Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
The guys ruined 'Martha' for me, which I'd forgotten is quite a lovely Tom Waits song. Also 'Martha My Dear'.
The bird story in Kindergarten Cop 2 is obviously based on Rainbow Fish, which bugged me as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://splitsider.com/2015/11/that-time-gallagher-displayed-his-true-awfulness-and-then-stormed-out-on-marc-maron/

quote:

Oh sure, Gallagher has made millions and was on television regularly for decades, but in his mind he deserved tens of millions of dollars and his own late night television show. Gallagher’s monstrous and deluded ego won’t accept anything less than a David Letterman or Jay Leno level of fame, success, and money as his rightful due. I mean, he did smash all those loving watermelons, right? What do you think he did that for, his loving health? No, he did it so your moron son will fork over his cash for a t-shirt and a CD and your dumb slut of a daughter would give him a hand job after the show, as is his due (I don’t think your son’s a moron and your sister’s a slut, but Gallagher sure does, and he isn’t too keen on you, either).

Gallagher truly hates his audience. Over the course of writing a book about Insane Clown Posse I attended four of their notorious yearly festivals of arts and culture and the only time I ever felt unsafe was during Gallagher’s racist, sexist, and homophobic performance, where he sprayed contempt on the audience along with watermelon fragments and bursts of rotten mustard.

Gallagher hates his audience, he hates a world that has given him so much, and that in turn he has given so little, but perhaps more than anything he hates himself, so he tries to cover up that understandable, eminently justified self-loathing by professing to be better than everyone and everything he comes across.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I liked that. It's nice to know that unlike some geeks who yell at movies they don't have weird, angry opinions about women.

Jack Gladney posted:

He's a comforting and comfortable benign fixture from childhood for a lot of us, like Far Side cartoons or Red Dwarf on PBS. I don't know what an international equivalent would be--Dr. Who? Tintin? Except now he's evil. It's disorienting for us.

Red Dwarf and Doctor Who are both awesome and have both turned evil at some point, but they've always had way more depth than Gallagher. Doctor Who has been politically angry at various points - one showrunner joined to 'overthrow the [Thatcher] government' in the 80s - but it's always been way more humane.

A Peter Capaldi/Gallagher yell-off would be fun.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

After a night of playing Lucio in Overwatch, I randomly listened to the Only the Strong episode, and I need to watch it now. It sounds AWESOME.
But no Eddie Gordo references? Guess the guys only play Mortal Kombat.
Which I just got (the new one), and when my friend kept knowing all the dumb random characters I thought of WHM.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

If you're the former you don't need to "turn into" the latter

Yeah I know tons of hippie stoners and some follow the conspiracy theory rabbit-hole to right-wing crazytown. Or they pull a Robert Anton Wilson and go Libertarian.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I was listening to the Nightmare Beach ep and the Lone Wolf motorcycle story was drowned out by the sound of a motorcycle in real life.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

I think scumbag Stan Lee is my favorite scumbag character of theirs. Is he in anything other than their Centurions review?

Real life? Everywhere?

The guys are more restrained than me - halfway through there's no Robert Smith jokes about this movie about a bunch of goth outcast mutants looking for The Cure.

I watched it instead of going to a writer's festival. I regret it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well the 90s X-Men cartoon was mostly unwatchable nonsense, so I can see that happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

You lie. That taught me about the X-Men.

I'm reading the original Chris Claremont comics now, they're awesome. Storm is amazing.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

I grew up with the early-00s X-Men cartoon where they tried to appeal to the anime crowd by making almost all of the mutants teenagers and turning Nightcrawler into a long-haired bishounen.

I knew a gay couple who had yaoi fanart of that taped to their dorm room door in college.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Chris Sims recapped all the X-Men 90s cartoons on Comica Alliance, hilariously. I loved that show, though it was no BTAS.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

What's that clip where the guy from Silicon Valley auditions to be in the X-Men?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I listened to Blind Fury, and it sounds like that movie was the inspiration for Fruit Ninja but they didn't notice (or care).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I want to see that after drinking as many tall glasses of water as I can handle. But my band's mascot is Krang, so...

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I'm skipping Jupiter Ascending because even tho it wasn't great I wanted to like it, and I can't stand people mocking ambitious weird sci-fi. And if they mock Speed Racer or Sense8 I might stop listening.

I got two giant cardboard standees of Balam Abraxas and Mila Kunis from the theater and put them in my lounge room.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I'm trying to get 'tall glasses of water' to catch on, but it hasn yet. OTOH, 'weed dad' from I Don't Even Own A Television was an instant hit.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

"Fat American Ruins Australia" is the title of volume 2 of my autobiography.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

ghost emoji posted:

I think one of them said they said they would never do a Nothing But Trouble episode, because that would involve rewatching the movie and it's too unsettling.

The Flop House did it with John Oliver.

I mean watched the movie and did an episode on it.
Sounds like a fun horror movie.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Right, that makes more sense. Sorry.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The WHM guys are Mortal Kombat guys, right? So of course they hate Street Fighter, because it doesn't have pointless gore and a zillion stupid characters and a plot that constantly uses the word 'Outworld' in TYOOL 2016.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

You sure made a lot of early judgments without even listening to the first like five minutes of the show there.

I was joking around, my friends keep beating me at MK XL and it's annoying. MK is clearly a better movie than Street Fighter, and the guys encyclopedic MK knowledge is hilarious.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Trivia: Kylie Minogue is a huge pop star in Australia and Britain (and her song with Nick Cave doesn't suck).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I didn't know it until I moved to Australia, and all my Napster Mp3s of Where the Wild Roses Grow were mislabeled with PJ Harvey or Tori Amos' name.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I like telling Australians that Nick Cave is better-known in Australia than Kylie. Indie/alternative cred travels better than pop fame. Or maybe me and my friends were just too gothy.

Kylie was also in Doctor Who, for some reason (probably a meta-joke about Billie Piper starting out as a Kylie wannabe).

Cave's also been in way better movies.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

It's true, though, at least when I was growing up. Cave was on the Scream and X-Files soundtracks, plus he got tons of press and big displays in the bookstores every time he released an album. Men wanted him, men wanted to be him.

Kylie was in the Street Fighter movie.

The guys should do City of Angels, the Nick Cage remake of a Nick Cave movie.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 22, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

My realization that movies can be bad came from watching the Tekken anime.

It's weird - I don't share many reference points with the bad movie podcasts. WHM and The Flop House will spend 10 minutes joking about some TV star I've never heard of but ignore obvious videogame references. But most gaming media is so bad I'll still stick with bad movie podcasts, at least until somebody invents a good bad game podcast.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 22, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Sounds like a movie that Martin Skinemax should review.

Holy poo poo I just made the world's only Buck Bumble joke ('Buck Bumble Should Be in the Humble Bundle').

i'll listen to this, Bonfireside Chat is the only gaming podcast I listen to.

I think Jim Sterling is doing a videogame adaptation podcast.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 22, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

We Hate Movies: Soccer is the anime of sports

I almost bought an anime soccer RPG for the 3DS. It looked fun.

Cyron posted:

i don't want to disrespect a dead legend but i am sure John Belushi wasn't the best to woman too.

i could be wrong, he could of been a huge femanist since i know poo poo about his personal life.

You can't disrespect him any worse than Bob Woodward did in Wired. Have the guys done the movie of that?

Speaking of FAT GHOOOOSTTT, I heard somewhere that Slimer was thought of by Dan Akroyd as John Belushi's ghost, but I can't find a reputable source.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 25, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

GlenMR posted:

Mr. Smith talking about how he really liked that new Mr. Smith movie with Mr. Smith in it.

Dunno if they've seen Doctor Who, but they actually did that but when The Master turned everybody on Earth into him.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WTF? How is it possible to dislike Mega Man X?

I'm beginning to suspect that 3 guys who've seen terrible movies upwards of 20 times may not have the best taste.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Over the weekend I was watching TCM and I caught maybe 75% of a movie where these kids murder people. Their ring leader is a blonde girl and she gets two boys to take a bat to her dads head and make it look like he fell on some stairs. One kid takes a .357 revolver to a couple fuckin in a van. In short, this movie was amazing. Having a hell of a time running down the title of the drat thing!

Is this something up WHMs alley?

Sounds like the Aussie flick Suburban Mayhem.

AMERICAN soccer fans are the anime fans of sports. Everywhere else in the world, they're just the default.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

Another 48 hours must be a real shitfest. They barely spent any time recapping it in an hour and a half podcast taking any excuse to go on a tangent.

Don't they all work in the NYC entertainment industry? He could have a picture of the gang mincing down Christopher Street in full drag for all the good it would do him.

I dunno what the anti-discrimination laws in NYC are like, but I can't imagine firing somebody for their sexuality is legal.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 29, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=686358674836240&id=446117378860372

Fat Ghost is a meme now?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I was kinda annoyed one of them hadn't heard of Phineas Gage. Read an amazing short story about a society of people who deliberately recreated his accident, since it removed their capacity for empathy.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I feel like WHM is reaching the point in a podcast's lifespan where they feel like they have to spend 20 minutes anticipating the responses of randos on twitter and I really hope it ends soon because that poo poo is invariably intolerable.

Maybe they should do research first.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Lady In The Water huh? This should be fun.

There's maybe something to the whole "realizing you're in a fairy tale and having to fulfill certain roles" thing but Shyamalan is no Guillermo Del Toro. Looking forward to the strawman critic getting eaten by a giant wolf.

It's the premise of a few good RPGs like Mage, Changeling, and parts of Unknown Armies. And part of Clive Barker's Weaveworld. Plus life is just more interesting if you act/see everything you do with an overly of a mythic/mystic destiny/archtype.

Movie is probably poo poo but, like the Flop House ep on Mirrors, it'll bug me if they mock the premise too much.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The Happening also has an awesome premise that shows up in a horror novel that Stephen King mentions in Danse Macabre, at least one j-horror movie, and part of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Pity it's wasted on what's apparently a bad movie!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

teen witch posted:

I'm about halfway through the Lady in the Water and I'm excited for the episode and angry that I'm pressing on with it.

Normally I do a quick wiki read-through but I feel that I get a bit more out of podcast by watching it.

I'm naming aliens in No Man's Sky 'scrunts' and 'gleep glorps'. Pretty funny listening to the Star Trek ep while playing it since they have a similar plot.
How harsh are they on Jupiter Ascending? If they mock Speed Racer or Sense 8 too much I probably won't be able to listen.
Maybe I should send in my story about carrying giant cardboard JA standees home and spending a month with Balaam Abraxas watching my lounge room.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 18, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I wanted to defend it because I love trippy sci-fi, but the pacing was off and their wasn't enough weirdness. I loved the Star Fox style dogfight on earth, though. It's not a bad movie by any means.

Speed Racer is one of my favorite movies ever, though, and Sense8 honestly really moved me and may be the best recent thing the Wachowskis have done. I'm so glad it has a second season.

Dmitri-9 posted:

They weren't talented enough to combine space opera and fairy tale. And no one cares about cgi visuals anymore.

Have you read the comic Saga? It does that, it's by their co-writer on Sense8, and it's awesome and everyone loves it. I think the Wachowskis are adapting it.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 21, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Is Dirty Grandpa a real movie? Or are they going to troll everyone by discussing The Greasy Strangler, a horrifically gross and nasty movie I got peer pressured into seeing at a film festival, tried to forget, and then cringed every time WHM mentioned showing it? 'Cause Dirty Grandpa is a good title for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I haven't seen The Greasy Strangler yet, but I am glad someone is still making early John Waters movies

If there's one thing last year taught me, it's that squares still need to be freaked the gently caress out

I saw it at the closing night of a horror film festival, and I think I was the only one grossed out. The crowd loved it. There's an extended hot dog bit that reminded me of WHM, but as a whole its like if Tim & Eric made a disgusting, amoral, filthy, greasy grossout movie. And every time I tried to forget it the guys would plug it.

On an unrelated note, both Santa Claus 3 and Collateral Beauty can be part of the Pier Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality cinematic universe.

The latter movie opens here in 2 days. I may sit through it for the air conditioning.