Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Renton was awful and then Holland was awful and the kids were awful the entire show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Eureka Seven is the best Soccer anime.

So you're saying there's no good soccer anime, then

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

icantfindaname posted:

FLCL's still better
gently caress you got me there, can't believe I forgot about FLCL

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Saw this pop up on Netflix the other day and immediately five starred. It has its dips but overall it is a great show.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 5, 2014

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Eureka Seven is the greatest mecha show of all time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I did not like Eureka Seven as much as others. I got the story it was trying to tell, but the characters were unlikable more often than they were likable. Not asking for everyone to be the most hilarious, awesome characters ever, but it's not fun to watch a show when every character irritates the hell out of you in some form or fashion.

Animation was nice, fight choreography was really cool, and while the story was interesting the human element was grating. I give it a 3...out of 5.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Popehoist posted:

Eureka Seven is the greatest mecha show of all time.

The correct answer was "RahXephon". Sorry. RahXephon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Eureka Seven is great ebcause, even when it doesn't always succeed, at least it's trying, goddamn it. It's not just yet another marketing product created t pander to demographics, there's a real story there that the director is trying to tell.

https://www.japansociety.org/resources/content/2/0/5/4/documents/sato_mcgray%20interview.pdf

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I saw most of the episodes all the way up to the end when it aired on toonami, and I still am not entirely sure why I watched it, because it did nothing for me. Almost all of the characters sucked (especially Renton), the plot took ages to get anywhere and wasn't particularly interesting, and I didn't really care for most of the character designs. The characters weren't even unlikeable in an endearing or humorous way. They just failed to make me give a poo poo about them. The airships and mechs were cool and the fights were pretty well done as I recall, so I'll give it that. Just don't see why it's so beloved unless you're really into cancer patient chic or something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Boogaleeboo posted:

The correct answer was "RahXephon". Sorry. RahXephon.
RahXephon has one good episode.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I remember trying to watch this on Toonami and it was really boring. I'm sure it wasn't perfectly localized much like anything but for trying to be a drama for the most part everyone acts more like a caricature of a human being than an actual one. I imagine Renton and particularly Holland being completely unlikable was an attempt to make them 3-dimensional characters (as opposed to Renton being a BURNING SHOUNEN SPIRIT protagonist who only ever messes stuff up because he's too good of a person) but if you want us to root for them you at least need to sorta characterize the badguys for contrast or make them likable in some way.

Renton is more pathetic than Shinji and that's saying a lot. Holland is probably the least likable 'good guy' I've seen in anime and no amount of "he wuvs his girlfriend!" or revealed self-loathing can really make you care that he's a completely insufferable, irredeemable prick for 90% of the show.

Also the last half of the series is inscrutable gibberish because the scub coral or whatever the gently caress poo poo doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Don't forget humans actually left earth, got lost in space, landed on a new planet that turns out is still earth and was changed after they got done re-enacting 'lost in space'. Seriously how do you land on the same planet you excape.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not as weird as you'd think.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
All I can really say is that I probably would not have enjoyed the show nearly as much if I didn't watch it all at once after it aired.

Still waiting for a Nirvash spec 3 toy. :smith:

EDIT: I have yet to see a full length show that actually needed 50+ episodes.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 5, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The characters are actually one of the stronger aspects of Eureka Seven. It's a show about growing up, among other things, and you get to see multiple characters going through that in very different ways: Renton, Eureka, Holland, Dominique, Anemone, etc. It's really well done in terms of character development.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: I have yet to see a full length show that actually needed 50+ episodes.

LoGH.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Monster.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Also, a reminder that Eureka Seven has a crazy-good OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHP_9heGEKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVMQAyOgfyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2t_8ixft4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tbG58lj7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTAkxiPkxGQ

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It's basically fantastic. There are some slow sequences. The kids are awful, but thanks to Tomino what kind of self respecting giant robot series wouldn't have some, and the finale is just wow.

~*I CAN FLY*~

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Eureka 7 taught me the best way to solve one's relationship problems is via discussion in freefall. Also Storywriter now permanently lives on my snowboarding mix.

malleusmalefic
Jan 1, 2014
AO had a really good first opening, Escape.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The only good thing about AO was that Renton was carrying Charles's rifle when he showed up. RIP Papa hippie raver.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
The animation is really good. The songs are really good if you like that particular style.

The characters and story made me want to punch the screen. I liked most of the "villains" way better than any of the main characters.

It could also have used an editor and chopped at least 25% of the running time off of the series.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
It's such an odd mix - alternating between obvious kid show stuff and fairly dark material. War criminals with PTSD, and near-genocidal amounts of murder combined with hippie mysticism, shounen burning spirit and EDM. Great soundtrack. But it's ultimately a character-driven set of intertwined love stories, and if the characters don't work for you there's not much point.

For me, it works.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It is very inspired by New Age Buddhism, so if you're not down with that, man, it might not be for you.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Eureka Seven was not good. Nor was it bad. Just sort of there. It fell short on pretty much all my expectations.
Surfing Mechs was pretty cool though.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

This was a blast to watch with goons when it was first running, and then insanely fun to go through again when Toonami ran it. It's got flaws (the mid arc of the series drags and the kids never really become truly enjoyable), but jesus, this show was about characters changing over time based on their experience, and we saw genuine change. The voices matured as the characters did, designs changed, mistakes learned from.

On top of that, we got air (trappar) surfing mechs and total mind fucks of episodes (Ahhhh, Acperience) and one of the best soundtracks in anime this side of Cowboy Bebop. I'm seriously considering watching the series again now that I know it's on Netflix. I'd just pop in the DVDs, but they're a couple thousand miles from me at the moment.

Still, if you haven't yet, give E7 a chance. It may not be exactly what you expect, but I swear it's worth a shot.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
The most memorable parts of this show for me when I watched it were: Eureka, especially toward the end, when we see more about just who and what she is (including her changing appearance); the opening songs; how annoying the kids where, and the fact that I only came to tolerate them after a while rather than ever like them; Dominic and Anemone's relationship and the sadness in it; and the fact that Renton actually had some character growth over the course of the show.

I enjoyed it perhaps more than I ought to, but the fact that I did was probably a good thing. If I hadn't, I might not have ever given more mecha shows a chance.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
Really good show and OST, don't watch the movie or sequel.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The best part of watching it when it first aired was when the only group fansubbing it delayed the episodes for months because of some asinine desire to have The Perfect Karaoke Effects, only for someone to steal their subtitle files and release the last ~15 episodes in one giant batch.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The show owned me. I loved the characters as a whole, especially grumpy old man Holland. The kids were annoying for sure, but had to be for plot purposes, and I could put up with them one they started respecting Barfy.

The worst part of the series for me was always the first 8-10 episodes of "slice of life" stuff and watching Renton get humiliated. It wasn't funny or interesting for me, just hard to watch and or boring.

I'm a sucker for cheesy love stories and character progression, though, and this show had both in spades. The sweet mech fights and stupid good soundtrack made things all the better.

Speaking of progression, I love how the characters change appearances through the show. Right down to height, the characters grew up. :-)

The best? Nah. My favourite? Yup.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

The best part of watching it when it first aired was when the only group fansubbing it delayed the episodes for months because of some asinine desire to have The Perfect Karaoke Effects, only for someone to steal their subtitle files and release the last ~15 episodes in one giant batch.

it's beautiful

LiquidRain posted:

I'm a sucker for cheesy love stories and character progression, though, and this show had both in spades. The sweet mech fights and stupid good soundtrack made things all the better.

Speaking of progression, I love how the characters change appearances through the show. Right down to height, the characters grew up. :-)

The best? Nah. My favourite? Yup.

Yep! I love Renton and Eureka's story.

While on the subject of change however, I have to say I got annoyed that everyone always wore the same exact thing for the entire series (unless the wardrobe change also signified something changing in a character) Take a page from shoujo and josei and get some variety in your outfits drat it. :argh:

Other things I love:
The music and general homage to 90's electronic music woven throughout the entire thing

and the same for surf culture, especially to David Carson's design work on Surfer magazine and Ray-Gun both of which get references in the in-series publication Ray=Out. Probably...maybe? At least the name from Ray-Gun and some of Carson's work in general, it fits the whole blend of 60's surf and 90's counterculture thing happening.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 7, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, all the music references were great. Every episode is a reference to a song or band, and then you get stuff like the main character's father being King Adrock, the mechs being called LFOs and KLFs, etc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Did we ever establish what Compact Drives were in the context of the show? I mean I guess they must communicate with the Coral somehow, but why do even stuff like bikes have them?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Fangz posted:

Did we ever establish what Compact Drives were in the context of the show? I mean I guess they must communicate with the Coral somehow, but why do even stuff like bikes have them?

It is the literal link between people, trapar, and machines. It converts thought energy into information that machines can use and is why norb, the man i have wisely selected as my on-line representative avatar, has sick kamehaha powers by having one in his chest.

also it's another buddhism reference with it being the kon (soul) paku (body) drive.

muike fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 8, 2014

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Ok I only skimmed the thread because I don't want too many spoilers, but I have a question: will it take long for this impossibly annoying Mopey Teenager arc to end? I just watched the episode where Renton runs away (22?), and he and Eureka have been pissing me off for like 10 episodes with their bullshit. I like the rest of the show but can't stand anymore of this. Definitely going to power through the end of season 1, but might drop it there

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure where the "end of season 1" is but episode 26 is probably the best episode in the whole show, so definitely stick around for that at least.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
26 is the end of season 1 (at least that's how they have it split on Netflix). I'm glad to hear that I've got a good episode coming up, my complaint about whiny teenagers still stands though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Silynt posted:

26 is the end of season 1 (at least that's how they have it split on Netflix). I'm glad to hear that I've got a good episode coming up, my complaint about whiny teenagers still stands though.

It's a show about growing up. Don't worry, you're just at the really awkward phase. You'll seen Get It By Your Hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's a show about growing up. Don't worry, you're just at the really awkward phase. You'll seen Get It By Your Hands.
This is correct. It's about to get good. So good.

Charles. :allears:

• Locked thread