Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
It was long enough ago that I may have forgotten it being a real attempt at a blockbuster, but I seem to remember Stealth's marketing push was somewhat lukewarm. Like the studio focus tested it, realized they were sitting on cinematic garbage, but since there was that much money levied, it couldn't be completely dropped. It just sort of limped into theaters.

Whatever happened, it came across to me at the time as a brainless middling action film that looked perhaps a bit too shiny for how it was positioned.

Looking at Foxx's IMDB page, a lot of his recent output could be WHM material in terms of being bad movies, although I know they shy away from unfunny comedies for obvious reasons. I totally forgot Bait was a thing, although it's definitely not a blockbuster.

Also, on IMDB one of the plot keywords for Any Given Sunday is "male pubic hair". :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

Yam Slacker
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is an unbelievable drop off in quality from the first movie. As has been mentioned it's incomprehensible and amazingly incompetent. Even at a fairly young age I recognized how bad the Native American mysticism stuff was. It's like the vision quest scene from Wayne's World 2, but played straight. It had some bizarre magical subway system that ran across the world and looked terrible.They also kill Johnny Cage in the first five minutes because they couldn't coax Linden Ashby to return in the role. Also, Animalities! (Terrible CGI creations fighting)

I saw this poo poo in theaters because the theater manager was an rear end in a top hat, and pinched us trying to sneak into an R rated movie (that movie was Alien Ressurection, so it wasn't that much of a trade down). It also meant that my friend might be the only person on Earth who saw Mortal Kombat: Annihilation in theaters more than once.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

Yam Slacker
It better not be Back to the Future III.

Edit: I know this probably doesn't count as a valid movie for WHM, but I was just looking at Chris Lloyd's Wikipedia page and holy poo poo he appeared in the interactive theater experience Mr. Payback. Also, Pirahna 3DD which is barely a movie as well. I get the impression that Christopher Lloyd doesn't turn down many roles.

Heteroy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 10, 2015

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

Yam Slacker
Tammy and the T Rex, just because I can't believe it's an actual thing.

If I want to hear them be hilariously angry at a movie I might suggest Drop Dead Fred.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

Yam Slacker
I saw eight crazy nights when Comedy Central got the rights to air it one year. I forget how much I actually watched, but I knew it was going to be completely worthless, and it still managed to fall far below my expectations somehow. It's ugly and stupid and crass in every way possible.

Also, as a Jew, Hannukah was always noted as being a festival, as opposed to the actual holidays that have any devotional importance. It's kind of like the Jewish version of Cinco de Mayo, in that it's a celebration of an incidental military victory that has taken on new life as a time for secular/non-nationalistic revelry far beyond its original significance.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

Yam Slacker
Fun episode. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is far and away the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters. I had played the games up to that point and seen the first movie, but I never gave a poo poo about the plot because it had always been so perfunctory.

In fact, the only reason I saw it was because I was with friends and we bought the tickets as cover to sneak into an R rated film, and they got caught, leading to me getting caught. We got pushed into seeing the poo poo we paid for. Fun fact: That R rated film we were sneaking into was Alien Resurrection. I still haven't ever decided if I got the better end of that, seeing MKA instead. One of the friends I was with had seen MK: Annihilation already, too, but was thoughtful enough not to spoil how Cage dies within about ten minutes.

Everything about it was cheap and wrong. The whole thing was just so laughable. The inclusion of animalities has to be one of the most ham-handed things in the history of cinema. Even with no budget and no prior experience it's hard to imagine someone making a film that bad, by accident.

It is a pretty good companion to Street Fighter the movie, although MK:A lacks the epic tale of its troubled production.

I can't think of a major film release in my lifetime that was as incompetently made. Maybe Highlander 2: The Quickening?

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

Yam Slacker
If anything, GI Joe is even less grounded than most episodes of Captain Planet. A show where the spirit of Mother Earth entrusts five teenagers with magical rings that control the elements (Love is the fifth element) and can combine to summon an ecological superhero.

I'd say that most relatively recent cartoons, including that YooHoo thing that was suggested, don't work well, in the same way that movies like Sharknado don't really work all that well for laughing at. Even when they are poo poo, because they are intentionally being ridiculous it kneecaps any attempt at making fun of how ridiculous the premise and execution are, because the creators are in on the joke. It would be like making fun of the old Adam West Batman. They drat well knew what they were making was ridiculous fluff, so it's pretty much immune to ridicule.

Ultimately, the show works best when it's laughing at the material that it covers. It's a similar reason that most comedies get passed on. Unless the thing is a total train wreck, or time has been so incredibly unkind that it looks very questionable from a modern perspective, it's just going to be the hosts either getting angry at how bad it is, or getting on board and enjoying the movie on its own terms.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

Yam Slacker
I actually do know that because I think anyone who grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons in that era has the show's theme indelibly etched in their brain, along with TMNT and Saved By the Bell. Although it wasn't really heart in that sense either. More like the power of empathy, or whatever. I'm pretty sure thing ring was useless on any of the villains because they were evil.

Being like Aquaman but for all animals was okay I guess, but please just give me the power of air or fire or earth. Water is about equal by the Aquaman is lame equation.

Jesus, look up the cast of voice actors. I remember it being impressive at the time, but there may not be a show in history that comes close to that. Ted Turner had some real pull in the 90's.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

Yam Slacker

DangerDummy! posted:

I had to spend lunchtime with two arsonists, a cutter, and "the weird kid" for a couple weeks, though.
That sounds like one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Let's segregate all of the students we suspect might be mentally unstable, put the in a small group, and leave them under limited supervision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

Yam Slacker
My mom let me watch both Pink Flamingos and Crash before I was 10, because she thought they were hilariously hosed up and she was an unfit parent.

My dad didn't give a gently caress either so he would watch slasher films with me when I was little.

Although that all isn't fun mailbag material as it is exhibit A, in some kind of future psych evaluation.