Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It seems like classic NY, in podcast form. Lean left, support the mafia and tell strangers to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not nearly enough digressions about pro sports. There are some but there could be many more. Then again, the amount of time they spend talking about Law & Order makes up for it.

Well, if you consider Wresting as sport, I'd say they're right on quota.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It'd be really fun if they went in for another helping of BvS fan mail.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Live action claymation ie puppets

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Is Foxworthy recognisable enough in the US that his unspeaking appearance would even register?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This is brilliance.

I think the m'sog fans being warded off was kind of a brave move. Telling any part of your fanbase to gently caress off, around the time of launching a patreon fun is pretty gutsty. Glad it worked out and we're all onboard with the term "m'sog"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Oh Man, The Happening is one of the funniest movies ever. I can't wait.

2005 Fantastic 4 is such a good choice - it's been basically entirely forgotten, overshadowed by other parts of the franchise, on either side.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think they actually addressed the plot of Entourage at all. It's all just poo poo talk about Goober and, if I recall, someone even goes to a dark place about the Vietnamese dude Wahlberg beat up as a teen.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I only have deconstructed ketchup, which is smashed tomatoes and a sugar glaze.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Demolition Man just dropped

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Better be a We Love Movies.

It sure is, it's also filthy as gently caress which seems to be the theme of WHM in 2016. I think I'm going to start referring to it as an edgecast from now on.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Silentgoldfish posted:

I think I've had Chris Cabin and Steve Sadjak mixed up all this time. Which one's which?

Steve's voice is higher and he loves comic books and impressions. Chris is more into 'cinema' cinema and speaks lower with less of a pronounced NY accent.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

As I've said before in this thread, Stephen is the one that you would associate with the term 'noted coward'.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jupin tweeted about not loving GQ the other day, so I'd be surprised if they did an episode on it. Maybe a Nexus special, one day? It is widely considered a top-level Star Trek film.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

HDTGM did an episode on it years ago, one of their more tolerable releases. I think WHM would do a way better job, naturally, but they usually seem to avoid doing stuff that's popular on other movie podcasts.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They were really ahead of the curve on the Bee Movie meme.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

New ON-SCREEN for Rogue One! They're pretty mixed on it, but sounds mostly positive.

well why not fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 22, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't wait to hear the angry emails they get for the Suicide Squad movie.

Gonna be one hell of a mailbag, that's for sure.

I've been saying for years now that an actual Bee Movie episode would be amazing, but now it's a running gag (and bizarre internet meme) it's looking like it'll never happen.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's a huge number of podcast networks (earwolf, maxfun, nerdist etc) but most already seem to have a competing 'Bad Movies' podcast. IMO, WHM is the #1 in it's genre, so I'm fascinated to see if they get picked up by another network. Ideally it'd be someone like MaxFun who are able to actually stay open.

Recording a one hour podcast is more like 4 or 5 hours work, if you factor in the movie watch, note-taking, travel times, editing etc. It's a huge undertaking for someone with a full-time job. It's amazing WHM is so high quality and regular, let alone happens at all. Podcasters need all the help they can get, particularly people like the WHM gang. Back the Patreon, is what I'm saying.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Semi-related, but does anyone have a favorite podcast streaming/fast forwarding app for Windows 8 that they recommend?
I've been clicking on "direct download" from the website and listening on my chrome player, but it doesn't have a skip 30 seconds option & I can only narrow it down to a 4-minute window with my mouse.

Pocketcasts works well on windows, IIRC. It may cost a couple bucks, but it's worth it if it does the job.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

painynumbs posted:

MaxFun has The Flophouse so they are in need of a funny movie podcast.

this is a nuclear dunk

yeah I don't know which network would be an ideal setting for WHM. MaxFun is cool, but i don't know if the WHM vibe would mesh well with them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Ads: Loudly proclaim that you're going to THE MONEY ZONE like they do on MBMBAM? Advertisers get the placement they want and there's no slow realization that when you're talking about how easily something can be folded back up and returned if you're not satisfied with it you're talking about an internet mattress and not Jim Belushi.

Dirty Grandpa: Not even worth skipping to the end.

MBMBAM style money-zone transitions would be perfect. Just fade in the theme music (or the loving banger of a halloween theme) and run the ad copy. Fade it back in (or I guess drop the bass in October) and get back to the poo poo impressions.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The CEO of Marvel is a Trump supporter too. Rich people are scum

This dude sounds like a total creep, there's been suits about him and allegations of racism for a while. What's the story with his war crimes??

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

count me in for the new ad format being better. i actually suggested a music cue earlier in the thread, so i'm pumped to see it happen.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SS also makes merch money out the rear end don't forget.

The frustrating thing about SS is that there's already dozens of films about ragtag bands of ne'er do-well types becoming families who do good. Just copy a Fast & Furious movie and be done with it. Instead they smashed like four ideas together and it's one of the most baffling 'genre' films I've ever seen. The repeated helicopter crashes should never have made it past a script editor.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ghost emoji posted:

I liked the part where they were explaining that you had to have money/riches to get into the afterlife, that's why you built a pyramid, and you just hear Eric whisper in amazement "you built a pyramid?" Very stupid moment but I laughed.

Unlike most people, eric displays absolutely zero fear of saying the dumbest jokes that come to him. It's an asset.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I kinda suspect Gods Of Egypt was a hasty copy & paste over a script titled something about norse gods when they realised that the Thor movies exist.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I played the demo for that, it seemed pretty fun in a mindless way. The setting was very cool (you played as a not-quite fully cyborg Baldur) and the graphics seemed nice. Weird controls, though. I also hated the 30s respawn animation of the Valkyrie rising up.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

I considered going Jojo for sheer "well, if you like confusion..." but it starts so slow. So I feel like if I have to give a caveat, maybe I just shouldn't.

they're not going to watch the entire thing for AD, so may as well just drop them right into the middle of some animes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wonder if they'd do someting like Rocko's Modern Life! - it's pretty 'good' but very bizarre and quite surreal. It'd be very interesting at the least.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

"Dystopian ruling body is actually corrupt and hypocritical" isn't a new concept, so I don't think that part is weird.

Equilibrium is one of those movies that may as well been a script in cold storage since the eighties. If it was shot in 1985 it'd have exactly the same lines and deliveries, just replace the (totally awesome) brutalism with really foggy neon factories and it'd be perfect.

Count Chocula posted:

The weirdest bit is getting Christian Bale, a guy who's speciality is playing emotionless creeps, as a guy who needs to have emotions.

I recently watched Captain Corelli's Mandolin where he is meant to be playing a Greek resistance fighter in WWII. I'm a fan of Bale, but anytime he has to be romantic or warm in any way he totally fails. He just seems like he's about to throttle everyone at a moment's notice. Way too intense for any scene with romance in it. Believable Italian Soldier Nic Cage comes in and bangs his fiance. You don't feel bad for Bale's character at all.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gonz posted:

It got to the point where the only thing I enjoyed were Jason Mantzoukas' interactions with the guests and/or the live crowds.

Mantzoukas is really key to that show. He's the only one of them I'd call funny, really. Scheer just comes across like a potential kidnapper and JDR just seems like she sleeps through everything and still shows up to podcast with basically zero understanding of the films.

The amount of effort they put in is super low (barely watch the movies, almost never make notes, horrid audio quality) just makes it feel like a rushjob. The paywall and constant ads just make it seem like a cashgrab. Particularly frustrating as they're all professional entertainers who probably aren't exactly hard up for cash. Amateurs routinely put out better produced content. HDTGM just seems lazy. If it didn't have a star as funny as Mantzoukas it'd be worth zero time. I get that they're busy with their 'real jobs' and families, but if they want HDTGM to be an income stream they should budget more than 3 hours per week to do so. Also it was really confusing on NTSF:SD:SUV:: where Scheer wears a wig - I thought the hair and the teeth were fake, turns out he's just a freaky looking dude.

edit: also Mantzoukas on Brooklyn Nine-Nine is potentially one of the most entertaining returning guest stars in any TV show.

well why not fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 29, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I am stunned, stunned, that there's a joke about jacking off a bull in the Power Rangers movie. I honestly thought it was a Szyzka creation but nope it's in there.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://theringer.com/power-rangers-is-a-movie-about-bad-people-ef9faafeafb7

I don't think kids movies need to be 100% wholesome but it's sounding more and more that this film isn't something young kids should be watching.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Things like Jaws, Jurassic Park or Predator slowburn the reveal to ramp up tension. Thing is, bad movies don't have this level of tension so it just feels like you're sitting around waiting for these dickheads to get their movie started. The key difference is basically that those films had good pacing. Godzilla 2014 also takes ages to get going but it's overall pretty good due to having a few really cool setpieces - irradiated Japan is much more interesting than a Krispy Kreme somewhere in socal.

Pacific Rim is also about smashing machines together but it understands that it's not a highbrow film and shows some awesome poo poo off upfront. It's not the greatest film ever made but it doesn't bury the lede at all. I respect that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cabin is also responsible for "Prepare for Fluid" from Matrix Revolutions, which is possibly one of the best and most disgusting phrases ever used.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gyges posted:

Alternatively we trade Chuck's death for Bruce Lee's and we never even get to Chuck Norris jokes.

this would surely be a better world

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If there's a story involving lunacy in Brookyln, there's a 90% chance it's Steve being terrorised in some way.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

WHM ads are fine. Saying that they're "SHILLING" is loving idiotic. Do you even know what a shill is? Hint: it doesn't involve Spanish Flea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Latest Mailbag was fantastic. Them last stories about drugs (all taking place in Colorado, ofcourse) were really funny. I love to hear the guys talk about their college years.

I feel like we all learnt something that we already sort of knew about Crabin