Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
If bad movie podcasts were higher education:

-HDTGM is a 101 class that everyone has to take regardless of their major to graduate, so most class time is wasted by jocks asking stupid questions
-The Flophouse is a 200 level course with interesting subject matter and readings but nothing too in-depth, and class discussion is mostly on topic but every now and then that one Philosophy major starts comparing everything to Kant
-We Hate Movies is the seminar class: it's composed of all majors who did the reading and bring their game faces, and a kickass professor who manages to crack jokes while teaching the material

Each has their place, but if you're serious about bad movie podcasts, you should be listening to We Hate Movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Counterpoint: Abraxas.

I'm pretty sure that starry skies is Secundus.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
You guys listen to podcast ads?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Invalid Validation posted:

God I wish I didn't have to they're becoming increasingly worse. I don't think they make them much money anyways.

I really don't have any problem with podcasts having ads as long as Apple keeps the +15 seconds button on their podcast app. The podcasters get money and I am only inconvenienced a tiny bit.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Call Me Charlie posted:

On O&A, Kevin Smith couldn't stop talking about how the only thing he would do on his tour bus is smoke pot, write in an unconscious daze and gently caress his fleshlights. But he'd be so high that he'd forget to clean them out and when he finally did, black stuff ran out :gonk:

I made it through like 4 SModcasts back in like 2007 until I reached an episode where Smith and Mosier talked about Helen Keller for 40 minutes without knowing literally anything about her, even what could easily have been gleaned by reading the top paragraph on her Wikipedia entry. Then I realized that he's a loving moron and stopped listening to anything he recorded (although I did check out the infamous Tusk episode after watching that film, which was worthwhile in that context).

Speaking of which, WHM should do a Tusk episode. Listener request month!

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

JT Smiley posted:

I think HDTGM works much better in the studio than the live episodes. They spend so much time playing to the audience during live shows that they barely cover things that happen in the movies or they get stuck on a tangent and beat it into the ground.

I stopped listening when they started doing almost exclusively live shows. Live podcasts are great for podcasters (because they make money) and the live audience (because they get a good show) but they are almost always dogshit for podcast listeners, and I'm not only talking about HDTGM.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Sleeveless posted:

I feel for people trying to monetize their content but the whole point of podcasts is that they're light disposable entertainment for when you're working or driving or playing a game that doesn't demand a lot of attention, the moment you start charging money for it you're going to lose almost all of your audience.

There's a whole wave of podcasters now who are able to make a living from their shows but they are the exception to the rule. For everyone else podcasts have traditionally functioned as extensions of the rest of their entertainment careers, hence the practice of plugging one's other projects and upcoming appearances at the end of every episode.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, thanks to WHM I finally ended up watching Halloween 3 last night.

Man, that movie is dumb.

I found it to be structurally dumb with a lot of interesting other aspects. Like, the girl whose father is missing should have been the main character since she has the journey, and Tom Atkins should have, well, not even gone along on the trip and just been some drunk doctor. I loved the villain's plan though, and the saleswoman in the hotel getting her face lasered off was sweet. Plus that jingle!

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
"That thing wanted to be uuuuuuuus!"

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Does it work as a listen with out the movie?

I would say no, a lot of the jokes are about objects or people in the frame that they only refer to in context.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Eh I gave it a listen while I commuted today. Not too bad really.

Have you listened to it while watching the movie as well, or just audio-only?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Conal Cochran posted:

I do think they come as a little too hostile against some of the movie's detractors

I love WHM, but this bugged me about this On Screen. They had their Nerd hats and not their Critic hats on for this episode, which is fine, but I wish they hadn't only brought up contrasting opinions about to movie in order to poo poo on the authors of those opinions. The only point they even tried to rebut was the argument that the movie is "safe," which they didn't do very well IMO (Han Solo is the mentor in this movie, not a main character ala Batman in a Justice League story).

But like I said, they had their Nerd hats on. They compared the movie to other big comic book/franchise blockbuster movies, which is exactly what TFA is, and I'm always glad for more WHM content.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

MisterFister posted:

I think they always have their nerd hats on? They're not critics, they're funny guys who make fun of bad movies.

You're not giving them anywhere near enough credit. They're funny, but they also make legitimate critical points about almost all of the movies they make episodes about, from both film and social studies perspectives.

Also, to be pedantic (this is the internet, after all) this comes from the About page of their website:

quote:

They are comedians, writers, critics, and guys who thought watching movies as a college education wasn't a waste of money.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Quixotic1 posted:

Apparently the novelization has a bunch of details to explain a lot of the complaints of the films from the lack of detail.

:bang:

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Ave Azaria posted:

Luke doesn't stumble, exactly, but he is portrayed as a kid who hasn't found his calling yet, doing menial labor on a farm and whining.

He also lets his aunt and uncle burn to a crisp :(

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Illinois Smith posted:

Seriously, they don't even change lineups or have the guy who kind of sounds like Steve and Andrew's voices smushed together on anymore.

RIPD Crabin.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Ska is one of the most evil genres of music...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

weekly font posted:

If their promos were boilerplate it'd be one thing but you get some good gags out of them. I think Sadjak being killed by Jack Ruby was born from one and it's one of my hardest laughs.

Some of their Harry's ads have gotten stale but on the whole their intros are pretty solid. One step down from the genius that is Bill Burr's "Club W" reads.