Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Sleeveless posted:

Flophouse depresses me because they're these obnoxious unfunny guys and then they mention that they're professional comedy writers and they attended the Emmys and then you just die a little inside.

It's like listening to The Canon and them off-handedly mentioning voting in the academy awards or interviewing Guillermo del Toro for a blu-ray and realizing that these annoyong people with bad opinions have so much clout and lead such interesting lives because of it.

I feel like the Flophouse wasn't always so tangent filled. And then it got worse and worse. I realized how I only enjoyed ~15% of every episode when I started listening to We Hate Movies. WHM is so much better than the Flophouse in every way. The tangents are better, the reoccurring bits like Martin Cinemax are fantastic, and I even like their monthly mailboxes better. The only thing Flophouse wins on is that it didn't take me as long to learn which name went with each voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Nouvelle Vague posted:

This is going to sound odd, but one of the reasons I stopped listening to The Flophouse was because I sensed a lot of tension between Elliott and Dan, and it made it an uncomfortable listen.

I know what you mean! I don't know if it was a shtick like hook hands or the pervert thing, but it was uncomfortable. It was sad though, I liked Dan and Stuart but Elliot just went on so much that it became a chore to listen to.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

BMFcast is a fantastic podcast. The show has a very upbeat tone, and I'd recommend it to fans of the We Love Movies variety. A few of my favorite episodes are for xXx State of the Union, Top Cop, Shakma, and Roar, but you're pretty safe with anything that looks like straight to video action or blaxploitation. They also separate the first "review" portion of the show and the second "chit chat, emails and callers" portion with an intermission, which is very appreciated.

Thank you for the recommend! I'm listening to Vampire Cop right now, and it's really enjoyable.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I really want them to do Pirates of Dark Water. I remember that cartoon being awesome, I hope it's not just nostalgia. That's the reason I'll never watch Jem again.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

BlameSpacePod posted:

No. We all started the episode knowing John Carpenter had been approached though. Source: I was there.

A Meat posted:

Then huge kudos, because that was so good that I thought it must have been practiced or discussed prior.

Sometimes I think that as well just because y'all are so funny, but either way We Hate Movies is legit one of my favorite podcasts. I really need to call in next time for listener requests to get Worst Witch in there.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I'm watching C.H.U.D. for the first time along with the Chudmentary, and these guys really are the best. I'd love for them to do more commentary tracks if they are all as good as this first one. They are so disgusted by Daniel Stern and his horrible sweat stains :allears:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

You guys, Sucker Punch is so bad. I had never watched it, and just heard of it's shittiness, but wow. The Punchmentary made it bearable, and there were a few times that Andrew Jupin and I lined up on 'What the gently caress?!' but I'm shocked that anyone ever let Zack Snyder direct a movie again.
Also, it was surprisingly hard to find a non-director's cut of the film.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Haha oh my god, I never noticed the little heels before. Also I bet those shoes suck when it rains.

Illinois Smith posted:

is he like rob liefeld's little cousin or something

Nah, he can draw feet.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Corek posted:

Google calls next week's My Best Friend's Wedding a "comedy of manners" which is overdoing it I think.

I'm really looking forward to this because I'm a fan of romcoms but My Best Friend's Wedding was really not enjoyable for me.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Gyges posted:

Wait, is it a musical or just filled with a cast of the most insufferable people ever?

The latter. Ooh, they should do a romcom month. I have quite a few I'd love them to discuss.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

After the Invisible Child episode came out, I ordered the DVD on Amazon. I regret nothing.

And adding to my romcom request, a month of Lifetime movies would be so good

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

weekly font posted:

Eric. He's said before he would love to do a Lifetime movies podcast.

Oh my god, I hope they set up a Patreon and that's a backer incentive. I'd fund that in a second

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I just did a re-listen of all of their episodes last October and now I kind of want to again now that I'm thinking about Cat's Eye and Cyber Seduction and Babycakes

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Cael posted:

How are the commentary tracks (Nemesis/Chud/Sith/Sucker Punch)? And is it supposed to sync up with the movie at all? I really want to listen to the Sucker Punch one but A) money and B) I definitely don't want to actually watch Sucker Punch.

Edit: less so the money factor because I just found upon further searching it's $3 on cdbaby, which is much easier to pony up than $10 on itunes.

They do a little countdown in the beginning and tell you what second they are paused on. It's very easy to sync to from my experience. I've listened to the Sucker Punch and CHUD one and I found both very worthwhile purchases.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's all in fun anyway. It would be a good challenge.

I think the only way to do that well is a critical analysis type show. I feel like any time I've seen jokes directed at great pieces of media, they are being willfully dense, disingenuous, or lazy. I'd be interested in how someone could riff on it w/o succumbing to those sorts of problems.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I liked how raring to go he was with all those jokes, right from the Sunset Boulevard opener

This is why we need Lifetime movie month or something similar. That film library must be gold

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I miss Martin Cinemax :allears: I hope he makes a reappearance soon

if WHM ever had a gang tag

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

"Brian, did you sign me up for a podcast?! Not cool, Brian!"

Along with the Trickster and Jeremy

clickety-clack clickety-clack

Shirec fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 18, 2016

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

That Nick Nolte voice sounds like it hurts after 2 minutes or so.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Yaws posted:

Street Fighter is dope in black and white

R.I.P.D. Raúl Juliá, taken from us too soon :(

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

teen witch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7e6gLht6OQ

It is as bad, if not even worse, than the tangent let on. This is a On-Screen worthy "film".

Cabin's back :woop: (is it for good or for a guest spot?)

I've never seen this before and :aaa: I want to see someone take this apart piece by piece.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Fezz posted:

It's a great episode I've listened to several times because they hate it so much and the Matthew Broderick impressions are hilarious.

The descriptions of him having sex are both nauseating and ridiculously funny. Random question, does anyone know which episode features the running joke throughout the episode that the bad guy was running a service selling video tapes, with intern Jeremy? I thought it was 976-Evil, but nope!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Fezz posted:

The episode you're thinking of is Brainscan.

Thank you kindly!

Guy Mann posted:

Oh man that would be a great call-in for listener request month. I've never seen the movie myself but I remember reading at the time that they completely neutered the satire by having it just be mind control chips in their heads but they also did a bunch of dumb jokes about them being robots, like going to an ATM and having money pour out of their mouths when it malfunctions (???).

Frank Oz what happened to you man.

They did indeed gently caress it up pretty bad. I remember when I watched the original Stepford Wives, although I had problems with parts of it, it was unsettling and stuck with me. The new one was entirely bleached puff. I assume the reason they changed it from robots to mind control chips was because they didn't want to deal with the wives being dead and the less than uplifting ending

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

So, I was in another thread that reminded me of Wickerman, which was released in 2006. What are the chances it's part of the Spooktackular this year? I want them to discuss the bear punch :allears:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

So glad they decided to do this! I hope this really speeds up the amount of commentary tracks :pray:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Same. Halloween is the most wonderful time of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FMf8ltkCgM

They 100% need to do Worst Witch. I keep forgetting to submit it for the listener's choice month.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

:allears: The first time a person in a movie they've done takes the Sajdak way out killed me. It's one of my favorite low key running bits

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wonder why they stopped sticking in little clips of music and bits of the movie they're referencing? I guess once they got too big there's the risk of getting an ep taken down for that? Or am I totally wrong
I like their impressions but I enjoyed actually hearing the crazy poo poo they're referencing from time to time

It's probably an assload of effort to do that for a weekly show. I think Jupin said it was him that did the editing etc, so maybe he just didn't have the time?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh I've missed Martin Cinemax III :allears:

Yes! I'm also excited to see what Martin Cinemax IV does to earn the keys to the kingdom.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love that both Andrew and Steve were both going "oh I'd totally leave you behind."

Steve has his exits planned. I would enjoy like a weird supercut of a bunch of horror movies where it would pause, caption "Steve would kill himself here" and then cut to next movie.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I assume there isn't a way we are gonna get thar Death Spa bit online? Curse my Southeast living! :argh:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I'm so pumped they are getting a good amount on Patreon. I've rarely had a podcast that has that much natural comedic timing and flow. These are seriously funny dudes and I def want them to be able to do more

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I agree, it's actually a relief. Not only are they rightly disgusted by the reddity "Ghostbusters killed my childhood" poo poo but you can always count on them to notice when a female character is underwritten or a plot point is sexist. Shame how they can never eat Doritos anymore though.

Legit, not only are they better about sexism than a majority of online presences, they deal with LGBT stuff in a way that warms my heart. They are my fave podcast not only for content, but how they handle themselves.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I've had bad luck getting any requests in and I'm legit thinking I will try and get a top tier slot when they open back up so I can request Worst Witch. They need more Tim Curry over all imo

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

A Meat posted:

I think they've already rid themselves of those people long ago. Have to say I didn't expect that kind of reference from WHM, but what can I say, I'm glad they're up to date on stupid internet people.

also, if you haven't listened to the 18 Again episode, it's another "romcom" where your main dude is a huge creep, but for different reasons

I know we talked about this earlier with what good guys they are, but god drat, they really are. My heart was breaking reading some of Eric's recent tweets

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/796225410015133696

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/796229066827399168

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/796230056330805248

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/796410834368876544

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Squallege posted:

Sometimes I feel they harp on things for way too long. Andrew especially. He just comes off as angry all the time. When I get to this point I take a break though so it could just be from listening to the podcast so much.

I think they edge on it very rarely but overall, I would say the tone of We Hate Movies is the most forgiving towards bad movies in general. Most of the time I feel like Andrew is just venting over pet peeves of movies and poor directing/scripting/acting. I sympathize because he must watch a ton of stuff and he has to spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff.

[gush]
Honestly We Hate Movies has been the most consistently awesome for me and it the one I re-download the catalog and listen to pretty frequently. Maybe I just burned out so badly on Flophouse that I'm super forgiving. That and how progressive they are and unafraid to call poo poo out is really important to me. Like a lot of other podcasts I listen to that aren't expressly liberal just tiptoe around it, and it makes me so happy to see four average dudes being not terrible.
So I finally started catching up on all the Patreon stuff and omg, I love it. I love in the beginning when they started going very blue and both apologizing/defending it. I didn't think I would like the Nexus as much as I do, and the SooS has been very interesting and fun to listen to. So glad they started doing it :allears:
[/gush]

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I ended up renting Sucker Punch twice cause I got the wrong one to sync with the commentary. Glad to have spent it cause the commentary was great but mad to give money to that trash pile.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Captain Hotbutt posted:

What are the dream choices for Listener Request Month? If you knew you were going to get picked, what's the movie you guys would submit, more than anything?

I am really frothing at the mouth to leave an awkward Skype call.

Shirec posted:

Guy Mann posted:

Same. Halloween is the most wonderful time of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FMf8ltkCgM

They 100% need to do Worst Witch. I keep forgetting to submit it for the listener's choice month.

Shirec posted:

I've had bad luck getting any requests in and I'm legit thinking I will try and get a top tier slot when they open back up so I can request Worst Witch. They need more Tim Curry over all imo

I may be partial to Worst Witch. It needs to happen!!!!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I cannot wait, this upcoming month is gonna be amazing :allears:

I just posted in the romcom thread about Babycakes being a hate watch in that vein, and I was thinking, has anyone ever regretted watching one of the movies covered by WHM? Like they were right, it's so terrible, it's not even funny? I usually don't need to watch a movie I haven't already, but I know some of y'all do that?
Which was the one you regretted most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's an old CineD thread where someone did a scene-by-scene breakdown of Bee Movie (and other bad CGI films like Shark Tale and Foodfight) that was pretty hilarious, but I'll be damned if I can find it right now.

Gotcha for that http://beemoviereview.tumblr.com/post/141332862600/this-tumblr-account-contains-the-bee-movie
Someone put it up on Tumblr, Pick wrote it.