Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Handy Links

Single Player Thread
Ability Calculator
Google Doc Player List
Compilation of Armor Visuals, since the game isn't kind enough to show you what they'll look like before crafting.
Index of MP gear (WIP)
IRC channel is #ridethebull on SynIRC (People still use IRC?)

Basics

Four player, wave based co-op. A lot like Mass Effect 3's MP, except you're trekking along a linear dungeon rather than running around an enclosed arena. Maps consist of four objective focused waves followed by a final 'boss' wave. Currently there are only three maps, and the layouts are all a little samey, but there's also an impressive array of twelve different classes, each with a pretty varied ability set. So at least you can wear lots of different hats while grinding out wave after wave of hapless AI mooks.

Enemy Types

The enemy set you get is chosen randomly and your options are Demons, Red Templars or Venatori. The trash of each kind is largely inconsequential. Some stuff, like Archer packs or Despair demons can be a bother, but it's the final bosses that really define each group, since they're the only things you can't just face-roll your way through.

Venatori Commander: Some kind of Mage type thing. Easiest of the bosses. Provided you don't stand on the big glowing fire patches she puts down everything should go smooth.

Red Templar Commander: Plays a lot like a proper World of Warcraft dungeon boss. He's got three phases that trigger at 66/33% and each one comes with a new ability you have to watch out for. Phase 1 he's got a Whirlwind with a long windup, when you see him charging it just run away and kite him in circles. Phase 2 he adds a ground smash to his move set, he'll use it three times in succession and it can be dodged by just strafing left and right. Phase 3 he gets a leap ability, signaled him pantomime a throat slash, just stay on the move whenever he does it and you should get away fine. Also dude is wicked slow, so if you have aggro on him he's simple enough to just kite forever provided you understand how his abilities work and how to avoid them.

Demon Commander: The mandatory bullshit boss that every pug will hate. Whenever he is out of melee range or doesn't have a valid aggro target he'll teleport to a player and knock them down, often dealing lethal damage if they don't have a Barrier. His teleport has a tell, a greenish smoke around his target, and you have a second to avoid it. The easiest way is with a dodge move like Fade Step or Evade. It can also be gotten out of by Sprinting, but between lag and sluggish animations this can be risky. He's also got an AoE terror and Projectile attack, but they're both peanuts next to the Teleport. Learn to avoid it and you'll be good... at least until the rest of your group are all dead because they don't know what the gently caress.

Characters

Twelve to choose from, three for each class. You begin with three unlocked (Bolded below) and gain the rest by crafting or finding one of their armor sets.

Warriors:
Legionnaire - The tankiest tank who ever tanked. The token damage sponge. Build him right and you can taunt everything and never die.
Katari - First of the two handed Warriors. Strikes a balance between tanking, damage and control.
Reaver The other two handed Warrior. Full DPS, gives no shits about tanking, cuts things in half to regain health.
Templar - Not quite the tank that the Legionnaire is, but with a bit more mobility and utility to make up for it.

Rogues:
Archer - The default ranged character. Loves to auto attack. Tape down the left mouse/trigger and take a nap.
Assassin - Also loves to auto attack, but does it from melee, so you might want to be awake while playing her. Outstanding single target DPS.
Alchemist - Less damage than the Assassin, but with more AoE and utility.
Hunter - The Alchemist to the Archer's Assassin. Less single target DPS in exchange for more utility.

Mages:
Keeper - Primary support character. Very little damage, but a wide array of control and defensive options. Has one of the few CC's that affects bosses.
Elementalist - Unrivaled God-King of all things. Seriously, unlock him first. The Elementalist is just stupid. He can do everything and do it well.
Necromancer - A mix of AoE and Control, but no Barrier. :(
Arcane Warrior - Just as busted as the Single Player would lead you to believe. Melee everything and be (nearly) immortal while you do it.

Loot

Boy I hope you love vendor trash! 99% of the items you get are garbage, worthless except for the scraps you get from salvaging them. Items come from one of two places. They can be found in mission, inside chests that are locked behind class specific doors, or they can be purchased outside missions for gold or platinum (the real money currency). Gold is acquired from in game chests, breakable pots and awarded for completing mission objectives. Provided you unlock every door, crack open every pot and complete every assignment you can expect the various difficulties to award approximately;

Routine - 400g
Threatening - 800g
Perilous - 1200g

Crafting

Speaking of salvaging items, all those materials you get can be used to craft Armor and Weapon Upgrades. Weapon Upgrades are just like in Single Player, Armor is a bit different.

Each class has several tiers of armor, and the stats are fixed. Tier 1 and 2 class armors can be crafted and it doesn't matter what materials you use when crafting, so it is highly advised you only use Tier 1 mats when crafting class armor. Save your T2 and 3 stuff for weapon upgrades. Additionally each Tier of armor has a sub-upgrade with three different cosmetic options. These upgrades do provide a stat boost, but they are identical aside from being a different color, so you only need craft one of the three.

Yes, this is all very esoteric and the game does a really lovely job of explaining it. It doesn't even let you preview the color choices for the cosmetic armor upgrades, it just gives you a vague hint in parenthesis. For example the Arcane Warrior T1 upgrade gets to choose between (Mind), (Heart) and (Spirit). I crafted (Heart) and it turned out to be red, so whatever!

Maths

The in game tooltips are a little sparse, so here's a list of what the core stats actually do.

Strength:
.5% Attack (Warriors)
1% Guard Damage Bonus

Will
.5% Attack (All)
.5% Magic Defense Bonus

Magic
.5% Attack (Mages)
1% Barrier Damage Bonus

Cunning
.5% Critical Chance
.5% Ranged Defense Bonus

Constitution
.5% Melee Defense
5 HP

Dexterity
.5% Attack (Rogues)
1% Critical Damage Bonus

Tips

Break open pots! 25-33% of the gold you get from a run comes out of those stupid little breakable pots. They're buggy and annoying, but also one of the best time/value propositions in the game.

Stick together. Even more important than it was in ME 3, since a lot of class abilities and triggers are group oriented and have a limited range. Running forward before your Keeper has a chance to Barrier the party is a good way to both give him conniptions and wipe the group. Additionally, any time someone dies the enemies get stronger. So not only did your dumb rear end get killed, but you've made life harder for your surviving teammates. Don't be that guy.

There is a staggering array of potions in the game, and nearly all of them do something useful. Some, like the Might Offense or Regen pots should be shepherded for dire times, but many others are pure filler and you get tons of them from chests. Load out at least one of your four potion slots with something expendable and spam that poo poo, cause otherwise they'll just gather cobwebs.

Pick a class that fits your play style. Unlike ME 3, not everyone is DPS. If you're going to play a Legionnaire or a Keeper then play to their strengths (tanking and support respectively). If you just want to hold down the left mouse/trigger and watch damage numbers pop up that's fine, but don't waste a party slot playing a class that isn't suited to the role. There's plenty of options to go around and odds are good if there's a style you enjoyed in single player then at least one of the classes on offer can replicate that experience.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FAQ

How do I unlock new classes?

By either crafting or finding one of their armor sets.

Where do I get the materials for crafting?

Crafting mats are obtained by salvaging items. Go into your inventory and select an item, you should see an 'salvage' option at the bottom of the screen.

How do I promote my level 20?

Go to character select, click on your desired level 20. You should see a 'promote' option at the bottom of the screen.

How do I select custom titles, banners and icons?

These are all buried in in the Prestige tab, under challenges. You need to select the specific challenge, then click between the various increments to find and enable the rewards. Maybe there's a better way to do this, but I haven't found it yet!

Class Builds:

Alchemist:
Shatterstrike - A nonstandard alchemist build

Arcane Warrior:
Hey where'd those mobs go? - The Nuke Arcane Warrior - VDay
Arcane Warrior, the Elf-punk Vanguard - Skippy McPants

Elementalist:
Why you Should Unlock the Elementalist - Skippy McPants

Hunter
Hunter Builds - AngryBooch

Katari
Katari Build - AngryBooch

Legionnaire
The Legionnaire, another 48 hours (in the deep roads) - Skippy McPants

Necromancer:
I guess I'll go first - Aggro/Tank Necromancer - VDay

Reaver
The Reaver - Red Crown

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 28, 2014

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Why you Should Unlock the Elementalist

Overview:

I have an idea! Let's give a one of our classes the best support skill the game, plus a bunch of options for AoE, CC, survival and single target DPS. The Elementalist is the master of all trades, and the only thing he cannot do is face tank. Most other classes have 3-5 strong active skill choices, the Elementalist has nearly ten.

Primary Actives:

The glib answer is whatever the hell you want, but I'm going to provide a list of what I consider to be the most optimal choices for the class.

Barrier: This is your one core skill. The only reason you wouldn't take it is to be a greedy rear end in a top hat. Barrier is one of the best spells in the game and you're one of only two classes who can run it, so man up and if you insist on being greedy add in Chaotic Focus/Fire Mine for hilarious combo damage.

Firestorm: Massive AoE and CC on a long cooldown... or it would be a long cooldown if Flashpoint didn't totally negate it. This spell flattens big groups and is a godsend on the boss wave. Drop it on a coke point and have faith that anything crossing its area of effect will either die or get stuck there until the duration runs out.

Wall of Fire/Fire Mine/Immolate: This is your primary DPS spell and it's dealer's choice really. My preference is Wall of Fire, since I don't mind losing the Chaotic Focus buff for the extra CC and area denial it gives you. Mine and Immo are completely valid options though, whatever floats your boat.

Fade Step or Fade Cloak: I like Fade Step for the added mobility, but either will do the job. This is your escape spell, good for getting away from Archers or dodging the Demon Boss. If you have 100% faith in your positioning and reflexes you can skip this, but I wouldn't. The Elementalist excels at babying terrible groups, and your other three skills can handle that task, it's worth giving up one slot to ensure you can get yourself out of a tight spot when your party can't be counted on to assist.

Optional Actives:

Winter's Grasp/Stone Fist: These combo for pretty good single target DPS, but why pick dudes off one at a time when you can kill everybody at once?

Important Passives:

Flashpoint - Managed correctly, this will let you cheat the massive cooldown on Firestorm.
Death Siphon - Free healing on every kill, and you kill a lot of stuff. Will keep you topped off between waves.

Trap Skills:

Lighting Bolt, Ice Mine, Energy Barrage, and Flashfire: These are all trash. Don't waste your time on them.

Build Path:

Race down the Destruction tree to unlock Firestorm by level 6. This will also get you Flashpoint, Clean Burn and Pyromancer, which are all solid passives. After than do a second sprint down the Control tree to get Barrier by level 10. Level 11 should be Death Siphon, it's not an active, but it's too good to be put off any longer. After that fill out your desired Actives and their upgrades. If you went with Immolate or Fire Mine as your DPS choice then remember to grab Chaotic Focus. At this point you should have 4-5 points left to fill out the remaining passives. The following are all good choices;

Strength of Spirits
Control of the Elements
Defiant
Gathering Storm

Strategy:

Barrier your group, spam your DPS spell on small packs and drop Firestorm on the large group at the end of each wave. The only real trick to this build is using your Auto Attack to fish for Flashpoint procs. Whenever you get one it grants you a 'free' Firestorm. So long as you're cautious not to waste it on a Barrier or Wall of Fire you can keep Firestorm going almost full time on the boss wave, which makes the entire thing almost trivial.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 6, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish you could design your own character and just unlock classes like you already do. That and multiplayer really needs more maps, only three to start with is pretty weak considering how small and simple they are. I assume this will be like ME3 though where we will get maps for free.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I said come in! posted:

I wish you could design your own character and just unlock classes like you already do. That and multiplayer really needs more maps, only three to start with is pretty weak considering how small and simple they are. I assume this will be like ME3 though where we will get maps for free.

I felt that way initially as well, but as it turns out the tilesets all have a fair bit of variation so no two Orlesian Chateaus will have the same layout. More is always better though, hopefully this is supported like the excellent ME3 MP.

Anyway I'm just starting out, add ecalogia to Origin please!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Skippy McPants posted:

It doesn't even let you preview the color choices for the cosmetic armor upgrades, it just gives you a vague hint in parenthesis. For example the Arcane Warrior T1 upgrade gets to choose between (Mind), (Heart) and (Spirit). I crafted (Heart) and it turned out to be red, so whatever!

Well, sort of. I made Crack Alchemist's (Smoke) thinking it would be like grey or black or you know, smoke colored.

Clearly the one that is (Cinder) is the one that is smoke colored and the one that is (Smoke) is the one that is fire colored.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Is there any way beyond playing Elementalist to make the game not boring and a terrible grind? I'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun here but while I had tons of good times playing ME3's multiplayer (as I keep saying it is the best part of that game) the multiplayer in DA:I just seems like a slog you play for no reason at all.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Would I be a fool to only buy Dragon Age for the multiplayer? I'm a sucker for co-op survival.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

Would I be a fool to only buy Dragon Age for the multiplayer? I'm a sucker for co-op survival.

I don't think so. It's about as good as the ME 3 multiplayer and if it receives anything like the amount of support that did there'll be a lot of additions down the line.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Donnerberg posted:

Yes, it's not a survival mode and it's a worse multiplayer than Mass Effect at the moment. Stick with Mass Effect, if you can. If they add more content, it will be better, but the underlying systems aren't as good or satisfying. Wait to see what their multiplayer plans are and if they release significantly impressive content for free, pick it up for cheaper down the road.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Donnerberg posted:

Yes. I like the multiplayer here, but DAI is really all about the single player.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Miscellaneous observations:

- Unless you want to die all the time to back swings get the ranged attack on the Assassin. This will also make you marginally useful on the demon boss.

- A Keeper with boosted barrier and dispel can make the demon boss a lot easier.

- Arcane Warrior + Elementalist = easy mode.

I'm guessing that the decision to leave out push to talk is yet another console feature but I don't understand not being able to choose the enemy faction like ME3.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Donnerberg posted:

I'm going to get it for coop too so you're not the only fool.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Is there any way beyond playing Elementalist to make the game not boring and a terrible grind? I'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun here but while I had tons of good times playing ME3's multiplayer (as I keep saying it is the best part of that game) the multiplayer in DA:I just seems like a slog you play for no reason at all.

The Necromancer is a lot of fun too. Sadly she's kind of a strictly worse Elementalist. She has an equivalent amount of crazy AoE CC and Damage, but totally lacks Barrier for no discernible reason.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Assassin is tons of fun to play so long as the game doesn't decide to bug out and not recognize that I am in stealth.

Aside from the bugs, the biggest problem with the Assassin is that when archers begin drawing back their bows, they can see me even if I go into stealth. So if I attack an enemy within sight of an archer and immediately stealth, they will still have had enough time to start drawing their arrow which means that until they fire that arrow they still see me perfectly. The only way to avoid getting hit is to hide behind a wall and let the archer fire.

Also, the demon boss is incredibly poorly designed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Spaseman posted:

Also, the demon boss is incredibly poorly designed.

He'd be fine if he did the AoE terror less. Having the one shot teleport to punish kiting is fine, but he ought to almost never do it if properly tanked. Maybe there's a way to tank him that prevents the fear/teleport, but I haven't found it yet.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
I wish I could salvage some of the two Keeper and three Archer tunics I have, but for some reason, they aren't salvageable. :(

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

He'd be fine if he did the AoE terror less. Having the one shot teleport to punish kiting is fine, but he ought to almost never do it if properly tanked. Maybe there's a way to tank him that prevents the fear/teleport, but I haven't found it yet.

The way he fucks with movement is ludicrously hard to deal with. I finally nailed it down as tank but if there's dudes left while fighting him it feels hopeless.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a push-to-talk key that I'm missing? Can't find it anywhere under options. As a helpful tip to those who don't already know, F4 is the "get over here" button you can use to make your useless rogues unlock doors for you.

I thought this multiplayer was too easy until I started playing with a class who didn't have Barrier, then I realized Barrier spam was probably the only thing keeping the pugs in this game from falling over and dying in every other room.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

exquisite tea posted:

Is there a push-to-talk key that I'm missing? Can't find it anywhere under options. As a helpful tip to those who don't already know, F4 is the "get over here" button you can use to make your useless rogues unlock doors for you.

I thought this multiplayer was too easy until I started playing with a class who didn't have Barrier, then I realized Barrier spam was probably the only thing keeping the pugs in this game from falling over and dying in every other room.

No push-to-talk which is pretty terrible but at least you can mute others.

Has anyone tried whether it's possible to make an infinite-whirlwind Katari?

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

Oh hey finally a thread for multiplayer!

This game loves to just throw 2handers at me when all I really want are better staves :(

While it's made playing Reaver hilariously funny to play the Rampage bug kills a lot of my joy.

Also if you aren't playing a kamikaze Arcane Warrior (Rift > Fade Step > Fade Cloak (detonate)) you're doing it wrong.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yay multiplayer thread :toot:

Is there a database anywhere of what all the various armors look like? It's kind of dumb that you have no idea what the armor you're crafting actually looks like until you waste a bunch of materials on it. Bonus points when the advanced version of an armor inexplicably has a completely different color scheme than the basic version with the same suffix.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I unlocked the Templar last night and bee lined for Wrath of Heaven. Is the Wrath of Heaven -> Spell Purge combo effective in multiplayer against enemies besides demons? Not that it matters because Demons are the worst loving assholes and everyone can usually beat Venatori, and semi-reliably beat Red Templars.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

AngryBooch posted:

I unlocked the Templar last night and bee lined for Wrath of Heaven. Is the Wrath of Heaven -> Spell Purge combo effective in multiplayer against enemies besides demons? Not that it matters because Demons are the worst loving assholes and everyone can usually beat Venatori, and semi-reliably beat Red Templars.

It is effective against everything to my knowledge. Whether that is by default or through the Mage-Slayer passive I'm not sure though.

Templar WoH/SP combo is so hilariously fun. Get a barrier, rush into mob of enemies, pop Unbowed right into the combo, finish fight with max guard and just about everything dead by your hand alone.

Key issue with this is you are a bit of a one-trick pony. If mobs are too spread out, you are significantly less effective, and really not very effective at all for actually tanking a boss. You do your combo, and hope everything is dead by the time your barrier/guard wears off. Beyond that, you're kind of just a poor DPS. I certainly wouldn't play Templar any other way though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Skippy McPants posted:

Why you Should Unlock the Elementalist
Holy poo poo is this ever true. Barrier is one of the most important elements to any match I've been in - unless someone's twice the level appropriate for the difficulty and carrying everyone else. The first thing every keeper and ele should do is upgrade their barrier's cooldown because holy gently caress is it helpful to stack them on a tank.

Being a low level tank is awful though.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Is there a place you guys are coordinating to play?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm just quick matching with pubs on 360. If you read the thread OPs you might find a google doc though.

loving hell, whenever poo poo hits the fan every pubby just SCATTERS when they really need to just cluster on top of each other so all the keepers can spam barrier to keep them from going down.

Down-dpad is "come here!" and Right-dpad is "thanks/good job", left seems to be "negative!"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

VDay posted:

Yay multiplayer thread :toot:

Is there a database anywhere of what all the various armors look like? It's kind of dumb that you have no idea what the armor you're crafting actually looks like until you waste a bunch of materials on it. Bonus points when the advanced version of an armor inexplicably has a completely different color scheme than the basic version with the same suffix.

This is the best I've found so far;

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/527909-multiplayer-armor-pics-thread/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
laffo, just got into a game with two people who were using mics and had a great run. We start the next match and the fourth player (elementalist one level above the rest of the group) butts in claiming he was "carrying it for you all bitches. I got 90 kills."

Yeah, really sorry that I was keeping you alive the whole time with my suckage, elementalist who doesn't know how to shield himself, and who doesn't notice that my passive is giving you multiple, free full heals per stage.. :dawkins101:

The keeper skill that full heals the party when you get incapped is amazing, beeline toward it imho. Nobody wants to burn health potions and would usually rather lose the match, in my experience. :(

edit: I've done about 10 matches now, and won several.. Why do I appear to have ZERO crafting mats? What am I missing? :(

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 6, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

coyo7e posted:

edit: I've done about 10 matches now, and won several.. Why do I appear to have ZERO crafting mats? What am I missing? :(

Press Y(on controller) to break down weapons n poo poo you dont want. You get materials out of them.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

coyo7e posted:

laffo, just got into a game with two people who were using mics and had a great run. We start the next match and the fourth player (elementalist one level above the rest of the group) butts in claiming he was "carrying it for you all bitches. I got 90 kills."

Yeah, really sorry that I was keeping you alive the whole time with my suckage, elementalist who doesn't know how to shield himself, and who doesn't notice that my passive is giving you multiple, free full heals per stage.. :dawkins101:

The keeper skill that full heals the party when you get incapped is amazing, beeline toward it imho. Nobody wants to burn health potions and would usually rather lose the match, in my experience. :(

If the Ele has Death Siphon, as he should, he heals himself for every dead enemy. Also, you can only be revived a few set number of times, I think maybe 3? Dying on purpose to heal others is frankly... a bit dumb, unless it is a pivotal moment in the boss fight perhaps, but I'd rather just avoid that by doing a good job as Keeper and not letting anyone die in the first place.

Ele and AW do tend to be assholes though I find, and you see that powergamer kind of mentality wherein they'll run off on their own and kill everything just because they can and act like they are such hot poo poo.

As for crafting mats, you get them from salvaging gear obtained from in-game chests, and the store bought ones. 99% of all of it is utter garbage, so you salvage them into crafting mats. Do some runs, get 1200 gold, buy a large chest, and weep as you get nothing but salvage material and nothing of any actual worth or use, then use the crafting mats to make new classes. Repeat the process every 1200 gold.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Cool yeah I feel really dumb I was waiting for mats to drop from chests and poo poo. I have a level 10 keeper but it seems as though the game forces drops to be everything BUT your class 99% of the time. I've literally only seen 1 staff drop and 20+ other weapons.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's just RNG being typically goofy, it'll all balance out ~*eventually*~.

I opened a chest earlier today that had a level 20 dagger, a level 21 axe, a level 20 rare staff, a rune, and some level 10 sword. Next chest gave me four level 1 weapons and like a level 5 armor upgrade. :shrug:

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

You should probably put the google doc that lists people for multiplayer - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DqMZmV4o0z2BLbjXkH7LSbR1HtQ7OVofEyliPaQt9Bk/edit#gid=0 - and that a lot of people are using the irc channel (#ridethebull on SynIRC) to organize MP games in the op or something.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'll post some full builds a little later once I get them all down on paper, but just want to say that you shouldn't shy away from Necromancer and Arcane Warrior just based on the OP's recommendation of going Elementalist. Necro has a great AoE/tank option which is really helpful when you get matched into a group of all mages/rogues and need someone to initiate, and AW has a hilariously powerful AoE nuke while being able to generate plenty of barrier without needing to actually cast it.

Also kind of a small tip: in treasure chest rooms (ie: the ones you need a specific class to get into), if the chest is gold, it means a mini-boss will spawn when you try to open it. If the chest is brown/black/whatever color it normally is, then you're fine and it'll immediately give you an item/gold. If some enemies spawned as soon as you got into the room, then the chest will be safe to open and won't spawn an additional mini-boss.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've only been at it a few days but cloth seems tougher to get than the other crafting materials, I get far fewer trash staves than swords/bows/shields. I crafted a katari but I've had zero luck getting new characters from chests too - five armor drops, five skins for Archer/Keeper.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Arcane warrior is crazy. I was playing with a pub earlier who had a mic and I was talking to him about what to use his mats to unlock. I said "I hear Arcane Warrior is crazy." He started a level 1 AW and rejoined our 10-15ish group, and was getting piles of kills. Then in the fourth stage of the level he goes "OH poo poo I CAN SPAM THE RB LIGHTSABER HOLY gently caress".

He was made of paper because he was level one, but tearing almost everything but bosses up solo - taking out 3 and 4 enemies at a time solo in rooms away from the rest of the party.

I think that Ele is emphasized because there are so few real "support" classes to choose from, and they really reduce the strain and potion/death costs of everyone in the room by a huge deal. You can do a lot with a bunch of high levels, but a bunch of high levels and a mediocre guy who can throw barriers at the right moment even half the time, can really end up with nobody ever needing to use a heal potion ever.

AW gets some kind of life-leech ability as well iirc, so it'll likely end up as the popular "solo dude loving off where nobody can see him" choice.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've only been at it a few days but cloth seems tougher to get than the other crafting materials, I get far fewer trash staves than swords/bows/shields. I crafted a katari but I've had zero luck getting new characters from chests too - five armor drops, five skins for Archer/Keeper.
Getting 5 armors that don't unlock anything new is pretty bad luck, but it does happen. I think I've only crafted armors for like 4 of the 11 classes I have unlocked, the rest coming from chests with a couple of the elite/advanced armors thrown in as well. You're totally right though, Cloth is stupidly rare compared to the other main class materials.

coyo7e posted:

Arcane warrior is crazy. I was playing with a pub earlier who had a mic and I was talking to him about what to use his mats to unlock. I said "I hear Arcane Warrior is crazy." He started a level 1 AW and rejoined our 10-15ish group, and was getting piles of kills. Then in the fourth stage of the level he goes "OH poo poo I CAN SPAM THE RB LIGHTSABER HOLY gently caress".

He was made of paper because he was level one, but tearing almost everything but bosses up solo - taking out 3 and 4 enemies at a time solo in rooms away from the rest of the party.

AW gets some kind of life-leech ability as well iirc, so it'll likely end up as the popular "solo dude loving off where nobody can see him" choice.
AW is arguably the best Level 1 class in the game. Chain Lightning and Spirit Blade are like two of the 5 best AW skills so getting them right off the bat is a huge help, especially compared to something like Necromancer which has to deal with using Winter's Grasp and scaring mobs for the first 3-4 levels. CL doesn't miss, has a pretty big AoE thanks to bouncing from enemy to enemy, has a low cooldown, shocks anything it hits, and does great damage as long as there is more than 1 thing to hit. Then you get your lightsaber as an AoE "Oh poo poo" button in case something gets close.

There's no life-leech but you generate your own barrier through damage. An upgraded chain lightning on a mob will give you like ~75% of your barrier, letting you run in and drop the Pull of the Abyss + Fade Cloak nuke, which then refills your barrier, etc etc.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

VDay posted:

There's no life-leech but you generate your own barrier through damage. An upgraded chain lightning on a mob will give you like ~75% of your barrier, letting you run in and drop the Pull of the Abyss + Fade Cloak nuke, which then refills your barrier, etc etc.
Sounds about like what I was hearing although the guy I was with claimed there was also some health-regen thing in there as well. I dunno, xbox live ate poo poo due to some video game "hacker" group DDOSing it again, so I'm watching football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When did Bioware add in those really expensive chests that had rare weapons in them in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer? I'd love for those to make their way into this multiplayer.

Oh and unlock Necromancer. Walking Bomb, Horror and that one skill where you kill dudes the status affects transfer to all the enemies in the vicinity makes it a really fun and broken class to play.

• Locked thread