Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Brocktoon posted:

Speaking of pants-making GBS threads stories, aren't we overdue for April's Mailbag?

You're in luck!

https://www.whmpodcast.com/2016/04/whm-mail-bag-peein-at-arcade-dirty.html?m=1

And right from the start we are already at a code red "put the email down, sir" situation. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

DrVenkman posted:

The problem with Woodward's WIRED is that people just took it as gospel and came away thinking that's what Belushi was like. The thing is, Woodward isn't actually incorrect; events happen in the way he tells them. He just either doesn't put things into context or seems to completely misconstrue what people have told him.

This piece, from a Belushi biographer, is actually a pretty good look at it: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/03/bob_woodward_and_gene_sperling_what_woodward_s_john_belushi_book_can_tell.html

Basically the writer takes someone who already had a sensational life and sensationalizes it further, because I guess otherwise people wouldn't want to read about the life story of one of the greatest comedians of his time.

Now I want them to watch The Babe Ruth Story biopic, which is the opposite extreme as Wired, and involves Babe healing a paralyzed child.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Corek posted:

That's unusual because John Goodman did a Babe Ruth biopic which is almost as negative as Wired, although it admits Ruth was good at what he did.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-babe-1992

The Babe Ruth Story makes more sense when you realize that it was quickly thrown together when the real Babe Ruth was hospitalized with cancer. The biopic even has a hopeful ending where the doctors discover a new treatment to try out and it ends with a "You know, maybe, just maybe, things will be okay after all." (Babe Ruth died less than one month after the movie was released)

I imagine that the unsavory aspects of Babe's life were ignored because, you know, cancer patient, but the movie is still pretty absurd in how far it goes in the opposite direction. Like, as far as the biopic is concerned, Babe Ruth only got married once. His first IRL wife just doesn't exist; she isn't even given a passing mention.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Gyges posted:

So, now I'm really tempted to call in Wolf Cop next listener request time.

They've talked before about their hatred of the Troma-style of intentionally bad and cheesy movies. I wonder if they'd be up to doing an episode of Wolf Cop or something along those lines so they could get that particular monkey off their chests.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 30, 2016

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

MariusLecter posted:

Well, to answer a question with a question, are anime fans the worst?

Soccer fans are the anime fans of sports fans.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
The hamster story makes me glad my parents were a bunch of bleeding hearts and every pet that died in our house had a little funeral that I was present for. Even the fish.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Guy Mann posted:

Their bit about IMDB crediting fan films and crappy YouTube shows alongside actual movies and TV shows really hit home when I looked up Danny Elfman and a disgusting amount of his page was people who stole his music for their video series trying to promote themselves.

To be fair those are almost certainly added by obsessive fans rather than the creators themselves.
A few of the creators I follow have in the past made fun of their weird fan-created IMDB pages with their often hilariously overestimated budgets. I think at one point Allison Pregler was listed as having an estimated budget of $10,000.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 30, 2016

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Baka-nin posted:

Don't worry, there's a shockingly high number of horror films that spawned bloated franchises with both insane and pitiful sequels. Off the top of my head there's Hellraiser which I'm sure they've mentioned on a few episodes, The Howling (Crossover with werewolves and things?), Romero's of the dead films, that one with the killer puppets (the puppet master?) there were like six of them they even had a Freddy versus Jason style crossover. Oh and Tremors those last are particularly horrifying. :rimshot:

Not to mention the Witchcraft series, which went 13 movies strong, and slowly devolved from an entertaining mid-budget schlock-fest to full-on shot on shitteo.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have seen parts of the Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer animated tv movie more than I would care to count.

That'd be worth requesting if not for the fact that it'd be weird to do a Christmas movie in whatever month they're doing Listener Request Month on this year

It's still worth requesting. Even if they don't pick it because it's not seasonally appropriate they have said that listener requests do sometimes inform their movie choices for regular episodes.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
For some reason until now I had it in my head that Last Man Standing was primarily a show about a man with only daughters, and the hijinks that ensue. Like "uh oh! He tries to teach his daughters to play football but gets roped into a tea party!" stuff. Not some weird proto-Alex Jones conservative propaganda poo poo. I even have distinct memories of the advertising playing up the oops-all-daughters angle.

I feel like I just Sliders-d into an alternate universe. :psyduck:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Calaveron posted:

What movie/episode was the one where Andrew goes if you can find orcs in <movie> I'll loving go down on you and Eric Szyszka gets all flustered

Dungeons & Dragons, I believe.