Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
There's no point in anyone doing Master of Disguise since Master of the Master of Disguise exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I can't believe the WHM guys missed a golden opportunity for a '600 degrees of Kevin Bacon' joke in the flamethrower scene.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

well why not posted:

apart from us? yeah, definitely. This show is kind of a boy's club and I think misog' dudes gravitate to stuff like this.

Plus for all that the dudes seem like genuinely decent guys there's a bunch of rape/pedophilia jokes in like, 50% of the episodes.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man, you saying this just reminded me of a lovely old 360 game called "Too Human". It was an action RPG lootfest game where the idea is that the Norse gods are actually these superadvanced future humans <sajdak>or something</sajdak>.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl7Qk4RJFLs

The thing I always loved about it was how the game was set up as the first part of a trilogy that never happened because the game sold terribly. Oh, and every time you died there was an unskippable 25 second cutscene.

The game didn't just sell badly, it was sued into nonexistence for using the unreal 3 enging without actually paying for it. It's almost impossible to find a copy now because it wasn't allowed to be sold after they lost the court case.

edit: Doh, semi-beaten to it.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 27, 2017

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
No podcast ad will ever match up to the period where My Brother My Brother and Me advertised Extreme Restraints, especially the episode where they weren't allowed to talk about adult themes or swear.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...no it's not? The Billy puppet showing up in full is typically Jigsaw's way of going "yay, you won!" in the movies. It's supposed to be a sort of mood whiplash, with this adorable puppet showing up to congratulate the victim after they went through hell. This is the sort of thing I was talking about when I said the movies have a weird subtle sense of humor running through them.

The TV screens with its distorted face are supposed to be freaky, but... they kinda are.

Sorry dude but James Wan definitely unironically thinks all puppets including that one are inherently scary.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

seven out of the eight movies weren't directed by him, and the puppet barely shows up in the first movie aside from the TV screens

The joke is that every single James Wan horror movie has spooky puppets/dolls in it.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Vagabundo posted:

Oh god yes. I think it was Paul Scheer who just wouldn't knock it off with the "Escape from *fart" poo poo, and I think I just switched it off and deleted it all after the second or third one. They either A) need a better editor, or B) need someone who can rein them in and keep them on topic, like a strong producer who can just say "shut the gently caress up, and get back on track."

The only other film ones I'd listened to was Cinema Swirl, where a guy introduces all sorts of mainstream "classic" films that his friend has never seen and one that a friend does, where he and the co-host just have an academic discussion about the latest films, which they get to see at the cinema they work part-time at.

Cinema Swirl was great because they stay on topic, and have an earnest and frank discussion about the film, what they felt worked, didn't work and why. They may occasionally go on a tangent, but they immediately get back on track and maintain focus, which is great.

It's just that both podcasts have had very sporadic output recently. It was part of why I tried out The Flop House and How Did This Get Made, and loving hell.

You might like Switchblade Sisters as well, it's a film critic and female film maker talking about the filmmaker's favourite genre film. Really in-depth discussion and often an interesting look into Hollywood gender politics.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Timeless Appeal posted:

How Did This Get Made also has a Patton Oswalt episode on Punisher: War Zone where he brings on Alexi Alexander. And it's just really good radio. But I always had the feeling that Patton assumed the show was about explaining how lovely movies came to be and pitched them this idea and they just went with it.

I got bored with HDTGM, but I do recommend a lot of episodes like Tiptoes, Sleepaway Camp, and Reindeer Games. The moment where they realize the lead character in Reindeer Games is named Rudolph is pretty great.

This was my first HDTGM episode I listened to and boy howdy was I ever disappointed with the subsequent episodes.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
"Logan Paul innocently dabbing in the suicide forest" is the line that always gets me at random times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
My only memories of the third Pirates movie are the cool opening scene and the fact that they bring in all these cool pirate kings for the final battle and then have them do literally nothing whatsoever.