Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans
And miss it each night and day
I know I'm not wrong this feeling's gettin' stronger
The longer, I stay away
Miss them moss covered vines the tall sugar pines
Where mockin' birds used to sing
And I'd like to see that lazy Mississippi hurryin' into spring

New Orleans has always been a town torn between devotion and debauchery. St. Louis Cathedral is the archbishop's seat in the Archdioceses of New Orleans, and it's a whole two blocks from the strip clubs and dives of Bourbon Street. Mardi Gras is celebration of all the great fun people won't have during the Lenten Season. Voodoo shops and jazz bands vie for tourists attention. Most people in New Orleans eventually find the balance that works for them. All of this gives New Orleans its unique charm.

Hurricane Katrina buried New Orleans in a watery grave. For weeks, the rule of law was lost amid a toxic soup of death and decay. The stories of those who were too poor or too stubborn to evacuate were heard across the country.

And then Hurricane Rita hit.

Some places just have all the luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Fortunately, it's been a few months since then, and life is trying (but mostly failing) to get back to normal. Whole wards of the city are still buried in mud and other, less savory things. Portions of the city don't have electricity, and in mid-October in New Orleans, that means no air conditioning. New Orleans' natural humidity combined with the recently waterlogged ground means that the normally miserable fall weather is now unbearable.

One of the signs of attempts at reclaiming normalcy is schools coming back into session. Most of the public schools were in poorer areas, but the some of the private Catholic schools have dusted themselves off and are making their facilities available to the other schools. The plan is to use a platoon schedule, with the regular students getting to school early and leaving by 12:30 and the students from other schools getting there at 1:30 and leaving by 6. No one likes it, but the alternative is forcing a broad swath of students across the city miss a year of school.

Students now face the dual challenge of continuing their school work like nothing happened while dealing with the trauma of the storm.

Just imagine how much harder it would be if you were a teenage monster?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, it's another Monsterhearts game!

Looking for about 4-5 students heading to Archbishop Blanc High School, a high school right between the suburbs and the city proper. The general area around it is coming back well, relatively speaking. Most people are still living in FEMA trailers, but it's well ahead of most of New Orleans right now, what with there being electricity, running water, and regular waste disposal.

In addition to your application, give me an NPC at the school, a local spot of interest, and something you lost that you don't think you'll ever get back.

Feel free to hang out in Synirc #Humansaretherealmonster to check in or for any questions.

Useful links

Basic Skins
The Angel
The Serpentine
The Hollow
The Selkie

IRC/PM Q&A

Q: Can I use skins outside the core?
A: I'm not a fan of Skins for the Skinless. I'm unsure of of the ones outside of the core book, since that's all I have. So, ones outside core are at your own risk.

Q: How old are the PCs supposed to be?
A: Everyone's going to be a high school freshman at a new school, since your old school is currently buried in a few feet of mud and debris.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Jamie, The Selkie

A crazy old relative told me that the Deep Kingdom Selkies are a bunch of crazy deluded idiots in denial. Our precious pelts, are just prisons, just masks. They're Nothing without us filling them with our real bodies, with significance. The Dry Kingdom Selkies showed him the truth! "Jamie, these feelings you're having about who you really are, you'll never be able to answer them unless you see the world up there! You can always come back to the safety of the Deep Kingdom, as I did, so that I might die with my family... and the memories of my wildest dreams fulfilled!"

I'm beginning to suspect that gramp's memory might be pretty selective. First, you'd think the sea never wanted to see me again by the way it hurled me onto the land. I had just been watching boatriders and sunbathers at that point. Second, it looks like this Dry Kingdom wasn't really built to last. Some of their land reefs look dead, like the ones in the part of the sea where the water started tasting sour. But here, they just tear down the dead coral and god, the new ones grow up so quickly!

Then the ocean kills them again, especially places I don't like...

A person at the school

Bernie, my friend from work. I'm teaching her to catch fish and she's teaching me how to get tips. Whenever she recognizes a grownup from the school she talks to the madam and we work 'back of house' until they leave. Dishwashing, burger flipping, and worst of all--fish ruining, or as they call it, frying.

A local spot of interest

Bouvier's, a bar with professional dancers, because Dry Kingdom Selkies hunt day and night, and catch a dance whenever they can. This is where I work, tending bar, waiting tables, eventually I'll get good enough to dance.

something you lost that you don't think you'll ever get back

I'm afraid I lost my chance to ever see the Dry Kingdom at its best by waiting too long to visit. I shouldn't have waited for permission... The more I think about it, the less it seems possible that it will even get close to back to where it was before the storm that brought me here. No matter how hard they try, the ocean will return. Maybe it's returning for me?

quote:

Name: Jamie Reeves
Look: riveting, deep eyes
Origin: curious about the human form

Stats:
Hot: 0
Cold: 3
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Darkest Self:
People have mistreated you and made you an outcast here. Its time to show them how it feels to be lost at sea, to be apart from the things you have loved, to have parts of your identity stolen from you. So you will flood the Earth. You will destroy what they cherish. And you will take their pelts. You escape your Darkest Self when this place reminds you of home, or when you recognize what you came here for.

Advancement
Take another Selkie move.
Take another Selkie move.
Take a move from another skin.
Take a move from another skin.

Youve enchanted a Group of Fishermen.
Add 1 to Hot (max 3).
Add 1 to Cold (max 3).

Add 1 to Volatile (max 3).
Add 1 to Dark (max 3)

Moves:

Outer Skin:
When you wear your pelt you look like a dolphin. Without it, you can swim like a human, but with it you can breathe underwater and swim like the dickens, and, if you want to, return to The Deep Kingdom. If you do return there, its for good, so make a new character.

Their Word:
People can steal your pelt, but never destroy it. When someone withholds your pelt and demands that you do something for them before theyll give it back, add 1 to rolls you make in pursuit of that task. If they dont return your pelt, take a String on them, and they'll give you another task.

Oceans Breath:
When you feel homesick, roll with cold. On a 10 up, choose one for the MC to detail:
} the ocean brings forth something that it thinks will make you feel better,
} the ocean takes away something that it thinks is bothering you.
On a 7-9, choose as above, but the ocean doesnt understand the human world very well and causes serious or unexplainable damage in the process.

Siren Song:
When youre soaking wet, you can sing a haunting song and roll with cold.
On a 10 up, all who hear it stumble entranced toward you, though a character that takes harm will stop suddenly and gain the Condition dazed.
On a 7-9, all who hear it stumble entranced toward you until they would face harm or physical danger, and then they choose:
S press forward and take the harm,
S stop suddenly and gain the Condition dazed.

Vengeful:
Whenever you lash out physically at someone with the blamed condition, roll using Dark. Add 1 extra harm to whatever harm you deal.

Soul Debt:
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to (Amphitrite Salacia, the Lady of Saltwater). Choose two Bargains that she has made with you. She can hold Strings against you. Whenever she collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Numbing It Out:
You can give the dark power a String in order to remove a Condition or up to two harm.

Elsewise Power:
You can give the dark power a String to use a move you dont have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.

Call People On Their poo poo
When you call people on their poo poo, roll with cold. On a 10 up, choose one:
} they lose a String against someone else;
} they freeze up, break down, or bail.
On a 7-9, choose one, and they give you a Condition.

Share Your Pain
When you share your pain, roll with dark. On a 10 up, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one:
} remove a Condition (from yourself or someone who listened);
} carry 1 forward toward helping yourself;
} those who listened carry 1 forward toward helping you.

One-use Move:
Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the targets gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
} the casting does you 1 harm;
} the Hex has unexpected side effects;
} trigger your Darkest Self.

Ring of Lies
Whenever the person attempts to lie, they hear a piercing ringing noise. Big lies will often make their knees buckle and disorient them. Severe lies can cause harm or even brain damage.

Illusions
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.

Your Backstory:

Youve seen someone swimming, but they either didnt see or didnt recognize you. Gain a String on them.

Someone stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back. Each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 12, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Posting interest, will app a Chosen later today

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
-Nevermind-

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 5, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Very much interested. My Shadow application isn't one of these, and besides, this is a distinct enough setting so I want to do something with that. Maybe a Voodoo witch? We're at the right place for it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Shogeton posted:

Very much interested. My Shadow application isn't one of these, and besides, this is a distinct enough setting so I want to do something with that. Maybe a Voodoo witch? We're at the right place for it.

I'm not opposed to the ones I didn't link. They're just the only ones I've really read and have experience with. Gimmie a link to the Shadow, and I'll look it over.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Here you go Have a look over. I never actually played it, but I apped one to Goffish's game, where I didn't get picked. I liked the character, even if it'll need some adaption for the setting, but I'm not even sure if I don't want to make something new. And I know some GM's prefer not to get 'recycled' characters. So feel free to give your preference.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Because there's no such thing as too many monsterhearts games.

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Anderson

All you remember is flashes, like still images taken from a movie. A flash of panic, a desperate run, and finally a wall of water.

Then you awake in a hospital bed. A miracle they call it, weeks in a coma yet still able to function and return intact. Yet you've had to relearn everything, Elizabeth they call you, so it must be your name. The Doctors speak of subcranial damage and retrograde amnesia but all that is mere medical gobbledygook for they don't know the cause of your malady.

At night the dreams come. A wall of water, then darkness. Then a light in the darkness flickering like a dying candle in the distance. You move towards the light on legs that are not even there, Drawn to the light driven to protect it. You go forward to it from the dark. But you stumble, fall into the light drown in it absorb it into yourself and watch it gutter out. Yet soon it burns bright again from the ashes Burning you away as you smile. Then the dream ends and you awake once again surrounded by clammy sheets and frustrating fragments.

Learning how to live again was hard. Some thing's came back easily enough; speech, walking, eating (though each flavour was new and novel.) Others are frustrating, these two adults in your small domicile who claim to be your originators expect you to obey a seemingly arbitrary set of rules that they have not bothered to explain to you. Your body seems awkward, alien, different constantly in flux driven by chemical imbalances you do not understand let alone are able to control.

Still you are sure it will all come back. I mean it has to, right?

quote:

Name: Elizabeth Anderson
Look: Immaculate, Desperate Eyes
Skin: The Hollow
Origin: A spirit taking human form.

Stats:
Hot: -1
Cold: -1
Volatile: 2

Darkest Self:

Your body is a prison. You dont belong inside of it. You need to put it in harms way, and make it suffer, just like its made you suffer. Theres got to be a way to cut yourself out of it. You need to meet your makers, and hold them accountable for what theyve done to you. To escape your Darkest Self, you must come face to face with someone who feels more trapped than you do.

Sex Move

When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them.
When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that person.
After having sex with someone, replace your current sex move with theirs, adding this sentence to the end of it.

Moves:

A Blank Canvas

When you take an action that embodies one of the Conditions that you have, and you allow that Condition to influence your sense of self, cross it off and add 1 to your roll.

Inhuman Gaze

When you shut someone down, roll with dark.

Heightened Senses
When you rely on your animal instincts
to make sense of a charged situation,
roll with dark. On a 10 up, ask the MC
three questions. If you act on one of
the MCs answers, add 1 to your first
roll. On a 7-9, ask one:
}
Wheres my best escape route or way in?
}
Which enemy is the most vulnerable to me?
}
Whats their secret weakness?
}
What poses the biggest threat to me?
}
Whos in control here

Primal Dominance

When you harm someone, take a String on them.

Your Backstory:

Youve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Someones seen through your invented past, and realized its all lies. Give them 2 Strings on you.

Advancement
  • Take a move from another Skin (Heightened senses)
  • Take a move from another Skin (Primal Dominance)
  • Gain a point of Hot

A place posted:

St Florian's Roman Catholic Church

An old church with a long past, St Florian's was built in the heyday of French colonial rule as a small church intended to serve outlying farms around New Orleans. Through the years this old building has survived floods, hurricanes and fires even as the city has grown around it. Most recently the church has survived both hurricanes with only minor damage. The faithful attribute this to the hand of god while the more cynical point to it's location on a slight rise just above the flood level. The Church is connected to an old legend which states that priests fleeing the French revolution brought ancient relics to Louisiana hoping to preserve them, rumour has it the priests then died of disease and that they and their relics were buried beneath the church. Most believe this to be nothing more than a silly old tale but every so often some enterprising soul proposes going digging for them. It's located not far from the school and attracts the interest of a small but devoted congregation.

"A Person" posted:

Monsignor Gris

Monsignor Gris, is an elderly old priest who has taught at Archbishop Blanc's for as long as anyone can remember. Currently he teaches history to his long suffering pupils many of whom regard his long windedness and tendency to ramble on about minutiae to be boring. Still there are a few tall tales about the good Monsignor rumour has it that in his younger days (which some of his students joke must have been the 13th century) that he was quite a young hellion involved in all sorts of crimes till he discovered religion. Some in the school have noticed an odd thing though their parents and grandparents also recall being taught by an elderly Father Gris so he may only be the latest in a long line to serve the church in New Orleans.

"A thing" posted:

A badly damaged diary

Elizabeths home was flooded and left almost completely waterlogged by the rising waters. However returning to the family home with her disconsolate parents. Elizabeth was able to find a water-damaged book that had belonged to her before her accident. It appears to be a personal diary of some sort but the water damage to it has rendered it practically unreadable apart from a few undamaged pages that contain some rather interesting artistic drawings of everyday objects. Elizabeth does not recall ever actually drawing them herself but they may have been a gift from someone else. She'd give anything to recover an intact copy of her diary to learn more about her past. But sadly some things are just not possible. Still the experience has inspired Elizabeth to purchase a new diary and she finds the act of putting pen to paper oddly therapeutic.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 8, 2015

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I will post a vampire app later tonight.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

You know, actual practitioners of Louisiana voudou are more secretive now than ever I think. Because no churchman or plantation owner was ever as determined to find every last one of us than the average American tourist. So yeah, I'm a Mambo. I was made a mambo pretty young, but aunt Angela (not actually my aunt, but anyone who knew her called her that) wasn't exactly getting younger, and I was a good student. School didn't agree with that assessment, but I had my priorities set. We had a community here, and I was proud to be a great part of it, a history older than this country itself. It gave me enough pride that I could deal with the casual racism here and there. I grew up with it, and from the stories I heard of mom and dad, it used to be worse, so hey, at least things were improving, right?

And then, Katrina and Rita. That hurt. But hey, that happens. Sometimes the world reminds us that we can't control everything, right? Opportunity to come together and maybe build some bridges.

No, that's not what we got. Instead... instead I got a bit of a reminder of history. It isn't even the government I'm angriest at. That was nothing new. But I figured racism was just some shitheads throwing a slur, or getting passed over for a job, getting the worst schools. But I got a history lesson. During the worst of it, we were treated like rabid animals. People you might have met in the street, suddenly pointing guns at you if you even approach, soon as they see the colour of your skin. Gunshots and dead people, dead people I knew. Poeple that survived the flooding to get shot by some motherfucker who said he'd 'always known we'd turn against civilized people'. For what? Because we took some food from an abandoned store while kids were starving? And the Not Our Problem Department, well... there's a reason they got that name. Heck, a few of the dead brothers and sisters were done in by them. And maybe even more painful than that. All those people that didn't do it. But now, when things are calm down, they're not saying anything. They saw those motherfuckers lynch people, they know who did it, and they just look uncomfortable!

Aunt Angela would tell me a mambo should always be cool, that dealing with Petro spirits has a price, and you're usually better off protecting than avenging, and we have to make sure we're not found. Well... she's dead. Another 'looter' that was 'killed in self-defence', because 58 year old women are a menace. And the community. Some of them dead, some of them missing, some of them left. Maybe we'll rebuild it. But for now, I got me some black roosters for Baron Kriminel, some lavender for Marinette and Griot for Erzulie Dantor. They are going to pay.

pre:
Character Name: Jeanine Delacroix (A pretentious Name)
Look: Sinister Eyes, guarded
Origin: Voodoun (Louisiana Voodoo)
Skin: The Witch

Hot =0, Cold +1, Volatile -1, Dark +2

Conditions:
Carry Forward:

Harm: ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Experience Points:
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) (advance)

Moves:

[+]Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens  items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a string.

[+]Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet a targets gaze and chant at them in tongues. 
Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can be easily reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
-The casting does you one harm;
-the Hex has unexpected side effects;
-trigger your Darkest Self.
Hexes
[+]Witcher- The person loses all of their hair, ortheir teeth start rotting and falling out, or their period comes and it comes by the bucketful, or their skin gets all
sickly yellow and spotty. Whatever the specifics, its bad.
[+]Ring of Lies- Whenever the person attempts to lie, they hear a piercing ringing noise. Big lies will often make their knees buckle and disorient them. Severe lies can
cause harm or even brain damage.
[+]Binding - The person cannot physically harm others
[+]Watching  You enter a deep sleep, and begin to see the world through the eyes of the hexed. You can feel their reactions to and impressions of what they are seeing
[+]Illusions: Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.
[+]Ban: Pick a small place (a room maximum) object, or person. The Hexed needs to roll hold steady to approach.

[+]Bide My Time
If youve got a sympathetic token against someone, add 1 to all rolls to hold steady against their actions or to run away from them.

Sex Move:
After sex, take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and its cool

Darkest Self:
The time for subtlety and patience is over. Youre too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have 
unexpected side effects,and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Backstory:
You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide whose and what they are.
One of the others caught you rummaging through their friends stuff, but kept quiet. They get a string on you.

Strings:

Advances:
All Spells
Hot +1
New Spell: Ban
Two Grown Up Moves: Share Your Pain and Call Someone Out.
With the rebuilding going on, there's a lot of people mixing that normally don't mix. There's Luke Dawson for example. He lived in a town quite outside of New Orelans. Pretty much swamp and gator territory. Wasn't big before all this, and now it's pretty much gone. His parents end up here, but he sticks out like a sore thumb. He's a bit rough, tends to get violent a bit quick. And while he's not exactly Mr. Progressive, the times I talked to him, I'm thinking he's less racist that plenty of cosmopolitan folks from around the city.

You know, there's a small night shop. Bhaskar runs it, I don't know his family name. But he's got a lot of things for sale. More than you'd expect to be at a night shop. Auntie got her things there, and they seemed to go way back. When the storm came, he'd evacuated and between the storms ad people scavenging for supplies, there wasn't much left from his store except the building. But he's back. Got his shop cleaned out, completely refilled his stocks and anything. Now I'm happy about this, because finding black roosters? But... if this guy has the money not just to evacuate, but to have his shop rebuilt that quickly... why is he running a little night-sotre in New Orleans?

And what I've lost? Well, auntie is probably the most obvious, right? Or the knowledge that went with her, or maybe a good amount of my faith in humanity. But probably better if I pick something more literal and less melodramatic. My cat. I had a black cat, Sylvester. He was like... you know... a cat. Sometimes out for a while and ignoring you, being all codependent and not sticking really close to you later. He wasn't an inside cat. And... well... he never came home when Katrina hit.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 23, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Anthony Tony Ceprien

I dont know what Im doing, thats the honest truth. I know what I should be doing, but its like someone telling you you have to fly a plane without teaching you how. My dad was meant to, he just wanted to wait until I was a grown man first, didnt have to balance school and our familys duty. Hed always tell me how much of a pain in the rear end that was for him growing up, and how he wasnt going to make me go through that - how he wanted to see me grow up without having to worry about anything more than my grades and prom.

Now hell never get the chance. We didnt move out after Katrina, we stayed to do what we could to help /anyone/ in this city and we didnt have family to go stay with anyway. It was tough, scary, I know Id have left if he wasnt around, but dad always said giving up was never an option, didnt matter how bad things got. Not even when Rita hit.

That night was the last I saw him alive - found him in the morning, face down in the street. I dont know what got him, but it wasnt the storm. Storms dont break every finger on your right hand, same place on each finger. Storms dont carve symbols on your skin, dont leave cuts on your body but not on your clothes. My father was murdered, the night that storm hit.

And now I dont know. I never knew how much I needed him until he was gone, you know? Im just a kid, I wasnt meant to take up the family business so soon - hell, I was hoping I might not have to take it up at all. But we dont get much of what we want nowadays, do we?

pre:
Hot 1 Cold -1 Volatile 1 Dark 0

Bitter, Wounded Eyes
Soul Survivor

Moves:
Growing Pains - When you fail to protect your friends, mark experience

Take the Blow - When you leap into the way and take the blow instead of someone else,
 roll with Volatile. On a 10 up, you take the harm instead of them, but reduce it by 1.
  On a 7-9, you take the harm instead of them. 

Backstory

You have two friends who you can rely on for monster-slaying support. Take a String on
 each. 

Theres someone who knows that youre the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives 
them a name and two Strings on you. 

Sex Move: 
When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all of your Conditions. If they 
disgust you, give them a String. If you disgust yourself, give them a String. 

Darkest Self:
None of your friends can help. Theyre not strong like you are. You need to chase down
 the biggest threat imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or dangers that 
you encounter must be faced head on, even if they might kill you. You escape your 
Darkest Self when someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the hospital, whichever 
comes first. 
NPC:
With things turning to such poo poo, the school was happy to accept a volunteer to act as a counselor for the students. Ms. Georgia Lamb. She's nice, I guess, one of those types of people who's all smiles and flowery, way-too-reasonable statements. You know, the kind of person you normally see on TV Shows playing the role of a psychiatrist for whatever rich, mentally damaged rear end in a top hat of a character needs someone to talk to.

Nah, I haven't told her a thing. Yeah, I keep getting advised to go see her, talk about my dad, start the 'healing process', but between you and me, there's something not right about her, not at all. Something fake, something slimy, and she just gives me the creeps. I wouldn't trust her knowing my birthday, let alone anything about my family duty.

Interesting Spot:
Well, dunno if it's interesting in like, the normal sense of the word, but there's this kinda hosed up thing I've found a while back. Like, from the outside it just looks like an apartment building, flooded for a few floors, big whoop. I checked it out on the inside, and like, when I got to the stairwell, I saw it just went down, and down, and down, further than a flashlight could see. I dropped a half-brick into the darkness, and it hit solid ground, not a single splash. I don't know what to make of it, really, don't have the time to explore it and honestly, I don't know what the gently caress might be down there in that building that doesn't make any sense, but... yeah, interesting, right?

Something I've Lost:
Can I just say my dad, again? No? Fine then, gently caress you. How about this - I've lost my future. It's out of my hands, now. I mean, I'd love to be able to joke around with friends, talk about being a new up-and-comer for the Saints, but like, out of the corner of my eye now, I see things that are strange, and I can't talk to anyone about it. Hell, I don't have many friends left, most of them hosed off out of the state like I should have. I can't even think about a normal life like them anymore - what happens if some monster comes after them to get to me, you know? God forbid I have a wife and kids. I don't know how my dad got through this poo poo, and I don't have any clue how I will, either.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 5, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

So, one thing I remember from this side of the Atlantic about Katrina is that there was some horrible stuff being done to the black community. And I'm taking that in my app, and it's rather central. Since one of the things she wants to do is search for those who did those crimes and bring them to justice. (and this will of course never lead to things getting out of hand) However, it's a sensitive subject, and not one of the usual queer and sexuality related ones. I don't want to hurt anyone, nor treat any religion with disrespect (and I know I'll misrepresent stuff, for one, I'm constantly talking about Haitian voudou stuff) and if anyone feels uncomfortable with this, it can be toned down.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

slydingdoor posted:

Jamie, The Selkie
Question 1:
What made you mad enough to disobey your parents and come up to the surface?

Ferrosol posted:

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Anderson, The Hollow
Question 1:
Why do you think your parents are lying about why you were in the city when it flooded.

Shogeton posted:

Jeanine Delacroix, The Witch
Question 1:
What lesson did you take from the first hex you cast that backfired?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Anthony ‘Tony’ Ceprien, the Chosen
Question 1:
Why did you let go the first monster you'd ever cornered?

Shogeton posted:

So, one thing I remember from this side of the Atlantic about Katrina is that there was some horrible stuff being done to the black community. And I'm taking that in my app, and it's rather central. Since one of the things she wants to do is search for those who did those crimes and bring them to justice. (and this will of course never lead to things getting out of hand) However, it's a sensitive subject, and not one of the usual queer and sexuality related ones. I don't want to hurt anyone, nor treat any religion with disrespect (and I know I'll misrepresent stuff, for one, I'm constantly talking about Haitian voudou stuff) and if anyone feels uncomfortable with this, it can be toned down.

That's a good point. First and foremost, everyone remember that it's a stupid elf Teenage Angst game. If you feel something going to a place that makes you feel uncomfortable, either say so in the thread or PM/IRC me, whichever you prefer. I'm available most times.

To start with, I'm going to have the blanket rule of No Racial Slurs. Period. If you have to ask if it counts, the answer is no.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Capfalcon posted:

Question 1: Why did you let go the first monster you'd ever cornered?

Man, I'm never going to live this one down. Like, everytime I even think about it, I can just hear my dad chuckling at me like I screwed up talking to a girl or fumbled a football or something... Okay, I shouldn't joke about it, it's more serious than that. So, basically, like I said, I don't have any training or anything for handling monsters. I can throw a mean right hook, my old man taught me how to stand up for myself, but I'm just going by gut feelings most of the time.

So I go out on 'patrol', like he used to, which basically means creeping around the city at night, and I hear this weird song coming from a flooded mall, you know, the kind that has like a billion different clothes shops and a pet store? Sounds kind of like a lullaby, but all creaky and wheezy, and I figure I should head in and check it out, and gently caress if I know what to do next, I'll just wing it.

Singing's coming from the pet store, which is never good, and sure enough, I get there and there's this warty like... frog-man thing, webbed feet and slimy skin, thin as a stick aside from his giant head and giant belly, and completely black eyes as big as basketballs, just munching on what's left of the starved, trapped animals. Like, I come up and he's got half a puppy stuck between his quivering lips.

It felt right to punch him, so I did, roughed him up, and he just started crying, this like, disgusting, mucus-y snorting sob, and wheezing out things about his Pa and stuff, and man, I don't know, what do you even do in that kind of situation? I guess I was meant to like, kill him, right? I mean he's a monster, but I just couldn't do it. I told him to get his rear end out of town, and just like, left. I mean what the gently caress was I meant to do? He wasn't fighting back, even if he is a gross loving creep, and... I dunno, man.

I checked back on that place a few days later, and the petstore was cleaned /out/, and Warty left a message for me. It doesn't take a genius to guess what a skull and crossbones means, even if the bones he used weren't human. So I've got some gross enemy out there somewhere, no clue what he can do, no clue what he's got planned, aside from it probably not being good. And believe it or not, that wasn't even the worst encounter I've had with a monster.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

You take so much for granted, you children of today. So many miracles that have reshaped your world to the point were it is no longer recognisable as mine. This medicine, for example (she holds up a bottle of penicillin) would have saved so many lives. Even mine, perhaps.

Consumption, we called it. Today it would be tuberculosis, I think. It was slowly killing me. Doctors of the time said the only thing to do would be to move to a dry climate, but Papa could not go, his business was here. Mama grew desperate, and then she grew foolish, and went among the slaves to seek a witch to cure me. It was a terrible mistake the woman she found had no interest in curing me, her family had suffered enough at the hands of mine for a dozen lifetimes. Soon after her midnight visit, I first felt the hunger. At first I could keep it at bay with fresh meat from the butchers, but all too soon my miraculous cure cost me my mind, and Papa his life. When the mob came for me I was rational again, and although I begged them they bound me in chains and buried me beneath the banks of the new levee.

I was...sleeping, I think. For a long time. Then my coffin was rudely torn open, and I was cast adrift in a tide of filthy water. This city has changed since I last walked the streets here it has been so very long. The buildings, the crowds, the festivals, some of these things are the same. But others...great towers of steel? Lights that blaze all the time, making night day? Men and women with no sense of decency, no self respect, who hardly speak a word of French? Not my old city at all. Still, not everything is bad. Despite what are clearly trying times the people are brave, proud and free. There is plenty of good food around, although it doesn't sate my real hunger. The machines are amazing, if a little wasteful. A grand time to be alive

A shame that I am not.

quote:

Magdalene DuRousseau, The Ghoul

Striking look, Calculating eyes, Disturbed origin.

Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Strings

PC
  • Toby 1
  • Liz
  • Jean 1
  • Ana 2
  • Jamie 2

NPC
  • Raoul Mendez 1
  • Benjamin Michelson 1

Ghoul Moves

The Hunger
You have a Hunger for: flesh, sex with Jamie, Rebecca, Anastasie
When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls.
When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

Disaffected
When you turn someone on, roll with cold.

Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up
fully healed.

Satiety
When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
} heal one harm;
} remove a Condition;
} mark experience;
} carry 1 forward.

Uncontainable
When you attempt to escape any form of physical
entrapment, roll with volatile. On a 10 up, you escape.
On a 7-9 the MC will offer you a hard bargain: agree if you
want to escape.

A gang of Necromantic Caretakers
Jamie?
Rebecca?

Your Backstory
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought
that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them
2 Strings.
Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to
life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, add having sex with
[this person] as an additional Hunger. If you already have
this Hunger, mark experience.

Darkest Self
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between
you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed
relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone
restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to
regain your composure at least thirty or forty minutes.

quote:

• I want to indulge in every freedom that this new miraculous future offers me.
  • I want to preserve a vestige of what I consider higher moral standards, although I would be hard pressed to articulate exactly what they are.
  • I want revenge. The woman who cursed me is long dead. I will find someone else.
  • I need to eat flesh. Live is better than fresh is better than preserved, human is better than animal. I can strip a frozen pig carcass to the bone and still cram in more, or subsist for some time on quite a small bite from a live human.
  • I fear that I am nothing more than a beast, a corpse driven only by base urges.
  • I fear discovery - my nature and my family history would both be socially ruinous for me should they become common knowledge.
  • I fear that the world has moved so far I will never catch up or understand it.
  • I will not be chained or buried alive again. A thousand deaths before that long dark.

A Person posted:

The music of this time is so exciting, so licentious and dynamic and uplifting and terrifying. The man who teaches music at this school, Jean Fortune (boys and girls learning side by side, the mere thought of it would drive my mother to distraction) embodies some of those qualities as well. A scruffy vagabond seemingly out of place among the priests and nuns who otherwise dominate the place, but he is a charming rogue. His French is atrociously accented, but fluent.

A Place posted:

My parents are buried in the St Louis Cemetery, and I spend a great deal of time there. I tend their graves and pray for their souls, although what good the prayers of a cannibal patricide risen from the dead will bring them I do not know. I hope if it is they who are watching me then they are at peace. Still, it is calm and quiet there, a great respite from the pace of the city.

Something Lost posted:

Mama. Papa. My home, my life, my time. What haven't I lost that will not return? You meant perhaps something smaller, though.

I had a silver locket around my neck when I was buried, and I had it when the flood finally cast me on to dry ground again. It was lost when a band of ruffians accosted me as I tried to reach my former home. I was not gentle with them, but I was new to my resurrection and they were armed men. In the end they escaped, one of them with my locket and with it pictures of Mama and Papa that I will never see again.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 20, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Question 1:
What lesson did you take from the first hex you cast that backfired?

That would be the time I dealt with old Timothy Barker. He's pretty much at the bottom of the shitlist. But auntie always used to say this was like cooking. Don't try to make a fancy dish from the start. Start from a gumbo, work your way up. He didn't even kill anyone as far as I know. He used to be all friendly-like to us in the French quarter. But when the flood hit, well, I don't know what it was, maybe he just got wrapped up in things because of his family who was there, maybe something happened and he decided to blame all of us for it, or maybe he was just always a racist piece of poo poo but just a polite one. But when I was there with mom, asking if he had some fresh water he could spare, he waved in our face and his words weren't exactly kind.

And afterwards, he put that mask right back on as if nothing had happened. Talked about the community getting together. About the fine work of the NOPD. He even got interviews out of it, the fork tongued snake. So, when I heard some journalists were there, I made my way there, went to a building nearby, with proper sacrifices. Asked the Loa to make sure to punish him for every false word coming out of his drat lying mouth. Once the spell was cast, I was getting in the audience to watch the show. Now it worked, and he looked like he'd gone soft in the head on live national television. And I watched him. Thing is, the chicken broth I made for the loa, well, I might have actually not followed the advice and tried something to fancy. The loa didn't approve, and they took their pound of flesh from me. Nothing that won't heal, but the thing is, there's clips of me on national television, somewhere in the back watching, and suddenly I'm starting to bleed under my sleeves. I made myself scarce quickly, and I was in the back of the crowd. You'd have to know what to look for. But I wasn't sleeping easily the next days.

The lesson? You don't do the ceremony close to your target unless there's no way to avoid it. Auntie always said that kids these days always are obsessed with getting a front seat view, and I guess she was right. Should have followed her advice there.

Mind you, I'm still not following her advice on... pretty much everything else though.

quote:

That's a good point. First and foremost, everyone remember that it's a stupid elf Teenage Angst game. If you feel something going to a place that makes you feel uncomfortable, either say so in the thread or PM/IRC me, whichever you prefer. I'm available most times.

To start with, I'm going to have the blanket rule of No Racial Slurs. Period. If you have to ask if it counts, the answer is no.

Very much agreed.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Question 1:
What made you mad enough to disobey your parents and come up to the surface?
Every Selkie dances outside their pelts, except for me. After the first time, when everyone saw that my pelt's inside didn't match the outside... I would hang out alone in sunken ships from the Dry Kingdom. It wasn't as though boy or girls wanted to swim with me anymore anyway. I found a dry room in one, with light. I took off my pelt breathed some stale old air, and found pictures of Dry Kingdom Selkies, outside their pelts. They looked like me, but happy. I wanted to meet them, swim--no, walk with them. But the room ran out of air, and when I tried to take the pictures with me the sea disintegrated them.

I asked my parents for their permission and they denied me, so I left with grandpa's blessing instead.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 6, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

slydingdoor posted:

Jamie, The Selkie
Question 2: What was the strangest gift the Ocean ever brought you?

Shogeton posted:

Question 2: What is the one Loa you won't ever talk to?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Anthony ‘Tony’ Ceprien, the Chosen
Question 2: What is the most dangerous threat on the streets right now, and why haven't you taken it out?

thatbastardken posted:

Question 1: Where do you go in the city when you want to remember how your life used to be?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

Question 1:
Why do you think your parents are lying about why you were in the city when it flooded.

They claim we became separated when they prepared to evacuate the city. Supposedly while they travelled in the car to evacuate I became agitated and insisted on going back for some treasured personal possession. Reluctantly they claim they let me go back trusting me to be old enough to look after myself and that there was plenty of time before the storm hit. After that they say they do not know what happened to me. They lie. Where I was found after my drowning was miles from their my domicile, no sane human would risk their lives to save a measly personal possession and no sensible caregiver would willingly allow their child to wander off alone. None of this is logical and they expect me to believe their fallacies.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ferrosol posted:

Question two:

Since you've come back, what's the one thing that you've found so beautiful it made you weep?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Question 1: Where do you go in the city when you want to remember how your life used to be?

It is...difficult to capture the feeling of my old life. My memories are still very sharp, but the city is so different. I can wander the streets of the French Quarter and while some of the houses look familiar there are so many more that are new. Not recently built, but after my time. New Orleans has been through so much. Graveyards are better, little has changed and my reverie is not as likely to be disturbed by the noise of a passing car, or a child playing with some device. The best place is the river. No matter what changes men may make to this city the river keeps flowing, same as it ever was. At night I often sit on a levee bank, close my eyes and all I can hear is the water. Sometimes I think about letting the current wash me out to sea, leaving this new world behind.

More likely I would end up in the jaws of a gator somewhere in the bayou, which is a rather less appealing thought.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It was right after we got back from Baton Rouge. The city was a fuckin' ghost town, I've never seen it so empty. It was like I'd gotten lost in some other city, a fake city somebody'd built to look kinda like Nawlins.

Anyway, that first night at the shelter, I... I can't say why, but I just had to get out and go for a walk. Lying there, listening to people cryin', staring at the roof of the tent, it was driving me nuts. So I went out into the mist and headed out towards the bayou. Mom woulda fuckin' killed me if she knew; it wasn't safe but I didn't really give a poo poo at that point. And I... sort of... got lost, I guess? I was just walkin', thinkin' about all that death and all the broken poo poo around me and suddenly I came out of the trees and I was at this place I'd never been to before, it's like, a clearing in the middle of the swamp. How the gently caress did I get here, I'm thinkin'. Well, through the mist I could see this old signpost, so I head to it and there's this sort of... crossroads.

And that's where I met Dad. I dunno why -- I could just tell it was him as soon as I saw him. Top hat, black suit, big cigar. He was just standin' by the signpost, leanin' on his shovel, and all around are these piles of dirt. Graves.

"D-dad?" I said.

"Anastaise," he says. Ugh, his breath smelled like rum. "Welcome home, child." And then that creepy grin, those white teeth...

Of course Mom never, you know, talked about him. I always figured he was just some deadbeat rear end in a top hat she met in college or whatever, she did a lot of crazy poo poo back then apparently. Sure as hell didn't pay any fuckin' child support. Even still, I sort of wanted to know who he was, especially when Mom would get all depressed about it. Maybe just so I knew who to fuckin' hate.

I guess I shoulda been careful what I wished for. I'm not stupid -- I know who he is. What he is. So... what the gently caress does that make me?

Jacques Millner is this lovely guy that pushes at the school. Mostly just weed and crack. I guess he's supposed to be a senior but he looks like he's fuckin' twenty-five, he must have gotten held back. Maybe I'd pity him if he weren't a piece of poo poo that slaps his girlfriend around in public. You know, he broke some poor guy's arm with a chair once? He offered me some grass and of course I told him to go gently caress an alligator, but now he's started bein' all, like... creepy. Tryin' to talk to me in the halls, hanging around my locker. He has a goddamn girlfriend! rear end in a top hat.

Since we've only got school for like, half the day, they have us volunteer to help out with the cleanup. Music St. is the neighborhood we're working on; it got pretty much wiped out in the storm and only a few of the people even bothered to come back. They say it was under, like, nine feet of water. What a fuckin' nightmare. Most of what we do is just throwing poo poo away, which is depressing as hell. It used to be this super vibrant place and now it's just... trash. Mud and trash, trash and mud. Mr. Charles says it'll all get rebuilt but of course he'd say that, he's gotta say poo poo like that. Me, I'm thinking: some things, you just can't fix.

Speaking of: my house. Two feet of water is sure as hell better than nine, but the, you know, contractors or whatever looked at it and I guess it's basically hosed. They said it might be fixable but it's not like we're super rich where we can just throw money at it. I know, gently caress, I can't really complain, I'm alive and so's my mom and that's all that matters. poo poo, even most of my loving stuff is fine. But every time I walk by and see all that poo poo caked all over the place I grew up... the boards nailed over the windows... I just can't handle it. I can't go there with Mom 'cause I don't want her to see me cryin' about it.

quote:

Anastaise Lumire, the Fae Shadow

girlish
piercing eyes
fae born

Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +1

Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
  • they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
  • add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
  • they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

Guide
If you spend a String on someone willing, you can bring them across the veil, into the spirit world. The spell doesn't last long, though, before you're both returned to the mundane world.

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.
  • The Power Flows Through You: You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).
  • Uncanny Voices: You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone youre talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose).

Lure
Whenever someone makes a promise to you, they mark experience. Whenever someone breaks a promise to you and you seek vengeance, mark experience.

Unashamed
Give someone a string to add 3 to your roll to turn them on.

The Passenger
Your Shadow takes note of anyone with their fingers in your clay. Anytime someone gains a string on you, give them the condition Shadowed. When you gaze into the abyss, its your Shadow who answers.

Whispers in the Dark
When someone with the Shadowed condition gazes into the abyss, you may answer instead of the MC, and you may lie. This removes the Shadowed condition from the gazer. This does not require the Shadowed condition if gaze into the abyss is used to ask questions about you.

Misdirection
Whenever someone attributes your actions or those of your Shadow to an innocent party, the accuser marks experience and you gain a string on them.

Sex Move
When youre intimate with someone, give them the Shadowed condition. If they already have it, mark experience and give them the Drained condition instead. If they already have that as well, they take 1 harm.

Darkest Self
Youve let what was outside in, and it isnt interested in leaving. You have a ringside seat for the darkness parading around in your skin, and it doesnt like all the friends and foes youve made. It needs to hurt and punish to distance itself from all those connections, and it isnt afraid to cross as many lines as it takes to do it. While you are your Darkest Self, you can use Mine! (i.e. roll Dark to lash out physically) even if youve never selected the move. You can escape your Darkest Self when someone recognizes you arent behind the wheel, or when all your strings are gone.

Promises
I promised Toni I'd find out about Maggie.
Magdalena promised she wouldn't hurt me or Jamie.
I promised I'd come to Jamie if I felt in danger from "the big scary man."
Dad promised he wouldn't hurt Jeanine as long as she showed him respect.
Vicky promised she wouldn't get mad if I went after Simon.
Toby promised to stop ditching girls.
Cynthia promised not to hurt Elizabeth.
I promised to knife Liz if she got out of control.
Jamie made a contract to trade my phone for her pelt.
Toby promised not to let himself get as hurt as he did before.
Jamie promised to let me die the next time I got in trouble.
Magdalena promised she'd get me home safely after the party.

megane fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 11, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Question 2: What is the one Loa you won't ever talk to?

That would be Dinclinsin. Everything that is has its spirit. And Dinclinsin is the spirit of all the cruelty of the colonizers, the plantation owners, the rich fucks running things. So, why would a mambo or hougan ever call on him? Well, it happens rarely, but that spirit can influence... business deals. Aunty told me a tale of an industrialist about a century ago who'd made an enemy of a 'two handed' practicioner. He didn't have family he cared for, only his company, so Dincinsin was called in, and the guy's company suddenly could catch no breaks. Deals went wrong, deliveries got lost, investments came to nothing. The loa is cruel, and he's willing to go to town Sounds like a loa I can make use of to get at some folks, right?

Wrong. He's got the guise of a plantation owner, and he acts like one. He treats you with contempt, and asks to be served 'properly' before he's willing to make those deals. He hurts the Cheval he rides, leaving whipmarks on him, and you can't call him out on that poo poo if you want his services. Auntie's 'cookbook' says that his preferred offerings are rum and sugar cane, but the thing he really wants is dignity, YOUR dignity.

gently caress him.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

Question two:

Since you've come back, what's the one thing that you've found so beautiful it made you weep?

It was not long after I escaped from the hospital that I saw it. The rest of the area had been devastated but a place of worship remained. Water damaged certainly but open and ready to serve its community. I went in more out of a sense of curiosity and a need to learn than anything else. The place was packed, people moving with purpose carrying clothes and food back and forth under directions from their leader. But more importantly were the others. Individuals, families, groups all giving thanks for their survival or seeking solace from the death of close ones. They were wrong, they were saved not by some invisible man in the sky but by their own efforts. But it surprised me to see these religious leaders going forth to these a word a joke an apology and an offer to pray, all seemed to comfort and reassure these people. It brought moisture to my eyes. Then the wonderful thing happened one of them came to me I did not fully understand his words even now but seeing a stranger reach out to me not even a member of his faith without my even having to ask was beautiful.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Question 2: What was the strangest gift the Ocean ever brought you?
We were having trouble with some patrons at Bouvier's, their Red Cross relief cards had gone dry. They started saying they'd get more and pay us later. With interest. Tips of our dreams, if they could get a little special service. I recognized the aggression from Deep Kingdom Selkie males. Dancing wasn't enough for them anymore. They desperately wanted to mate, when they needed to be hunting for... what are they called?--dollars. Back home, in my pelt, I would just fight. Man to man. The hungry never won, no matter how desperate, because I hunted well enough. Here, where I was always outside my pelt, and the desperate armed themselves with blades and guns, I felt like all we were allowed to do was hide now and try to forget later.

I wanted to dunk my head underwater and scream, even though it'd melt my mask of paint, but when I went outside I found a dead southern puffer that had washed up. It was so odd that it must have been a sign, that I needn't be defenseless. So I cut out her liver and ovaries, where she kept her poison, and put the entrails under my nails. Then I invited the men to a secret dance, unbeknownst to my sisters. I ran my hands under their pelts, scratched the bodies hidden inside, and danced until I ran out of clothes and they ran out of time. Even though I had been performing for a captive audience that didn't provide much feedback, I think my debut went well.

I got Bernie and we rolled the them like anyone who blacked out after being thrown out, and after my shift I tied them together, put on my pelt, hauled them somewhere abandoned and butchered them for steaks. I say they had a horseradish rub to explain the tongue tingle, and limit one per customer per night.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 8, 2014

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
I still have work to do on my sheet, but here is what I have so far.

Name: Guillaume Deruisseau
Look: Out of place, Hollow eyes
Skin: The Ghost
Origin: Left to die/Tragic accident

Stats:
Hot: -1
Cold: 1
Volatile: 0

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one anothers characters. This can be spoken by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone
acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Moves:

Unresolved Trauma: Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, give two people the blamed condition. On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each, choose one:

} You gain the delusional condition,
} You cant speak during this scene,
} You suffer one harm,
} You start re-enacting the scene of your death

Hungry Ghost
You find sustenance in sadness. When others dump their emotional problems
on you, roll with dark. On a 10 up, they lose all their conditions, and you choose one:
} Mark experience,
} Carry one forward,
} Gain a String on them. On a 7-9, they choose one:
} They lose all their conditions,
} They gain a String on you.

Your Backstory:
I died during the hurricane of 1926. My death came about due to my waiting for my girlfriend to meet me. I had insisted on meeting her, even though I knew the hurricane approached. She no doubt showed more sense and chose not to come. I perished in the storm. My exact death being unknown to me.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 7, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

god I hate you all so, so much

Johnson Johnson: Paraplegic, member of the profane risen dead, kind of an rear end in a top hat

They say that, deep down, every pessimist is a disappointed optimist. Maybe that's true, maybe it isn't, but the storm was rough on everyone. There's something about losing everything you've built up that can make it hard to build up again, or to even care about building up at all. Compared to the more drastic effects of trauma that the system has been flooded with, one student slowly failing to give a poo poo is hardly noteworthy; hell, it barely makes the grade on 'normal' years.

Medically speaking, John (never Johnson which, yes, is his real name and, no, he doesn't find funny) died during the storm; a tree was blown down and he wasn't fast enough to get out of the way. The story should have ended there. Instead, Jacques was given an unexpected gift and clawed his way back to unlife. The medevac team called it a miracle, but it wasn't quite enough of one to un-crush his spine. Thus far, it's turned out that he was brought back as the kind of vampire that has to drink blood to survive but doesn't get, you know, super powers or anything. John's most frequent method of feeding is to ask somebody to pick up something for him or help him up some stairs or something and then bite them when they lean in close, which is exactly as lame and bullshit as it sounds.

John expects little, if anything, from his future, is easily bored, and starts each day wondering what fresh new indignities await him. It turns out that not caring about things is really cool in high school, so he's been fitting in well enough until people realize that it's either not at all an act or an act that goes much deeper than they're comfortable with. He does like feeding, though.

In fact, he likes it quite a lot.

Look: Aloof, dead eyes
Skin: The Vampire
Origin: Newly Reborn

Stats:
Hot: 1
Cold: 2
Volatile: -1
Dark: -1

Moves:
The Feeding
You feed on hot blood. If this is the
first time theyve ever been fed upon,
you both mark experience. When you
feed, choose two:
} you heal 1 harm previously suffered,
} you carry 1 forward,
} they dont die.

Cold as Ice
When you successfully shut someone
down (7 up), you may choose an extra
option from the 7-9 list.

Aaron Gravois gave John his second chance at life and claims to be much, much older than he appears. He claims also to belong to a secret organization dedicated to ensuring the dominion of vampires over humanity once and for all. Mostly, though, he just tries to get John to get out more. Which, you know, is a nice gesture and all. John's participated in a black mass or two with him for politeness' sake.

When he doesn't feel like being at home, John can usually be found at the Phoenix Community Center. It's a place where parents can send their kids knowing they'll probably stay out of trouble; they host lots of different activities, occasionally dances and that kind of thing. The community's been leaning on it pretty heavily since the storm, and its resources are stretched thin.

John has lost any trust in the future. When everything can be swept away at a moment's notice, anybody who claims that things will be better tomorrow is selling something.

Androc fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 8, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Capfalcon posted:

Question 2: What is the most dangerous threat on the streets right now, and why haven't you taken it out?

If I had to pick one, it'd be whatever killed my dad, but I know barely anything about it. All I know is it's not the one that I came up against about... a week ago? But man, that's a whole other loving problem. Like, I can handle 'monster' monsters, you know, like the frog dude I told you about, stuff like that. But then there's Rebecca. I know her from school, she's not that social, not that athletic, kinda just blends in. Her dad's some philanthropist, funds a bunch of the projects rebuilding this city, but that just makes this whole situation with her even worse.

Never would have expected her to be a vampire, but I guess it kind of makes sense in hindsight - nobody would have expected her. I only found out through chance. Bitch doesn't even give a poo poo about being secret - like, I found her feeding on someone in an alley a few blocks from her school, and confronted her about it... and she just laughed in my face. Like 'go ahead, tell people, who's going to believe you?'

And it made me think - even /if/ I could beat and kill her, and I don't know that I could even do that, what would I do then? It would basically be a murder, with me having to try to hide a body, because if it ever got found out that a black kid murdered, or even assaulted a famous person's white daughter, I'd have the book thrown at me faster than you can say 'lynch'.

So... couldn't do it, couldn't fight her, couldn't stop her, and she knew that. She gets to keep doing what she does, and I can't do a thing about it as far as I know. That poo poo loving sucks.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

All right. I'm going to close the apps and put up another round of questions in a little.

Should get rolling Tuesday or Wednesday.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jamie, The Selkie
Question 3: What's the Bouvier's secret that the mistress might kill you if she found out you knew?

Question 3: Why is someone hunting you?

Question 3: How did someone shake off your most powerful hex?

Anthony Tony Ceprien, The Chosen
Question 3: What's one of your dad's hunting rules that you still don't understand?

Question 2: Who were you shocked to recognize while you were walking down the street?

Anastaise Lumire, the Fae
Question 1: Now that you know him, what favor have you asked your father for, and why do you regret it?

Johnson Johnson, The Vampire
Question 1: Who was the first person you killed by feeding on them?
(Also, you've got Cold As Ice on your sheet twice)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Question 2: Who were you shocked to recognize while you were walking down the street?

One of the men, and I use the term extremely loosely, who was in the mob that buried me alive. Tall, a Yankee from the way he was dressed. I don't recall if we'd met before that, although it's not impossible. Papa entertained many visitors for his line of work, and despite being frail I was expected to be present at certain function. He was never at the front of the mob, always hanging back, observing my plight with some detached interest. Like natural philosopher with some interesting beetle in his ether jar. I remember as the lid was closed his was the last face I saw, those pale eyes silently measuring me. I remember in that moment hating him so intensely I thought my heart would burst. And then I saw him last week, touring the ruined streets with a cloud of lackeys hovering around him. He never spoke, just made gestures and signed documents and...stared at what is left of my city like a hungry dog.

I am ashamed to admit that I turned and fled as the shock overcame me. I should have...I wanted to...need to...tear him apart AND FEAST ON THOSE DAMMED EYES!.

Excuse me. That was uncivil. Still, I will not be held accountable should this man and I meet again.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 8, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

Question 1: Who was the first person you killed by feeding on them?

My dad's a nice guy. Sometimes too nice. There's a friend he goes way back with that's fallen to pieces ever since the storm. Anyway, one day he shows up at our door drunk. Like, really, really drunk, can barely talk. It was late and he'd probably been at some party in the neighborhood. Dad puts him on the couch and I'm like, cool, free food.

The guy had been taking advantage of Dad. First it was occasionally needing to crash or borrow money (that we didn't have and he didn't repay), but by the end he was stealing from us and my dad refused to see it. He died of alcohol poisoning. The 'undiagnosed anemia' he had probably didn't help. I didn't do it on purpose, but I'm not sorry. He was probably going to go out that way one of these days, anyway.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

Question 3: Why is someone hunting you?

Hunting me? Whatever do you mean? Although now that you mention it there has been these unusual calls to my cellular telephone these past few days, I pick them up and there's no-one on the other end of the line. Sometimes there is this weird sound which gives me a bit of a headache but otherwise no response. Whoever it is does not leave a number. Also I may just be being over sensitive but I think somebody followed me home from school yesterday he? was wearing a gray baggy suit and a hat pulled down to cover his eyes he drove behind me the whole way home and I saw him stop outside our trailer for a few minutes when I went into it. Something about him seems oddly familiar as if I have seen him somewhere before but I have no memory of him. Elizabeth begins to sob "I have lost so much, forgotten everything and everyone and none of it is coming back."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

Anastaise Lumire, the Fae
Question 1: Now that you know him, what favor have you asked your father for, and why do you regret it?
Well, okay, after that first night, I was sort of tryin' really hard not to... believe myself, I guess? I came up with all these explanations. You know. It was a dream. He's actually a normal guy playin' a trick on me. I'm goin' insane.

Still haven't ruled that one out. gently caress.

Anyway, so, I'm thinkin', I've gotta be sure, gotta prove it one way or the other. So I decided I'd ask him, well. Uh, Bobbie Truman, she was my friend in middle school. She died a few years ago, like, some kind of blood thing I think. I figured, if he's really... if he's, you know, real, then he should be able to let me... talk to her. It was stupid of me. Spiteful. Whatever.

When I get a chance to get back to the crossroads and ask him, he just smiles. "You sure that's what you really want?" He takes me down through this old cemetery, and there she is, sittin' on top of her own tombstone, like she was just waitin' for the bus. And when she looked at me, my heart just fuckin' stopped. She's dead! I couldn't breathe, what the hell was I supposed to say to her? So I did the dumbest thing I could've done, and ran the gently caress away. And as I ran, all I could hear was Dad's laughter ringin' through the trees.

One day... one day I'm gonna have to talk to her. I just, I dunno if my heart can take it right now.

megane fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 11, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Capfalcon posted:

Anthony Tony Ceprien, The Chosen
Question 3: What's one of your dad's hunting rules that you still don't understand?

Ah, yeah, that's one of the few things I've got to go on aside from gut feeling - his loving dumb book of rules. He had this dusty old book that was his father's and his before him blah blah blah, but that's fallen apart by now. I spent a day copying it all down in a notebook to memorize, before the humidity took it, and even once you've translated things from 'ye olde bullshit' to English, there's still a couple that don't make sense.

The worst of them is 'Be As Honest With Monsters As You Are With Yourself'. Like... why? If that's literal, it's stupid as gently caress, why would you be honest with the things you're meant to kill, when you can deceive them for an advantage, or like, at the very least, keep them from figuring out who you are so they can target you when you aren't expecting it? It's not like monsters are going to play by any rules you set, that's why they're monsters!

If it's figurative, then... whatever. Figurative poo poo can mean anything, and anyway, I'll trust my gut over any dumb philosophical bullshit.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Question 2:
What probably baseless rumor is John chasing that promises to heal his spine?

Anastaise Lumire, The Fae
Question 2:
Who has your father told you to avoid at all costs?

Question 3:
Now that you've re-awoken, when has your hunger gotten the better of you?

Guillaume Deruisseau, The Ghost
Question 1:
What is your one keepsake from your time while you were alive?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Jamie, The Selkie
Question 3: What's the Bouvier's secret that the mistress might kill you if she found out you knew?
I found some movies in green on the dead mens' phones. Secret camera recordings of private dances for one... none of the performers know about them. Then I saw one with the Madam, and I know she's in on the secret because she looks into the camera. She doesn't want to be dancing though, she looks so afraid of the other two people in it. Both of those two are wearing Mardi Gras masks and expensive suits. Neither of them take anything off, nor do they leave any money behind at the end. I ask myself why one of them doesn't even move, so I watch it again, faster, and notice the leanings, back and forth, and blood soaking through the clothes. That one's dead.

I think, why would the Madam dance for a dead person? Then I see in the first frame, frozen on screen, smoke coming from the other one's pocket, from a hidden gun pointed at the madam. The one with the gun must be those men's boss, because each of the dead men's phones had a copy of the movie with the madam, titled "Lido (one more for the road)," in addition to one of his own dance, with his favorite dancer.

When I checked the last phone, my friend Bernie was the one performing, even though we're not allowed! I wanted to stop watching and kill the man again, but I couldn't. do. either. because I already had, and because I am weak.

I can't tell anyone what I know. The person with the mask would kill everyone, they don't care. If I told anyone they'd save lives by taking mine, because it'd be easier than killing Mask. I intend to try anyway.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Question 3:
Now that you've re-awoken, when has your hunger gotten the better of you?

While I was still wandering the flooded city, disoriented and afraid, the hunger was the one thing I had to hold on to to keep myself going. Like gripping a razor to keep from falling asleep. There was no shortage of corpses at first, many people had been trapped and drowned, or died of other injuries. No-one would be alarmed if 'scavengers' had gnawed on them a little. It had been perhaps a week when I saw what looked like another opportunity, a young girl lying in-between two carriages. When I approached her she stirred and looked at me. I froze in horror at what I had been about to do. She tried to speak, but she coughed up bile and blood - at some point she had been injured in the stomach, and the injury was badly infected. I sat with her, trying to comfort her as best I could as she slipped away. I know now if she had been able to get to a hospital she might have survived, but at the time I was not aware of the power of modern medicine. I had some thought that at least I could return her to her parents, so that they could have that comfort at least. When her last breath eased past her lips, I looked at her angelic face, flawless ebony skin smeared with muck and grime, and all thoughts of charity flew from my mind. I dragged her into a secluded alley and ate almost every scrap of flesh, cracked bones and sucked out the marrow. So much sweeter than the cold flesh I had been subsisting on. I found the cause of her death, a bullet in her stomach, while I was feasting on her entrails.

The hunger laughed at me as I vomited, and forced me to eat again, the flesh no less delicious for being salted with my tears. I have not lost myself as badly since then. I will try to find her killer, if nothing else. I owe her that.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

Question 2:
What probably baseless rumor is John chasing that promises to heal his spine?

Aaron's probably full of it, but I've seen him and his weirdo goth friends turn up around some freaky poo poo. If he or someone he knows has a line on real power, well, maybe I can learn to make the best of being an Anne Rice reject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

Question 2:
Who has your father told you to avoid at all costs?

He calls her the Worm. See, Dad's usually chill as gently caress, just keeps on smilin' no matter what I say or do. I guess he's really proud about how powerful he is, 'cause of course nobody ever gets out of. You know. Dying. Like, no matter what, he wins in the end, so why even bother gettin' pissed. But when he talks about her, god drat, he looks fuckin' furious. Swears even more than usual. I guess she died, like a long time ago, but then... escaped or something. And nobody does that poo poo to Dad and gets away with it, apparently. I asked if maybe I could help him find her, I dunno, and suddenly he's back to his normal smiley self. "That's my girl. Hmmhmmhmmmm. Ain't afraid of nothin' or nobody, are you, child. But 'round this particular motherfucker, you oughta be shakin' in your pretty little boots; she'll eat your got-drat heart with hot sauce and ain't no two ways about that." He pulls out another cigar and lights it. "You see her, you tell me, 'cause I got a bone to pick with that bitch, hmmhmmmm."

I dunno what the gently caress to think about that.

• Locked thread