Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only thing I didn't like about Rey was that she spent 90% of the movie not knowing what she wanted while Fynn and Poe had very clear motivations and goals. Compared to the rest of the cast, she was the least compelling character in the movie, which is really unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The movie had problems but Rey wasn't one of them. As far as I'm concerned all women had was Princess Leia and aside from a handful of moments, she wasn't as pro-active as Han or Luke in accomplishing things, so it's nice to have a woman be an equalizing presence. The only argument I could understand was the whole jedi mind trick scene but then again, prodigies are an actual thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

I don't know why people act like you need to have some sort of specialized training to utilize a lightsaber, if you can swing a stick around competently you can hit people with a laser sword.

You have to level up and put specialization points into lightsaber in order to use it. Then you have to travel to the nearest jedi temple and pay credits to learn the default stance from the trainer.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wait, you're telling me that Shang Tsung didn't help us against Ho Chi Minh?

Everything in The Substitute episode was a lie!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Produced and/or Directed by Michael Bay

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Re: Belts making for the chosen one in D&D

Ah, I see that's the inspiration for the Final Fantasy character designer for the past decade and a half.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's with these comedians taking the turn for the radical crazy territory as they grow older?

Even Carlin got kind of mean towards the end, but he never dipped into the radical right like others have. He was just fed up with the establishment being hardcore corporate cronies and, well, everything really.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That clips reminds me of how much I like Kevin Smith's QAs. He's really funny in quite a few of them. I like his Fatman on Batman podcast too. A shame his work on those are better than his recent directing jobs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

Kevin Smith was funnier when everyone just thought he smoked a lot of weed as opposed to since he actually started smoking.

He's still pretty funny but I think his actual film work got worse as he started smoking weed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They certainly make divisive movies. A lot of people hate Speed Racer but, for me, it gets better each time I watch it. I absolutely adore that film.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have a soft spot for those Earnest movies. They're silly and dumb but that character is so endearing to me. Camp, Halloween, Christmas and Rides Again are my favorite of the bunch. Prison is alright, though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Einstein, the ugly success and Earnest, the beautiful failure. I bet that weird Disney brain show isn't even there any more. That was a cute little thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ernest basically was a local ad superstar. Local dealerships, regional ads - poo poo like that. Verne was the neighbor he was selling the products too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Violator posted:

HOLY poo poo! Surviving the Game is next week! Gary Busey delivers one of the most amazing monologues I've ever seen in that movie. That one scene has always made me wish Tarantino had a small part for him in one of his movies because with the right material he can hit it out of the park.

Is that the one where he talks about how his dad got him a dog, got to loved the dog then had to kill the dog with nothing but a knife?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, Suicide Squad. What a mess of a movie that was. I really like Batman V Superman, especially the Ultimate Cut so I'm the odd man out in most discussions on DC films, but Suicide Squad just didn't do it for me at all. That very first trailer they put out before trying to chase after Marvel made it look like a really great, somber flick about these anti-heroes and villains but what they put out was just... that. It just reeked of studio meddling.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A man from the House of El written by a couple Jewish kids in the 30's has religious undertones?! What in the flying heck!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Yeah but you can't be Jesus, Ayn Rand, and Osama bin Laden at the same time. That is just absurd.

That's just the world's fault for assigning those comparisons to him. For the movie's story, he's more along the lines of Jesus for how he effects the world, and Bruce, by the end. It's definitely a film that anti-fascist. Might doesn't make right in that film and the person who sees the world that way is depicted as an pretty unhinged. It's part of the reason why I like it so much.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Anyway everybody knows the best superhero movie was Darkman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdeAhpIPhE

Holy gently caress, I forgotten how insane and great that movie was. That whole sequence is peak Sam Raimi.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arnold Vosloo was a pretty good Darkman, to be fair. I have a soft spot for the sequel. Never saw the third one, though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I loved Batman v Superman (doubly so the Ultimate Cut) but that episode did make me laugh. But I can understand if someone didn't care for it. A lot of critics, while do bring up some points that have merit and can be discussed, often had brain farts when it comes to critical interpretation. One, at the time, that I vividly remember is that critics complained they didn't know Lex Luthor's motivation despite him having a monologue about it for 5 minutes. But it was also in the parts of that review that boiled down to "Not my Lex Luthor" and other weird DC fanboy stuff.

So when a group of internet funnymans have some fun with it, it could rub people the wrong way.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lemon posted:

I'd really like them to do an episode on Revolver. There's just so much bullshit in that film.

That's just your ego talking. Learn to let it go and two people with the biggest ego around will carry you off to paradise (with your own money they stole).

Or something. That movie was hard to follow.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Characters in Batman v Superman have actual arcs and the film feels like a continuation of Man of Steel (and hopefully the lead in from Batman v Superman in Justice League is just as good). Suicide Squad should have cut half the cast, focused on a few of them and have them be anti-heroes doing dirty business rather than save the world poo poo that's totally inappropriate for their characters.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's easy to trace a path of Suicide Squad being a more sober film to its release. Just watch the first trailer from the last trailer, the arc is clear as crystal. Batman v Superman at least has a vision, one that radically changes between the two cuts of the film, but it worked for me and it's an easy movie to look in-depth at because of the visuals alone. Suicide Squad just doesn't have that. The only interesting character who has any sort of growth is killed at the end and there really isn't much to grab on to because all the characters just aren't that interesting. I mean, I guess you can talk at length of how terrible the depiction of the Harley/Joker relationship is in the movie and how wrong it is, but that's about it. The comic book movie megathread is a good place to chat about all the films because you'll get some interesting discourse.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I have to watch that Jim Carrey "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" every year when I go home for the holidays. It's a loving massacre of a classic cartoon, made worse because I can't bitch about how bad it is since it's a family tradition now.

If only it were "Elf" :(

They also like the Ryan Reynolds in a fat suit Christmas comedy "Just Friends," but that's not every year and isn't as dire.

That one is the worst because the Grinch was supposed to just be a curmudgeon who grows a heart by the end instead they made him a tragic creature who had every right to be pissed off at the Whos, all of which were racist assholes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, I remember being so disappointed with Ultraviolet. I adore Equilibrium so going from that to whatever Ultraviolet was supposed to be was jarring. I will admit the fire sword fight at the end was pretty rad.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's so great. It's an action shlock b-movie and I love it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy gently caress, those comments. What a bunch of sad, sad people.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

300 worked for me in the same way Starship Troopers did.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If there ever was a film that said absolutely nothing, it would be The Pest.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hockles posted:

Hey WHM Thread....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_I4zqC7GN8

BLAMM

sorry, I don't have anywhere else to make that joke

Many Republicans' favorite movie of the year right there. Honestly, Death Wish 3 is probably one of the dumbest piles of garbage I ever thoroughly enjoyed but it's so incredibly dumb and over-the-top. This junk is just too straight-faced and 30 years too late. If you wanted to update the Death Wish story then at least get with the times. The villains would be the cops or alt-right shitheads (who are protected by said cops) and the protagonist would be a minority and/or part of the LGBTQ community. You know, actually discriminated groups who would have all the excuses in the world to fight back.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Alternatively, just don't remake Death Wish. It's a terrible idea no matter how you approach it.

That too. But Hollywood will be Hollywood.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tokyo Drift then 5-7 are good. In the way that, say, Commando is good. Except the F&F tries to have themes in it while Commando is just... Commando.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bright is like he saw Shadowrun and thought it was too anti-authority and too inclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

All good games those.