Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if its entirely kosher to do this in a WHM post, but I've found a new (goon-run) movie podcast that I've fallen in love with - This Was Rad. Two dudes talking about 80s movies, with one of theirs 14yo daughters. It's legitimately funny and interesting to see movies that WHM-type folks eat up through the mind of the younger generation.

E: vvv I haven't gotten to that one, but outside of some volume issues on their site I haven't had any audio issues. :shrug: Not all podcasts are using great tech...

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

These guys are awfully upset by the Max Landis Mary-Sue thing. If you don't agree, just move on, but mocking Max and the fact that Rey is a Mary-Sue is really dorky.

I love the guys, but remember: they talked about tears looking at Chewbacca crying after Hans death, as well as some obvious self consciousness over how the best way to make them happy about a Star Wars film was to copy-paste ANH.

Less upset, more defensive. People will bring up Rey As Character Great At Everything And Loved By Everyone, or how TFA is ANH2.0, for as long as the movie is discussed.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 13, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I assumed they were talking about the series as a whole. The first one didn't even have much more story than the original Mega Man games.

:confused: The first one absolute absolutely had more story than the original Mega Man. You had actual characters with actual dialogue propelling the plot forward.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I noticed that too. I think the "player" for those early ones is just your browser's default when opening an mp3, and the pausing/freezing comes from your browser not buffering the full track as it goes along.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
They are coming back to Chicago!

To do Predator loving 2

:getin:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Squallege posted:

How do I get signed up for that?

https://www.facebook.com/WeHateMovies/posts/1281975171819483

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Count Chocula posted:

Wait adults aren't supposed to have rooms full of toys?

Only ones who review movies online are allowed to.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

This reminds me, it's not my favorite episode but maybe the hardest I've ever laughed at WHM was the return from the Son of the Mask green sperm deleted scene intermission.

I loved that bit, and now I need to rewatch it.

As for favorites, I kinda like them all, but I think The Watcher is one that I'm overly fond of. "Brian!"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

duz posted:

Oh man, Bee Movie Podcast. What an idea!

Everyone is buzzing about it!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm anticipating a lot of unintentional reenaction of their angry-man-asking-for-a-handjob-from-their-mom character.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, if you want to talk "overdesigned characters" then we need to talk about Wayne Reynold's stuff.

I'm almost entirely sure that this one is from one of the joke/self-referential sets of Magic: The Gathering, and its over designed look is intentional.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Forgot to mention that during their live show for Predator 2, the amount of times the guys called Adam Baldwin a human toilet was over a dozen, and it was glorious.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Okay so my suspect list is MisterBibs and thrawn.

Saw 100 new posts to this thread, and figured that it was response to the mailbag. I didn't listen to either their take or the resulting mailbag, so you're wrong.

Hell, this came up when they were in town, randos and I were talking with Jupin about any episodes we've never watched, and I told him that the only two episodes or theirs I've not listened to was their GL episode and their BvS, and explained to his face that I didn't need to hear an hour of "Not My Superman" and getting mad at a successful tentpole movie. He didn't seem all "you have to hate this movie" when we briefly talked about it and other comic movies.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 2, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Green Bean posted:

I'm not sure what standard you're using to call GL a successful tentpole movie...

No, I explained that I couldn't listen to that one because I really wanted that to be better than it was, and it's bright points (design) was wasted, and it's still a :smith: spot for me.

BTW, the guys are super approachable after live shows. They went up to people to thank even for showing up, which of awesome cuz I'm far too shy to walk up to closest-thing-to-celebrities I've been around.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Their Lambert impression has been making the rounds in my head all day.

heh heh heh

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I disagree with them on the Beast/Leech scene, I actually liked how Grammer pulled off the reaction to seeing his human hand. Part shock, part "holy poo poo I didn't realize how much I've wanted to see this until right now".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hockles posted:

New On-Screen. TMNT Out of the Shadows

It's funny how they went into the first one thinking that it was a misstep that they didn't pander to 80s kids :lol:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Street Fighter might be a terrible movie, but the "everyone does their victory pose" thing at the end was legitimately cool in a pandering way.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Plus, from what I understand, his stage coach job was one of the most dangerous to drive both in terms of terrain and potential for coachrobbing, so if he was at all damaged, he wouldn't have been able to do it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

lmao mister loving bibs are you seriously claiming phineas gage was perfectly fine after the whole rod-through-the-brain thing?

Um, no? I was just adding something I recall reading about the dude. I want to say it was an article debunking the "he was entirely a different person" urban legend, and they went into detail on how if he wasn't at least vaguely functional, there was no way he'd be able to be a stagecoach driver for a notoriously dangerous route.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 6, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Maybe it was my past with writing SCP stuff, but I liked the idea behind The Happening. Something causing plants around the globe to emit something that makes humans apathetic to the point of ignoring self-care is terrifying. People who aren't healthy start dying off, and society only starts paying attention when more people are just :geno:ing to death, and society just slowly fades away because it's too late to stop it.

on the other side of the coin no one else liking Unbreakable, somehow.

Unbreakable, time-wise, before the superhero movie boom, right? I could see people finding out the twist and thinking "ugh, so he's basically Superman, whatever".

Guy Mann posted:

Shyamalan's run from Sixth Sense to Signs was really great and it was even understandable that people were calling him the next Hitchcock based on the strength of those movies. It's a shame his ego got the best of him

I'm not going to deny that his ego played a part, but I'd say a big part of it was him beginning to believe the press about him, to say nothing about studios giving him carte blanche because of every critic and Sundance cinephile calling him the next Hitchcock.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 12, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

That was the best. Not even dignifying him with a silly voice, just calling him a toilet like eight times across the show.

The first time he said it, I knew I was glad to have been at the show. Iirc, there was one guy near me who lightly boo'd that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I like both HDTGM and WHM. I guess I'm a sparkling unicorn or something.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wonder why they stopped sticking in little clips of music and bits of the movie they're referencing? I guess once they got too big there's the risk of getting an ep taken down for that? Or am I totally wrong
I like their impressions but I enjoyed actually hearing the crazy poo poo they're referencing from time to time

I think it's a cross between effort, as someone else posited, and the risk of copyright protection snafus.

Maybe them no longer doing it coincides with the time when YouTube/etc started going "hey internet critics, stop using our poo poo for your own poo poo"?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's been forever since I've seen it, but I recall this moment where Invisible Kevin Bacon splashes water on his face, and for a second he can see his face and I think he briefly has a "oh poo poo what have I done" look, counterpointing his earlier "When you can't look at your face, you start to not give a poo poo a bit what you do" line.

Two unrelated experiences from listening to random old episodes:

- It might be because I didn't much care for any of the other ones, but I really liked New Nightmare (watched it last night) and I don't think the hosts got some or it. They act like Robert Englund leaves the picture randomly, but it's clear he's getting plagued to a degree by Not Freddy like Heather is, and he's just getting out while the getting is good.

- I learned what triggering is when Eric described Diablo as a game of dudes trying to collect and shove a Demon Crystal in their foreheads.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Ain't no trees in Botswanna! I know, I am a Botswanian lumberjack an' I ain't ever had a job!

I love EsS and cannot be objective about it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Crocobile posted:

I may have terrible taste but I actually really liked the first Childs Play movie. The sequels are unwatchable though.

Curse of Chucky (the latest one) worked for me. It got rid of a decent chunk of the lolmonkeycheese humor.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Interesting. According to the official Facebook page (reverting/updating their profile picture to the original one), the podcast isn't on the Slideshow network anymore.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I kinda remember reading that, after a few years and she didn't have to give press about it anymore, Mila Jovovich didn't like Ultraviolet either.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jiro posted:

http://www.whmpodcast.com/2017/03/episode-294-power-rangers.html?m=1

Looks like new episode is out and they are covering the new Power Rangers movie.

Half an hour in, and they are completely lost on a basic sexting plot point. Did they really need that explained more, or was that a joke?

E: and they entirely think a character who leaves the house, starting the plot, does so because his parents were arguing about him, has only a father.

I'm beginning to wonder if they were drinking tall glasses of water while watching this. "Why didn't they call down to see if people down there are OK?" Because the scene starts with people down there saying they were OK.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 28, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

I just listened to the first part on my way to work but it's a good episode so far and the movie seems to have enough baffling poo poo in it that it's fun to talk about? The image of Brian Cranston lying in the mud babbling alien language, a kids/teen film opening with a character jerking off a bull, etc.

That's the thing, none of it is 'baffling' in the slightest.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

The image of Brian Cranston lying in the mud babbling alien language, a kids/teen film opening with a character jerking off a bull, etc. 

The former is the ending to a sad war movie, with makeup and aliens. The latter is a joke about a prank gone wrong.

Ain't rocket science.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

If Bibs gets red and naked online over movie podcasts missing plot points I hope he's never listened to How Did This Get Made or he'd go Scanners.

I stopped listening to HDTGM after the paywall bullshit, but most of the movies they covered were bad and often incomprehensible.

For its faults, the Power Rangers movie ain't either.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Whoa, what paywall bullshit? I quit listening to that podcast once it shifted to being like 90% live episodes that were 90% crowdwork. They decided they could charge for that?

Anything past 6mo old now is locked away. They announced it a year in advance, or something, but didn't say anything else until the day where everything older went away.

I think I read that they did some changes, but whatever. I was kinda over the show anyway, just because the movies they were covering weren't motivating enough to actually listen to. It's a problem I have with WHM, sometimes, too.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 28, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

I finished it and Elizabeth Banks covered in dirt eats hobo tooth fillings and gold jewelry to create a gold monster, and you're defending this movie.

Yup, because it's an enjoyable movie that they would've missed why she was stealing gold because they were using the bathroom or missed the line because they were writing down a joke about the previous scene.

Oh, and that joke is predicated on missing what happens in that scene, too. I like the podcast as much as the next guy, but not all their episodes are winners. This one wasn't.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 29, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

It sounds like you don't like this episode because you liked this movie and wanted to hear the Bad Movie Podcast praise it for 90 minutes instead of make fun of it.

Nope, it's pretty much what I said before: the Bad Movie Podcast Guys weren't paying attention to a rather simple movie. If you're confused by a basic sexting plot, it's not the movie that hosed up.

Maybe I just expect more competence in my podcasts than you.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 29, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

JT Smiley posted:

There's one guy going out of his way to defend the movie and even he kinda just gave up after awhile. Which is really tame for CD standards.

The movie itself is rather tame, inoffensive, and really hard to find anything to rant about on a Bad Movie Podcast. It's why the end result was three people doing June Diane Raphael's bit in trying.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This goes beyond WHM, but it's always a pet peeve when podcast hosts have something they want to say before the point of the episode (be it ads or something else) and don't provide a time code to the actual meat. I hate playing the "how long should I hold the skip button to skip the flotsam but not the content?" game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

They are seriously not that long to start with, what is even the point of skipping them?

Because a lot of podcasters, WHM included sometimes, don't just read the copy they are given, but elaborate on it enough just to be annoying and no longer "not that long to start with".

Making gags and riffs about needing to shave isn't going to make me want to get Harry's stuff more. Read the damned copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't have time to relisten, but didn't they just mention Henry Dean Stanton in a joke during their It review? These guys need to stop mentioning actors in their podcast, if they are just going to die shortly thereafter.