Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They're at their best when doing movies no one has ever heard of or seen, like this, Blame It On Rio or Free Enterprise. edit: or Hail, Caesar. Good god.

Every time I see Hail, Caesar in the episode list it makes me double-take. "They thought that charming Coen Bros. comedy was bad enough to podcast about?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
One of the best things about re-listening to old episodes is how you develop an appreciation for how different and yet equally genius their contributions are.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Guy Mann posted:

I agree, which is why it was terrible compared to something like the pizza rolls with Italian dressing story where they actually had an opportunity to be funny about how creepy it was instead of sitting in abject horror at listening to the first act of an Eli Roth movie.

What was that one?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

Catching up, but I was surprised at the idea so many of y'all consider the WHM guys to be a "boy's club" thing. They've always struck me as fairly feminist, just not in the "look at me, I'm so noble" sort of way. They're always quick to call out gross behavior towards ladies. They've certainly never irked me.

Also, Yoda Man was my favorite part of that TCM movie and I'm so happy they recognized him as the best character. There's zero indication he's not a prop dummy before he just gets up and peaces out.

I agree, it's actually a relief. Not only are they rightly disgusted by the reddity "Ghostbusters killed my childhood" poo poo but you can always count on them to notice when a female character is underwritten or a plot point is sexist. Shame how they can never eat Doritos anymore though.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

I just figured the misog crowd would be turned off at all the jokes at their expense. Whatevs. :shrug:

Haha "misog crowd." That's great. I think some of these people are SO checked out that the progressivism flies over their heads until the gang does something overt enough for them to notice, like be wrong about a video game. From the mailbag episodes it certainly seems like they get a lot of missives directly from the bowels of reddit.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

:psyduck: I was borrowing the term from the poster I quoted further up the page. I'm not even sure what we're arguing about anymore. I resign.

e: Quoted on the last page now, I guess.

What? We were arguing? What?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

duz posted:

It did scan sarcastic at first, but then I saw it was you and knew the intent.

Yeah no, not sarcastic! I thought "misog" was a funny word and I was agreeing with Das Boo

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crowetron posted:

I genuinely enjoy the first two Wishmaster flicks, but I'd love to hear the gang rip into 'em. 3 and 4 not so much, if only because then they would have to watch Wishmaster 3 and 4, and I wouldn't inflict that on my worst enemy.

Every time someone talks about The Wishmaster I keep thinking it's this movie:

It's also awful and the gang should do an episode on it. Or maybe a Very Special Animation Damnation

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DoubleCakes posted:

My rebinge of the WHM archive has reintroduced me to The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking, which remains one of my favourite episodes. They're really good at explaining what's weird or bad about a movie without you having to watch it. A number of WHM episodes are on movies that aren't the typical trash fires that everyone in the Bad Movie Sphere knows about. They're the mediocre-to-bad failures that time forgot and when WHM does an episode on them, that's when they're skills really shine. I don't think WHM can truly have a bad episode because of how good they are.

Yeah I like it best when they cover mediocre movies that everyone thought were good at the time, like Face/Off and My Best Friend's Wedding.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

porfiria posted:

I still feel like Mrs. Doubtfire is the perfect intersection of things that make the podcast work.

Yeah you need:

1. A movie all 90s kids have seen
2. Actors the guys can do a fun impression of (Fierstein and WIlliams)
3. Dawning realization that an innocuous element of the movie is actually horrifying (Williams's character is allowed near children?)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

Is there a romcom in existence where one or both of the leads are neither creepy nor psychopathic?

There's Notting Hill, where Julia Roberts is just a huge rear end in a top hat.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So I have a unique technical difficulty right now. My right click button on my laptop is dead. I cannot right click. I'm looking into a new laptop but until then, previously I'd left click, then go to save page as and it'd work fine. Problem is, since updating Firefox, when I left click the page URL doesn't change. Do I really have no option but to manually type in the URL now? If so, kill me. :suicide:

You could get a browser add-on like Down Them All, or you could set a hotkey to mean right-click. Or get a USB mouse wireless trackball!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I forget, does the Butterfly Effect episode mention the alternate ending where he strangles himself in the womb?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Entourage is mostly an extended story about Mark, Goober, and the Herculoids, because what else would you talk about

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ghost emoji posted:

There's some TVIV thread where someone watched and reviewed every episode of a full season of Last Man Standing. I read the entire thread. It sounds horrifying.

Took some doing, but I found it:

Season One
Seasons Two and Three

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stairmaster posted:

so wait steve vomited on the audience at TWO live shows?

He hosed up drinking water and had to spit it out instead of choking. It was a nice thematic tie-in to all their Gallagher references.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Do not worry about Carrie Fisher

This is how I found out, just so you know. The internet is weird.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Midnightghoul posted:

As an enjoyer of insane TV procedurals, this was quite promising. The past works.

"The only thing he was drowning in was madness" :stare:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Vosgian Beast posted:

An ideology which was apparently NOT about the quest for Lebensraum and racist ideology, but actually about how freedom is bad something something footage of Chavez and stock markets.

We just need to round up these nazis, who are apparently NOT racists, and make sure our crooked government is no longer infiltrated by these anti-freedom groups, and everything will be fine.

Sir this is an Arby's drive-thru

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

well why not posted:

count me in for the new ad format being better. i actually suggested a music cue earlier in the thread, so i'm pumped to see it happen.

It was a great idea, and "Spanish Flea" is a great choice because my brain has a pavlovian association with that song and comedy, so I feel like I'm being entertained no matter what's happening during that song. Not that the guys aren't funny with their ads, they're about the best I've ever seen from podcasters. But I don't trust that I'd be able to tell either way.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Re-listening to the Earnest episode made me curious. What's the worst movie you guys have seen the most times? As in, one you didn't like even the first time but you just ended up seeing it over and over again for whatever reason (being couchridden with a hangover and the TV's on Comedy Central and the remote's far away, for instance)

For me it's probably WHM classic Jurassic Park: The Lost World. Forever taunted by that full-size Crackle bar...

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
One of my favorite things about this podcast is that the guys just get stuff like this, even if some of their listeners don't.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

What? I think what I'm saying is in line with them verbally rolling their eyes at the guy saying "whitewashing 101" out loud. I specifically pointed out how I agree that Wesley Snipes would make a great Joker and also that the explosion of white nerds would be huge and stupid in order to try and head off where this has ended up going. :shobon:

Lol I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the "Moooom come jerk me off!" twitter guys. But if you want to bring it up, you're saying some well-meaning but ignorant things. We actually have a really great forum for discussing race now that might help you grasp the subtleties. I don't think we have a race and casting thread yet. Maybe you could start one!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

People's thoughts aren't limited to them literally thinking in exact sentences. Which is your point. So I think the only issue here might be that you're assuming I'm an idiot. ;)

I'm sorry I brought this up without being able to disclaim enough times to make it clear that I'm not the boogieman. I'm not racist, I promise. I'm not even white! I own a Consolidated album (that last sentence is a Joke)

I simply don't like reducing a problem to buzzwords like "whitewashing" that don't really mean anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXHa5FW8gdo

You are behaving like an idiot, yo. I repeat my suggestion that you check out the new forum for discussing race. Please don't poo poo up this nice thread about the world's best podcast with your ignorance.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Good lord you two. Let it go, like everyone else did several days ago. I chose my words poorly, that's all.

You're the guy who wrote the Amazon review they read in the Wild Wild West episode, aren't you.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JT Smiley posted:

Finally got around to subscribing to the Patreon, what's a good app for listening on my phone?

I'm a big fan of Downcast. The Patreon feed went on there just fine

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pops Mgee posted:

They're doing it on Facebook live so the video should be saved to their page.

I just thought "man, there's no way I'll make it without being spoiled first" and then realized how special it is that a goofy little podcast is so popular with the people in my life that that's a problem. Way to go, guys. :unsmith:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

I've never consumed and star trek media other than what appears in other pop culture things. Would I still enjoy the nexus

Do you think their Shatner and Stewart impressions are funny?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Aw nobody's more attractive than Steve. Except that total babe Chris Cabin.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Has there been a kid's tv cartoon that successfully adapted to a live action film? The Scooby Doo franchise made money, but it always looked like garbage, and so did Fat Albert.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

duz posted:

Transformers is having a fifth movie this summer. The TMNT movies probably count since those are more inspired by the cartoon than the comic. Looking over the `based on a cartoon` list on IMDB, that's about it, everything else is serious trash.

I knew I was missing something obvious. Both of those franchises are probably better than Scooby Doo, but Avatar really could have taken cartoon adaptations to another level if they'd tried even a little bit.

Count Chocula posted:

Didn't the first Scooby Doo movie have James Gunn writing it? Apparently the Josie & the Pussycats movie is smart satire with a good soundtrack... I know the AV Club loved it.

Josie and the Pussycats is surprisingly good and worth a watch. It's also an interesting time capsule - there's a scene that functions as a joke about product placement, and almost all the brands featured are defunct now.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Count Chocula posted:

The first TMNT movie was more based on the comics... I saw Brendan McCarthy, designer of Fury Road, give a talk and he talked about making the suits.

Masters of the Universe isn't great, but it's a perfectly fun b-movie with Frank Langella as Skelator.

Robbing James Carville of the role he was born to play

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

clown shoes posted:

I like Carville, have met him several times (we're from the same place), and he loves jokes like this.

Tell him he's awesome and that you know a podcast he should guest star on.

Tell me you guys wouldn't want to hear Carville's stab at a Stallone impression.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ZakAce posted:

If the guys want to expand their Cliff Curtis knowledge, they could go watch Once Were Warriors, which is an excellent Kiwi movie. It was directed by Lee Tamahori and stars Temuera Morrison as well, so they'd also be expanding their knowledge on two Kiwis they've encountered in past episodes.

Cliff Curtis was also in The Dark Horse, if they want to watch a movie about a mentally ill chess player. (RIP Genesis Potini).

I just added this to my list. Any other Kiwi films you'd recommend?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ZakAce posted:

Seconding Deathgasm and early Peter Jackson, because why not.

Films (in rough chronological order):

Two Geoff Murphy films: Goodbye Pork Pie and Utu. GPP is a comedy and one of the first Kiwi independent films, while Utu is a revenge film. You might remember Geoff Murphy from Freejack and Under Siege II: Dark Territory, both of which were covered by the WHM guys.

If you like Sam Neill, his breakout role was in Sleeping Dogs, a political thriller by Roger Donaldson, who would later direct The World's Fastest Indian. The latter film stars Anthony Hopkins as Burt Munro, a motorcyclist who set land speed records back in the '50s and '60s. In the USA, Roger Donaldson also directed Dante's Peak.

Came A Hot Friday is a 1985 comedy based on a book by Ronald Hugh Morrieson, and stars the legendary Kiwi comedian Billy T James (RIP).

If you want more Kiwi horror, there's Black Sheep, starring evil sheep and zero Chris Farley.

Most of Taika Waititi's filmography: Boy, What We Do In The Shadows, Hunt For The Wilderpeople. (The latter film comes Andrew Jupin-recommended).

Housebound, a horror film about a woman sentenced to house arrest in a haunted house. Both this film and Hunt For The Wilderpeople feature nefarious social workers.

I might have missed a couple, but that's a pretty thorough collection of Kiwi filmography. You guys might have already heard of some of these movies, such as the latter two Taika Waititi films.

Thanks so much! I will enjoy diving into these

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lemon posted:

I just listened to the SWAT episode again today and I think that Eric's story about going to watch In Bruges might be the funniest moment of the whole series.

Is that "Try it, old man"?

Funniest moment to me is "Did you hear? They finally locked up the 'Eat poo poo!' lady"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MisterBibs posted:

I stopped listening to HDTGM after the paywall bullshit, but most of the movies they covered were bad and often incomprehensible.

For its faults, the Power Rangers movie ain't either.

Whoa, what paywall bullshit? I quit listening to that podcast once it shifted to being like 90% live episodes that were 90% crowdwork. They decided they could charge for that?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

duz posted:

No, the paywall is for episodes older than 6 months or maybe a year. It doesn't effect you if you don't listen to older episodes. It's still 90% live episodes though.

Those were the good ones :smith:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

I don't really care what movie a movie podcast is covering, the one's I keep listening too are entertaining regardless. Which is why I quit listening to HDTGM, because not even a good movie for the podcast could save their tired poo poo.

I stay a lot more engaged when it's a movie I've seen or was at least aware of at the time it came out - the really deep cuts of 80s schlock horror usually don't do much for me. But man, that podcast went from "pull over the car to keep from crashing during this laughing fit" to "I forgot what movie they were even supposed to be talking about" so fast.

The Fast & the Furious franchise episodes were my favorite, until the Fast 7 (Furious 7? 7 Fast 7 Furious?) episode when June suddenly decided to pretend she couldn't remember having seen any of the previous ones. You can't do a bad movie podcast and act too good for bad movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

What killed HDTGM for me wasn't so much the live episodes (although that was a huge part), but June's seeming inability to understand any movie she saw.

Yeah and it's not like she's stupid. It was just this gimmick they took way way too far.