Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I'm trying to do my podcast homework but I'm having serious trouble buying Vin Diesel as an 800-year old witch hunter / secret agent. Only 20 minutes in but hearing this ridiculous dialogue come out of his face is amazing. Just wish he had kept his olden times wig and beard from the opening scene.

Michael Caine does the voiceover / plays Vin's Alfred (he's been on screen for 4 minutes and has already told Vin to find a nice woman and settle down). This is gonna be fantastic fodder for their impressions of him.

Edit: Ah, rats. Turns out he spends 90% of the movie in a magic coma.

Overall this was less of a trainwreck than I thought it would be. Definitely a step up from Russell Madness. The only really cringeworthy parts are when random characters refer to Vin having known historical figures like Beethoven, Napoleon, Stalin and ... *sly wink* ... Hitler. And appearantly they were all witches or something. Nothing anyone does in the third act made much sense when you stop to think about it but that's kind of par for the course.

The movie's biggest flaw is that Ygritte from GOT is in it as The Good Witch Who Helps Vin and we never see her boobs. Oh, and giving your main character a flaming sword as his signature weapon but only having him use it for 90 seconds total at the beginning and end.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Can't remember if they've ever talked about their stance on Verhoeven in previous LRMs (I vaguely remember them mentioning Showgirls as a movie that won't be on the show) but I doubt they'd do that one. Also ST isn't bad, it's just Verhoeven at his craziest and the satire aspect of it gets kind of muddled. It doesn't help that all the violence and boobs made a lot of critics at the time skip right over that part of it.

Maybe one of the DTV sequels?

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 26, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Andrew is the host/more "normal" sounding guy. Eric is the deeper, more quiet sounding voice, and Steven is the one with the voice that raises up higher and uses a lot of inflection, question mark?
Seriously, they don't even change lineups or have the guy who kind of sounds like Steve and Andrew's voices smushed together on anymore.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Question for next week's movie: Does the Daredevil director's cut actually make it better or am I just gonna subject myself to 30 more minutes of poo poo?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I've never seen it. I mean, I vaguely remember coming across it on TV 10 years ago, going "ugh, Ben Affleck in a comic book movie? No thanks" and moving on. And I think someone linked me to the playground fight at some point, though I can't remember it.

I was just asking because you'll usually find someone on the internet arguing even for the shittiest DCs, so I wanted to make sure the good things I read about it were at least somewhat grounded in reality. At the end of the day I'm still gonna spend at least 103 minutes doing homework for a bad movie podcast, so better flow, more violence and a Coolio subplot definitely make a difference. :)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

That's all I could think about through the whole thing.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

as we all should

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

My favorite part was when they went through Keanu doing all the Nolan Batman characters.

I never thought Cabin took anything away from the show but man, the silliness has just reached new heights now that it's the same three guys every week.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, Man of Tai Chi is super underrated. Keanu's direction is solid and his portrayal of the Evil Fight Club Owner / End Boss is just right. The protagonist is a veteran fight choreographer / stunt guy who became best buds with Keanu while shooting the Matrix and it's his only starring role to date, he does a great job too.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I'm still giggling about a bunch of teens having their mass makeout session ruined by Schindler's List. Nothing will top that girl bleeding all over her date in a theater though.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

"Ah yes, it's Saturday morning. Time to sit down and watch a nice Gaspar Noé movie with the whole family."

a thing NOBODY ELSE HAS EVER SAID

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

What's wrong with Clifford? I wish someone had shown me that as a kid.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 24, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Martin Short playing a child? The entire movie?
Yes, it's a weird-rear end performance but he commits fully and goes balls to the wall. No idea why anyone thought making the movie was a good idea but the end result is oddly fascinating and surreal. I can guarantee you I would've loved the poo poo out of it as a kid, doubly so because he's annoying the piss out of Charles Grodin (who was very beloved in our family for his work in the Beethoven franchise) through the entire thing.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 24, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Someone post the GIF
what, this one?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yay, Cabin from the bunker. "Dennis Quaid seems like the kind of guy you'd have to teach to NOT drink out of the toilet."

Also kinda bummed that none of them have seen Embrace of the Serpent because I thought it was fantastic and was curious about their opinions on it. At least Andrew had a nice shout-out to Boy & The World.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I somehow never even put together that Samurai Pizza Cats was a TMNT ripoff until they mentioned it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

that sure looks like 127 pages of Road Rovers fanfic :wth:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I'm wringing my hands

menacingly

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Slantedfloors posted:

It's an okay movie, but it's kind of hard to watch.
I remember watching it on TV when I was 10 and being thoroughly weirded out by it. It has Pacino in crazy makeup and early 90s Madonna does her thing and sometimes they meet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWMtldd70Xs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWqV_-RS78c

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Count Chocula posted:

When I saw Rob Zombie at a festival I thought his outfit and makeup were way better than his music.
Rob Zombie is all about style over substance. He also has a severe case of I MARRIED A HOT ACTRESS SO ALL MY MOVIES MUST FEATURE HER PROMINENTLY disease. All I remember about Lords of Salem is the part where it turns into a music video and she's riding a goat in slow-mo.

That said, still pretty psyched for his People vs Nightmare Clowns movie.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Looking at the cast on IMDB for this movie from the year 2000 it has Thora Birch (sure), Marlon Wayans (of course) and also a random Tom Baker cameo (what the poo poo).

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

quote:

PLUS: Nick Nolte as Grandpa Sajdak in A Steve Sajdak Thanksgiving.
SOLD

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Eric if you're reading this: Congrats, I had no interest in Zach Snyder's latest lovely offering but thanks to you guys I'm gonna watch the 200+ Minute Fuckoff Overkill Cut when it gets dumped on us. Thanks a bunch.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The reshoot thing got debunked afaik. Take Devin Faraci with a grain of salt, especially regarding DC stuff.
Also don't take his lovely podcast, even with several grains of salt.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, if you want to talk "overdesigned characters" then we need to talk about Wayne Reynold's stuff.
is he like rob liefeld's little cousin or something

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Shirec posted:

Ooh, they should do a romcom month.
yase please

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I thought years of listening to podcasts had sucked all the fun out of Giamatti impressions but this made me laugh so hard I cried.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Corek posted:

Have they ever actually done a Larry Clark movie?
I haven't seen Kids (or any other of the guy's poo poo) since I was a dumb teenager myself but they seem way too depressing to make fun of. There are only so many ways you can say "yup, this guy definitely likes to film naked teens".

toldya

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

TetsuoTW posted:

On the other, it means we live in the universe where Kids exists. Not only that, but the universe where Larry Clark wasn't immediately jailed after someone saw the movie.
Nah, I think it's completely valid to make a movie where teens skate and do drugs and are naked a lot (because those are things that teens do), but if that's the movie you make over and over again with fresh batches of kids for 20 years it's probably also valid to say that you like to look at and film naked teenagers.

Like, looking at IMDB his latest from 2014 was a drama about self-destructive naked skateboarders ... In Paris!

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 20, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, I actually never heard of Larry Clark until this episode, so I looked up "Kids" on Wikipedia.

Yikes.
It's definitely the worst 90s thing I remember actually liking at the time it came out. 14-year old me thought that ending where a guy gets AIDS by raping a girl his buddy had previously given it to while taking her virginity was all kinds of profound, man.

I guess most of my friends back then being skaters and all of us starting to experiment with weed and beer when it came out played into it too, but still.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 22, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Turkish 70s / 80s cinema has some wild stuff, they just didn't give a poo poo about copyrights and ripped off whatever characters they thought would sell. I seriously doubt the WHM guys have never heard of it though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turksploitation

The only one I've really seen (instead of just looking at Youtube clips) is the one with Santo & Capt. America vs Evil Turkish Spiderman

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 25, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Poor Toony Hale deserves better than this poo poo.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

look guys, if you're gonna pee in the shower, don't pee on your toes

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

He has veep
I know, and thank gently caress he landed that six years after AD got cancelled.

I kind of want to watch today's movie just because I watched the last Larry TCG thing they had on the podcast and it was him in full kid-friendly CGI slapstick mode, at least this one sounds like it would give me the full shitbag experience.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 26, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I KNOW YOU WON'T READ THIS ON THE AIR

think again *giggle*

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, it was mostly a joke.
oh no you think

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The amount of people who post stuff like that in here before googling the show's name is mind-boggling to me.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

I want Sean Connery Jackass.
I recently rewatched all the Jackass TV episodes for the first time, this bit almost made me crash my bike from giggling too hard.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which, I was not expecting Eric's reaction to the TV series at the end of the episode.
Yeah, I've seen maybe half of the first movie but the show was completely my jam as a kid.

But it's also in that weird hazy spot in my brain along with stuff like Gargoyles where I remember the premise and the theme and a handful of moments but no actual episodes. I can't even remember what Richie's role was except "peek shockedly around corners while The Highlander fights people".

Look at this loving intro, it's so 90s it hurts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJt9p-sHho

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The only thing that made me roll my eyes about their Civil War ep was when they went on about how refreshingly little "magic" there was in the movie due to Hulk & Thor's absence, even though there's a prominently featured character called SCARLET WITCH who has Vaguely Defined Mind Powers that require a lot of dramatic hand gestures.