also have pretty decent costuming and design as well?

It's pretty bland, nondescript costuming/design, which I suppose is fine for a dystopian future hell, but it doesn't spark the imagination much. The only two things that really stand out are the cornball premise and the Gun Kata (which is well choreographed).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

God, I forgot about those loving wrist reloaders. That's straight Bollywood.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

At this point we need a warning for when an episode features an Alex Jones impression because oh boy that got so old already

As a counterpoint, they've got some spot-on Bernie impressions, holy poo poo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Season 1's a bit rocky in places because it's hopping on one foot between the goofy problem-of-the-week K-12 show Nickelodeon was angling for and the more mature show that the writing team was slowly weaving in. I also suspect that part of it was that they didn't realize what a good character they had on their hands in the form of Zuko at the start: he's mostly just a bumbling oaf throughout Season 1, compared to Season 2 where he's practically stealing the show.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shyamalan could at least have done the audience the courtesy of hiring a loving martial artist to do the choreography in a martial arts film. This ain't rocket science, Mr. Night!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

But you have the Harry Potters which they took there time with and they got the investment back. The Last Airbender franchise was alive from 2005 to 2014, so its not like it was just a flash in the pan.

Moreover, it's not like it's impossible to make a film based on an existing property from the past that was well-liked and have it be successful. Hell, a good portion of Hollywood these days is based on doing exactly that. "Hubris" is my go-to explanation for the movie falling apart so spectacularly, but it really does boggle the mind when you have a director making what is clearly a martial arts film without a single recognizable martial art in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ultraviolet is one of those rare films that is well and truly terrible. Nukie has enough bizarre moments that it's a watchable "seeing is believing" film; Equilibrium has a laughably dumb conceit that's forgivable because of all of the cool gunplay; and even poo poo like the Resident Evil films are competent enough that, if you're just jonesing for some sci-fi action, you can watch them without feeling like you've completely wasted your time.

Ultraviolet has none of that. It's aggressively boring, the choreography sucks, the color palette feels like it was chosen via the ol' "chimp throwing darts at a dartboard" method, and it all-in-all feels like someone lazily cobbling together a film by taking the weakest aspects of other, better films and stitching them together.