Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sleeveless posted:

Somebody please recommend me another movie podcast that isn't terrible garbage. :sigh:

F This Movie is a pretty good podcast if you can get past the fact that it's a freelance film critic from suburban Chicagoland talking about movies he likes with his long-time buddies, all of whom are strictly casual movie fans. The host is a likable guy with a dorky sense of humor and a surprisingly deep knowledge of film. It's nowhere near as good or funny as WHM but it scratches that movie podcast itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

A few months ago, one of the guys asked on Reddit about recording studios in Manhattan because he was no longer going to be living in NYC proper. It was posted using the whmpodcast username that I believe Andrew and Eric both have used. So I think they're doing their best to accommodate any changes coming down the pipeline and (hopefully) no one's going to be leaving.

It would be real neat if Eric dropped by again to talk more about this.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Which one of you gave us that subtle shout-out in the comments on that photo?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hat Thoughts posted:

Something about Southland Tales gave me a lot of goodwill towards The Rock and Seann William Scott that just continues to get stronger.

I'd love to hear the gang take on The Rundown, it would be a great We Love Movies episode.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Don't know what problem you guys are having, but I heard only mild artifacting from the room acoustics, cleanup, compression, etc. Nothing that even approached singing or autotune.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Call it in! Your call may prompt them to actually do it and you'll get to take all the credit.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

This gem often enters my head around the holidays thanks to the podcast. (I can't be the only one. There's a subtle WHM reference in that video's description.)

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eight Crazy Nights is so bad they were able to make an episode 10-15 minutes longer than the film itself without any major derails or riffing sessions. Think about that.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Worst of 2014 was all stuff I had never heard of, so I hope I'm completely surprised this year.

e: Okay, maybe that new Hitman movie will show up. I had a friend who went to see that and walked out ten minutes in.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ad breaks in podcasts are the worst and wouldn't work well with WHM's stream of consciousness format. I'm aware it's edited for time and content already, but the end result is a fast-moving, nonstop conversation between the hosts, and that's one of the show's big strengths.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm talking about other podcasts, not WHM. HDTGM is the worst offender since their shows are already short and content-lite.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

Sometimes I'm convinced that people in this thread are downloading podcasts from an alternate dimension. while interspersed within the episodes, HDTGM's ads are much shorter, don't overstay their welcome, and their episodes are about as long as WHM, and they talk about the movie more.

Huh, I went back and checked episode lengths and you're right! I could have sworn the episodes I listened to a year ago only contained like 30 minutes of actual content, i.e. on-topic comedy.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

There's an episode of Captain Planet where some athlete gets HIV through a blood transfusion and the gang have to explain how HIV and AIDS are different. It was made when AIDS was still the gay cancer, so there's this undertone of homophobia and gay panic to the whole thing. Not to mention the whole "AIDS is terminal so your life is over" thing.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

They did? I have to listen to it ASAP.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm surprised the gang picked Never Say Never Again. It's not the most obvious choice and is in fact a pretty good, if unconventional, Bond film.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Most Bond films have dumb poo poo in them. It's kind of what sets them apart from other action movies. Never Say Never Again is really beautifully shot and has this breezy, confident feel about it that was present in the first couple Connery movies and went missing. The villain is great and so is old man Connery. It's in the top half of all the Bond films and maybe even in the top third. I saw it for the first time less than a year ago, so this isn't nostalgia talking. Regardless, I can't wait for WHM to rip it to shreds.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yes, both of them. Battle for Endor is top 10 for me because of those Wilford Brimley impressions. I've seriously listened to it 6 or 7 times by now.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hands down the funniest bit in the episode.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Is this the first episode they actually defined what a "tall glass of water" is? I figured it out a while ago, but I can't imagine it made any sense to someone that's not familiar with bongs.

I'm pretty sure they came out and said "We're talking about marijuana" during one of their mailbag episodes. Those are funny as poo poo, by the way, for anyone who isn't listening to them.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

There was a 3d animated film called The Clone Wars and by all accounts it's terrible.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sounds perfect for WHM!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I've only listened to the first half hour but so far there's lots of talk about fuckin' and suckin'.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

"Get out of my face with that poo poo" and "you can keep it" are currently my favorite phrases to express disdain and disgust about something.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

bobkatt013 posted:

Anyone listen to the Episode 3 commentary?

It's not out yet. This week tho.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I had no idea that website was still around. Haven't heard a thing about it since 2001ish.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blame Space Pod is back? Excellent!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlameSpacePod posted:

You sound like a real cool guy.

Don't take it personally. He's always like this.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

So which one of you asked the stairs question? Woof

Yikes!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

No one is going to own up to it after reading this and the RGD threads.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I watched about 10 minutes of The Ridiculous 6 last night and I'll tell you hwat, it's a prime candidate for worst of the year.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nah, it was direct-to-video.

Here's some fun stuff I found while Googling for that answer.

Dove Family Friendly Movie Reviews posted:

Content Description
Sex: Monkey kisses lady's hand.
Language: Idiot, heck.
Violence: Dog is chased by man; man cheats in wrestling match; man uses dog whistle to confuse a dog; many old-school wrestling moves and stunts, but all are played in a slap-stick manner.
Drugs: None
Nudity: Wrestlers shown shirtless.
Other: Dog urinates on people when scared; man tries to cheat family out of dog and home; monkey burps many times.
Fun for the whole family!!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Indolent Bastard posted:

Are there any of their old pre iTunes episodes that are specifically worth checking out?
All of them, except maybe a handful of their first 20. No joke, this podcast found its footing very quickly and has had an excellent run quality-wise. Even some of the weaker early episodes, like Congo, are full of good jokes.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Don't forget the Ewok movies!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

This mailbag episode is awesome. Not only is it twice as long as usual, but the extra length is all about pantshitting!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Olympus Has Fallen is the one without Jamie Foxx and with GERARDH BUTLERH instead.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

1. Ewoks: Battle for Endor (listened to this about 10 times now)
2. Blame It on Rio
3. Abraxas

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

e X posted:

I am genuinely surprised that Blame it on Rio is in the top three for so many people.

Outside of the gross premise is an incredible bland movie where little happens and there are only so many times they can get angry before it becomes boring.

Some episodes of the show are good because of the impressions. Others because of the bizarre scenarios the guys make up for the characters. Blame It on Rio is good because of the extreme moral outrage and disgust. They get hopping mad like in no other episode over a movie no one has ever seen.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

The D&D episode is getting bumped to next week. That sucks. I couldn't care less about their take on BvS.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm looking forward to this episode because it might be cathartic given the knowledge that since BvS is making tons of money they'll probably just keep moving movies like that forever.

It might also be the sequel to their Phantom Menace episode, which is the worst one they've ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlameSpacePod posted:

If you don't care about BvS and don't mind spoilers, tune in because we do some zany unrelated impressions.
Yo this is great to hear.