Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

I'm always a week or two behind so I'm still on President Chili Cheese Pup. The talk about no big alien reveal and sex with Q*bert made me think of a better movie that did both right, Galaxy Quest. Tony Shalhoub's character was banging a tentacle creature and it was awesome.

Bucky Larson would be even more infamous if Jack and Jill didn't catch so much hate. That was a real banner year for Happy Madison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

RIPD. If Steve is the last to go who's going to periscope Dragula at his funeral?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

I'm pretty sure the haunted swimming pool on Unsolved Mysteries they were talking about is actually aboard the Queen Mary. If you can't accept the 100% authenticity of that haunting I don't what to tell you.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

This appears to be the last five minutes
Patton Oswalt on Gallagher

I think Gallagher has had multiple rants regarding comics using water bottles and stools. I think the idea is that water bottles are a prop for comedians that can't smoothly transition from one bit to another and that it's rude to disengage from the audience while they sip water and think of their next joke. But instead of sounding like a an interesting guy with thirty years of experience to share he's just an angry old man. :(

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Cacator posted:

Who's the guy who pronounces mutant as mu-TAHNT and villain as vil-LANE? It bothers me.

It's going to bother me a lot more now that someone else has mentioned it out. I want to say the vil-LANE thing is directed toward over the top characters that are super evil solely because they're the villain of the movie, but mispronouncing a word on purpose is still annoying.

Illinois Smith posted:

Also yes, Mrs. Doubtfire and Blame It On Rio are indeed top shelf WHM.

Blame It On Rio is indeed on the top shelf, tucked away behind some books. We only take it down after the kids have gone to bed because this is We Hate movies: After Dark. It's a fantastic episode but I agree with them that it shouldn't be anyone's first episode. I think any recommendation list need to include a Lifetime movie; they're great episodes and they also introduce this big, hidden genre of film.

Edit: He just called Suicide Squad vil-LANEs in the Speed 2 episode. Whatever, I still love the show.

The Twinkie Czar fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 10, 2016

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

I enjoyed how the other two were so eager to bash Cheeseburger in Paradise but he was just happily recalling getting drunk at the airport.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

The last time they mentioned Hell on Wheels I was curious, because I was still really enjoying the first season. I finished season 2 this week and I'm done. Three more seasons? You can keep it.

Kind of like Paul Giamatti, I feel real sorry for Colm Meaney. His characters are easy to make fun of but it seems like he's had a good career.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

And speaking of How Did this Get Made?, their show spawned an ongoing series of articles on Slash Film looking into the behind the scenes history of the movies HDTGM does. They get some impressive interviews, including a fantastic phone interview with Mel Brooks (executive producer of Solarbabies).

Their live shows still have a lot of annoying crap going on.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Don't you worry about Frank Welker

Frank's Website posted:

> Secondly, I was interested in knowing whether you are in the upcoming Simpsons Movie?

A few years back Dan "C" did Santa's Little Helper in a rehearsal and unfortunately for me ... did it a little too good. The producers thought ... "Hmmm, Dan barks pretty good, and we are already paying him and he seems to like doing the dog thing ... why do we need to pay Welker who comes in here, spends less than an hour, eats all the doughnuts, refuses to come to rehearsals ... let's just give the drat dog to Dan!" Bingo ... I'm out. I did do lots of shows that needed sound effects and weird sounds, but Santa is without this little helper.

Oh, and no ... nothing in the movie.

> I noticed a Santa's Little Helper themed episode [this season] and you weren't credited at the end.

I wanted a raise ... most of what they asked me to do was wild and wacky, but it also almost always hurt my throat. So, I asked for a raise ... that is why you haven't seen me. They are really great people over there, but they have a rule about "top of the show" for guest performers and I fell under that consideration.

But of course he has a good attitude about it on his own site. I bet that even by 1995 there were some issues with the main cast's salaries and Welker was a problem. If you pay him more for being so accomplished then another cast member wants a pay bump because he's just the dog. Dan's getting paid enough already, he can do some dog sounds.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

What I find infuriating about HDTGM is when it's clear they barely watched the movie. Jason has said he just finished watching it on his phone in the cab to the studio, June has claimed the movie made her nauseous so she watched it ten minutes at a time, and a couple guests have admitted to just not watching the whole movie. Then they come to something that's merely poorly explained in the movie and they go off on it likes it's a massive plot hole. God help us if it's a live show, then Paul's going to run into the audience with a microphone so Paul W. Reddit can argue with them about what really happened.

I think HDTGM introduced me to the idea of bad movie podcasts and lead me to WHM. It's hard for me to give up on it. I need to listen to their No Holds Barred show again, with Thomas Lennon going full Hulkster, and remember the good times.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Crocobile posted:

Do you mean Mantzoukas? TBH I felt like a lot of the "dumb June" bits were Mantzoukas making a huge deal out of every admittedly ineloquent (though not that crazy once I got what she was saying) or benign/inane observation June made.

Yeah, June is only part of the problem. She needs cohosts that know how to draw out her ideas and when to just get the show back on track. I think one of the moments that spawned the dumb June gimmick was toward the end of Street Fighter when she asks "What exactly is a Street Fighter?". Jason howls with laughter and repeats the question while their guest tries to explain it with other movies and video games. But she's the only one not taking the title for granted. She's confused because that title for that movie make no drat sense. She had an insight into what a broken adaptation it was but they treat it like a joke.

So We Hate Movies, there's a podcast that doesn't piss me off. I thought Dracula 2000 was a great choice for a rerun, particularly because of their annoyance at the movie going meta by including the book as fiction in their world. It pairs nicely with This Ain't Yo Momma's Dracula, Dracula Untold.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Firstborn posted:

When does the show come back? I can never remember, then when I finally check back, I've missed a dozen new episodes (not a bad feeling). Is it Oct for the Spooktacular?

My picks for request month:

Laserblast

(not strictly a list of bad movies, just ones I'd like to hear the guys discuss)

There are several MST3K movies that I would love to hear them do and Laserblast might be the best choice. MST3K's format doesn't exactly lend itself to discussing things at length or bringing in outside information. Laserblast came out the year after Star Wars and Close Encounters and clearly wanted to ride that craze. They didn't have a good enough story or budget to do that but they were still audacious enough to blow up a Star Wars billboard on screen. I would really like to hear them tear into it. I like even more to hear their disgust at how gross the human form was in the 70's.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

I just stumbled over some trivia that I haven't seen covered. The Screen Rant article 15 Shocking Things You Didnít Know About The Terrible Supergirl Movie doesn't say much that's shocking or even new other than that Demi Moore almost played Lucy Lane. You know what also came out it 1984? Wikipedia cuts to the chase:

The Wiki Courier posted:

Demi Moore auditioned for and was cast as character Lucy Lane, but bowed out to make the film Blame It on Rio.
:stare:
Was the fourth film in the Superman franchise so clearly doomed that a young actress bailed to do a sex comedy? Was Blame It on Rio ultimately the better career choice? It was just another terrible movie but Supergirl was a notable flop.

Also,

The IMDB Tribune posted:

A film container, simply stating the words 'do not use' was discovered at Pinewood Studios in London. The negative inside the container was the full 138 minute Director's cut of the movie. Anchor Bay subsequently released this version on special edition DVD, limited to 50,000 copies.

The guys mention how much they would rather have watched the shortest version. Looks like the 138 minute cut came about because of convenience as much as demand.

squirt squirt

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Joseph Bologna (Rio) and Peter O'Toole (Supergirl) were both in My Favorite Year.

Stanley Donen (Rio) also directed Bedazzeled starring Peter Cook. Cook played Nigel in Supergirl.

The evidence is just forming but I'm pretty sure Blame it on Rio is the center of the cinematic universe.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Howard the Duck was better.

Well there's a phrase not often uttered in this universe.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Is he looking like Lorne Michaels or am I just Canada racist?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

The RiffTrax episode of Samurai Cop is included with Amazon Pride, a good option for seeing is believing.

Cameron had a hell of a niche Star Trek career. 43 appearances including two movies as Ensign Kellogg, stand in for Gates McFadden and Jeri Ryan, and occasional bumpy-headed alien. Good work if you can get it.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

bobkatt013 posted:

Does that make it mandatory the TNG cast has to go to her movie premieres and wear sweatpants?

Cameron overheard the talk in the Paramount commissary, Rick Berman made the movie premiere mandatory, and that was just the beginning. After a few weeks of "Ensign Kellogg, set a course for... a view of your vagina" Berman knew he better give her a Trek career for life.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Hey. HEY. Will somebody in this thread smoke a joint already?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Where can I contribute to the crowdfunding for Blame it on Rio 2: Thank God for Giggles?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

thrawn527 posted:

This is Chris Cabin.

Looks to me like a skinny John Tenta (pro wrestler Earthquake). Apparently an awesome guy in real life. RIPD.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Gene Simmons and Kiss actually made a deal with WCW, not WWF, don't tell me it didn't happen.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Violator posted:

I may be missing the joke, but this isnít true. He was never a cop and wrestled without a mask before the Kane character.

It's true, I heard the same thing from an older kid. He was forced to retire as a cop after being seen doing nude-alitys at the arcade.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The best part is KISS insisted that he be in main events but he was utter poo poo so WCW would put him on early and just call the match a "special main event". I feel like the guys would get a kick out of The Death Of WCW.

Page after page of tv ratings and live-event receipts? You can keep it. The last page inspired me to relisten to their No Holds Barred episode. Still a great one, even if they couldn't figure out that Kurt Fuller was an obvious Ted Turner analog.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Ror posted:

You gotta have the commentary track with it. I don't think it's ever failed to make me laugh.

http://snipeseyes.ytmnd.com

I'm imagining him refusing to open his eyes for a couple takes and then the director whispers something to the cameraman. They do another take, the director calls cut, but the camera keeps rolling. Snipes rises up and takes a step out of frame without ever opening an eye.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

The existing country, to begin with.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

A Sasquatch is a thing you might find out in the woods. So is a cabin. Brilliant as always.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Someone with access to the Goodle Drive folder: Is the entire catalog neatly named and numbered? I'm not at all mad about what's going on but I was motivated to organize the episodes I already have and download the rest of what's available. Unfortunately the file naming is terribly inconsistent so this quickly became a tedious project. So tedious that that's why I might become a patron for a month to get the catalog.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My method with the old archive was to save the MP3 as the episode number. Then tell MP3Tag to format the track number as the episode number while leaving the title untouched. Then just renamed to %artist% - %track% - %title%. It honestly takes more time to read that than to do it.

I get that correctly naming MP3s isn't a big deal, especially if you had a plan as you saved them. I'm convincing myself that it's not even worth that little effort when a month at $5 will get me consistent file names, support the podcast, and with ads removed I'll never have to hear them shill for DraftKings ever again.

I recently noticed that several of Gallagher's old specials are available on Amazon Prime. I thought it would be interesting to watch a bit and ruminate over how they've aged and how that format of comedy has evolved but drat, they are bad.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

I know Eric Roberts' filmography is old news and that I'm taking the year listed way out of context but holy poo poo, it's the first week of January and he has 30 projects listed under 2018.

I wonder if he even has a house or lives solely in set trailers.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

I assume HeadGum maintains https://headgum.com/we-hate-movies and Eric updates the links on http://www.whmpodcast.com. Both sites link to art19.com hosting now. It seems like a lot of podcasts rely solely on their network for a website and abandon old sites as things change. WHM is going above and beyond what a lot of shows do.

Of the first 110 episodes the ones that were featured as a summer rewind are still directly linked for free.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

There are probably worse Fast and the Furious movies and worse films of 2017. Watching the entire series like they did with Transformers could have been great as they witnessed the escalating absurdity and confusing chronology. Seems like wasted potential for an okay episode. I'm not mad, just disappointed.

The Twinkie Czar fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 10, 2018

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

People make wikias for the stupidest stuff.

But I think a WHM one will be great. It's awesome how often this thread can answer "Which episode had that one character from that one totally random tangent?" but being able to search for that will be even better.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

With WHM, one can barely watch the movie but another will more than make up for it by watching it a dozen times across reviews, teaching, and fat kid summers.

I do hope somebody watched The Shop Around the Corner to prepare for the episode.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Do you think he brings in his own selection of trash cans or has he moved up to an extensive rider that specifies what props should be provided for him? We know what kind of bathroom he requires.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

That we're asking where Martin Cinemax III has been points to a good thing about the show. It's a popular character but they're not going to force it in. They're just as likely to do something new or let each other run with what's working in the moment.

I still listen to HDTGM and the latest episode was ok. The movie was Ladybugs, the guest was Patton Oswalt, and June sounded sane and had actually watched the movie. But those first two should produce more than a creaky-hand recommend.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

enigmahfc posted:

I got Tarzan the Ape Man confused with Greystoke, and I was looking forward to some Lambert action. dammit.

They got so angry about this episode that I bet they will lose their poo poo if they have to watch a Tarzan movie next year too.

eheh heh heh

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

What's the deal with 10? It's before my time, never seen it, but I still could have told you "Bo Derek and Dudley Moore on the beach". I just watched the trailer and it looks so weird and creepy. What the hell is it and how did it leave such a mark?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling cartoon kind of came up in a recent episode. That's an Animation Damnation stay tuned for sure. It ran for two seasons and 26 episodes from '85 to '86. None of the wrestlers did their own voices. A young Brad Garrett voiced Hulk Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Is there a compiled list of guest spots on other podcasts the WHM gang have been on?

Someone did a great list in Muldoon's Pub:

Joshua posted:

Conversation Starter ∑ August 6
In the past when I'd seemingly exhausted all my relistens to all things WHM I just started plugging each of the guys names into the search feature on Podcast Addict. I thought I'd compile all the non-WHM podcast appearances by our four fearless hosts that I could manage to find. Hope these help curb your cravings in between new content. (Also listed them chronologically because OCD.)

*Andrew and Eric on School of Everything Else (1/4/2014):
https://schoolofeverythingelsearchive.podbean.com/e/we-hate-movies

*Andrew and Eric on The PITcast (3/11/2014):
https://player.fm/series/pitcast/month-of-podcasts-ep-1-we-hate-movies

*Andrew on (friend of the show) Vinny Brusco's podcast #100 (4/4/2014). Also, friend of the show and The Pub and brother of Steve, Mark Sajdak co-hosts this podcast:
http://thevbshow.libsyn.com/episode-100-gamut-of-conversation-with-andrew-jupin

*Andrew and Eric on Podcasterbating #54 (10/14/2014):
https://radiopublic.com/podcasterbating-GyOLwQ/ep/s1!9d376

*Steve discussing Hamburger: The Motion Picture on The Projection Booth #195 (12/2/2014):
http://www.projectionboothpodcast.com/2014/12/episode-195-hamburger-motion-picture.html

*Andrew being interviewed on the How Is This Movie? podcast (2/12/2015):
https://www.podomatic.com/%85/episo%85/2015-02-11T12_14_24-08_00

*Andrew again on The Vinny Brusco Show podcast #123 (4/26/2015):
https://thevbshow.libsyn.com/episode-123-time-travel-comics-and-andrew-jupin

*Andrew discussing The Changeling on #TheProjectionBooth #260 (3/1/2016):
http://www.projectionboothpodcast.com/2016/03/episode-260-changeling.html

*Steve on Comedy Film Nerds #338 (9/21/2016):
http://comedyfilmnerds.libsyn.com/ep-338-snowden

*Steve on Mad Scientist Party Hour #280 (9/22/2016):
https://player.fm/series/mad-scientist-party-hour/280-we-hate-movies

*Andrew and Steve discuss bad comic books on Worst Collection Ever (9/26/2016):
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/shawn-marek/worst-collection-ever/e/46607915

*Chris, Eric and Steve discuss horror movies on All Fantasy Everything #53 (10/13/2017):
https://art19.com/shows/all-fantasy-everything/episodes/608beabf-2697-49e9-b593-6c2745d1c9f7

*Andrew and Steve discussing Total Recall on Blank Check with Griffin & David (1/22/2018):
https://player.fm/series/blank-check-with-griffin-david-1460844/total-recall-with-andrewjupin-and-stephensajdak

*Eric on (friend of the pub) Nathan Rabin's Happy Cast #11 (3/27/2018):
https://www.nathanrabin.com/happy-p...-we-hate-movies

*Steve on Talking Simpsons (4/25/2018):
https://talkingsimpsons.libsyn.com/talking-simpsons-scenes-from-the-class-struggle-in-springfield-with-stephen-sajdak

*Eric discussing Young Guns on Junkfood Cinema (5/23/2018):
https://www.blogtalkradio.com/junkfoodcinema/2018/05/23/junkfood-cinema-young-guns-wspecial-guest-eric-szyszka-of-we-hate-movies

*Andrew on #NathanRabinsHappyCast #18 (7/6/2018):
https://www.nathanrabin.com/happy-place/2018/7/6/nathan-rabins-happy-cast-18-like-like-mike-2-as-well-with-andrew-jupin

*Chris discussing early 2000s horror failure House of Wax on the Fearbaiting podcast, episode 120 (10/29/2018): https://fearbaiting.libsyn.com/episode-120-house-of-wax

***And of course there are several crossover episodes with the other guys on WHM sister podcasts hosted by Eric and friend of the show Ben, Blame It On Outer Space and Hooked on TJ Hooker. You should probably already be subscribed to those.***