Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

i got it on Wii U and can't put it down. the levels are so expertly crafted to be fun to both explore thoroughly and run back through really fast once you reach the end. I'm playing on hard mode and the time limits to escape stages are starting to get pretty strict if I want to get gold crowns (I do)

wario land shake it is on the way, I hope that it's this good.

I almost want to read this ridiculously long e book on the topic of game design in Wario Land 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
it's really good. I don't like the jungle levels in the first world very much though

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

this game has such varied environments and unique levels. I just played the Big Board level.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It was a good game, but I have fonder memories of Wario land 2. Mostly because of the tons of secrets and alternative paths

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
big board is really fun. the world it's in is my favorite.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

that book is probably incredibly gay

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Swelter Discharge posted:

probably

game is really well designed though

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Evil Eagle posted:

i got it on Wii U and can't put it down. the levels are so expertly crafted to be fun to both explore thoroughly and run back through really fast once you reach the end. I'm playing on hard mode and the time limits to escape stages are starting to get pretty strict if I want to get gold crowns (I do)

wario land shake it is on the way, I hope that it's this good.

I almost want to read this ridiculously long e book on the topic of game design in Wario Land 4.

Me as well, but without the "almost."

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

It's probably cool. I love game design.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I think I'm going to read it.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

that would be nice but this cynical jaded gamer finds it hard to believe...

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

hey OP you forgot to mention the Unbelievably Good soundtrack..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biti1jHGnXM

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

It was a good game, but I have fonder memories of Wario land 2. Mostly because of the tons of secrets and alternative paths
Same here.

I think I actually like Wario Land 3 the best of the bunch for some reason, though. The Metroid-ish elements of opening new areas up in stages you've visited by either getting power-ups to give you new abilities (or, really, your old WL2 abilities again) or finding one-time-use items that could drastically alter a section of the stage had quite a bit of appeal to it, even if the amount of secret rooms as such shot down significantly.

I'd take any of these over Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land, though. Not that SML3 is bad (it isn't, it's good), but the controls are a lot jankier. I mean, Wario ascends and descends at a fixed rate when he jumps, as opposed to the smooth arc every Wario Land since had. It's workable, but it doesn't feel right.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

that would be nice but this cynical jaded gamer finds it hard to believe...

You might be thinking of one of those really gay books like philosophy in final fantasy or w/e.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i've had this on my 3DS for a while now and probably need to get around to playing it. i always liked the artstyle from what i'd seen.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I have Wario land 4 on Wii U but i havent played it yet. I wanted to play through all the other Wario Lands first, but i dont think ill ever get around to doing that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wario Land 2 was one of my favourite GBC games. is 4 really as good

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There are no bad Wario games.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Where the gently caress is my Wario 3DS game Nintendo?!?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

mysterious loyall Y posted:

Mechanically, it's about as good, but it's a significantly shorter ride. No secret paths leading to entire worlds you'd never have seen otherwise (like the haunted house or underwater ruins stages in WL2) - instead, four worlds, four stages and a boss each, one final world with one stage and the final boss, that's all she wrote.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

There are no bad Wario games.
Not even Master of Disguise?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mysterious loyall Y posted:

I think it's really fantastic. The levels are a lot bigger and every single one has been interesting. 2 had tons of levels bUT I don't think any of them alone compare to a wario land 4 level.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Also there are 3 difficulty levels that significantly change the game.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Not even Master of Disguise?

..............gently caress

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

..............gently caress

How good is shake it? I am excited for it to arrive.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wario 4 makes graverobbing fun again

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Also there are 3 difficulty levels that significantly change the game.

the hardest difficulty weeded out the casuals early by putting a fifteen second time limit on killing the first boss

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
That book is actually really excellent.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i do indie gamedev as a hobby.

where do i get the book in the op ? seems really interesting

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Warioland 4 is loving amazing.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

i do indie gamedev as a hobby.

where do i get the book in the op ? seems really interesting

It's on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Design-Companion-Critical-Analysis-ebook/dp/B00HZNS6JW

I'm reading the free sample there right now.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

wario land 3 was the poo poo too, lots of exploration and cool poo poo and good level design

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

is master of disguise plain bad, or just not as good as the others?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Blackheart posted:

is master of disguise plain bad, or just not as good as the others?

it's real fuckin bad

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

How good is shake it? I am excited for it to arrive.

shake it is ok

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
wl4 was one of the first gba games i got and i remember having a lot of fun with it.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Thank you.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Estimated 769 pages holy crap.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Estimated 769 pages holy crap.

I told you it was ridiculously long. I'm almost done with the free sample and i'm probably going to buy it to read while I play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Wario Land 2 is probably my favorite in the series even if Wario Land 3 is probably objectively better... I just love that game so much :sotw: