Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
Ugh, those WHM knuckleheads with their ads. You know, I doubt they'd go that far again. I bet they know to reign it in now. I doubt they can even pay their bills. Sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

precision posted:

HE KNEW THEY COULD FLY! THERE'S A loving AVIARY!!!!

Also, Blame it on Outer Space is really good, it's a lot more mellow and dry humor-ish which makes it great for late night. It's better than Coast to Coast AM has been since, like, 2003.

Thank you. That's very kind of you to say. I know some folks had checked the show out before and weren't feeling it. I'd recommend they give it another shot since the show has entered a new era of no longer having in person guests and rather making Rich a permanent fixture starting with the Water Fluoridation episode but I'd say Pigman is a good place to start.

The show will have a "season finale" sometime the week of June 15th with an all call-in episode that won't be streaming live but it'll focus on individual calls and topics they bring up, one after another. I'd love for some of you SA kids to join in since you all know Slender men and whatnot. 718-593-4619 or Skype BlameSpacePod. It'll probably be Thursday the 18th from 7:30 EST to 9:30 EST. Follow the show's twitter for more up to date info as it becomes available @BlameSpacePod

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Really I don't think I've heard a bad episode.

I disagree!

Okay, SA only WHM hype machine post: BIOOS fans will get a kick out of WHM next week.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
The other guys have never used this site. I had to google what a goon was in relation to these forums so that shows you how much I know too. Okay guys, check ya later.

Keep on rockin' in the free world.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

DrVenkman posted:

Bogus Journey is awesome and inventive and I'm not sure why they keep making mention to it. You might not like Station, but the rest works great.

They were also surprisingly down on Looper and in particular Bruce Willis, which is weird because between that and Moonrise Kingdom it marked a brief moment where Willis was engaged again.

"They" of course means 1 person on the show while Chris and I both defended Looper on the air.

Regarding Bogus Journey, and DragonHeart, and every movie you love: sometimes we enjoy watching movies that aren't Nukie-level and I think we're able to mine it for jokes a lot easier producing all in all a better podcast. I think some of the the best episodes often come out of "middle of the road" movies. We've also gone on to recommend movies we do on the show, which I think Bogus Journey would definitely get.

I'm really starting to feel that with WHM we can't do anything right. People complain when we did Camp Nowhere since it was "too small" of a movie, then when we do big movies like T3 or DragonHeart people complain that they "like" those movies. I genuinely like a lot of movies we've covered. I nearly shut down the mere notion of doing an episode on The Running Man for instance but then I realized: it's OK to like a movie, let's have fun discussing it. It's just a fun conversation. I don't think we ever intend anything we say on the show to be the "definitive" opinion and often when I lurk somewhere, I feel bad about the way the show is perceived but that's on us, I know. I just want to post and say, hey, dudes, I feel you and I'm not trying to crap on things just to crap on them. I want to goof around about them.

We also mention "STAAAATION!!" a lot because it's a funny concept to us, which is probably a credit to the film we're referring to...

Don't mind me folks, I just wanted to stress despite our show name, tones, and demeanor, this show is not coming out of purely negative state. We love movies, we love watching movies, we enjoy what we do. We do it for a reason and that has to say something about even the worst movies we discuss. I always felt like we should be more-so labelled a "movie" show than a "bad movie" show.

Anyway, sorry I don't mean to be a buzzkill, I want to also sincerely thank you all for listening. It's been an incredible journey going from a cynical jerk in NYC to a cynical jerk in NYC with a podcast people actually enjoy. It means the world to all of us over at WHM Headquarters. Thanks guys.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have a WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING story for the mailbag if you are interested.

Always. Mail it in.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

thrawn527 posted:

As with most everything on the Internet, you're usually better off never reading comments on the content you put out there,

You're right. Sorry for posting guys! The best trick the devil ever pulled was posting on SA and then, poof: Slenderman.

I'm out! Thank you!

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

weekly font posted:

There's definitely issues on Andrew's mic. Listen to him say "funnaaaay" around 10:30.

There's no auto-tune. Anyone having issues, I suggest getting your devices checked out.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

A Meat posted:

I'm almost positive that a bit of planning of that between the bit and the impromptu a cappella was cut out of the episode.

No. We all started the episode knowing John Carpenter had been approached though. Source: I was there.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

Dude, they talked about tearing up/crying over Chewbacca groaning after Han dies*.

They weren't wearing their Nerd Hats, they've got Nerd Fedoras on this time.

* I might be getting the specifics wrong, I was getting sleepy at this point and I need to rewatch.

You sound like a real cool guy.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
I knew this would rub some folks the wrong way. We honestly did NOT plan on doing an episode of BvS. I expected it to be an On Screen but somewhere in the Batman/Superman movie that was nearly as long as Schnindler's List, it snapped into place. If you don't care about BvS and don't mind spoilers, tune in because we do some zany unrelated impressions. I hope you'd find it fun even if you did enjoy your time at the movies. I didn't outright hate Man of Steel, so I didn't come into the movie expecting to hate it, I just ended up hating it. I legit liked Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons as Batman and Alfred. I think Wonder Woman was decent as well. The writing and direction needs to be jettisoned out of an airlock though. End of the story, it's OK to like a movie. It's just a movie. We're just idiots making fun of things.

Thanks guys for the continued support and making me feel like a jerkoff for having stairs in my house or whatever the heck that was. I only checked out these forums because you cinema heroes started this thread and I love you for it.

D&D is a lot of fun and yeah, we don't know D&D much so get ready to fire off some tweets.

Eric

tl;dr why so serious?

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

I'm really curious sometimes when people post things like this: do you even really pay attention to the movies you watch? I know this sounds insulting, but I'm not trying to be. They state clearly in the move that he has branded one criminal previously, the guy was a pedophile and he was killed, the second guy he brands in the movie is a human trafficker (also likely dealing in child sex slaves). Alfred asks about this new thing he's doing, so it's clear its new.

As far as "how is he convincing people in prison to kill them", it's pretty clear he doesn't have some kind of deal with a prisoner, but in movie land typically when a child sex offender is sent to prison, the prisoners usually beat up or kill the offender. Batman was clearly marking them so they'd stand out more in prison and become targets.

How do these things get missed? It's not even like a subtle subtext, it's stated out loud in the movie.

It's stupid. As you've stated, those types of crimes are targeted by prisoners all the time. Is it even related to the branding? It's just a dumb part of the movie to make Batman 'badass.'

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

That's not at all the point of my post. It's that I'm always surprised at the things people miss from movies. Not like SMG themes or subtext items, but clear obvious on screen things.

It's a literal representation of how in the last 18 months Batman has become more needlessly cruel.

Not highlighting it does not mean miss.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

sean10mm posted:

I listened to the first few and couldn't get into it. Does the quality pick up at some point? I love the idea but it didn't hook me. :(

http://www.blameitonouterspace.com/2016/06/case-file-6875-mandela-effect.html

Try a new one.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I like to listen to Blame it on Outer Space while I do something else, it's more of a passive listen, it's a bit slower than WHM, so it works for me like that.

I actively try to make BIOOS different than WHM.

Jose Oquendo posted:

How much weed have you bought with the Patreon money?

None!

Also dudes, if you're in Los Angeles, we added a 2nd show to the Hollywood Improv on BATMAN & ROBIN.
If you've got tickets for the 8 PM on Suburban Commando, check your email for a half off promo code.
http://hollywood.improv.com/event.cfm?cart&id=465189

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

BexGu posted:

Edit: With the new patron the We Hate Movies app is basically completely abandoned out right?

Yes, a lot of people complained about the functionality so we are abandoning it.

If Patreon does well, I'd hope to cycle Sleaze back in at some point too. Also nobody HAS to contribute. If you don't wanna, don't.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

precision posted:

I thought it was odd that they unanimously said it was great, IIRC nary a one of them said "it was just okay"

Nice try to frame it that way, but I haven't even seen it yet. And I said so on that episode.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
Hello everyone,

Thought I'd drop by since there's a lot of misconceptions about advertising going on all over The Net... I'm calling it WHM Adgate 2017.

We've barely had much in the way of ads in our 6 years on the air and yes, we got some ads booked now and I'm a bit dismayed that our audience is upset over this. I think if you compare our ad placement in Dirty Grandpa with other podcasts (even within this ‘bad movie’ subgenre), you’d find it now the industry standard.

This is what advertisers want and we resisted it for a long time, to the point of probably losing advertisers. Keep in mind, we also would have gotten a lot of complaints about having 5+ minutes of ads at the top of the show. You can see our Space Jam episode for evidence of this. At a certain point, things can't only be top loaded.

We actually don’t make all the profit of an ad. A percentage goes to the ad agency who booked it and/or a huge percentage of it goes to our podcast network. This actually helps keep people employed. Sideshow Network just closed. Real people are out of work right now due to well, our lack of ads, I guess.

Patreon funds are split so many ways and go towards so many different things. That money is largely going to overhead, equipment, and travel costs to tour (we pay to tour, pay for hotels, pay for airline tickets, pay for everything to make that happen.) We get a lot less help than you might imagine which is why we're signing with a new podcast network now that our old one has closed due to a lack of business. Just an FYI: I personally book 90% of live shows by cold calling venues.

Everyone on WHM still works 40-50 hour weeks on regular jobs that aren’t glamorous TV acting or writing credits. It seems to me that folks give leeway to every celebrity with a podcast but decide to poo poo on “regular guys” attempting to monetize. I'd like to keep on doing podcasts but the reality is I cannot do them for free forever. If this is destined to be a hobby, that's fine, but I will try out other hobbies instead for a while.

I wish things were run a bit differently but this is what it is right now. If we have ads booked, we have to do them. We do not book our own ads. Keep in mind we are sometimes contractually obligated to include ads because it's how podcast networks are funded and just a reality of the business at this time.

Patreon will never have ads and I thank you all who have supported it. Our archives will never be put behind a paywall. We're not trying to cheat you here. If you're not feeling hearing us riff on an add, hit that fast forward button.

Thank you all for listening and I do apologize if you didn't like the ads today. I will do my best to represent your wishes expressed here.

Eric

P.S.
RIP Blame It On Outer Space 2012-2016.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
Thanks for the support guys, I really mean it.

In the future if things go better and better, maybe we can get into a position to be ad free. I'd love to. Until then, thanks for bearing with us.

Hit me up on Twitter with any other questions. Thanks again. YOU'RE MY ROCK.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

precision posted:

I mean, I only said anything because I'm also working a lovely job 40-50 hours a week (often more like 60) and also a person doing several podcasts, as well as music and photography, and trying to monetize that so either me or my wife can work less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH0YPXb49q0

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

Jose Oquendo posted:

There does appear to be a missing Mail Bag.

Nov. 28
Dec. 28
Feb. 1

So was the Feb. 1 mailbag the episode for January or February?

I heard they hit a snag with their scheduling and it was this or the Oscars special, March mailbag will be earlier to compensate.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

Jose Oquendo posted:

I like the show but they're all pretty much assholes, and it's a reason I cancelled my Patreon pledge. I liked the Nexus show and I made a comment about how I'd probably be dead by the time they got around to covering all of TNG. It was pretty clearly a joke but their (whoever does their social media) reply was basically, "If you don't like, don't loving listen to it."

Hi there,

I heard about the negativity here and thought I’d clear some things up.

No, we’re not rich off WHM. I still work a regular degular office job and commute almost 4 hours a day for it. Last year was the first year we turned any kind of profit doing this in like what, 7 years?

I do want to quickly mention a lot of this Patreon money is used on plane tickets, travel arrangements, and housing for 4 people while touring. That adds up quite a bit. It’s not exactly profitable. We’ve upgraded all recording equipment. That’s what Patreon is for first and foremost, to continue to do WHM and bring the live experience on the road when we can. The money allows us to do what we like doing, this show. I'd love to spend a year on the road doing this show. This is what I use all my vacation days at work for. See you soon, Texas.

Regarding our old back catalog episodes that are no longer available on the main RSS feed. They’re from a distribution method we used in the early, early days which was free for us to upload. The catch is they’d routinely change URLs. So I personally have edited the links on the Episodes page every other month since early 2011. Yes, this is an actual insane thing I would do as part of keeping the old episodes alive. It was a pain. Anyway, this resulted in a lot of people tweeting us about dead links or hey this doesn’t work. Then I knew it was time to check every episode again. It got tedious.

So combine that with requests to have these all available in one source. We decided we should do that. So I spent the last two months editing out every single advertisement and live show plug (which are obviously now irrelevant) from these old episodes to make it a real true blue archive.

I’d like to take this time to point out that Google Drive folder I set up is not private or anything... Any you guys patrons of WHM? You can share that link. Post it here if you want to! I really don’t mind or care.

The main reason it’s a Google Drive folder and it’s on Patreon is we didn’t want to re-upload it somewhere and pay the hosting fees we’d incur. We just launched a new $5 tier, so it seemed like a natural reward to get the ball rolling.

Oh and if you took a second to use Google – you can still find any old episode you want. They're still out there. I just don't want to change the link every other month anymore.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

And no, you don’t have to support the show if you don’t want to.

Thanks for listening,
Eric

P.S. I wish we could do the Nexus weekly, which is a goal if this Patreon thing goes well...
My plan B is to get a horse, live in the mountains, and don't bother anybody.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

enigmahfc posted:

Yeah, well how you really spending all that Patreon money, Richy McRicherson?!

Taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
Hi,

Wanted to drop in and let you know some of the thought process here.

A reason we moved mailbags to YouTube is that very few people every downloaded those episodes as audio. Same thing with the On Screen episodes. We receive like maybe a 10th of the download numbers a main episode does. The drop off is like a cliff. So we thought only die hard fans listen to the mailbags, they might enjoy seeing us and making it more of a fan/creator shared experience.

We are not yet sure what we're doing with it but part of making it video only is to get people AWARE we have a YouTube channel. We're going to play with more visual elements going forward, I promise. I also am not sure an On Screen is the best introduction to the show for random people downloading off the main feed too. It just isn't exactly what WHM is, so it's odd for someone to download WHM and hear us gush about a movie instead of "hate" it.

We thought doing Mailbag and OS as video might be a better option than not doing them at all.

We also thought we're coming up 10 years doing this show and it's kinda fun and different to try something new. So a decision there is kinda selfish because we just want to do something different. We want to experiment, have fun in a different way, and see what shakes out. It kinda gets old just doing the same thing forever. I'm open to ideas if you think there's something better we could be doing than YouTube.

We have gotten a ton of positive reaction from fans overseas who resigned to never being able to see a live show, etc, etc.

Eric