Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

ghost emoji posted:

I really hope there's a Twin Peaks reboot on-screen episode, because there's an old favorite in the cast list.

Jim Belushi

I'm pretty sure they had this as a bit on one of the newer episodes. May have been Nightmare Beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

One thing I appreciate with WHM is the fact that they use an instrumental jingle as a theme tune, instead of an embarrassing, self-referential song that so many podcasts, even good ones, insist on having. What's the obsession with those?

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Andrew seems more mad than Cabin to me tbh.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Connor MacLeod puppet show is thing of genius and still making me laugh

Bad impression Christopher Lambert doing a bad impression of Sean Connery was priceless.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

I just relistened to their Matrix Revolutions episode and they made a joke about the future of the Matrix universe being caused by President Rick Santorum.

Better or worse than Trump's Mad Max future?

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Pops Mgee posted:

Did I miss it or were there no ads that episode? Did the sponsors not want to be associated with "Cum Heist"?

More like didnt want to be associated with Ultraviolet.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

I'm amused that the AV Club's Podmass comment section has started to go to bat for HDTGM while slamming WHM for making jokes about Trump and Alex Jones.

WHM, a podcast with actual bits and jokes, and HDTGM with???

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

He also had the best bits on the Bee Movie episode.

"What if he crushed him... LIKE A BUG!!!"

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Steve singing Stand out of nowhere in the new episode killed me.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

What I gather from the responses in this thread is that no one has listened to the AVP episode yet, cause this may be one of their funniest episodes.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Gonz posted:

The left-handed Predator bit was fantastic.

"Mother, bring me my toilet!"

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Someone should send that PDF to the WHM gang for their next mailbag.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Shouldn't there be a new mailbag episode today? It hasn't appeared on my feed yet.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Picked the Space Jam episode as your intro to the show, I see.

That one's really good though.

Also, the presidential power ranking digression was really great, and I love that their depiction of Bush Sr is basically him from The Simpsons episode where he becomes Homer's neighbour.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Gran Torino :getin:

Not a 2008 film, but I really want them to do Rock A Doodle. It was a childhood staple that I recently revisited due to nostalgia, and I realized that the film is not only bad, it's batshit crazy.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Did they go back to place ads in the older episodes? I relistened to Teen Witch today, and there was an ad in the middle I can't remember being there before. It even had the "Spanish Fly" background music.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Anyone knows when the next Listener Request Month is?

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

After watching it, I really hope they do The Snowman for worst of 2017 now.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Also, Huey, Dewey and Louie as trust-fund shitheads is my favourite impression they do.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Dissapointed they are not gonna do The Snowman and The Book Of Henry, but Eric is finally gonna be vindicated now when they are doing the Bye Bye Man and I am ok with that.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Hard To Kill is easily a Top 10 WHM episode.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Wasn't it frozen pizza too that Stallone eats fresh out of the freezer?

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

The latest episode suddenly got very Chapo with all the game theory jokes. Fat Boys crossover with the Dry Boys soon?

Also, recommended Rock-A-Doodle and Rats: Night Of Terror for episodes, and the episode of Doug where he breaks Mr. Dink's grill for Animation Damnation.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Sometime mid-february, like this year.

Anyway, I almost recommended Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for Animation Damnation before I thought better of it. It would lead to some prime bafflement, but it's probably not the kind of show they should do anyway.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, but that was the driving test episode, which isn't really part of the main narrative. There is no such episodes of Jojo. It would be fun to hear them react to the Pillar Men or something, but they would just be left completely confused without being able to suss out the bigger plot, and get a thousand angry twitter messages as a result.

As I said, a bad idea.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Wonder if there is a chance we will get another emergency episode in march like we have for the last two years, because I just noticed that Ready Player One is coming out that month.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Both I Know Who Killed Me and Tarzan the Ape Man has potential to be top tier episodes. I think the selection is pretty good this month, but I don't know how much they can get out of the second sequel to a pretty mediocre slasher. Is I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer especially terrible? Seems just kinda forgettable to me.

Didn't they do two Listener Request Months one year? They should do that now that their Patreon has gotten so big as it has.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel like it was kind of a missed opportunity to not replace the school principal character from the newest season with Jim Belushi, and make it Rick Latimer

Make The Principal, Abraxas: Guardian of the Universe, and Twin Peaks be part of the same continuity, for the weirdest trilogy of all time

Love it, if only because that means Secundus is part of the Twin Peaks universe.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

The episodes I like the least are the ones about run of the mill 80s action movies or comedies, not the big ones but like forgettable trash that you might have seen on TBS fifteen years ago. I just don't really find them interesting, the movies themselves are so dumb and generic that it's hard to follow the riffing if I zone out for a minute (usually listen on my commute). But other people seem to love those so ymmv.

I think their weakest episodes are the worst of the previous year episodes, since they are more fresh in their mind, and they always play up their anger more than the average episode. There's a certain joy and energy to the episodes of something they saw a hundred times on cable as kids. Like, The Jerky Boy is perfect WHM material because it's an extremely time and place specific movie that could have only been made in the early nineties, of something as niche as prank phone calls. They have an extra connection to stuff like that, which they don't with recent trash.

I still thought all their Worst of 2017 episodes were really strong though, even if they didn't do Book Of Henry.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Kinda wish they got Maximum Overdrive for LRM instead of this, cause there ton of things in MO they didn't get to discuss on the live episode, while I Will Always Know etc etc is almost devoid of action and excitement.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

I love how "Ghosts Can't Do It" is forever a film starring Donald Trump, like it was a vehicle for him instead of Bo Derek.

Also, Tarzan the Ape Man predictably destroyed them. This is a great episode.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Fart City posted:

I canít believe someone made a Tarzan boner movie.

Well...

Maybe I guess I can believe it a lot.

I fully support seeking it out, even if the WHMers warned against it.

It's one of those once in a lifetime movies that seemed to be made for no one (or one person, in the case of John Derek), and still inexplicably made money.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

People wanted to see Bo Derek's boobs again after 10, and the internet didn't exist yet

That's true, but it's also such an uncomfortable and slow film I can't imagine walking out of the theater without wanting your money back.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Shrek directed by Aleksei German is something I didn't know I wanted before I listened to this episode.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

I am curious: what's everyone's favourite episodes of the last two years? When everyone brings up favourite episodes it's usually the older ones, but I want to know which of the newer ones you all appreciate too.

Personally, Hard To Kill (Segal being obsessed with catching the Oscars, Coma Cat), Traces Of Red (The Affordable Pizza Act) and The Bye Bye Man are some of the ones I have gotten the most joy out of.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Even though they are really down on the Hellraiser films, I kinda want to watch them now. At least the first three. It's a franchise that passed me by.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

They are pivoting to youtube so they can try to steal Red Letter Media's fanbase.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Slavoj Zizek Andrew Jupin checks in from the WHM office on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5wspfSiGnY

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

What are people requesting for Listener Request Month? Almost Forgot about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Dick Cheney wanting Bush to spit into his mouth got me.