Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

clown shoes posted:

I requested the 1986 family classic Mr. Boogedy. It's 46 minutes long.

I watched that on Disney+ while very drunk, and it was quite the experience. Lots and lots of weird ghost poo poo, and great episode material.

My WHM request pick was Cool as Ice, and for WLM I went with Eraserhead. Also wrote in Jocasta Nu, the Jedi librarian, for Gleep Glossary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

painynumbs posted:

Uncut Gems WAS funny, I don’t know why they’re bitching about people laughing in the theater; Eric said he laughed at Once upon a time in hollywood

I dunno, it depends on the situation. Dumb teens giggling through the most horrific parts of Hereditary could definitely kill the atmosphere that movie's building up, but Uncut Gems was incredibly loving funny in a way that felt intentional. The rear end tattoo scene is probably the hardest I laughed at a movie last year.

E: And the sexting! My god, the sexting.

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 6, 2020

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Duckula posted:

I'm still recovering from trying to watch A Letter from Death Row.

Same, but for Tarzan The Ape Man. To date probably the single worst movie I've watched because of this show, if not period.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
One of the very first ones I listened to, and probably the one that got me hooked, was the episode for the Entourage movie. RIPD Goober!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rageaholic posted:

Should I rewatch the Pirates movies before these episodes? The last one I saw was At World's End in theaters in like 2007.

My plan right now is to rewatch the first 3; I haven't seen 4 since theaters but I remember it being pretty bad so I don't know if it's really worth revisiting. At least the bad stuff in 1-3 is entertainingly weird. 5 is definitely an improvement over 4 but not all that worth seeking out.

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 4, 2020

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

teen witch posted:

I’m 20ish min into The Ring Patreon episode and please, please, in this hell timeline, the David Lynch bits obliterate me every time. I’d love a few Lynch films.

Agreed 100% - I think Lost Highway or Blue Velvet would both make fantastic episodes.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

jojoinnit posted:

It's fantastic and I'll never understand how anybody couldn't like it

Admittedly I haven't seen it since theaters, but I remember it just feeling like a bunch of fun but forgettable skits and cameos without any real narrative thrust behind them. Brolin's character was kind of thin, and his debate on whether or not to leave Hollywood never really felt that consequential. It's probably my least favorite of the Coens, but to be fair that's still a lot better than most people can even dream of doing.

Actually, the more I think about it, the movie might have worked a lot better as a Buster Scruggs-style anthology of smaller stories taking place at the studio. Then the lack of a through-line might not have felt like such a missed opportunity.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm going to admit it. I kinda like Scooby-Doo, it's not a good movie. It's not a movie that I want to watch often, but about once a decade, with friends, it's nice to have on.

At the very least, it's not a movie that coasts on its established name - I watched it for the first time a little while ago and had heard about the twist regarding the main villain going in, but there is still so much bonkers poo poo this movie pulls that I was honestly kind of riveted. Great cast, too.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Iron Crowned posted:

"All hail Paymon!" Got the biggest laugh out of me in a long time

That was fantastic, and I was also losing it at Brimley v. Jigsaw.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

thrawn527 posted:

Didn't WB just announce they were fast tracking WW3? I'd say announcing the death of her career is premature.

I don't think anyone's saying that's for sure going to happen with Jenkins, but there's definitely precedent for other female directors with careers on the rise that are ruined by one flop.

Huego posted:

Men on the internet so worked up about Ethics in Offscreen Body Swap Hookups that none of them seem to have noticed the literal attempted rape scene lol. Personally I think it would be cool to have a "girl power" comic book movie without a man trying to rape a woman in it. That would feel empowering, to me.

That part was definitely a sour note, especially coming more or less right after the slapstick robbery scene which feels like it was made for 8-year-olds.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If it's a shallow reading, then it matches the movie perfectly. WW84 is the most obvious example of "Ehh gently caress it, let's just shoot the first draft of the script, who cares" in a long time.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pops Mgee posted:

Commando is good because it’s Stephen’s first time seeing it, same with Sucker Punch but it’s Jupin’s first time I think.

Oh yeesh, doing the Sucker Punch commentary was rough, only because I had to watch Sucker Punch. Justice League is probably my favorite of the commentaries I've listened to, but the Rambomentary is also a lot of fun.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I rewatched Falling Down the other day and now I wish I had before the LRM deadline - I think that movie would make an amazing episode, and I honestly don't know whether I'd call it a WHM or WLM.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

It was mentioned in this thread when they announced it, but it really is one of the all time greats. That's not an exaggeration.

I don't know that it's my personal favorite Scorsese, but I think it probably is his masterpiece - just a brilliantly made movie in every way that really exemplifies who he is as an artist.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
All four of the hosts have actually rated the Snyder cut on letterboxd, so we have a semi-definitive ranking of who enjoyed it the most!

Eric gave it 1 star, Chris gave it 1.5, Steve gave it 2, Andrew gave it 2.5

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rageaholic posted:

Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is great but I'm not sure he had another good one in him after that.

As someone who adores Watchmen the comic and really does not care for Zack Snyder's style, I honestly think his Watchmen movie is not nearly as bad as it could have been. The cast is great, and while I think the movie looks a bit too artificial/CG-heavy on the whole Snyder gets enough right that I don't have that big a problem with it.

Sucker Punch and 300 are both pure garbage, though, and the rest of his work I'm pretty indifferent on, all the DCEU stuff included (not counting Dawn of the Dead, which I haven't seen).

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Eric revealed on Letterboxd that May's WLM is going to be Escape from New York!

I'm pumped for it, this is one I've always meant to watch but just never got around to.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Invalid Validation posted:

Funny how much they poo poo on comic book and video game movies but when it’s The Simpsons they have a lot of love for they don’t talk nearly enough poo poo about it.

Very weird of the WHM boys to complain less about something they enjoy! Also, come on, everyone shits on video game movies, and in the vast majority of cases they're right to.

Anyway, as a Simpsons nut I dug this episode and enjoyed the behind-the-scenes stuff about the movie's production that got sprinkled in, but agree that it sort of felt like a stealth WLM (WLT?) for The Simpsons. It has convinced me to give Talking Simpsons a shot, though!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

GoutPatrol posted:

colbert starting goblin vomiting all over the studio

Not his fault, his guest was a hobbit

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I laughed way too hard at American History Eggs

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

enigmahfc posted:

The gang (mainly Andrew) have this weird thing about movies being 'sexless' but then instantly making fun of a movie if it is horny.
Also, if a movie ends up too 'sexy', i'm sure they call that out too. It's a bit, really, but it's a weird one.

I don't really see any contradiction here. They're not saying that every movie should be a horny gently caress-fest, but that adult human beings have sex and it's a little weird that most mainstream films don't even acknowledge this.

enigmahfc posted:

Like Marvel movies.....

Marvel movies are PG-13, so they could easily get away with more than they do if Disney wanted them to. Like the first Iron Man, which acknowledges that human beings have sex!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Timeless Appeal posted:

Andrew's been a bit of a grump about 2021 movies. His Cruella hate makes me shake my head every time.

He's entirely correct in his hate for Woman in the Window, that was one of the biggest duds I've seen in a while.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

dorium posted:

No one who is complaining about marvel movies went to see Spencer this weekend (pulled in 3 mill) and will definitely be waiting for it to hit steaming,

Hey, I did see Spencer last weekend! I'm gonna do so much complaining about Marvel movies now

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

dorium posted:

I dislike playing ads straight. They should be played for laughs at all time.

Agreed, which is why I think Eric's ad reads are my favorite, he fucks around with them the most.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Chris serenading the Baileys with "My Neck, My Back" is one of my all-time favorite bits from the show.

E: Even if the WLM episodes are sometimes a little hit or miss, I like them as an excuse to revisit classics I haven't seen in a while or check out great movies I haven't gotten to yet. Listening to the guys chat about them afterward just sweetens the deal!

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 20, 2021

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

clown shoes posted:

what movie is that?

Dear Evan Hansen

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Sorry, Chris is right, Burly Brawl is way better shot/more interesting than basically all MCU action scenes. The CGI hasn't aged the best, but there's less of it than you remember and it honestly doesn't look much worse than the final fight in Black Panther, where two digital puppets punch each other in a video game level.

(Although, to that movie's credit, I think the South Korea sequence is one of the better action set-pieces in a Marvel movie.)

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

enigmahfc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSprkzio_pE

It legit looks like a cut scene from a PS3 game. This is trash. This is dog poo poo.

I cannot take the opinion of someone seriously when then defends this. I am sorry.

It's like people who defend the Star Wars prequels but then poo poo on Last Jedi. It's a good way to tell whose opinion is disconnected from reality.

But, you know; opinions vary and it's okay to like a movie and blah blah blah

Again, nobody's saying the 2003 CGI still holds up, it clearly doesn't. But in terms of how the action's choreographed and filmed, this is still way more memorable and dynamic then most of what gets made now! Plus, there's like 3 minutes of fighting before this clip that's mostly practical/wire-work.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

enigmahfc posted:

I know there are a bunch of people who love the new M4trix, but I honestly feel it was one of the worst of the year,

Yeah this is like your sixth post about how bad Resurrections was. That movie's not perfect but at least its ambitions felt creative and inspired. It felt like the main motivation for Eternals was to prove that a Marvel movie can be Important Cinema, and in that regard it's a colossal failure. I don't know if it's quite as bad as Space Jam, but it's one of the most dull, draining movies I've seen in a long time.

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 20, 2022

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

That makes zero sense. Pixar movies and related merchandise make Disney a poo poo ton of money so it makes no sense to intentionally tank a movie because it's not from Disney Animation Studios. Turning Red is getting dumped on D+ because it looks like total dogshit.

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but it honestly does seem like Disney is kinda trying to keep new Pixar movies out of the spotlight. From Soul onward, all the Pixar releases have been Disney+ only, while Disney's released a bunch of other animated movies in theaters. It's a weird move considering how crucial Pixar movies are to the company at this point.

I've only seen a couple brief trailers for Turning Red, and it looked fine. Good enough to not just dump on streaming, at least.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Marvel movies have been really bad for a while now and they’re finally sick of them, rightfully so. They’re not even movies anymore, they’re soulless products designed to just get you to line up for next pile of slop.

Yeah, as someone who enjoyed a lot of MCU movies early on, since Endgame especially it feels like they've really run out of juice. I don't think there's any need to be gentle and considerate when critiquing the biggest blockbusters in the world, especially when it seems like they've realized they can just coast on fan-service/brand familiarity and everyone will still buy tickets.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, I'm honestly glad the show has expanded to cover movies that are pretty good but still fun to joke around with. Maybe that's me being selfish as someone who likes to watch along with the show, but it's nice to not be watching the absolute worst crap every week!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I don't know if it will be my pick, but someone ought to call in Doug's First Movie for Listener Request Month.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
They didn't do it that long ago, but I'd love it if they did a recorded National Treasure ep at some point since the live one was lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Can't wait to listen to the Black Adam episode. It's a worse movie than Morbius, imo. That was at least bizarrely entertaining, this is....drywall.

Agreed - Morbius at least had shirtless vampire Matt Smith doing a goofy dance, Black Adam is just dull as dirt.

Made for a great WHM episode, though!