Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dr. Lariat posted:

Ghostbros? Lol no I don't go looking for the stuff.
You don't have to honey. It's internet weirdos who come up with weird conspiracy theories for why people disagree with them.

The enemy is within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Reading Wikipedia summaries for episodes of the TV show I'm still not completely convinced that it isn't just some elaborate case of Wikipedia vandalism because it's all incredibly bonkers. I mean, trying to make a live-action TV series based on a movie franchise whose entire gimmick is shrinking and/or growing people means you have to take some liberties (especially considering you have a late-90s daytime TV budget) but seriously, just look at some of these:
This used to air on Channel 11 in NYC when I was a kid. I guess that was a main market for it because Mr. G, the channel's weatherman, had a big appearance on it.

I remember distinctly there was an episode where they fought a leprechaun and the main kid went on this tirade that the Irish are all drunk and wish they were British.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
No, it's a really good cartoon.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
No Korra's okay too and that guy is an rear end in a top hat. Korra's just not as good.

But that guy is once again an idiot and I turned it off when he talked about NICK EXECUTIVES. To be clear, The Legend of Korra is a heavily serialized steampunk series with characters who are exclusively Asian or Native American in appearance and features intense violence. One of the biggest plot threads in the show is that the hero of the previous show turned out to be kind of a lovely dad who has left his middle aged children still trying to come to terms with where they stand with their no deceased father. Like even if you don't like the show, it's kind of hard to argue that it's the product of EXECUTIVES.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

I think with movies like Power Rangers it's done with the mindset that they're setting up a franchise. Batman Begins seems to be a big influence on this. Movie 1 is all about the origin, so they need to spend 90 minutes on bullshit nobody who comes to see a children's robot movie actually cares about.
The thing is that Batman Begins isn't about establishing a franchise. The ending isn't necessarily a hook for a sequel. It's the same ending as Batman Year One. It's a signifier that the somewhat realistic Gotham has been transformed into something else.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Giant Bomb had really great ads when Vinny Caravella was still on it. Him and Jeff Gertsmann had an ongoing bit for SquareSpace where Vinny would pretend to be an aspiring businessman with new ventures every single time. They were actually pretty funny and part of the show that I enjoyed and looked forward to.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Death Wish 1 is an amazing, 'legit' movie. Like it was an attempt at a serious movie and it even had a certain amount of cultural impact.
Like look, even in the first one it's a weird dad empowerment fantasy with bad guys who act like The Pirates of the Caribbean was being re-themed as a Warriors ride.

Three is the most over the top, but none of them are legit movies.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It takes so much work to appreciate David Cage, at that point you could stop lying to yourself and just admit you like it.
I don't know if it actually takes that much to appreciate a David Cage game. His stuff is always at least interesting. I think actually liking his stuff is the hard part.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hockles posted:

My favorite voice is "union guy" who is also Charles Bronson.
It's the Simpons Wiseguy character.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

They also hated each other for a long time
Meyers also has a really lovely record when working on projects he actually cares about. He was sued multiple times by studios for bailing on projects. I doubt anyone is really willing to throw money at him. Which is a shame because I think there is an alternate universe where he grew into being a pretty fun director.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Lego Batman, My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea, and Mary and the Witch's Flower were eligible along with about twenty other movies.

They did not have to pick Boss Baby and are legitimately saying that Boss Baby is better than Lego Batman.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Domino's Pizza Insurance has definitely made my week
Really, that whole initial bit as well as the Silence of the Dominos bit were some really impressive improv.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
They haven't done them in a bit, but Amy Adams: Nicest Woman in Hollywood and Martin Cinemax are some of my favorite characters of theirs.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Twinkie Czar posted:

That we're asking where Martin Cinemax III has been points to a good thing about the show. It's a popular character but they're not going to force it in. They're just as likely to do something new or let each other run with what's working in the moment.

I still listen to HDTGM and the latest episode was ok. The movie was Ladybugs, the guest was Patton Oswalt, and June sounded sane and had actually watched the movie. But those first two should produce more than a creaky-hand recommend.
How Did This Get Made also has a Patton Oswalt episode on Punisher: War Zone where he brings on Alexi Alexander. And it's just really good radio. But I always had the feeling that Patton assumed the show was about explaining how lovely movies came to be and pitched them this idea and they just went with it.

I got bored with HDTGM, but I do recommend a lot of episodes like Tiptoes, Sleepaway Camp, and Reindeer Games. The moment where they realize the lead character in Reindeer Games is named Rudolph is pretty great.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Jesus Christ, if you're not on the Patreon, Jungle 2 Jungle is incredibly worth it. Cabin's Seagal impersonation and the whole ex-pats bit is amazing. I was shaking stifling laughter during a bus ride, but lost it when they started riffing on the actor trying to hide his Bronx accent and continuing to escalate it. It might be my favorite episode.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Steve is on Talking Simpsons next week or this week if you have the Patreon. It's funny to hear him dive into a WHM like bit without three other goons picking it up and running with it.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 19, 2018

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Can this thread be renamed to IMBD Funhouse?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Someone on Twitter I think linked to some site where it ranked Patreons by subscribers and they were in the top 50. I wonder how many people are on the $5+ tiers, because if the majority of them are, they are pulling in around 25k a month, which might be getting close to them being able to do the podcast full time, which is awesome.
I dunno man... >$75,000 each isn't really all that great when you're married and functionally living in NYC. I mean it's more than livable, but they would be probably cutting their incomes in half to do the podcast full time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Apes-Ma posted:

What are people requesting for Listener Request Month? Almost Forgot about the whole thing.
King Kong ('76)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ravenkult posted:

I upgraded to the Nexus level on the Patreon, and if you're holding out, I can heartily recommend it.
Spock gearing up for his take down of Bones in their Wrath of Khan episode is one of the greatest bits they've ever done.

Their Picard is also such an oddly fleshed out character.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, the fact that Mike Meyers is there is probably going to swing the bet.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I've got to say, I was really checked out of the Farty stuff and thought it was going on way too long and I actually started skipping 15 second increments, and then they dropped Fartgomery Scott and I laughed so hard I got in trouble at work.
The whole extended behind the scenes interviews about Farty are honestly a work of art.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's a shame Jungle 2 Jungle is behind the paywall because it really is one of the all-time great episodes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Well at least we're getting a National Treasure.
You mean IG-88?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

There's been some whispering on twitter that the WLM of October (Halloween month) will be The Shining. I'm extremely pumped for that possibility. Both Stephen and Andrew has apparently indicated that they've seen it in recent days.

The dog-blowjob will likely take up at least 15 minutes of their time.
That's cool, but i was really, really hoping for Scream.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

I really don't like Cinamasins, but I would double my Patreon amount to make Plothole Truckers a reality.
Honestly, they should probably do something for their youtube channel.

But it should totally be for like To Kill a Mockingbird or something like that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This might be :tinfoil: of me but I always thought the "This movie is actually about the genocide of the Native Americans" guy in Room 237 was getting at something.

Like there's just enough weird lingering Native American references in the movie, from the Native-American inspired decor of the Overlook to Jack Torrance randomly bringing up the white man's burden that I can't completely dismiss it.
Yeah, I mean Cabin's read get's to the heart of it.

I've always found it weird how people treat is an out there theory when Jack literally cites white man's burden and is convinced to start killing people of the threat that a black guy is going to enter his house.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cael posted:

Yeah, one guest every like two months is probably fine but not more often. It does mess with the flow.

But counter point: make Angelica Bastien the fifth mic because their chemistry on Species was amazing and want more of that energy they all had.
I'd like Chelsea to be on more often.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Andrews, "Hey you know what?..." has kind of snuck into my lexicon.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Rise of Skywalker was weird and crazy, but no where near as absolutely dreadful as that movie.
To be fair though, they've cited their 'worst of 2019' is a bit of misnomer. It's the 'worst movies' they're willing to talk about.

RoS would have been fun especially since the current spread seems a bit samey.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I always want them to do an older movie.

I requested Big JIm McClain this go-around.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I always assumed the ten year rule existed because their day jobs are, at minimum, industry adjacent and they probably still had broader prospects when they started the podcast.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

The $8 tier is so good for so many reasons. The Nexus alone would be worth it.
Like you haven't really experienced WHM until you've experienced Farty.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I kind of wish there was a monthly like... Fancy We Hate Movies where they talk about series movies.

But I guess after years of riffing it would be hard to not get into dirty jokes about Honeyland.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Listening to their BttF II episode, it made me realize how Back to the Future ends with this really simple and clean hook for a sequel. Marty is going to have to basically pretend to be a kid in the future to help whatever problem his kids are going through. It's going to be basically the same deal as the original, but Marty being the corny out of touch relic and trying to go under cover to save his kid instead of his parents. That makes a lot of sense, and it's kind of insane that Part II is about what it's about.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Hey in case it never got posted here at the time, I just came across this whilst looking for a free ep of Action Boyz:
The Talking Simpsons Podcast also has a bunch of episodes with the guys on. Each of them has been on at least once now. It's not as fun with them just together though, but still pretty fun.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

What "company money"? Don't they all have day jobs? Unless you mean them telling their wives "it's for the show!"
I think they do have an LLC now or something that the Patreon, live show, and ad revenue goes into.

They can also probably write off their tickets in their taxes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

clown shoes posted:

Got a list?
Unlock the Vault Release — Man of Steel
Episode 478 — John Carpenter's Vampires
Episode 479 — Raw Deal
Episode 480 — Cool as Ice

MELR0210:

90210: "The Green Room" "Every Dream Has It's Price (Tag)" "The First Time" "One on One"
Melrose Place: "Friends and Lovers" "Lost and Found" "For Love or Money" "Leap of Faith" "Second Chances"

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — The Thing (1982)

Animation Damnation — The New Adventures of Gumby: "A Music Ball" & "The Elephant and the Dragon"

The Nexus: TOS: "Metamorphosis" (s2, e9) TNG: "Time Squared" (s2, e13)

Gleep Glossary: Qui-Gon Jinn

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

OpenSourceBurger posted:

I don't think the 2011 film is bad enough to warrant an episode. It's actually pretty interesting in certain places and it just kinda meh at worst.
Andrew apparently straight up likes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Does anyone know what the scandal with Chris's family that he alludes to every now and then is? I've constantly failed at googling it.