Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

precision posted:

I've changed my mind, I'm calling in Ocean's Twelve. It's not that it's a "bad" movie, though it arguably very much is, but it's also very entertaining and full of bizarre bullshit that feels like you're watching Ocean's Eleven at the peak of a Robitussin overdose. It's the Infinite Jest of bad movies.

As discussed above, the WHM guys have a deep knowledge of film. They're not going to call a Steven Soderbergh movie 'bad' because it gets a bit meta. I hate people who call anything less realistic than a Christopher Nolan movie 'bad', and WHM are too smart for that.

Check this site for more good, weird movie crit: http://366weirdmovies.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I mean that's just one scene. Even mainstream authors like Stephen King shred the fourth wall. I just can't imagine them pretending Ocean's 12 is bad because it gets a bit playful. I like the odd We Love Movies ep but 12 isn't secretly good or bad, it's just a fun bit of De Palma-lite.

Didn't they briefly talk about how well Collateral Beauty was shot, and mention the cinematographer's credits? They usually talk about how good a movie looks, like Hollow Man.

I Don't Even Own A Television gave WHM a shoutout in the latest episode. They need to team up, do a bad book adaptation!

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 10, 2017

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

Are we really still talking about ads on a free podcast when we could all be discussing how gross and borderline illegal it is for DeNiro to be taking a 'Number 3' in front of of his grandson?
Like, I'm pretty sure your not supposed to jack off in front of your grand children.....it just makes you a...dirty.....grandpa.
I got nothing, I'm just tired of the advertisement talk because yeah.

That's half of Greasy Strangler!

"It's like club culture met beach culture" - that's Sydney's motto! It's the best description of the city.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

kalensc posted:

I would strongly consider going to NYC to watch a live show of the gang playing D&D with a knowledgeable GM.

Stuart Wellington lives in NYC and is a good GM. Flop House/WHM crossover!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

‪My comedian friend just posted a very heartfelt status about Collateral Beauty. Should I link the WHM episode?‬

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

They keep accidentally describing Batman: Assault on Arkham when writing their better Suicide Squad movie.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

My local cult movie night just showed a great WHM candidate, THE LINGUINI INCIDENT. It's a mediocre romantic comedy set in NYC and starring David Bowie and Rosanna Arquette. It's mostly bland but with the attention of 3 New Yorkers who are good at mocking romantic comedies it might be hilarious.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I was listening to the 2nd half of the episode this morning and saw 2 people on Tinder with movie Harley Quinn costumes.

I want to see GODS OF EGYPT before the episode. My little bro loves it, and it sounds like it has amazing visuals, which is all I care about in a movie (gently caress 'plot', it doesn't matter). It sounds like it'd go great with a few tall glasses of water.

Plus I'm Facebook friends with Alex Proyas because Sydney is tiny, and he posted a ton of rants/defenses of the movie. He seemed really hurt by the critical reception, and it's hard not to think of him. Plus I kinda know people who worked on it

Though it was hilarious going to a local occult art exhibition. They had trippy Crowley art and then Proyas' moody black and white photos of naked goth girls.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I'm shocked that a man who produces movies about a womanizing billionaire who lives in a tower with his name on it is a Trump supporter.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...c1939531697a285

Scott Eastwood just made the local news. No mention of Captain Boomerang though.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

When they made the Captain Planet joke I remembered that Katanna was in Geoforce, an even shittier version of The Outsiders.

I haven't seen the movie so in my head Amanda Waller was badass, because she is in the comics and the cartoons.

I used to know a B:TAS era Harley Quinn cosplayer who'd post long LiveJournal articles about her relationship with The Joker.

I feel like the Arkham games deserve some of the blame for the movie.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Vermain posted:

Completely agreed. It flowed so much better and felt far less forced in.

I kept thinking they were talking about Kitana and was sorely disappointed that we didn't get any weird Mortal Kombat impersonations.

Was she in Mortal Kombat vs D.C so we could get that matchup?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Suicide Squad would make a great TV series. You'd have time to explore the relationships between characters and give them a Mission of the Week, and every time an actor leaves you give them a shocking death and bring in another c-list villain. Cast Taraj P Henson (Cookie from Empire) as Amanda Waller and you're set.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

A Meat posted:

I've watched the Scooby-Doo live action movies a like four times each. I guess they were just cheap to acquire, because they were on television very shortly after being in theaters

Didn't James Gunn write the first one?
That's part of why Marvel is successful, they tweak the genre to the characters. Which means I get to watch a zillion dollar acid trip Doctor Strange movie. They would do the Suicide Squad heist movie everyone seems to want. That would be a way to actually do a cinematic universe organically, since the McGuffin could be a chunk of kryptonite or Aquaman's trident or whatever. Something that makes the audience gasp a bit.

I heard part of SS' success was the diversity of its cast, which is one positive thing.

I watched a ton of Spawn and Waterworld as a kid, I kinda like them.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 21, 2017

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Tilda Swinton is completely believable as somebody who doses you with acid and then guides you through the best trip of your life.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Question: Does the Dr. Strange movie ever end up visually resembling the comics, or is it the boring-rear end Inception visuals seen in the trailer the whole way through?

Also nobody in their right mind is disputing that Tilda Swinton is a great actress

It gets proper Ditko trippy in places, yes. At times it resembles a big budget 60s trip movie crossed with Gravity Rush. It's not as psychadelic as the LEGO movie but it's close. I had the same fear the WHM guys had, that my tall glasses of water would wear off before the trailers stopped.

I'd love somebody to cut the trip bits from Doctor Strange and the Slo-Mo sequences from Dredd into the Enter the Void of superheroes.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I like Mystery Men, but the last time I saw it was ages ago. It's a Flaming Carrot spinoff.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

At least we got fantastic Ghost World and American Splendor movies.

Now where's my David Cronenberg Black Hole movie?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Did Pick's Bee Movie thread on this board kick off its craze? Because it's the first time I saw people talking about it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The bad movie night I go to just showed Prayer of the Rollerboys, a Corey Haim movie about a gang of young, rollerblading white supremacists. It would have been hilarious a year ago, now it just looks like Richard Spencer & Milo, But Wearing Capes & Rollerblading, so I didn't call it in.

Other WHM candidates from that movie night: Tanya's Island, where Prince's girlfriend Vanity fucks an ape, and The Linguini Incident, a bizarre little New York romcom with David Bowie & Rosanna Arquette.

The rest are the usual 50s b-movies that everyone used to mock. WHM tends to go for more 80s & 90s cheese that I haven't heard of.

I skipped the GODS OF EGYPT episode because I still want to watch the movie, people I know said it's fun, I know people who worked on it, and the director seemed really hurt by it's critical reception. Plus I heard it's really trippy and cool looking.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

That must have been an uncomfortably quiet 90 minutes.

Everyone laughed at the crazy fashions & rollerblades & stuff, and even at the over the top 'Day of the Rope' speech. I just looked for a clip, and apparently the phrase came from The Turner Diaries. But the crowd I was with thought it was just terrible 90s post-apocalyptic cheese...I'm probably reading too much into scenes of nationalistic speeches in front of American flags, or a plot about a Corey trying to keep his brother from joining a hate group that recruits kids, or a boss fight against a camp blonde muscleman.
It's a shame, 'cause it really is gloriously cheesy drama, and it's got lots of great vaporwave style shots of sunsets and stuff. I dunno, I'm probably just politicizing stuff.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The guys who run my cult movie night love showing creepy movies - Human Animals, some 70s or 80s one about adult babies, etc. It's weird seeing them in a group of people. I guess you get bored watching bad horror movies.

Neil Hamburger was just in town again, and I was wondering why the guys keep imitating him (WH-ATS the deal with?). Just a random comedy in-joke?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 15, 2017

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

If they do Seagal they should get Outlaw Vern on as a guest, he literally wrote the book on him.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I have him added on facebook, he basically lost his mind when the movie bombed.

e: He honestly seems like kind of a dick and I ended up unfollowing his posts because he just kept posting total nonsense hot-takes on the US election

I unfollowed Alex Proyas for the same reason, but I didn't share the Gods of Egypt episode because we have 20 mutual friends & I didn't want to start a weird feud.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 15, 2017

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I haven't seen it but wasn't The Third Man about a Fat Spy?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I dunno, I hate it when bad movie podcast hosts think Last Airbender is an accurate representation of the awesome Avatar cartoon.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Squallege posted:

Maybe next time Donnie Darko...

Donnie Dario is awesome, and Equilibrium is pretty good. The weirdest bit is getting Christian Bale, a guy who's speciality is playing emotionless creeps, as a guy who needs to have emotions.
I saw a review of John Wick 2 talking about its Gun-Kata, a phrase I'd only heard from Equilibrium.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I've got my tweets ready to go...I loved the show.
Weird how everyone complains about the exposition in the movie when the cartoon sets up everything in the intro to every episode.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I'm surprised Nickolodeon didn't take the franchise away from M.Night and give it to another director. The cartoon still had enough goodwill.

I know they said to put my tweet down, BUT I WILL NOT PUT MY TWEET DOWN, SIR!

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 7, 2017

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Didn't the first Scooby Doo movie have James Gunn writing it? Apparently the Josie & the Pussycats movie is smart satire with a good soundtrack... I know the AV Club loved it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The first TMNT movie was more based on the comics... I saw Brendan McCarthy, designer of Fury Road, give a talk and he talked about making the suits.

Masters of the Universe isn't great, but it's a perfectly fun b-movie with Frank Langella as Skelator.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

All I know is I tried to watch this movie once and quit at Fatcore. It's nice to know that seems to be the threshold of madness

AHEM his (or her?) name is Appa & they're the best flying water buffalo friend a boy could have! I dunno what a Falco is, is that from the 80s movie pop punk bands always put on shirts?

Last Guardian but with Appa! I dunno how Platinum screwed up the Airbender game.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

DEATHGASM!
Do you like Evil Dead and metal? You're posting on SA about movies; so probably. So watch DEATHGASM.

And early Peter Jackson.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

duz posted:

Stand-up comedian Neil Hamburger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNHkmFDBfI

I produced a community radio show for a bit. Somebody knocks on the door, says 'it's me, Greg', in a normal voice. 'Who?' I ask. 'Sigh. Neil Hamburger', in the voice. In walks a schlubby dude in sweatpants, t-shirt, normal hair. Looked like a music journalist or something. Watching Neil Hamburger's voice come out of a normal looking body in the recording was weird, but I guess he wasn't gonna dress up for a Saturday radio interview.

He plays in Sydney a ton, knows a friend of mine... should I tell him about WHM?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Fart City posted:

Kind of hope they do Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance some time. Not only is it a baaaaaad movie, but Nicholas Cage and Christopher Lambert share scenes together in what can only be described as a "ham sandwich Thunderdome of acting."

Anyone who thinks Idris Elba can't play Roland the Gunslinger should watch him somehow be a charismatic badass in a Ghost Rider sequel.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Is the Nexus just that scene in Breaking Bad with Badger & Skinny Pete riffing on Trek in podcast form?

Any random scene from Pacific Rim had more care put into it than a hundred of these movies.

I haven't seen Ultraviolet, but a date did drag me to see the latest Underworld, which had several of the same plot points. But it had Bill Nighy, who I know from The World's End (better movie!).

weekly font posted:

Accidentally watching Aeon Flux instead would have some how been a blessing.

Aeon Flux is a really beautiful movie, really surreal, and Furiosa is great in it. I love the razor grass.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 22, 2017

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Cum Town is a pretty popular podcast, maybe WHM should do a Cum Heist and steal their audience.

Isn't there a decent British vampire TV series called Ultraviolet?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I mean if we were being purists, all vampires would have to be bloated gross Eastern-european zombies whose only real superpower was coming out of their grave every night and being hard to kill.

The thing that bothers me is the inevitable scene in every vampire movie where they explain how the vampires work and heap bizarre amounts of scorn on people believing the things that don't work. "They can't cross running water and they can turn into bats, but crosses do NOTHING and they CAN'T hypnotize you, YOU IDIOT"

The scene in Preacher where Cassidy does this to a bunch of Anne Rice vamps was cool when I was 13.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Bill Nighy's coming to Sydney for the premiere of his new BAFTA-bait film. So WHM in-joke question or The World's End in-joke?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

weekly font posted:

If Bibs gets red and naked online over movie podcasts missing plot points I hope he's never listened to How Did This Get Made or he'd go Scanners.

I tried listening to 2 episodes of that and the willful stupidity was so overwhelming that I switched to the Flophouse and WHM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Chris Sims has been recapping the original show and Japanese original is pretty gritty in that anime way.