Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Man, this is a really great podcast and much funnier than I expected. I like how they get right into the movies and there isn't twenty minutes of random banter in the beginning and end. I'm really surprised at how often they make me laugh my rear end off, and they even make shows about movies I have no real interest in great. Their Wilford Brimley "What? WHAT? WHAT?!?! WHAAAAAT?!?!?!" bit during Hard Target was amazing.

If you haven't given this show a chance, please do.

Edit: They also have pretty good taste in movies. Anyone who gives a positive review and recommendation to Silver Bullet is A-OK in my book!

Violator fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

Child's Play 3 episode is one of my favorites if only because of the sudden Abraxas impression in the middle, "I threw Chuckie down a garbage chute and called him a shlack-jawed so-and-so, ALSO I THOUGHT HE WAS SECUNDUS"

God drat, I can hear that voice perfectly in my head and it cracks me up. I must be listening to the show too much.

Also, the Silver Bullet episode is good for the Gary Busey impersonations.

Edit: I may have suggested that episode before, but holy poo poo.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The dude who played Jason in the 2009 remake was BY FAR the best Jason in the entire series and outclasses Kane Hodder in every way possible.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I do because they pepper it with jokes, but it seems like they're being forced to stick more to the scripts they're provided. But then the sarcastic tone makes up for it and makes them fun.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Morter posted:

One of the few times I actually yelled at a movie was watching Bangkok Dangerous, the lovely ending followed by the sudden credits made me scream "WHAT?!", and I never do that.

Mainly because it was in the theaters so the fact that I paid for it came back to me like a kick in the nuts. I was so bothered.

What was the ending?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Holy Batman, dick beer made me laugh (and keeps me laughing) harder than I've laughed in a long, long time. Like "having trouble breathing" laughing. I think their reaction to it was as funny as the bit itself. Good Lord.

Violator
May 15, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

That, and their bizarre insistence that no one calls him Batman, when Laurence Fishburne not only calls him that in the movie, but it even made the trailer, really soured me on their whole BvS episode. I could have done without hearing about it again. And yeah, this guy's email was dumb as poo poo. Doesn't change the fact that their hatred for this movie, seemingly more so than any other lovely movie they've ever reviewed, is grating.

This is the first time I've ever been frustrated by their opinions because a lot of their critiques didn't make any sense or were factually incorrect (no one saying the word Batman in the movie, there being no sunlight shown when Superman regenerates in space, etc). Each of them obviously have a wide and in-depth knowledge of film, so I usually really enjoy their discussions and breakdowns even on movies I enjoy but they don't. But they really seemed to go into this one looking to hate it.

I know the show is literally titled We Hate Movies, but I enjoy the episodes where they review current movies (like the Spectre episode) because they tone down the jokes and they're pretty good at analyzing the movie and its themes. But with stuff like Steve complaining that Batman has magic levitating powers during his boyhood dream sequence, it seems like they were being willfully ignorant about certain things. Andrew did correct him, but the dream sequences were core to the film in showing Batman's mental breakdown so I was disappointed that he apparently missed the point.

I also don't understand why showing the parademons and not explaining their background is such a huge problem. From a layman's perspective the idea is "Batman is scared of and hates Superman so much that he's having dreams Superman will use his powers to take over the world with an alien army." I mean, Bruce Wayne is literally building kryptonite weapons to kill Superman and other potential aliens. For comic fans they'll know bigger things are coming but as far as the non-comic fan is concerned, the parademons are just nightmare monsters that show how mentally wrecked Bruce is. "If there's one alien there's probably more, we gotta kill 'em all!" Why do they need a background and introduction?

Oh well, this is probably too much BvS talk and I deserve a big frosty mug of dick beer for bringing it up again.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does anyone remember the semi ongoing joke about nerds complaining about something and then having sex with their mom? For some reason "Mom! Get in here!" popped in my head but I couldn't remember the rest of it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

ghost emoji posted:

That's from the Daredevil episode I think?

Yep, you were right. I remember cracking up the first time I heard the episode but for some reason I thought it was from much longer ago.

Gave the episode a re-listen, and interestingly they have a few extended bits talking about how terrible they expect BvS to be. Andrew says he wants to buy a ticket for another movie and sneak in to see it because he doesn't want to support it, Eric decides "I want to see it but it can't be good", and Steve says "Batman vs Superman: Who ever wins we lose." And the consensus is that Zack Synder smells like farts. But Andrew does enjoy that Daredevil kills and that's a hero right up his alley, but Steve and Eric disagree.

Aaaaaaaaand I'm the nerd they make fun of.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, I kinda dug my own hole here. :gonk:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Going by your username they did an entire episode making fun of you :v:

I've never actually listened to the Spawn episode because I'm not a huge fan of that episode's guest co-host (Justin J Case?). I should give it another try since I think they said he would be appearing in an upcoming show. Some folks in this thread ragged on the episode because he apparently spent a bunch of time talking about his action figures instead of the movie so I never gave it a fair chance, but it's gotta be at least a decent episode. The terrible CGI, the 90s action, the cape, and John Leguizamo being an insane 4 foot murder clown should be perfect for them to riff on.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Action figure talk lasted roughly 45 seconds

Yep, you were right and it was a pretty good episode. Guest host Vinnie's "look at this slutty broad with her tight pants!" was certainly different than the boy's usual brand of humor.

Violator
May 15, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes on Tuesday's I take a moment to decide to listen, depending on the movie (I still haven't listened to the Larry the Cable Guy episode, because I haven't seen it and I do not care about it or him), but the mailbag episodes are an instant listen.

Brother, give the first six minutes a chance. Dick beer will change your life.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition
Street Fighter 2 Turbo Hyper Fighting
Super Street Fighter 2
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

I think that's it. I was a monthly reader of EGM so I think I've got it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

JackBobby posted:

Since they are doing horror movies for the summer reruns I really hope we get Silver Bullet. I have a lot of nostalgia for both the movie (it scared the poo poo out of me as kid) and the episode (it was the first one I ever listened too, back before I could tell the guys apart).

I was just thinking that. The Silver Bullet episode really made me a follower of the show since they gave it fairly strong praise and universal recommends. I love the movie for admittedly nostalgic reasons, but I also think it's basically a perfect horror movie even if the creature effects are a little low budget.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Man, they loving deserve to get paid for this show. The audio quality is better than like 98% of the podcasts I listen to, they're always funny, they release new content very consistently, and it's never felt like they've been doing this just to make money. poo poo, I listen to at least the new episode they release every week and sometimes I'm in a mood where I listen to an episode from the back catalog every day. I can give them $8 for the like 30 hours of enjoyment I get out of their show a month.

I've thought for a long time that I would pay money for bundles of episodes/commentaries for some of my favorite movies (like $10 for commentaries of all the Friday the 13th movies or something) but this seems better in some ways because it continually supports them.

Edit: Oh, and a big THANK YOU to them for re-releasing the Silver Bullet episode this week. A++. Would listen again.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Where did the Alex Jones goblin stuff start? Animation Damnation for Ghostbusters or something? I remember cracking up the firs time I heard it, and was delighted to hear it return.

Violator
May 15, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I also want to know this because I was dying and didn't know why.

Like I dunno what the origin of "Catch 'im in BED with a goblin!" is but I died every time. I was wonderfully confused.

Gave it a listen while working and they do mention it in the Ghostbusters Animation Damnation episode, but it's not a very big riff. I thought they had an extended bit about it at one point.

Also found this:

http://gawker.com/alex-jones-is-very-worried-about-donald-trump-loving-1782790861

Good lord, I didn't realize they were direct quotes. :stare:

Violator
May 15, 2003

I love the theme song and that opening riff in a new episode is one of my favorite parts of the week. :kiddo:

More favorites:
Dick beer in Larry the Cable Guy Health Inspector
Gary Busey's "Piss on motorcycle safety! Piss on my nephew!" in Silver Bullet
Wilford Brimley talking about an asian in Hard Target: "He's a WHHAAAATTTTT?!"
Mario going to Wrastlemania in Marios Bros
Debating dog wrestling logistics in Russell Madness
Sabotage, basically everything. "Grinder! Neck! And Lizzy! Sorry Lizzy, we ran out of cool nicknames!"
Roy: The Movie in Friday the 13th 5

Edit: I think Dick Beer is the first time the show has ever come to a complete halt because of how funny and strange that bit was. "DICK. BEER? I'm not letting that one go!"

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bolingbroke posted:

If you're struggling to tell the guys' voices apart, try watching a video of them: https://youtu.be/cf6wOI2cKUk

Putting a face to the voice really helps. I couldn't tell them apart for months but after watching that vid it's no problem at all and they sound completely distinct.

Ah man, they edited out my favorite part of the original broadcast. At the end, the girl filming asks "How do I turn this off?" and Eric says deadpan "Just throw it on the ground."

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was referenced in this week's episode. I can now feel fulfilled in life.

Were you the dude who talked about the Jake the Snake comedy shows?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Real talk.

Violator
May 15, 2003

HOLY poo poo! Surviving the Game is next week! Gary Busey delivers one of the most amazing monologues I've ever seen in that movie. That one scene has always made me wish Tarantino had a small part for him in one of his movies because with the right material he can hit it out of the park.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jimbot posted:

Is that the one where he talks about how his dad got him a dog, got to loved the dog then had to kill the dog with nothing but a knife?

That's it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YwEArrXNnI

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think I like the boy's impressions best when they're short and snappy. Last week's Ice T "See ya later Eric!" cracked me up and is one of my favorites. Sometimes they really over do it. Like I had to turn off the Dirty Harry Dead Pool episode because it was just so grating and gave me a headache. The Loose Loomis stuff in the recent Halloween episode came close to overdoing it, too. This End of Days episode was good because it wasn't too much. Usually I love their Gary Busey because it's short and wickedly funny. They're so drat funny they don't need to overdo the impressions.

Kolchak: The Nut Stalker was crazy. :O

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anyone remember where the "we're going to hell tonight!!!" quote comes from?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Red Bones posted:

The guys ragged on hackers but I really like that movie, silly as it is. It's a lot more solid than you'd expect a movie about 90s teen hackers to be.

I really like Hackers. I know it's cheesy but that's kinda the point.

When Travis Walton discusses his alleged alien abduction and the movie Fire in the Sky, he talks about how the aliens and spaceship in the movie is the opposite of what he says happened in real life. He says he woke up in a completely clean, white, sterile environment and encountered a bunch of tall, blond, nordic-like people wearing glass helmets. If you've seen Fire in the Sky, you know that in the movie the aliens are disgusting creatures with elephant skin in a rotting ship with corpses where they perform grotesque experiments. But Walton was fine with that portrayal. He said something along the lines of, "if they showed what happened to me, the audience wouldn't feel the terror I felt when I woke up. I know it's movie magic, but the feeling and emotion was the most important thing to convey." I thought that was super insightful.

It's the same thing with Hackers. The computer stuff is super duper cheesy, but it visualizes how the characters feel about what they're doing a lot better than just showing a bunch of fat smelly kids sitting in their basement typing on 90's era computers.

Now, I haven't seen Mr. Robot, but I've heard it shows computers really well and realistically, so I might be off base.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Inkspot posted:

Thirteen Ghosts. Tony Shalhoub and Matthew Lillard impressions for days.

Excellent choice!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jimbot posted:

I loved Batman v Superman (doubly so the Ultimate Cut) but that episode did make me laugh. But I can understand if someone didn't care for it. A lot of critics, while do bring up some points that have merit and can be discussed, often had brain farts when it comes to critical interpretation. One, at the time, that I vividly remember is that critics complained they didn't know Lex Luthor's motivation despite him having a monologue about it for 5 minutes. But it was also in the parts of that review that boiled down to "Not my Lex Luthor" and other weird DC fanboy stuff.

Yeah, they had a whole lot of brain farts when it came to BvS.

WHM: "They don't even call Batman Batman in the movie!"
Perry: "Nobody cares about Clark Kent fighting the Batman!"

Even as someone who doesn't read comic books, I find the boy's hate for comic book movies strange. But I keep in mind that they have a Star Trek podcast so they're no saints. :colbert: (Unlike me, who is obviously pure masculine stud with no nerd hobbies posting on Something Awful dot Com.)

Violator
May 15, 2003

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They love comic book movies

I meant comic book movies that I personally like. Those are obviously the best ones!

Yeah, the balance of their technical knowledge and history of movies combined with the comedy is what drew me to the show and kept me a fan. Their adverts for their Halloween shows are burned into my memory so I know Andrew works at the Jacob Burns Film Center (whatever that is) so he works with movies at what I'm guessing is literally an art house theater, but the other guys obviously really know their stuff as well. They'll pull references and actor bios that I have no knowledge of pretty often but work in jokes that are funny even without knowing the full backstory. There's layers for different types of movies fans, just like BvS having layers of DC history for different types of comic fans! Yes! It all comes full circle! WHM is the BvS of podcasts!

Edit: I really need to get back to work, but obviously:
Batman - Andrew
Superman - Eric
Wonder Woman - Cabin
Lois Lane - Stephen

It's all too perfect. It's been staring us all in the face this whole time. We're the collateral beauty now, boys.

Violator fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 9, 2017

Violator
May 15, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Like I said, I didn't mind the ad, but it might be worth putting in a "now we need to pay the bills" bumper or something. It was just really jarring to hear you guys suddenly start talking about mattresses out of nowhere like it was just a natural part of the conversation.

Some soft background music or a sound effect at the beginning and end of an ad read would be fine. Honestly I don't mind the ads at all because the guys are so good with them. On every other podcast I listen to I fast forward past them, but I always listen to the WHM ads because they're funny and you're usually missing good bits if you don't listen to them.

People just don't understand the cost of running a business. They look at the gross but don't understand the net. If you're doing things right (high quality, legal, etc.) then you've got expenses most people don't even think about. I've always really appreciated the sound quality, editing, music, and overall production of WHM and that's not even taking into consideration the quality of the jokes. Not to mention the fact they put out an episode every freaking week on time. Consistency is hard.

My biggest problem with the ads is that they even need to run them. With the quality and consistency of the show, they should have more money, women, and booze than they can physically handle.

I've been lazy about signing up for their Patreon, but I'm doing it now.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

Are there enough reasons that maybe you could list some for my edification?

One of the biggest reasons is revenue management. As someone said above, it's basically a full time job handling advertising.

-- Finding advertisers
-- Working with the advertiser to get ads ready for air (script, actionables, etc.)
-- Invoicing, payments, etc.
-- Etc.

I believe Marco Arment, who runs the Accidental Tech Podcast, has talked in the past how dealing with advertisers is a nightmare that requires annoying work all day every day in ways that you wouldn't expect. Juggling up to three different advertisers per week every week is a real pain. And if a podcast network can remove all of that work and hand you a script and a check then it simplifies your life quite a bit.

Podcast networks also help with advertising. Instead of spending your own time, money, and resources the network is out there pushing you. I know Eric doesn't like having to crawl the dregs of internet forums like this one (just joking), but just imagine having to spend all of your time trying to figure out how to get the word out about your show. This isn't something where you can just do some Google adwords and be set, you want to foster relationships with media websites throughout the world so people can find you. Well, what if having to do that, your podcast network could do the majority of the nitty gritty work for you? And then you can better spend your time focusing where you want to put your effort.

Podcast networks can also have bigger sway in the bigger directories like iTunes. Big networks get their own reps in the systems and can get better placement, campaigns for big events, etc.

Podcast networks basically exist for the same reason record labels did/do. Are they required? No. But they make some of the business and technical aspects a lot easier.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUUXzaJWj4w

There is a lot more nudity in this than I expected even from their review. And Zac Efron is a lot more jacked than I thought.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Good Lord the Patreon shows get intense. Andrew's diatribe on how terrible robot automation is and how terrible a universal wage would be was surprising heated on the Robocop Animation Damnation episode. And all of the Nexus shows are a lot dirtier than expected as well. As someone who isn't exactly a Star Trek fan they're interesting and wacky enough to keep my interest when I thought they wouldn't.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I noticed Bee Movie was high on the trending list on Netflix a few nights ago. Do the boys have that kind of power? Or is it a comedy fad at the moment?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I watched Independence Day 2 in preparation for the episode and I was surprised I didn't hate it. I was laughing out loud at home dumb a bunch of it was (when Will Smith's wife died on top of the building I knew I was in for a special movie), but I just love Goldblum so much I couldn't hate it. And I thought the queen stuff at the end was neat because I love seeing giant monsters in the day light.

Violator
May 15, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Different strokes I suppose.

ID2 was so bad that I was comparing everything else I saw that year to it favorably. Suicide Squad? Yeah, it's kind of a mess, but it's wayyyyyyyy loving better than ID2. Batman vs. Superman? Yeah I can kind see what Zach Snyder was going for, and at least it wasn't ID2.

Maybe my expectations were just so low? Like I was kinda disappointed in Suicide Squad because I thought the idea had a lot of potential that wasn't completely reached. But ID2 was exactly the movie I thought it would be and it was just about the only movie it could be: really dumb, super cheesy, and simple. I echo all of the complaints the WHM crew had (sometimes cheesy effects, stupid story, characters coming back for no reason, etc.) but that's the charm of the series for me. I guess the way people feel about later Fast films is how I feel about this movie. "Nooo!!! CHEESIER!"

Violator
May 15, 2003

Vermain posted:

Actually, speaking of "what episode was that again": What episode was that again where Andrew's playing the part of a stepdad trying to bond with his stepson and doing terribly at it? I mostly just remember him saying, "Hey, Devin!" a lot and a joke about going to get cigarettes.

I thought it was Pet Cemetery 2? That might be a different bad step dad.

Violator
May 15, 2003

This Tango & Cash episode was real good. The Jack Palance impression was great and we had a lot of great jokes. "Go sleep in a church"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Man, I love the Alex Jones impressions. :(

I'm also a big fan of the new "hang up on 'em!" and all of the other material that came from the Tango & Cash episode. Nice to hear some of that stuff come back in the mailbag.