Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Firstborn posted:

No. They don't have guests. Nobody is forcing you to listen, either. :tipshat:

Actually, they occasionally have a guest named Justin Case on, who is an expert in disaster movies. He's the only one I can think of, though.

Also, I just don't get how people can have trouble telling them apart. They all have rather distinctive voices. Maybe it would take a while to match each voice with a name, but not knowing if there are 2, 3, or 4 of them on doesn't make any sense to me. Usually it's 3, big episodes have all 4 of them.

Now, the podcast I have with my brothers, I can see having a hard time telling us apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

My favorite episode has to be Hard Target. It's the episode I've used to get several people into the podcast. Their Wilford Brimley impression is always hilarious, but it's never going to be as funny, to me, as when he finds out who is directing Hard Target.

".....WHHHAT?!"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Tuff Turf is amazing if only for the majesty that is Jack Mack. "JACK MACK MAKE YOU DANCE. IN ALL SERIOUSNESS....JACK MACK NEEDS SOME COCAINE." Though the sheer horror of Blame it on Rio is pretty amazing too especially the Suicide Film Festival.

Also, Steve's story of the guy yelling at his kid during the He-Man Christmas Special episode is in the top 5 funniest moments in the show's history for me.

Blame It On Rio is indeed a great episode, but, as they point out, not beginner WHM. It's advance course WHM.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Today's WHM was just okay until they got to the jokes about the old man who evaluates pictures of turtles and Kiefer Sutherland, at which point it was the funniest thing I'd heard in months.

"Two words: Jackson Pollack." Agreed, that section was incredible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I think around the time they changed music Andrew also said something to the effect of, "Hey, I don't hear you volunteering to find the right music, so shut up."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

My absolute favorite episode. Amazing stuff.

DoombatINC posted:

Blame it on Rio: I have never in my life heard a group of people more uncomfortable with describing the plot of a film

This is a great episode, but as they themselves say, this is Advanced Level WHM, and should not be listened to by new comers (mainly because it's far so much creepier than usual).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I still don't really understand the concept of Podcast Networks. But if they provide pictures like this, why not?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yaws posted:

How the frick do I access the WHM ON-SCREEN episodes? I want to check out their opinions on the last Star Trek but I can't seem to find it in the app I bought? Am I doing something wrong?

I've very inept at technology.

Did you buy it on the Podcast Source app? (Terrible app, used to be Podcast Box I think, but it just got a redesign and new name) This one: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-podcast-source/id419361759?mt=8

Because that's what I bought it on. And the newest On-Screen episode appears to be from March 2014. Kind of sucks that I bought the app with them saying I'd have access to the bonus episodes, and now they stopped that and only sell them individually, but oh well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

User-Friendly posted:

I have the same app, and I can see all the On-screen episodes, up to January 2015.

Ah, okay, I was wrong, I do have one from January. I guess it's just that they don't do many On-screen episodes?

I bought the app because On-Screens, side order of sleeze, and Animation Damnation were only in there. Now it seems like they basically never do the first two shows, and Animation gets posted on the main feed. I don't mind having thrown them a few bucks, I get free funny every week. I just wonder why they changed the model like that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still don't get the point of Lola Bunny.

They wanted to add a female character, which is a good goal to have, they just totally screwed up the execution.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BlameSpacePod posted:

Ugh, those WHM knuckleheads with their ads. You know, I doubt they'd go that far again. I bet they know to reign it in now. I doubt they can even pay their bills. Sad.

...wait a minute...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

dr_rat posted:

If you going to do an ad do it right, and this is pretty much the best way. The audience got a book recommendation and audible got its plug.

That only really works for a store with a bit of variety and if the people doing the plug get a choice in what particular items they mention, but for those cases it does actually make for an interesting ad.

Wait theres four of them! Man I must of listened to even episode and I always though there was just three in the crew.

I should probably get my ears checked or something...
....also pretty terrible at names.

getting old :(

Mostly it's just three of them, but sometimes all four of them are there. Usually big episodes, like episode 200 for Red Heat, or Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull (which I think was episode 100, but I'm too lazy to check).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I haven't listened to the WHM episode on this yet, but holy poo poo I can't believe I remember this. Like a jolt to the memory.

I love that they got Jordan and Gretsky, arguably the greatest their respective sports ever saw, and with Bo Jackson (who was great, don't get me wrong), mainly because they could get two sports stars for the price of one.

"We need stars from basketball, hockey, football, and baseball, but 4 stars is gonna be expensive...wait...I have an idea..."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Evil Mastermind posted:

They actually do make that observation, too.

e: although they really didn't :airquote:get:airquote: Jordan.

By that, I meant that I assume they had to somehow acquire likeness rights?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

JP3 is mediocre at worst. And the pterodactyl scene is pretty fun. JP2 is just plain bad.

Nothing can redeem that gymnastics scene in JP2. Nothing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So in The Lost World episode, they quickly mention that Dennis Nedry was either Hammond's son or nephew. What? Was that a thing? I always assumed he was a contractor, hence the line, "Get Nedry's people on the phone." Was this actually mentioned in the movie and I've just never noticed it? Or something from the book?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Evil Mastermind posted:

He's not related to Hammond, he just works at the park.

That's what I thought, so I have no idea where that came from, but all 4 of them were in agreement that he was either his son or nephew.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, this episode was fantastic. Especially when they talked about what should happen to Hammond now.

"He should be in chains!"
"He should be at The Hague!"

"The dinosaurs started the job. And this pillow will finish it."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

So uh, which of the WHM dudes are goons?

Going out on a limb here....thinking BlameSpacePod is probably the one who runs the Blame It On Outer Space podcast.

It's Eric.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kalensc posted:

The others could be as well, I think was more his question.
Ohhhhhh. My mistake. You're totally right.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BlameSpacePod posted:

I disagree!

Okay, SA only WHM hype machine post: BIOOS fans will get a kick out of WHM next week.

The show comes up a lot in this thread as well.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527978

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bolek posted:

How about a return to Outworld with Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

We did this for my podcast, and it was one of the harder movies we've reviewed. The plot is very hard to step through, because none of it makes sense. Characters enter and leave having added nothing. Describing the terrible acting of James Remar is difficult to say the least. And it's also hard to explain just how overall cheap the whole thing looks.

It's the only movie I've had a hard time really summing up what is so bad about it. Because it legit does not feel like a movie, but a SyFy pilot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gyges posted:

How dare you disrespect President Ford forcing Gary Oldman to get off his plane.

Agreed, Air Force One is great, what the hell.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

precision posted:

Mortal Kombat just got added to Netflix. It is every bit as amazing and hilarious as I remember. :colbert:

I've never actually watched Annihilation, I feel like I should though.

You shouldn't. It's an awful nothing of a movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys ran from 1995 to 1999. Kull came out smack in the middle of that, at probably the single point in history where people would actually want to go see a movie with him in it.

And yet, they didn't.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Exactly, because that movie is loving awful. Also, yeah, Krull is better, that's not even a question. Krull owns.

Oh, I thought you were saying that to argue that it was a blockbuster. Never mind.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

JediTalentAgent posted:

Could 1996 been a worse year overall than 1997?

...Bio-Dome...

Yes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

Andrew didn't update the WHM Letterboxd page yet but I think he did spoil next week's episode if you want to know: http://i.imgur.com/8qLQ3p3.png

I've never seen this movie, but I have seen the documentary Jaime Kennedy made about how angry he got at how much everyone hated it, Heckler. And it was pretty loving terrible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

e X posted:

Seriously, he made a documentary about how wrong everybody was hating a lovely Jim Carrey-less Jim Carrey sequel?

Yeah, I watched it because it was billed in Netflix as a documentary talking to comedians about hecklers, which sounded like an interesting premise. But then I realized Kennedy was the host, and I should have bailed. And then the movie kept shifting focus more and more to him. And by the end he was finding reviewers who savaged the film and trying to make them feel bad about it.

It was one of the worst things I've ever watched.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bobservo posted:

They've said their ages on the show before, and I think everyone was born around 84-85, which would make them 13 and 14 in 1998. I'm only stating this because I watched Pokemon when I was 16 and am only slightly ashamed.

It's a fine line, but they were born in like 1983-1984, and are 31-32, like me. And, for some totally anecdotal evidence, I always saw Pokemon as something my little brother was into, and not me, and he's 4 years younger than me.

So it's a fine line, but they'd likely be just on the "Didn't watch it" side of the line, like me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

Jupin recently gave lovely Letterboxd reviews for both Dragonheart and LXG, but he directly confirmed the latter is an upcoming stay tuned, so I think that's this week's ep. We'll probably get both eventually though.

They posted a picture from Dragonheart on their Facebook page, so I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.

Though, it would be hilarious if the hint at the end of this week's episode was, again, Sean Connery.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BlameSpacePod posted:

I'm really starting to feel that with WHM we can't do anything right.

As with most everything on the Internet, you're usually better off never reading comments on the content you put out there, and instead check subscribes and metrics on the episodes themselves to figure out if people like what you're doing. That being said, some of your best episodes are for movies you guys end up recommending. I've gotten several people to listen to your show by having them listen to the episode on Hard Target, and episode I'm pretty sure all of you loved it (can't remember if you, specifically, were on that episode, sorry).

Also, the Camp Nowhere episode was amazing, so screw anyone who didn't like it for whatever reason. Can't wait for Dragonheart tomorrow, as I remember it being a very silly movie.

edit: In other words, this:

PUGGERNAUT posted:

It's okay to like a movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 6, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Eric Movie may or may not be reading this anymore but I just have to say that WHM caused me to buy a physical actual copy of Invisible Child when the episode first came out. poo poo is crazy.
Did I hear them right on the Dragonheart episode that they're going on vacation? I wonder if they'll do what they did before and put up some more older episodes on the app.

:golfclap: Incredible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DangerDummy! posted:

I was expecting them to hit on exactly why Tank or Dozer (can't remember which) wasn't in the Matrix sequels. the actor went all weird stalker and acting up at promotional appearances and stuff, and started harassing the Wachowskis about poo poo. They had to fire him.

I'm phone posting at work or I'd find a link. It wasn't anything too crazy, but I remember it being a pretty interesting career self-sabotage.

Oh wow, I always just assumed the actor demanded more money or something, and they said, "Uh, you hardly matter to these movies. Watch, we're replacing you with the guy from Lost."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bobkatt013 posted:

At that point it was Oz and the reason he got shanked.

Oh right, Lost was 2004.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jiro posted:

Going back and listening to the Revolutions episode, I can't help but feel in the minority for liking it more than Reloaded. I always felt as though in the first movie the gunplay was necessary in order to have some kind of even footing against agents. The kung fu was a last resort in an "oh gently caress I'm going to die better stall the agent so everyone else can get away" tactic unless they were going up against regular cops and SWAT. Even though agents were stronger and faster they're still bound by the rules of the world and would still be unable to function with bullets lodged in their heads.

Reloaded was just ALL martial arts fighting, and not a lot of gunplay. So to me I would see more and more flaws in how they'd perform and make it look decent for Western actors trying to do wire work. Plus just fatigue setting in especially when the brawl scene turns Neo into a cgi spinning top. I really liked in Revolutions they went back to physically destroying a set with bullets in the beginning. And I liked seeing the attempted defense of the dock with those beer belly exo suits, its the Neo poo poo that was so loving BORING, up until he gets his eyes melted shut, and him and Trinity permanently whisper all their monotone dialogue that is somehow NEGATIVE acting.

I actually agree, though yeah, we're in the minority. Reloaded was incredibly boring. They went from point A to point B because someone told them to, and there are no real stakes. The kung fu is something people do because, well, why not? He fights the Oracle's guard because they haven't fought anyone in a little bit, then they stop, smile, and go see the Oracle. Pointless. And almost every fight is in beat, as in each punch and kick comes at a regular *hit* *hit* *hit*, making the whole thing seem more like a dance than a fight for your life. When Neo meets the new agents at the beginning he fights them, saying "Upgrades", I guess to explain why he doesn't just blow them up like he did Smith at the end of the first one, but he doesn't even try. Because, again, we need to have kung fu for no reason. The highway scene was interesting, but again is an example of doing something because we did it in the first one, and there's way too much slow down speed up shots, for no reason here. There are no stakes to almost everything they do.

The third one finally has some stakes, and they're going towards goals, not checkpoints someone sent them to. The dock fight has some silly moments, but it's an intense fight for their lives. Same with the Dragonball Z fight at the end, silly, but at least something is finally happening.

Don't get me wrong, they're both bad. But Reloaded commits the greatest sin of being so incredibly dull and pointless.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Do I need to look up the characters of Entourage on wikipedia before I listen to this? I never watched that show.

Not really. Here's what you need to know:

Big actor hits it big, hangs out with and employs his friends (and brother) from before he hit it big.

Vincent "Vince" Chase - The famous actor and Mark Wahlberg stand in. He's an rear end in a top hat.
Eric "E" Murphy - Vince's best friend and manager. He's an rear end in a top hat.
Turtle - Vince's driver. He used to be fat. He's an rear end in a top hat.
Johnny "Drama" Chase - Vince's brother and cook. Used to be semi famous in his own right, now hangs off the celebrity of his brother. Donny Wahlberg stand in. He's an rear end in a top hat.
Ari Gold - Not a friend from the old neighborhood, but Vince's agent. Played by Jeremy Piven, was the only reason to watch the show for a little while because he was a funny rear end in a top hat, but his shtick got old. And, as mentioned, he's an rear end in a top hat.

There, you're caught up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Are there any of their old pre iTunes episodes that are specifically worth checking out?

Gymkata. It's episode 54, so it's relatively early in their run, but it's a fantastic episode. Especially when you consider how much better it was than How Did This Get Made's episode on the same movie, which was only okay. Their bit on how bored the people at the later stations must be, and how surprised they would be when someone finally made it to them, was when I fell in love with the show.

Also, I have no idea when their iTunes episodes start, but their Hard Target episode is my favorite they've ever done.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Blame it on Rio.

Be warned, this is not an episode for beginners (as they jokingly warn at the beginning). WHM After Dark. And one hosed up movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I've been debating it, but :effort:

Those are the main things I know about Sandler anyway. Well, that and how he orders the VFX people to digitally shrink his nipples anytime he has a shirtless scene.

Those poor VFX people.

I agree, more stories would be appreciated, and that you should totally write into the mailbag. Even if you just copy/paste the few things you mentioned in this thread, I think they'd love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Ahh poo poo I forgot my favorite one of all: They had to do extremely expensive re-shoots of Joe Dirt 2 because when they were cutting it all together they realized they didn't get a single shot of the female lead's face. Just boobs and lower.

Oh and Ridiculous 6 was delayed because they were scheduled to start shooting in the high desert of New Mexico in February and not a single person involved with the production, not one, knew that it could snow in the desert.

And Adam, who also has digital double-chin reduction in most of his films, almost fired the girl who played Lady Lisa in Pixels because she was "too fat."

Early in my career I had a run-in with these people that instilled such a hatred of them in me that my friends have been bringing me Happy Madison dirt ever since. I think that is everything I know though. I'll be sure to pop back in if I remember more.

Wonderful. Everything about this, wonderful.