Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

It had something to do with Cabin's job, that's all I can recall

Cabin's wife is an academic who needed to live in Germany for a year for work, and he came along and presumably spent the time deepening his appreciation for beer. He made his big return on the live episode for Jupiter Ascending, which is extra special to me since it had been a personal "Stay Tuned" since the moment I started listening to WHM. Sean Beean, lmao.

I can't believe I've been listening to this podcast for like 8 years. I've probably listened to the Three Men and a Baby episode a dozen times. They're all amazing Twitter follows if anybody's not on that, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They did a personal WLM of mine as a regular WHM (I've been assured that this is okay) and even though I'd been really looking forward to it, I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected to. When you love a movie enough to have seen it multiple times you have all your own jokes and insights about it and naturally theirs can't be the same. I found myself getting frustrated that they didn't notice the same things I did. All this to say, I enjoyed the Citizen Kane ep because I haven't seen the movie, but Fargo kind of bored me because I've seen it a lot. It's why I kind of dread their inevitable WLM ep on Jurassic Park, even though I also think it's a great movie for them to cover.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thrawn527 posted:

The guy Steve takes over. Like, takes over the body of. Diana sleeps with him, right? His body is used to have sex with Diana. Where is his consciousness when this happens? His body is used as a vessel for sex, and then Steve leaves it, and Diana just sort of hits on him at the end, with him none the wiser that she's seen him naked and had sex with his body, because he wasn't conscious for any of it.

Men on the internet so worked up about Ethics in Offscreen Body Swap Hookups that none of them seem to have noticed the literal attempted rape scene lol. Personally I think it would be cool to have a "girl power" comic book movie without a man trying to rape a woman in it. That would feel empowering, to me.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cannot wait for the 30+ minute egg sandwich digression we're guaranteed to get during that WLM.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AceOfFlames posted:

Fun fact: Margot Robbie is actually allergic to chicken eggs so they had to use duck eggs for that scene. For some reason, that's one of the few things that stuck with me from my Hot Ones binging spree.

That fact is fun, ty.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enigmahfc posted:

I have something to admit....

I’ve never seen Goodfellas.
I don’ like gangster movies....

I'll draw fire for you and say I kind of like The Pest. The production design is fun, and there's a distinctly POC perspective that was rare for movies at that time. The villains are explicitly Nazis, iirc, and the minor villains in those frat boys they meet at the club are depicted without any sense of inferiority or intimidation. You don't for a second think that John Leguizamo wishes he were like any white character in that film. Whiteness is mildly grotesque in The Pest, without leaning on any "white dudes drive like this" hackery about it. It's just taken for granted that the gaze of the film is a POC one. And it's purestrain 90s, fisheye lens and all. Always gonna have a soft spot for movies that look like Warped Tour posters.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose Oquendo posted:

No it doesn't. None of the movies in the trilogy do. One of the threads that runs through the whole thing is that becoming involved in the criminal part of the Corleone family totally ruins Michael's life. Bad things happen to literally everyone involved.

Nah, in The Godfather being a gangster is glamorous and fun until it's not. That's a message that never really gets across - look at how many people idolize Tony Montana. In Goodfellas you never get a moment to relax. From the very beginning being a gangster is a queasy, dangerous experience where you have to spend every minute sucking up to stupid assholes. Nobody tells anybody to get their shine box in The Godfather. Even when the gangsters fight amongst each other there's an anesthetizing theatricality to it. It's not a study in petty cruelty the way Goodfellas is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thrawn527 posted:

The right choice.

I always mean to watch My Blue Heaven, to complete my Henry Hill movie experience. Then I end up reading a description and realize it's not going to be even remotely the same thing, and figure I'll just be annoyed at a screwball comedy. Like, I'll know going in it's a completely different kind of movie, but I think I'll still be annoyed by it, if that makes sense.

And yes, I know that's not fair.

You're missing out, that movie's a goddamn delight.