Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hockles posted:

Something that I thought of while watching the movie... Were they trying to make "STATION" the next "Cowabunga" catchphrase? Was it already a thing during that time?

I can tell you from experience that "STATION" was definitely a thing in the tiny child demo at the time. My friends and I watched this at a slumber party and cracked ourselves up with our super-cool in-joke for months afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what was that even about?

Johnny Depp is a gentleman detective who vaguely investigates a mystery while Goop follows him around and complains about his mustache.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Max Landis is like the human version of those exclamation-point-riddled tumblr screenshots where kids who don't read much blow each other's minds with symbolic interpretations of children's media.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BexGu posted:

I just wish the movies expanded more on that she grew up with the stories of what a Jedi could do. Luke didn't and had to learn/be shown but if the movie established Rey had a full idea of the poo poo Luke had been pulling off in the last 30 years it would make a ton more sense. Like just adding in a extra bit to "Were the legends true" line to be something like "Were the legends true? The Jedi Mind Trick, Force powers?". That way when Rey starts reading Ben Solo mind/using the Jedi Mind Trick its just apart of her realizing she is a Jedi/experimenting instead of Oh she is a master now.

I listen to a podcast that made a great point about this very complaint, how it's actually a good thing when a movie lets you make some connections yourself instead of spoonfeeding the audience everything. It's called "We Hate Movies" but... get this... they actually love movies and have lots of smart things to say about them. You should check it out!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

kalensc posted:

I hope Jupiter Ascending makes the list, I love it when they rip into ridiculous incoherent movies like I, Frankenstein and Matrix 3 and all that.

Jupiter Ascending really deserves its own episode. It's kind of fun to watch that movie (with a tall glass of water) and just append "space" to anything you see on screen. Space werewolf flying around on space rollerblades. Gotta climb the space ladder to escape the space mine on space jupiter. Space wedding.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Gobbler is my favorite, especially since they always pair him with a Spielberg who's just one of their normal voices.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

When is next Listener Request Month? Because goddamn I hate Smoking Aces and Netflix just reminded me that not only did that movie exist, but it got a lovely direct to DVD sequel.

Please tell me it's called Smoking Deuces.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Indolent Bastard posted:

You are correct, but for the current discussion changing the popularly accepted definition of a Mary Sue.

UM excuse me but how could Indolent Bastard pedal backwards so fast if he's never used the force before???? TROPE FOUND: Mary Sue

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Pallbearer is a classic just for Cloudy, David Schwimmer's depression rain cloud who hates him

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

fatherboxx posted:

I think they are on the money by guessing that "My buddy, President Kevin James" was some unproduced idea that got pushed into Pixels.

Due to poor life choices I happen to have insight into Happy Madison's entire catalog of unproduced ideas, and I strongly suspect that a lot of Kevin James's gags in this movie were borrowed from a script they're sitting on called First Husband, about the improbably hot female President (Beyonce was approached for this role, but she laughed them out of the room) and her oafish manchild of a spouse, Adam Sandler. It was supposed to be in production now so the release could cash in on Hilary's presidential run, but it keeps getting delayed because Adam "doesn't think it's realistic." Not the world leader married to an idiot in a ratty Jets t-shirt part, but the female president part.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DangerDummy! posted:

I get a feeling you're going to make for a fascinating interview some day.

It may also interest you to know they have a script for a remake of Food Fight.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hockles posted:

Are you Rob Schneider / David Spade?

Nah just a mid-level film development nobody. Happy Madison is heavily scrutinized and universally loathed where I am (also: everywhere), so it's easy to get the dirt. For instance, the real reason Rob Schneider left the fold for a while is because good ol' buddy Sandler insisted on paying all his besties scale for appearing in Grown Ups, which made more money than any just god would allow. Sequel time rolls around, Schneider says "hey how about giving us a fair cut" and Sandler acts like he murdered his mom and refuses to even speak to him for years.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I could listen to stories of Sandler being a huge piece of poo poo for hours. You should send your best tales into the mailbag.

I've been debating it, but :effort:

Those are the main things I know about Sandler anyway. Well, that and how he orders the VFX people to digitally shrink his nipples anytime he has a shirtless scene.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ahh poo poo I forgot my favorite one of all: They had to do extremely expensive re-shoots of Joe Dirt 2 because when they were cutting it all together they realized they didn't get a single shot of the female lead's face. Just boobs and lower.

Oh and Ridiculous 6 was delayed because they were scheduled to start shooting in the high desert of New Mexico in February and not a single person involved with the production, not one, knew that it could snow in the desert.

And Adam, who also has digital double-chin reduction in most of his films, almost fired the girl who played Lady Lisa in Pixels because she was "too fat."

Early in my career I had a run-in with these people that instilled such a hatred of them in me that my friends have been bringing me Happy Madison dirt ever since. I think that is everything I know though. I'll be sure to pop back in if I remember more.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hockles posted:

Probably not, but it is a new addition to the "two almost identical movies come out within a couple months of each other" list.

White House Down / Olympus has Fallen
Deep Impact / Armageddon
Dante's Peak / Volcano
etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_films

It's fun to scan this list and see how many films jump out as the obviously better one, sometimes to the point where I forgot or didn't realize the other film had even been made. What's especially weird for me is I worked (tangentially) one one of these films, and not only is it not the winner of its pairing, its twin ended up being one of my favorite films in its genre of all time.

And lol wtf is Jungle Book: Origins. Is it too early to make a request for Worst of 2017?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...did they miss a good chunk of Deadpool? It seems like they didn't catch most of the explanation of what Ajax and Wade's beef with each other is.

They do that a lot, I remember a similar gap in their Spectre episode. I imagine we have tall glasses of water to blame.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm getting a little tired of them suggesting that a female character be killed to motivate the male character. They're generally pretty great about poking fun at sexism instead of supporting it, but the problem with "fridging" female characters seems to be a blind spot with them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah I just listened to this, and their Oscar episode, so that's a nice double-bill of dubious opinions.

I didn't love DEADPOOL, but I did think that just making it simple and low-stakes completely worked in its favour. You don't need anything bigger than that, you don't need a conspiracy or some grand overarching plot. It kind of reminds me of the Marvel Netflix stuff, where it's a lot more just grounded (For a comic book movie). I also think that making his girlfriend be as filthy and as funny as him was refreshing (Even the damsel in distress stuff doesn't hold seeing as she gets herself out of it) but they seemed to take it as nerd pandering.

I do agree the villain was a whole lot of nothing though, and if it's going to be that bland then just get someone who can bring some personality to the table.

I thought it was kind of cute they interpreted the "Did I make you with my computer?" line as a super obscure reference to Weird Science specifically, that only ultra-nerds would get, instead of being a pretty common idea in fiction even after the eighties. I doubt too many millennials were walking out the theater going "but what did that MEAN??"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TetsuoTW posted:

I think its weird you wouldn't read it as a Weird Science reference actually.

I read it as a reference to Weird Science and many other movies/tv shows/whatevers with similar plots, and part of my point was that Weird Science itself is hardly obscure ultra-nerd reference territory.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

That was the finale of Star Trek Enterprise

Are you serious

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Count Chocula posted:

My ex dragged me to that at a film fest; I didn't enjoy it but she said it's because my tastes were different and it didn't fit my aesthetic, which is fair. He's still influential on art and fashion, and an episode on him would probably turn into a 'sneer at hipsters' fest.

The guys work in creative fields in NYC and are no strangers to whimsical facial hair. I don't think they see hipsters as the threateningly foreign enemy goons do.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tomahawk posted:

So at this point WHM has accidentally predicted Jim Belushi in Twin Peaks and kind of Burton World (http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/25/tim-burton-bar-beetle-house)

What else?

Is tempting fate the same as predicting it?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I got the 8. I love their star trek impressions. Is there an easy way to move episodes from Patreon to my podcasts app? I don't want to have to download mp3s and put them in the music app like it's pioneer times or something.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BlameSpacePod posted:

Also dudes, if you're in Los Angeles, we added a 2nd show to the Hollywood Improv on BATMAN & ROBIN.
If you've got tickets for the 8 PM on Suburban Commando, check your email for a half off promo code.
http://hollywood.improv.com/event.cfm?cart&id=465189

Yaayy. I was so sad I didn't get my act together to buy tickets to the first show in time. This movie was for some bizarre reason one of my favorites as a kid, so I can't wait.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd like a few episodes of that proposed podcast "I'll tell ya what you're wasting yer money on!" from way way back. I feel like I'd learn so much.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

enigmahfc posted:

Hey, those near 15 seconds can make or break a person's day.

It's more like eight minutes a lot of the time. That's longer than a TV commercial break. It's not exactly arduous to hit the skip ahead button on my podcast app, but there's definitely room for improvement there. That said, I do appreciate that they don't do mid-episode commercial breaks, which would be harder to skip.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I'm really not sure why I ever liked How Did This Get Made. The theme song is the worst but the whole show is amateur hour and probably I just liked hearing Raffi curse.

Me too. I definitely did love it a year or two ago, but it just got worse and worse. It's almost all live episodes now, which means terrible audio quality and constant pandering to the crowd, and once they all settled into gimmicks it just meant they'd make the same joke over and over again. Mantzoukas is an obnoxious pervert, June has a head injury, and Scheer is a human :psyduck:. The Fast & Furious episodes were my favorite, but about five minutes into the 7th one June tries to pretend she doesn't remember having seen any of the others, and I was just done. A bad movie podcast doesn't work if you act like you're too good for the movies.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Three Men and a Baby has the saga of the morally-conflicted doorman. "Are they really your best friends, Joe? Boy I gotta get a life outside of doormanning."

The Pallbearer has Cloudy, David Schwimmer's personal raincloud who hates him.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm one of those people who can't tell their voices apart so any combo suits me just fine. I do enjoy when Disaster Movie Expert Justin J. Case finds time in his busy schedule to lend the gang the benefit of his decades of scholarship.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I'm still not sure how anyone gets them confused. Andrew has a bit of a radio voice, Steve is the nerdy lispy one, and Eric's really dry and reedy. They all have different cadences. The only time I get mixed up is when they all do the same impression but that doesn't really matter in that instance.

Yes, I can hear three distinct voices but they're all on the same spectrum (not as wildly different as, say, June, Paul, and Jason on HDTGM) they don't say each other's names often enough for me to remember who's who. I'm going to see them live tomorrow so maybe it'll click then.

Bolingbroke posted:

If you're struggling to tell the guys' voices apart, try watching a video of them: https://youtu.be/cf6wOI2cKUk

Putting a face to the voice really helps. I couldn't tell them apart for months but after watching that vid it's no problem at all and they sound completely distinct.

This does help, although it's also kind of unsettling. Seeing the movie posters reminded me of another thing I like about the guys though - off-duty they all have great taste in movies and have seen all the classics. You never get the sense that's true with the braying crowdwork trio.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 21, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crocobile posted:

Who's going to the show tonight? I bought tickets for both shows though I might miss part of the 8pm one. :/ Ive never been to the Hollywood Improv so who knows what kinda parking/traffic hell I've gotten myself into.

If one of you sees a white girl with glasses, white shoes and dark hair tied up in a mint green scrunchie say "hi I'm from the Internet" and I'll resist the urge to throw sand in your eyes and run away.

Traffic probably won't be terrible but pay for valet parking. It's not that much, and it'll make life so much easier. If you're not coming from far away I'd seriously suggest taking a cab. They also might not let you into the first show if you're late, so be prepared for that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Not sure how I feel about Steve's new "spit on the audience" gag. Prop comedy's a weird turn for a podcast to take.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, what happened?

Haha Steve, apparently for the second time that night, completely forgot how to drink water mid-swig and choked on it before spitting it on the front two rows.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah the wives were hawking posters, which was pretty adorable.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They're the ones who did the bit about a bunch of guys in a bar getting together to rank actresses, right? And the club leader kept getting mad that everybody was listing weird retro choices? I want a special patreon episode of those guys' podcast.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Eric is a lot like Norm McDonald in that he has this impeccable, incredibly precise timing, dryness and deadpan attitude that I don't think there's ever been a joke of his that didn't land.

That's both totally true and makes me realize just how impressive the humor on this show is, because what you said is kind of like "Eric is a lot like Usain Bolt in that he runs so fast it looks like teleporting."

Man, if they did a We Love Movies about Dirty Work I think I'd die.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

tin can made man posted:

Those are good running jokes but I love all their casual quotes of golden age simpsons bits, which I feel is pretty sharp

:golfclap:

That's one of the things I enjoy most, that it's a pop culture show put together by people who are almost exactly my age, so they not only do they remember the same pop culture, but from the same perspective as me. Not that it was ever going to be great television, but VH1's "I love the 90s" was way weaker than the 70s and 80s versions because all the comedians they got had been adults in that decade, so they didn't really care about the toys and kids' media.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Silentgoldfish posted:

I feel like I missed the genesis of a joke, I get the Gallagher stuff but who's mark?

Marc Maron, a comedian with a hugely successful podcast where he interviews people in the comedy world. Usually it's a boring public therapy session interrupted by dildo ads, but one time it was legendary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BChMJQcGIY

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Welcome to the cheap world of Star Trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Discovered this podcast last week, have been working backwards. Can confirm, after Spiderman II and Lady in the Water, best Paul Giamatti impersonations ever, by at least 3/4 of youse guise.

Keep an ear out for a surprise Giamatti cameo in My Best Friend's Wedding