Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I wonder if there will be an episode that is "what if Netflix but too much"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

There already is. If you watch Black Mirror for three episodes in a row, there's an Easter egg where Netflix says "Are you sure you want to keep watching?" and ominously gives you the option to continue or refuse. :v:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

In It For The Tank posted:

They got you covered.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jesus, this owns. Perfectly captures it.

Love that song too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Love that song too.

I imagine that it annoys some people that it's become a sort of Black Mirror theme song but I have to say: it's a great song, and it often fits the mood of the show, a kind of desperate clinging and obsessive devotion in a way that engenders both empathy and horror.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Sup San Junipero haters

http://ew.com/awards/2017/09/17/black-mirror-san-junipero-emmy/

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

I just watched the first episode and it was weird and kind of stupid. Like if that happened in real life, there's no way a country's population would go "yeah, our country's leader better gently caress that pig or we'll riot and maybe kill them!"

I mean, honestly there probably ARE a lot of crazy people that send world leaders bizarre threats and demands.... But the difference is that these threats and demands don't get broadcast over every news network and then have the entire government/population say to the leader "um... maybe you SHOULD just give in to that crazy person's demand?"

Because that idea is just loving stupid.... Just like that episode was just loving stupid. No, I don't think I will be watching anymore episodes :colbert:

I'm kind of annoyed that this show was featured on my "recommended shows" list for some reason

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 18, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

That ep isn't much like the rest fwiw, try another one or two

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrunkPanda posted:

I just watched the first episode and it was weird and kind of stupid. Like if that happened in real life, there's no way a country's population would go "yeah, our country's leader better gently caress that pig or we'll riot and maybe kill them!"

I mean, honestly there probably ARE a lot of crazy people that send world leaders bizarre threats and demands.... But the difference is that these threats and demands don't get broadcast over every news network and then have the entire government/population say to the leader "um... maybe you SHOULD just give in to that crazy person's demand?"

Because that idea is just loving stupid.... Just like that episode was just loving stupid. No, I don't think I will be watching anymore episodes :colbert:

I'm kind of annoyed that this show was featured on my "recommended shows" list for some reason

David Cameron once stuck his dick in a dead pig's mouth btw

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Not saying that National Anthem is a bad episode at all, but I do think it's a bad episode to start watching the show with as it might be very unsettling to some people and they then might expect the rest of the series to be similar in them.

Back on topic : San Junipero winning the Emmy is well deserved and a nice recognition for this anthology series.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not really liking the Electric Dreams show and it somehow looks even cheaper than Black Mirror despite all the Hollywood talent behind it. I think Black Mirror's prestige will remain.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Not asking about favorite episodes, but if you could select three episodes to make someone, who never saw anything Black Mirror before, watch first. Which ones would you start with?

I would go:
- The entire history of you
- Hated in the Nation
- 15MM

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
White Christmas, San Junipero, and 15 Million Merits, I think. I wouldn't show Hated in the Nation because I would want them to actually like the show.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

White Christmas, San Junipero, and 15 Million Merits, I think. I wouldn't show Hated in the Nation because I would want them to actually like the show.

Yeah these three.

SJ first, then 15, then WC

then White Bear.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hated in the Nation is so loving boring.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DrunkPanda posted:

So do you not know what an anthology is or what

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

BSam posted:

Yeah these three.

SJ first, then 15, then WC

then White Bear.

San Junipero loses something when you haven't been conditioned to fear the worst

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'd show SJ last of the three

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
15MM, San Junipero and...White Christmas maybe?

Mu Zeta posted:

And yet no other piece of fiction has dared to ask "what if a hashtag could kill...with bees."

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah I'd show SJ last of the three

Agree,

And I on purpose didn't include in the first three as I would want the person to experience some gems later on. Starting with the 3 best episodes would be a bad idea.
For example I did not really like Nosedive so much (I felt really bad in her place....but i guess that's the whole idea).. but I do think it was a perfect season opener.

I still thing the EHOY is a great first episode to watch as it embodies the "what if...but too much" really well.

Also even though the episodes have no 'timeline' or order, some technologies get referenced back later on. So showing SJ before WC that introduces the cookie is not the best idea. (but no drama if you do)
Showing WC too early isn't perfect either as it introduces too much new stuff, and somewhat uses EHOY technology.

I'll revise my order list to
1 : EHOY, 2 : 15MM ... and then White Bear.

(PS, apparently I liked Hated in the Nation more than most of you, but I do like some detective series too)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Show them Shut Up and Dance and drop the mic.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hated in the Nation has two major thing against it for me: the cliche crime drama/ police procedural element, and the needlessly long length.

Also I hate when people complain about this show because "that wouldn't happen in real life." That's the whole point of the show, exaggerating the worst aspects of society and humanity so we can, you know, reflect on them. I get that that's not for everyone, but a lot of people seem to struggle with how seriously you should take the scenarios.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It'd be like arguing the Twilight Zone isn't realistic. Yeah no poo poo it's not meant to be

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

SJ is one of my favorite episodes but I don't know if I'd use it to introduce someone to the show. Partly because it's not very representative of the tone of the rest of the series, and partly because that tonal difference is a big part of why it works - you sort of need to already be familiar with Black Mirror. It's still a nice enough story that someone could watch it on its own and like it, but I just feel that it works better in the context of having seen the rest of Black Mirror.

White Christmas was the first one I ever saw and I'd say that's a great one to get people into the show. It's basically an anthology episode in an anthology series, so it's the perfect little microcosm of what the show is about. After that, probably 15MM just because it's a good episode and tells a small, self-contained story despite having the most dystopian/sci-fi setting of the whole series. For the third one White Bear seems an easy choice since it's probably the purest expression of the show's main themes of any episode.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was never an SJ hater, to be sure, I just think it's a little creepier than people emphasize.

I wonder if this Downsizing thing will be part Black Mirror-satire. Feel like we're ripe for something like that.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Mu Zeta posted:

somehow looks even cheaper than Black Mirror

Well, this is uncalled for.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

San Junipero loses a lot because its ending is at such tonal odds with the established narrative arc, it really undercuts the message it is attempting to send, and feels like Brooker trying blatantly to force a happy ending in a show that established a bittersweet one as the only honest one. It is an extremely well done episode but loses a LOT in the last five minutes, and it basically all should have been cut for the episode to feel emotionally honest.

Hating SJ is weird but pretending like that ending makes any sense coming on the heels of what came immediately before is also weird. Arguably weirder.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't want to rehash but I found the ending bittersweet at first viewing, which is why it worked for me tonally. I guess a lot of people didn't get that vibe from it, & that's fine, but that whole final montage with the music playing and them being placed by robot in some random cog in a server room "forever" just creeped me out. It felt bittersweet to me.
I'm not saying I wouldn't (or maybe...won't!) take that deal if I were like an 90 year old of the millennial generation, but there is still something fundamentally terrifying about it to me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Having one of the main characters lay out a perfectly logical reason why she wouldn't want to go to SJ, without denying her sexuality, while also and validly calling out the other main character as being selfish and entitled, only for her to decide to go to SJ anyways without ever giving onscreen justification as to why makes everything she said either a lie or her into a coward, and either way does a whole lot of damage to her agency. It also completely undercuts the marriage scene as the logical endpoint of both characters' arcs, because its not the end, its basically an overlong aside.

Its really hard to overstate how badly the credits sequence fucks up SJ, because hoo boy does it come across as Brooker either not understanding the points of view of his characters or just not caring about them.

Like the point of SJ is that loss is real and permanent and healthy, and that taking refuge in a fantasy without recognizing and accepting that loss is extremely UNhealthy. That's the point. Which it then throws out the window to have the two mains hook up.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 18, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Having one of the main characters lay out a perfectly logical reason why she wouldn't want to go to SJ, without denying her sexuality, while also and validly calling out the other main character as being selfish and entitled, only for her to decide to go to SJ anyways without ever giving onscreen justification as to why makes everything she said either a lie or her into a coward, and either way does a whole lot of damage to her agency. It also completely undercuts the marriage scene as the logical endpoint of both characters' arcs, because its not the end, its basically an overlong aside.

I really disagree. The reasons set up her resistance, but the entire episode seems to provide an alternative: that she enjoys her life in San Junipero enormously and is resisting going there out of misplaced loyalty for people who are no longer around to be loyal too. We've seen her wrestling with these ideas the entire episode, trapped between two worlds because she feels unable to commit to the one that will hold her. We find out the reasons she is wrestling with them, but we don't need the show to spell out the decision-making as to why she changes her mind, because it's established in the way she lives her (after)life. Her claims that Yorkie is privileged are fairly unfounded given her life. Their argument is because of a misunderstanding based on information that Yorkie doesn't have. The philosophical debate has been laid out and the uncertainty is there, we don't need a list of reasons for the decision, or really, any denouement besides the brief one we get with the dancing lights.

I don't know why the marriage should or needs to be the "logical endpoint" (nor would it be if she stuck with her decision not to transfer to the afterlife; the signature is resolved whenever Yorkie gets or doesn't get what she is seeking, which in this case is more than just being euthanized).

e:

Like the point of SJ is that loss is real and permanent and healthy, and that taking refuge in a fantasy without recognizing and accepting that loss is extremely UNhealthy. That's the point. Which it then throws out the window to have the two mains hook up.

That is very, very definitely not the point, and the episode makes the case that San Junipero is not taking refuge in a fantasy, and that people without the opportunity to experience it have missed out on something important.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I showed White Christmas to my wife. After it ended, she said she felt really sad and to never try and show her something like that ever again.

It's been a few months, maybe I'll throw on Shut Up and Dance this weekend and see how she reacts now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
San Junipero still totally felt like a refuge in fantasy for me, I just didn't find the characters inconsistent. She just finally gives in and gets to be one of many blinking lights in a server room. Talk about completely giving up your entire humanity and putting it in the hands and whim of...some corporation? It's like the ultimate step. I'm sure I'd take it if I were old af too but it's definitely creepy and I'm not sure how you can look at it and not see escapism. They talk about how hollow the people are who've just been there forever and ever, past their physical deaths. It's a world of the most surface level nostalgia, how could it not be taking refuge in fantasy?
I couldn't not see it as bittersweet, I don't think the lady who was resisting was ever "proven wrong". She had plenty of criticisms and so forth that she and others put forward about existence in San Junipero that whole episode and I don't think any of them were ever really "refuted". She just finally gave in. Which fine, I understand. I would have too. Still creepy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like I think the reason people so readily leap to the conclusion that SJ comes off as critical of the simulated afterlife is because we're primed, not only by Black Mirror itself, but by all of science fiction to be distrustful of that, and to think of it as some kind of a half-life. Even relatively positive depictions like Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom still have to go out of their way to have characters discuss whether it's real, or whether some digital version is sauntering off with a new life while we die (and it makes us distrust the technology fairly early on by having someone experience a malfunction in their back up and lose time, suffering a depression as a result of it). That's kind of the genius of San Junipero, is that it takes all of that distrust and makes that the twist, that whatever philosophical issues there are behind the continuation of the self or how not experiencing loss changes people (sometimes for the worse), there is a benevolence to the technology that can benefit people who didn't get a real chance to be themselves, a second chance for unrealized potential. It takes the assertion that having an eternity of youth is selfish and turns that on its head by providing an example of someone who lost her youth (and the rest of her life) for all the wrong reasons. She gets a chance to avoid the bigotry that destroyed her and grow into the identity she was denied in her own time, and if a bunch of weirdos tired of the afterlife are having weird sex at a club in the meantime, who cares?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i always tell people to watch shut up and dance first.

Mu Zeta posted:

yup.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I actually think The National Anthem is a good starting point as it was intended to be. It goes to horrible places as Black Mirror usually does, the whole theme is about how perception in the age of the Internet can break or ruin you, which is a reoccuring theme in the series, and it stretches your suspension of disbelief - let's be fair, to enjoy Black Mirror you KINDA need to do that sometimes. I don't know if it's the pig loving, people demanding the pig loving or just the length of the episode that puts people off.

San Junipero works better after you already know what to expect. Shut Up And Dance is the one I would avoid because it's the meanest of them all, 15MM is also a good starting point if you wanna emphasize the "what if phones, but too much" aspect of it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bicyclops posted:

That is very, very definitely not the point, and the episode makes the case that San Junipero is not taking refuge in a fantasy, and that people without the opportunity to experience it have missed out on something important.

San Junipero in and of itself is not critical of SJ the location. It is absolutely, 100%, critical of people who ignore essential truths that define them only to playact in some magical consequence-free technopalace, which the ending of San Junipero plays into.

If you live in SJ but you're honest with yourself and your truth, then you're fine. If you use SJ as a way to avoid consequence, loss, reality, then you fall into failure. That's the point of San Junipero, the episode of Black Mirror. Pretending otherwise fundamentally misunderstands the message the show is attempting to send, and it's why the credits sequence is so destructive to its ultimate messaging. A main character lays out a perfectly valid reason why she doesn't want to go (and yes, her claims that Yorkie is being selfish is 100% valid, because assuming that someone was trapped in a loveless marriage of convenience is some absolutely hosed thinking that completely denies her agency), then goes back on it for literally no reason. We are left with exactly two choices: Either she didn't actually care about her dead husband as much as she claimed, ie she was lying, or she ignored the feelings she had for her husband in favor of a woman she knew for a grand total of less than a week, ie she's a coward. Either way, either way, she ignores her essential truth to play in SJ as a way to avoid consequence, loss, and reality, which the show goes out of its way to highlight how those people who do that are fundamentally broken and monstrous people.

The point of SJ is just like 90% of technological things on BM; it's not inherently good or bad, but it's prone to abuse, and abusing it is often a way to highlight moral failure. The show then presenting abusing the safety net of SJ as some extremely happy ending which is at complete and utter tonal odds with the build of the episode all to that point. If they wanted her to change her mind, they needed to show it, because cutting literally from an awesome speech that justifies not living in SJ to just deciding to do it anyways gives us the conclusion that either she was lying or she's a coward, and in either case it's not a happy ending.

I mean Charlie Brooker literally said as much when talking about San Junipero, that he felt like them splitting before Yorkie entered SJ was the ending that made sense but he wrote the credits reunion because he wanted an episode of BM to have a happy ending. It absolutely, 100% feels like a forced and completely out of nowhere shoved in ending because an author fell in love with his characters, a la JK Rowling and the Harry Potter epilogue, etc. It happens, it's just in this specific case it's very destructive to the work as a whole.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

We are left with exactly two choices: Either she didn't actually care about her dead husband as much as she claimed, ie she was lying, or she ignored the feelings she had for her husband in favor of a woman she knew for a grand total of less than a week, ie she's a coward. Either way, either way, she ignores her essential truth to play in SJ as a way to avoid consequence, loss, and reality, which the show goes out of its way to highlight how those people who do that are fundamentally broken and monstrous people.

I agree with you on the basis of what we're shown. Which is why I wish SJ was the 90-minute episode, and Hated in the Nation wasn't. There was clearly an extremely truncated third act to this story that may actually have provided insight or context for why Kelly changed her mind. I've been vocal in this thread about how I don't actually see the ending as unambiguously positive - this "heaven on earth" is portrayed as an Apple-esque consumer product, curated and controlled by a corporation and designed to placate the minds inside it as much as to preserve them. But that doesn't touch on your point, which is that Kelly's rationale made a lot of sense and the ending happens in spite of it.

There's so much meat to the setting of this episode, it's almost a shame the show can't return to it. Though I disagree with the suggestion in this thread (not from Lick The Whisk) that SJ is inherently an avoidant fantasy vs. accepting biological death. It happens to be a shallow fantasy setting because of the choices TCKR made in its design (a perpetual summer in Santa Barbara with nothing but bars and dancing), but the general premise of a virtual environment that simulates embodiment for a population of digitized minds could be anything. If SJ was instead an internet-connected hub that living people could interact with, if people had the choice of doing actual work (research, design, art, music, whatever), I fail to see how it's that different from the "real world" in an existential or intellectual sense. People could create things, form relationships, etc.

What I mean is, people who choose SJ over death aren't necessarily choosing stasis or hedonism or whatever. They're choosing to continue existence as they've known it. It's a condemnation of the company that your only option is a beach vacation where you listen to music from 50 years ago and gently caress in a dungeon.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dias posted:

Shut Up And Dance is the one I would avoid because it's the meanest of them all,

I think that it's impossible to top White Bear in terms of meanness.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Alhazred posted:

I think that it's impossible to top White Bear in terms of meanness.

White Bear is meanest to its protagonist, Shut Up and Dance is meanest to the viewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

White Christmas is the worst nightmare. Just thinking about millions of years in that room fucks me up.