Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Goddamn, I always love when they do these "lighthearted" romantic comedies with vile premises. Bonus points for the side discussion about anchovies on pizza. (Even Futurama once sunk this low.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Maybe to just fill time since there's no breasts and only one actual "sex" scene.

Boob movies are for dinner; movies about barely legal male prostitutes are for when the kids are getting ready for school.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Ah, okay, I was wrong, I do have one from January. I guess it's just that they don't do many On-screen episodes?

I bought the app because On-Screens, side order of sleeze, and Animation Damnation were only in there. Now it seems like they basically never do the first two shows, and Animation gets posted on the main feed. I don't mind having thrown them a few bucks, I get free funny every week. I just wonder why they changed the model like that.

That app is complete trash (not the WHM guys' fault) and doesn't even let me log into it anymore. And I'm pretty sure it has some bonus episodes that aren't even on the Bandcamp page.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Adrianics posted:

I listened to the Ghostbusters 2 episode during a long drive today and I think it might be the best episode they've ever done. A very thorough and honest analysis on why the whole film just doesn't work despite the amount of talent involved, plus I nearly drove off the road from laughter when they started analysing whether the slime was capable of consent.

BUT IT'S THE GHOSTBUSTERS!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Holy poo poo, Animation Damnation is doing Pokemon.

And it's an episode I clearly remember, how :psyduck:

It's kind of mystifying how these guys know nothing about Pokemon; they're a bit younger than me and basically in the perfect demographic for that show in 1998. Did they even know it was a video game?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

They would have been like 15-16 years old

They've said their ages on the show before, and I think everyone was born around 84-85, which would make them 13 and 14 in 1998. I'm only stating this because I watched Pokemon when I was 16 and am only slightly ashamed.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The level of lack of knowledge kind of makes it great. They have a serious discussion as to whether Team Rocket are vampires.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that aspect of the episode. They just seemed more like retirees trying to describe one of those danged vidya games instead of the 30-somethings who've had MULTIPLE conversations about the Star Fox universe.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 26, 2015

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

The guys are 31/32 and like me would have been about 16 when the anime exploded in 99. I can say for a fact no one wanted to be the known as the guy watching PokemonI'm high school. That's the type of poo poo you keep deep in the closet.

UM ACTUALLY it exploded in 1998 *pushes glass up nose and into frontal lobe*

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

It's a fine line, but they were born in like 1983-1984, and are 31-32, like me. And, for some totally anecdotal evidence, I always saw Pokemon as something my little brother was into, and not me, and he's 4 years younger than me.

So it's a fine line, but they'd likely be just on the "Didn't watch it" side of the line, like me.

I just thought it was odd that it seemed like an absolutely foreign concept to them. Even if you were too old for it, Pokemon was basically unavoidable for two years. You're absolutely right about it being a fine line, though.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Ror posted:

I can't wait until the next full Stay Tuned month because there are countless things they've mentioned that I want to hear them talk about and the list is only getting longer. I need some Bill & Ted and Weekend at Bernies just for the catharsis at this point.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey HAS to happen soon. I think it's the movie they've referenced the most but actually haven't covered on the show.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

But Bogus Journey is loving awesome. :colbert:

Hey, they've done We Love Movies before, and there's enough crazy poo poo in Bogus Journey to make it work.

BlameSpacePod posted:

I'm really starting to feel that with WHM we can't do anything right. People complain when we did Camp Nowhere since it was "too small" of a movie, then when we do big movies like T3 or DragonHeart people complain that they "like" those movies. I genuinely like a lot of movies we've covered. I nearly shut down the mere notion of doing an episode on The Running Man for instance but then I realized: it's OK to like a movie, let's have fun discussing it. It's just a fun conversation. I don't think we ever intend anything we say on the show to be the "definitive" opinion and often when I lurk somewhere, I feel bad about the way the show is perceived but that's on us, I know. I just want to post and say, hey, dudes, I feel you and I'm not trying to crap on things just to crap on them. I want to goof around about them.

Yeah, I think people have the same misconception about MST3K—that they're out to strictly make fun of movies. You guys are like them in that you play up certain aspects of a movie for the sake of humor, and then mine some of the stranger aspects to have entertaining conversations. WHM has been kicking rear end lately, so I wouldn't worry too much about a vocal minority upset that you're poking fun of multi-millionaires.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 6, 2015

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

People (not here) sure are getting cranky over WHM's recent movie choices. It must be a nostalgia thing, since I could barely make it through the RIFFTRAX versions of the Matrix sequels.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

A few months ago, one of the guys asked on Reddit about recording studios in Manhattan because he was no longer going to be living in NYC proper. It was posted using the whmpodcast username that I believe Andrew and Eric both have used. So I think they're doing their best to accommodate any changes coming down the pipeline and (hopefully) no one's going to be leaving.

It would be real neat if Eric dropped by again to talk more about this.

I think that means no more tall glasses of water before recording.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Possibly a dumb question: is there any way to get the app running on an iPhone? I bought the Android app when it first came out but now it refuses to load on my tablet, and the FAQ about the app on their site is pretty out of date--the "Podcast Box" app on iOS changed its name and doesn't have WHM on it anymore.

I also deleted the app so I could reinstall it, but for some reason there's no longer a download link on the Amazon page, nor can I grab it by looking at past orders. I'm completely stumped.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 20, 2015

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

When they said they were doing the Sigfried and Roy cartoon I thought they meant the infamous Dreamworks bomb Father of the Pride before finding out that, incredibly, they were in multiple cartoons.

The one the WHM gang is talking about probably doesn't have any jokes about lionesses masturbating with their tails so it's the better show by default.

I remember that show was in development for so long it had the unfortunate timing of coming out one year AFTER Siegfried and Roy's live show ended when Roy was attacked by one of the tigers.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

I genuinely cannot believe people actually didn't mind the skeevy-rear end fantasy sport ads that had the feeling of people trying to get you to buy scratch tickets.

Those are the worst. But I don't hold it against the WHM guys.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm hoping they do When Nature Calls, since they've riffed on it in the past, I think. The racism in the sequel combined with the first one's transphobia makes Ace Ventura a series that's aged loving terribly.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Andrew's Keanu sounded just like Hank Hill.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

TetsuoTW posted:

So would that make Yeah, It's That Bad the one course everyone thought was cool, but then that one neckbeard with the katana started stalking the TA so they cancelled the course?

Yeah It's that Bad has been gone for over two years now :cry:

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

ravenkult posted:

The worst thing about The Flophouse is that the actual movie talk is like 20 minutes. I get it, it's jokes, but at that point just do a comedy podcast or something, you're completely ignoring the movie.

The mail bag has its moments, but it's mostly used as a way for unfunny listeners to get the guys to run though tired, running bits. I kinda miss when they weren't playing up their "characters" so much.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 30, 2015

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

precision posted:

I'm glad Mom and Dad Save the World is a stay tuned because man, that movie is ripe for the picking.

The most tragic thing about that movie is that Jon Lovitz essentially quit SNL to do it, thinking it'd be a big hit. He bounced back, but his career now... yeah.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Anxiously awaiting their thoughts on the child bounty hunting industry.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

TheFallenEvincar posted:

it's a lot less socially shameful to be a white supremacist than a gamer imo

Aren't they basically the same thing at this point?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Nothing is going to top Yeah It's That Bad's weeks-long odyssey of being strung along by emails from a guy claiming to have gotten shot by a gangbanger at a movie theater and becoming a local hero who was writing everything from his hospital bed.

YITB died too young. Thanks, Internet creeps.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

From what I remember, Lady in the Water is a M. Night Shyamalan movie, co-starring M. Night Shyamalan, about why M. Night Shyamalan is great. And the villain is called a "narf" or something because M. Night Shyamalan clearly wasn't watching Pinky and the Brain in the '90s.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Thompsons posted:

These Matthew Broderick impressions are making me wish they'd do one on The Stepford Wives remake because holy poo poo. The wildly inconsistent tone, gay panic jokes, the obvious and hasty rewrites/reshoot of the ending, the entire thing is just one giant shitheap.

There's a great How Did this Get Made? about the 2006 movie Deck the Halls that posits Broderick has essentially been dead inside since accidentally killing two people in Ireland in the late '80s. At the very least it explains his choice of roles.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I've pretty much unsubscribed to every bad movie podcast but WHM at this point—and they're one of my favorites in general. I still check out The Flophouse occasionally, and while I like their personalities, at this point it seems like talking about the movie itself is a weary obligation they speed through so listeners can prompt them to do the same bits for the following 40 minutes. (And Dan generally seems too "sleepy" to watch movies or wrangle Elliott anymore.) And I kinda stopped listening to HDTGM around the June-ification of the show, though it's not her fault at all. It honestly felt a little patronizing every time some off-the-cuff remark or genuine attempt to be funny was met by "WHAT!? WHAT!?" followed by minutes of analysis. The "What is a Street Fighter" thing was definitely a funny moment, but man have they been sweatily trying to recreate it ever since.

Also, I'm someone who podcasts for a non-living, it kinda irks me when the more famous ones can get away with some pretty low-quality tech. There's one out there I really love and don't want to shame by name, but every time they play a sound or song by literally holding an iPhone up to the mic, I ask myself "Does anyone know the computer they're literally recording this through can do the same thing a million times better?"

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Steve brought up rape culture in the last episode, so I'm guessing they got a lovely comment about it.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm happy they doubled-down on the Howard Stern parody jokes even if they probably lost 2/3 of their audience.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I went back and listened to the Highlander II episode on a whim, and there are a TON of jokes about the possibility of Donald Trump ever being President... Yeah.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

My favorite part of this week's podcast is how they kept referring to Robert De Niro's character as "Dirty Grandpa."

precision posted:

I mean I don't really care about ads, I honestly don't, but if I were getting anywhere near $7K/month on my Patreon, I wouldn't do ads. Or I would do an ad-free version that you can listen to on the Patreon page specifically.

$7K/month split four (five?) ways is actually not too far from what we're getting now if you break it up into "per person", and we don't do ads currently. But it's their choice and it's not too intrusive.

But you still shouldn't make your Patreon listeners hear them.

Making a separate, ad-free podcast is actually a lot of extra work for guys who still have day jobs. I give to their Patreon and don't mind the ads because fast-forward buttons exist.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 11, 2017

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

servo106 posted:

I'm ridicouslly psyched for Overboard. That movie was a favorite of mine as a kid and having seen it recently as an adult that is one hosed up movie.

I called in this request a few times years ago, so I'm super excited they're finally doing it. It's possibly the most hosed-up comedy I happened to watch like 50 times as a kid because it was always on TV.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Midnightghoul posted:

If you are that upset about them having ads I hope you don't listen to them because you deserve the least amount of enjoyment in your life as possible

They all still have day jobs, too. Take that Patreon amount, subtract 30% (for taxes), and split it four ways, and that's what they're actually making per month.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I embarrassed myself in public by laughing at their "serious Predator scholar" character. "Get the tapes! AND the books!"

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I'M THE TAPE GUY. I TAPE ALL SORTS OF THINGS.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

precision posted:

Same, I thought Scream 3 or 4 was where they got bad

E: wait no, I think 4 is the one that's "good again", so 2 and 3 must be the bad ones

Aunt Jackie as the killer is kinda weird

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Officially crying with laughter over the whole "pizza insurance" bit, especially "Mr. Dominoes!"

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I never saw Rookie of the Year but i DEFINITELY remember all of the zingers from the movie being repeated by kids in my middle school

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

It came up on a recent episode but where did the "totally awesome 80s" character originate?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Their The Cat in the Hat episode had me crying with laughter. Literally one of the best WHMs of all time. OH YEAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Just a heads up that we had Steve on Talking Simpsons this week to discuss The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson https://talkingsimpsons.libsyn.com/talking-simpsons-the-city-of-new-york-vs-homer-simpson-with-stephen-sajdak